What's new

Games on linux(script release)

ekard

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Hey guys, I've been making and using this script for a while now, it basically removes the hassle of setting up wine and all the RTPs.

I started making this script a couple of years ago when I got tired of setting up wine again and again. I never even thought about releasing it until recently but I figured it was usable enough to do so, and someone out there might find it useful.

What it can do:
Run .exe and .swf games
Auomaticaly setup wine prefixes with RTPs and a few tweaks
Use Japanese locale(there is no need for applocale)
Prevent games from accessing the internet
Automatically download and setup specific wine versions for games that only run on some versions (wine is downloaded from the PlayOnLinux servers)
Wipe a wine prefix, aka "Format windows" with a single command line option

I called it "Play with yourself on Linux" :p

It works on Linux Mint 17 and should be compatible with most Ubuntu based dists.

Here's the link for those interested: mega.nz/#!OlkUHB5T!DIVH4IOaPmHnYQUNU1B_YNAmktlTMpzwrhuPRdOhCJ8

Sorry about the size, the RTPs are saved in a specific way and they alone take almost 300MB

Anyways, this is something I put together after playing on linux for a while, I'm just putting it out there in case someone finds it useful.

I forgot to include the readme in the zip so here it is:
ABOUT:
Play With Yourself on Linux is a python script created to help with running windows games on linux with the help of wine.
Supports exe and swf (flash) files and contains all RTPs for RPG maker games.
PWYOL automatically installs RPG Maker RTPs while setting up the wine prefixes without the need for any user prompt.
PWYOL will automatically download wine versions from the PlayOnLinux server(saving them for later use at .resources/wine_versions).
PWYOL treats wine prefixes as disposable, allowing you to "format windows" before running a game by simply using the -w option.
PWYOL will prevent games from accessing the internet (can be disabled with the -n option)
PWYOL also sets up a fake HOME folder at ./.local/home to prevent things from slipping into your regular HOME folder.

INSTALLATION:
Simply run the "INSTALL" script as root to install any dependencies and then it should be good to go.

USAGE:
Simply run pwyol.py by specifiying the game folder or executable as an argument.
eg:
./pwyol.py /path/to/game
./pwyol.py /path/to/game/run.exe
./pwyol.py /path/to/game/mamamia.swf

By default PWYOL will use wine version 1.8.1, but you can use another version by pecifying it with the -v option
eg.
./pwyol.py /path/to/game -v 1.6.2
./pwyol.py -v 1.9.6 /path/to/game/run.exe

Alternatively you can change the default version by editing pwyol.py and editing the "DEFAULT_WINE_VERSION = '1.8.1'" line.

For more options use the --help command.

ISSUES:
Some games don't keep save data on their installation folder, wiping (-w) a prefix will likely wipe your progress as well. An Example would be games that keep their save data in %AppData%

Last edited:

gmtmpac

Reputation score
Re: Games on linux(script release)

Thank you so much for your work!

Now to go back to lurking...