What's new

In today's news...

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

The long term result, scientists project, could be to noticeably raise global sea levels by 10 centimeters, or almost four inches
Well shitstains...

Also live on a bit of a hill so safe enough, but... holy shit. Wonder if anyone still doubts global warming. :/

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Well shitstains...

Also live on a bit of a hill so safe enough, but... holy shit. Wonder if anyone still doubts global warming. :/
Playing Devil's Advocate, it's been proven that the hype around the so-called "established experts" is overblown. Continuing the role, we have maybe 200yrs of meteorological data to go by, and even that's questionable. How, then, we can determine the impact of our own contribution to how the planet experiences shifts in both weather patterns and landmasses shifting around and even vanishing on a scale as grand as our peers and leaders would have us believe is nothing aside ignorance and a lack of perspective.

I'm no advocate for simply disregarding the possibility of our impact, but some perspective here. The planet has been around 6 billion+ years, a huge number more than we were even conceived as an amoeba before becoming a fully-realized species. I doubt our stupidity is going to suddenly turn it into a smoldering chunk of charcoal or tear it asunder.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

There are people on both sides of that debate exaggerating and/or minimizing for their own profit, though at times it gets comical with people literally denying that there is any change of note whatsoever.
Personally, I'm not sure why it's even a debate. Regardless of exactly HOW bad it is, it can't be a great idea to pollute the shit out of the planet. We kind of live here and we probably will live here for a long time more. You don't just throw trash under the carpet and hope it goes away either

Cappy

Reputation score

There are people on both sides of that debate exaggerating and/or minimizing for their own profit, though at times it gets comical with people literally denying that there is any change of note whatsoever. Personally, I'm not sure why it's even a debate. Regardless of exactly HOW bad it is, it can't be a great idea to pollute the shit out of the planet. We kind of live here and we probably will live here for a long time more. You don't just throw trash under the carpet and hope it goes away either
Indeed, and adding my own 2 cents, it's worth noting that just a small change in a chemical atmosphere can have rather drastic results at the correct moment. The habitability level for planets in general, is narrow in terms of "what is good", in relation to humanity specifically. Not that having other species just start to drop dead would be particularly palatable either.

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Another two pence, and this based upon observations made via various media and gazing vacantly; its already been shown that the computers used by the former global-warming lobby, now climate change lobby (because their facts regarding global warming, specifically, continued to turn out not to be terribly factual), were both out-dated and repeatedly wrong. Scientific studies supporting such a thing have been shown to be 'sexed up' or, if you will, altered to better support their case.

Interestingly, I can't remember if it was specifically north/south pole, antarctic or such -excellent geologist dragonwoofer- but one has been shown to grow in size, while another may be reducing in size.

A issue with the climate-change advocates, as opposed to normal and natural climate-change, both as science and a political lobby, is that records used to make their predictions or base facts upon don't seem to be very long term, i.e first time we're seriously making an effort to record what happens in the planet, nevermind the fact climate change happens via cycles, variables and constants - not every event can be turned into a pro-climate-change issue when it's not actually unprecedented.

In addition if I may, take a pinch of salt if you wish, but some scientists have apparently said that with all the things humanity have done, we've accelerated global warming by about... 300 years. In cycles involving millions of years.

Oh, fun fact, again a apparently, Great Britain used to have a tropical environment, as opposed to the typical cool and wet it has now, ergo that suggests we've gotten colder here over the many, many, many years.

All this is -not- to say, however, I'm not even remotely against any rational conversation, debate or attempt at reducing the effect on local or international environments, in general, just that I keep seeing, hearing or reading apocalyptic warnings by scientists or people/celebrities who think they know better, only for such predictions to be wholly inaccurate, or backfire and become the opposite of what is happening. Call me cynical-realist if you like.

Last edited:

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh, fun fact, again a apparently, Great Britain used to have a tropical environment, as opposed to the typical cool and wet it has now, ergo that suggests we've gotten colder here over the many, many, many years.
This is true, the peaks of the pennines are covered in reddish moorland.
This isn't a natural thing, there used to be forests up there but the early Britons cut them down to make way for farmland.

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

This is true, the peaks of the pennines are covered in reddish moorland.
This isn't a natural thing, there used to be forests up there but the early Britons cut them down to make way for farmland.
Meanwhile, in California...

The appropriate reaction:

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

To continue on this topic, there is already evidence that man-made events can effect global temperature.
The indians in the US cut down and burned so many trees in medieval times that it caused a few decades of extra-cold weather all the way over in Europe.

So now that industrialization is global, and we're burning coal and oil all over the place for power, chances are that it is going to have some effect on it all. Even if we aren't entirely sure what that effect is

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

To continue on this topic, there is already evidence that man-made events can effect global temperature.
The indians in the US cut down and burned so many trees in medieval times that it caused a few decades of extra-cold weather all the way over in Europe.

So now that industrialization is global, and we're burning coal and oil all over the place for power, chances are that it is going to have some effect on it all. Even if we aren't entirely sure what that effect is
I don't mean to insinuate what you're saying is incorrect or otherwise, but I would need a citation for that first one. I find it difficult to believe that a) a tribal people who kept their distance from each other and were, for the most part, nomadic "hippies" could produce that much carbon and deforestation, and b) that the effects would be felt that immediately several thousand miles away.

There is (speculative) evidence to suggest the dinosaurs produced more greenhouse emissions than we currently have, and plant-eating animals are contributing a pretty good amount, too.

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

Open plains provide much better hunting grounds than dense forests, as well as not allowing your enemy to sneak up on your camp.

Indians weren't peaceful hippies, some of them were actually pretty savage.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Yeah, the Buffalo killing grounds and the Iroquis' games were a bit... deadly. Would still like a bit of proof on the deforestation bit though, most of the First Nations peoples I know of enjoy forests more than the plains.

Believe the Greenhouse Effect is well documented and undisputed among scientists, as far as I know. It does lead to less escape of energy from the atmosphere, leading to greater temperatures... As for cycles, last I heard we're supposed to be in the cooling cycle already, and I heard that years ago.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't mean to insinuate what you're saying is incorrect or otherwise, but I would need a citation for that first one. I find it difficult to believe that a) a tribal people who kept their distance from each other and were, for the most part, nomadic "hippies" could produce that much carbon and deforestation, and b) that the effects would be felt that immediately several thousand miles away.

There is (speculative) evidence to suggest the dinosaurs produced more greenhouse emissions than we currently have, and plant-eating animals are contributing a pretty good amount, too.

Correction- The little ice age was because the indians died in large numbers so the trees could grow again.(They've cut them at a slow pace before then)

That said, they were certainly not keeping their distance from eachother, nor anything close to hippies. There were entire religions in the americas based around sacrificing people from other tribes to the gods, and they've cut down a lot of trees for farmland all over the place. The only ones we can safely assume did not do any such things are the inuits, mostly because there weren't a lot of trees where they lived anyway.

Either way, this does imply that humanity can actively effect the global climate, so we should probably take good care of it.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Another post, because this news amused me

Act like a dick -> don't get what you want

Holier-than-thou vegan denied Swiss passport because she pissed off everyone in the town she wanted to live in with constant campaigning against Swiss life.

robdelobe

Sex Demon
Reputation score

It looks like Project Vertias is still around and they come with interesting news:

We also have a video of (alleged) leaked audio of a group to go fuck with Vice President-Elect Pence at his house:

TL;DW There may be some groups looking to disrupt The Deploraball and Harass Vice President-Elect. Fortunately, PV has alerted law enforcement to it's findings, so here's to hoping arrests are made and the events go smoothly. No word on if anyone is acting on the info in the second video, or if it's even verified.

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

It looks like Project Vertias is still around and they come with interesting news:

We also have a video of (alleged) leaked audio of a group to go fuck with Vice President-Elect Pence at his house:

TL;DW There may be some groups looking to disrupt The Deploraball and Harass Vice President-Elect. Fortunately, PV has alerted law enforcement to it's findings, so here's to hoping arrests are made and the events go smoothly. No word on if anyone is acting on the info in the second video, or if it's even verified.
And the defense force for the inauguration:

I would love to see these anti-Trump kids try and start problems.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

We all know what happened today
But that's not what I'm posting for. I'm posting for this spark of genius that I originally thought was satire, but no, it is real.

Police Taser their own black race relations adviser after mistaking him for wanted man
How does that even happen? Seriously, how many things need to go wrong for this to happen?

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Oh, that's really cute. That is supposed to cause outrage? I'm an American, mate. People are being shot over here for much, much less. He was extremely antagonistic, arrogant, and refused to comply with any of their requests.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

We all know what happened today
But that's not what I'm posting for. I'm posting for this spark of genius that I originally thought was satire, but no, it is real.

How does that even happen? Seriously, how many things need to go wrong for this to happen?
Well, first of all guy's got a chip on his shoulder. Just tell them your fuckin name. At one point he's all like "You don't fuckin know who I am" as if he's supposed to be a big deal, while that doesn't exactly strengthen the case for 'we thought it was him' it colors :) the situation rather nicely. I'd have tasered him too!

I don't know how it works over there, but in the U.S. you've gotta identify yourself when an officer asks you to. And if you try to leave before the officer's done talking to you, it's a crime.

Would like to see a pic of the guy they were actually looking for!

Last edited: