What's new

In today's news...

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

We have some more known celebrity deaths

We just lost one of our key 60s/70s celebrities today, Mary Tyler Moore passed away at age 80.

I didn't see this reported in here but in related news, we lost Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka about a week ago at age 73.

May they both rest in peace

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

US has approved several pipeline projects; Trump is said to want to encourage American made material for the construction on the US side. Up here, the pipelines are fairly controversial but are greenlit.

Don't you remember, think it was last Tuesday, the polar bears came over the ridge and we emerged from our igloos, brandishing Kalashnikovs and singing God save the Queen...

Oh wait. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Changer

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

It is weird, and a bit dishonest to discuss the bill like it's a new thing if it's been around routinely for decades. I'm not a fan of trump, but I am a pretty big fan of truth... Wish there was a bit more of that in politics.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Not really a link to any one article, but various federal science agencies are openly defying the gag order placed on them and continuing to share science with the public. (Including the USDA which tells us about food recalls, thank goodness) <3 SCIENCE

Scientists are also now going to get themselves into politics, to have a more educated government.

NASA specifically has made almost 50 pages of research papers available for free, rather than have them stuck behind a science journal's paywall, which doesn't pay the authors hardly anything.

A few friends of mine that were getting federal grants, however, have had their stipends frozen and so are on the verge of being homeless. Luckily enough for my friends at least, they've got enough saved up to get them through a month or two, but idk how they're gonna do their actual day job work and find another way to survive.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Not really a link to any one article, but various federal science agencies are openly defying the gag order placed on them and continuing to share science with the public. (Including the USDA which tells us about food recalls, thank goodness) <3 SCIENCE

Scientists are also now going to get themselves into politics, to have a more educated government.

NASA specifically has made almost 50 pages of research papers available for free, rather than have them stuck behind a science journal's paywall, which doesn't pay the authors hardly anything.

A few friends of mine that were getting federal grants, however, have had their stipends frozen and so are on the verge of being homeless. Luckily enough for my friends at least, they've got enough saved up to get them through a month or two, but idk how they're gonna do their actual day job work and find another way to survive.
Yeah science!
Sucks for those getting the shaft to save that information to the masses though :<

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Mild exaggeration, but yeah. A lot of us in Alberta are fed up with Notley and her pals and I'm sure Saskatchewan and BC are considering secession as an alternative to 2 more years of this bs. It's not at the point where another slip-up by the NDP or Liberals will cause an all-out violent uprising, but you're either blind or ignorant not to notice the shift in attitude recently.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Alternatively, they might just live somewhere that these attitude changes don't show

But to elaborate on that one, it will be moved 70 miles away from the tribal lands and use american steel, instead of right through it with 'prone-to-leaks' chinese steel.

So I guess that problem has been resolved? Putting it that way, it sounds to me like there's no huge problem anymore.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Mild exaggeration, but yeah. A lot of us in Alberta are fed up with Notley and her pals and I'm sure Saskatchewan and BC are considering secession as an alternative to 2 more years of this bs. It's not at the point where another slip-up by the NDP or Liberals will cause an all-out violent uprising, but you're either blind or ignorant not to notice the shift in attitude recently.
And Ontario is getting fed up with Kathleen Wynn. Yes, there's not a lot of happiness with current politicians, but I don't think secession is truly on the board, nor do I think Canada is anywhere near a form of self-destruction. This isn't a recent shift really, and Canada being as large as it is, folks at different ends of the countries can feel some pretty wildly different things.

Cappy

Reputation score

Jontron recently came out as critical of the recent women's march protesting the removal of funding for foreign aid programs that utilize the money to subsidize abortions, and made a number of other comments critical of left-wing positions for being unrealistic, and made mention that the strongest advocates of those positions denigrate anybody who makes even moderate disagreements as a nazi or a right wing extremist.

Of course, people came out in spades proving him right by constantly engaging in strawman criticisms and libel of his position without any regard for nuance, or that he might not fit perfectly into their clay mold model of a "right winger". If you're going to criticize somebody, call them sexist, racist, and a fucking nazi, you'd better back it up with more than twisted strawman versions of his statements AND ACTUALLY LISTEN TO HIM SPEAK. Fuck, twitter and reddit are such cancer.

The worst part about it is, some of the people defending him are also acting like MORONS when they talk to and about the people criticizing him. PBG stated that he and Jontron had a falling out way before they had any political disagreements, but it seems like every right wing fucktard out there is immediately assuming that they stopped being friends on the basis of his political opinion in spite of the fact that it's clear that isn't the case. Just like not everybody who holds conservative opinions is a nazi or a racist backwater redneck, not everyone who holds liberal opinions is a virtue signaling cult-mentality mega-faggot. Learn some fucking chill, extremists.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

If they learned to chill, they wouldn't have anything to be afraid of anymore, and they just can't have that! What else would give them motivation to lobby about (thing people in politics want to censor for stupid reasons here)?

EDIT: Meanwhile, for something far more amusing, I give you PETA wanting Games Workshop to remove fur from the 40k universe...

My favorite response to this has to be one from the Eternal Crusade forum:

Exosus said:
I don't care whether this is real, fake or whatever
but this line in particular catches my eye.

"These battle-hardened warriors are known for their martial prowess – but wearing the skins of dead animals doesn’t take any skill"

Oh no.
Totally no skill involved in taking the fur of 1 of those.
Nope.
Definitely the kind of creature you keep in a tiny cage and is absolutely defenseless.

Also come on, it's the 41st Millennium. Equality doesn't exist and people are killed in droves in the name of either the Dark Gods, The Emperor, The Greater Good etc.

I doubt anyone living in said universe gives 2/3 of a flying fuck about animal rights.

I do have a question though.
Are they against the killing of Space Wolves?

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

[Stuff.]
Meanwhile, for something far more amusing, I give you PETA wanting Games Workshop to remove fur from the 40k universe...

[More stuff.]
*ahem*
"FUR THE EMPRAH!"
Someone had to say it...

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

WH40k, in which the imperium by law requires buildings to be decorated with human skulls
Where psykers are mass-sacrificed
And where anything even slightly questioning the imperium can be labeled as heresy and cause for your immeditate execution

And they pick animal pelts to complain about?
If you're going to pick something in WH40k to complain about on a morality issue, there's a lot of other things that might be a bit more pressing to complain about

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Given that far far far more grox are bred and slaughtered solely to feed the imperium than creatures are killed for their pelts... yeah.

And what about all the tyranid trophies taken? No no, those are just bugs.

Granted Peta does have fair points... sometimes. I think they really need to spend their time on problems in reality until they're fixed before they derp around science fiction.

My favorite response to this was found right on the article page:

Scott Perry commented on January 30, 2017 at 2:52 pm

When I read bullshit like this I always eat an extra burger.

I already had some food now and I was going to be done until dinner because I have a bunch of errands to run. Now I’m going to stop at McDonald’s while I’m waiting to get a new tire and eat a burger in honor of this stupid article.
Jackass, they don't sell meat at McDonalds.

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

RSPCA in the UK has also been criticised for missing the mark and becoming increasingly political, while having more and more difficulties, both in general and self-inflicted, in doing the very thing it was made to do.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

TBH, it feels like someone at PETA were websurfing and stumbled onto Games Workshop's page for the first time during that big to-do with the Wolves and the Thousand Sons update around christmastime, saw the fur pelts, then rushed out an article for views strictly on real-life logic. Not even caring that there's oh so many far worse things in the universe to complain about... X3

It's kinda like those occasional articles where an extremist feminist will complain about 40k's 'sexism' strictly on all Space Marines being male, without doing the briefest glance and noticing the Sisters of Battle, most major Eldar figures and a good chunk of Inquisitors, the not-as-blantent-on-tabletop gender equality of most of the sentient race's armies...

Then again, 40k has appaently made fun of PETA long before PETA attempted a fight on them. Maybe this is just revenge.

Last edited:

Cappy

Reputation score

I don't like PETA, but I do think that animals get a terribly bad rap from human beings in general, it would have been more humane to kill a fair amount of the races that we instead domesticated.

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't like PETA, but I do think that animals get a terribly bad rap from human beings in general, it would have been more humane to kill a fair amount of the races that we instead domesticated.
Well PETA does apparently put down more animals than animal shelters do.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well, Games Workshop does mostly ignore the Sisters of Battle these days. Unless there's a new codex I don't know about.

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Unrelated to our furry friends both terristreral and face-eaters alike.

As always, forgive me if I am incorrect, feel free to add your proverbial 2-pence.

Within days of the Supreme Court stating it would begin deciding on whether or not the British Parliament would have the right to have a vote to trigger Article 50 (legislation required to begin the act of leaving the European Union), Parliament had the vote and overwhelmingly voted in favour of triggering Article 50 by something like 687 against 47-68ish (not exact numbers, sorry), the Supreme Court then came to the conclusion that Parliament would have to debate and then vote on whether or not to trigger Article 50.

Thus today they debate, and tomorrow they will officially vote on whether or not to trigger Article 50.

Also while George Bush had to wait about 720+ days and Barack Obama had to wait about 680+ days, Donald Trump has recieved an invitation for a state visit to the UK on his 7th-ish day, suffice to say there's protests and a online petition reaching over 1,700,000 signatures thus far and rising.