What's new

In today's news...

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

I like to imagine he was invited by Prince Philip.

Cappy

Reputation score

Even if you disagree with him, breaking communications with a world leader over political differences is stupid, less communication is always bad because then there isn't negotiation. People shouldn't be going out of their way to try and piss him or his supporters off, it's not productive.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Also while George Bush had to wait about 720+ days and Barack Obama had to wait about 680+ days, Donald Trump has received an invitation for a state visit to the UK on his 7th-ish day, suffice to say there's protests and a online petition reaching over 1,700,000 signatures thus far and rising.
Even if you disagree with him, breaking communications with a world leader over political differences is stupid, less communication is always bad because then there isn't negotiation. People shouldn't be going out of their way to try and piss him or his supporters off, it's not productive.
I'm fairly sure that, while I feel he has many fine qualities, those that know me understand that I have many strong reservations about our new Commander-in-Chief. With that said, I think it's wise for the UK to continue to extend the invitation to President Trump. Regardless of your feelings on the man or the matter, his election is a dynamic shift for the US, a massive departure from business-as-usual. It only makes sense for these two powers with such a close and longstanding alliance to want to make sure that they're still on solid ground, together.

Of course, given the massive unrest and resentment directed toward Mr. Trump by people here, in England, and in other areas abroad, I think perhaps the invitation could have been better timed. But now that it's extended, you either have to go through with the visit or risk insult.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Agreed, with a person who's agenda that appears as xenophobic as Trump's it seems like a smart move for our allies to attempt to reinforce our relationships.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Especially with Brexit happening, the UK is going to want good trade talks with the US, even if just to signal to the EU that they have options.

It helps with negotiations, so for Britain it's just a good move to pull in any world leader they can get.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Well, Games Workshop does mostly ignore the Sisters of Battle these days. Unless there's a new codex I don't know about.
Technically not as of the new CEO. A new model for Celestine and a cannoness model based off old art was recently released, and if rumors are true the rest of plastic sisters may not be too far off, and add in that Sister rules got recently polished a bit after being snugged into the Imperial Agents book, aka 'fan-favorite armies too small to fully work by themselves but work great as Imperium allies'. But I digress.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

And in more "Women in WH40k" stuff, I've started playing Necromunda, and there is an entire gang dedicated to a whole house of matriarchal women warriors
And they're actually one of the better gangs in vanilla Necromunda too, with access to some great tech and good skillset

As for news, nothing I can give international, but Dutch cops are starting trials with tasers and bodycams.
Not that they seem to really need them, they're doing fine as is with no severe incidents that come to mind, but better to be prepared and not need them than to have something happen and not have them

Last edited:

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

The vote on whether to invoke Article 50, the act to begin the process of formally leave the European Union has taken place in the British Parliement. 498 votes against 114 to leave.

So yes, we're leaving, regardless of any remaining bitterness.

It seems noted on the BBC, that despite Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn's three-whip line (a formal and enforceable(?) order) for his MP's to vote in favour of triggering Article 50, one or more of his frontbenchers has resigned, and 47 Labour MPs have voted to remain, against his will.

Cappy

Reputation score

From the little that I've heard, the labour party does seem to be in at least a bit of a mess. I would go with one of the other ones, assuming the british situation isn't as messed up as murika's.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I've never had any desire to leave the EU personally, and feel like the whole 51-49 split on the referendum has been a highly dividing disaster. Such a major and irreversible decision should never have been made upon such an absurdly slight active majority, in what was essentially a propaganda war for both sides.

But I don't quite understand what's expected to come of voting to remain at this stage, from those that have done so within parliament. I sort of understand it in terms of simple principle, but what kind of scenario are they hoping for. The EU after it's initial pleas to remain, has quite plainly told us that a "change of heart" isn't an option and to get on with it. The global media would have a field day, and the pro-brexit populace would riot for months. EU relations would be an awkward bad joke.

If there was any legitimate way to fairly reverse the entire thing in the eyes of the populace and rest of the world, I'd be all for it, but I don't believe that's an option at this point. Are these MPs voting in sheer rebellion, expecting it won't change anything, or is there actually some kind of overly optimistic plan behind it?

Last edited:

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I mostly hoped Brexit would get the EU to stop being huge douches about everything

Turns out they just decided that all of Britain was wrong for not wanting the things nobody else wants either and doubled down on it.
That is one organisation that needs to immediately get rid of all its leadership, they have failed hard and will continue to do so

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Interestingly, the EU Council of Ministers had, several months ago, suggested they'd simply bypass the EU Commission and thus Juncker himself when it comes to negotiations, as Juncker's attitude was best described as 'confrontational'.

Also, it's suggested but not -certain- we may be leaving the Single Market, that is mostly due to the EU's idea that to have access to the Single Market, you -must- have Freedom of Movement. Interestingly, countries outside of the EU like America, Australia and certain countries within the EU do not have to have Freedom of Movement as part of their trade deals, correct me if I'm wrong please.

As for 'rebelling MP's', if Squid is referring to the Labour MP's, it might be cause some of them are staunch Remainers, or that because a leader they really don't like is formally ordering them to vote for something, rather than saying 'hey guys/girls, I think we ought to support this thing, just a suggestion' it might be possible they voted the other way to spite Corbyn.

Also, good news today, especially for current and former military servicemen/women; Phil Shiner, of the now-defunct law-firm 'Shiner and Shiner' who had conducted over 1,400+ cases of abuse of prisoners and civilians by British Military personnel, has been struck off the register and indited, due to at least 24ish different violations of the Solicitor's Code of Conduct. He had previously attempted to avoid his own tribunal by claiming he was 'greatly stressed'.

His firm, Shiner & Shiner, has recently collapsed, and had been responsible for touting for business in other countries during the Iraq war, before and after, and essentially had quite a few cases that turned out to either be 'incorrect' or 'wholly fabricated', conspired with known Taliban insurgents and malcontents/generally unpleasant liars, as well as repeatedly hounding current and former servicemen, while raking in a lovely profit from Legal Aid.

Last edited:

stoper

Sex Demon
Reputation score

The EU pretty much needs to make the UK exit from the union as hard as possible. Because if the UK gets a good deal from Brexit, it's the end of the EU. All manner of extreme right parties are waiting to ride the "we're better off on our own" wave.

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Not to argue, but a potential counter point would be, if the EU wants punitive measures, that'll possibly create more ill-will among people already displeased with the leadership and ideological-over-practical nature they seem to be displaying. Not just far-right or far-left parties riding the bandwagon as it were, though that may be the most obvious effect of a populist movement (and I use the term 'populist' in it's neutral meaning; a movement that is popular amongst people, rather than the throw-away, lumped-together phrase being bandied about to dismiss people with good reasons to follow such movements).

That, and as economists already note, a bad or punitive deal will have negative consequences for both sides financially.

One thing to note if I may, is that the PM already is saying, I think, that she's strongly wanting to allow EU nationals or live or work in the UK to keep their access, not booting them out. The EU Commission, however, is refusing to say what they will do with UK nationals living or working within EU countries.

stoper

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Not to argue, but a potential counter point would be, if the EU wants punitive measures, that'll possibly create more ill-will among people already displeased with the leadership and ideological-over-practical nature they seem to be displaying.
I'm not saying punitive. But the message should be clear - "if you're out, you're out". Make it look like you can leave, yet keep the benefits from being part of the union, just because we're too entangled with each other, and other countries will follow.

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

For Magic: The Gathering fans on here, The Aether Revolt Pro Tour is taking place today in Dublin, Ireland. The format will be Standard/Booster Draft.

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Hilariously, CNN and co aren't talking about this.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Would be amusing if it wasn't so sad

Antifa is everything they claim the fascists are, but too thick to see it.
And with their actions, the only thing they're doing it getting more people to support what they're fighting. Not that there's a shortage of things they fight. They claim everyone is a fascist except them