In today's news...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In today's news...

Everything is biased in someway because we're all humans. Nobody is objective. Even robots would be biased if they reported on the news.

As an American, I still think BBC is worth checking out for a different perspective that isn't based on the bottom line of Ted Turner or Rupert Murdoch. The only problem is sometimes their articles in the American section are actually kinda old. Have to watch out for that.

Comment

Yeah, I neglected to mention that, I meant for American news. It's almost expected for any country to be biased on anything that affects it, but BBC on American news is supposed to be fairly unbiased

Comment

X, it isn't necessarily the links you provide to, but the way you present them. It might very well be a function of the language barrier. Even with technical mastery there can still be problems. More often than not though you give the impression that everything you're posting you accept as absolute fact, regardless of if that's actually the case. Hell, simply posting a link without commentary gives that vibe regardless of language skills, and is in fact a tactic used by people deliberately trying to spin one side of a story (believe me, in my field, I encounter that all the time). Then it becomes not an issue of what side the news is pushing, but what side *you* are pushing. We rally against bias in the news, but often forget the news is biased in large part because there's biased people out there they can pander to.

I tend to want to assume the best about people, but when people post links drive-by style you don't give us much to work with. At best the assumption can be made that someone is biased because they have not taken the time to analyze the link. It's true that it's not your job to do so, and we should all do secondary evaluation ourselves, but at the same time there's an onus on the poster. You can't take action and then half-ass it. At worst, the assumption can be made that the lack of follow up and analysis is a deliberate attempt to spread one's own propaganda. I know I get a lot of shit for long posts, though not necessarily here, but that's so I can show everyone my full train of logic and they can decide for themselves. Whether it's a convenient fact or not, your average citizen isn't inherently superior in their lack of bias or lack of a desire to mislead others. Only by achieving this level of verbosity can you be completely honest with someone else.

Comment

I for one appreciate XSI's posts as they are organized and to the point.

I do some news searching myself and yeah, the situation in Cologne is pretty fucked up. the videos I've seen indicate that it was an instigator of some sort throwing firecrackers, definitely suspicious.
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

Obviously yeah, some news is biased. Not going to say it isn't because it just plain is sometimes and I try to avoid linking that stuff.
            The only times I link articles is if I think that something is interesting enough after finding it or I get linked something and feel like it might be something to share

Of course, sometimes I get tired or just plain old lazy and don't double check the links, but I catch most of the obviously biased ones such as news from DailyStormer (Actual nazi news I get linked by a friend into that stuff, don't click that if your browser history is going to be scrutinized)
            Aside from that, I just pass on what I think is neat enough to pass on, I specifically avoid writing a full summary of articles because that would make it way easy to accidentally reword stuff in a way that could be seen as biased, and instead stick to just the link and a short description
            Not implying you do that with your larger posts, just that it isn't how I do it.

As example news,
            Snape's actor died
            http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...confirmed.html
            Not much more to say about that, really. The headline sums it up
            RIP
            Last edited by XSI; 14th January 2016, 13:13.
            With occasional game reviews at https://tocopinion.blogspot.nl/

Comment

Alan Rickman, Bowie, lemmy.... 2016 needs to fucking stop.
              Ryu curtsies and puts flowers in everyone's hair.

Comment

Yeah, we're only two weeks in and already this has been a bad year for entertainers...
                ULMF Thread for Adventure High, my mind control and transformation themed HGame

sigpic

Comment

Another ISIS terrorist attack, this time in Jakarta.
                  "RPG's aren't about problems, they're about having fun and watching your grimdark world devolve into Monty Python quotes."

Just a little teaser: http://pastebin.com/vGndFrvY

For truly it is written, RTFM.

Comment

-snip from the article itself-
                    "Seven people were killed in a series of bomb and gun attacks in central Jakarta. Indonesian police said five attackers and two others, a Canadian and an Indonesian, were killed."

why the fuck does isis want to be associated with an attack that cost them 5 people, and only killed 2?

Comment

Something seems odd about this one. For there being several explosions and it apparently being a group effort, it's strange that they would lose 5, just to end up killing two people.

I'm a bit concerned if the suicide bombers in this case weren't, perhaps, unwilling participants? I mean, I can sort of see this result from some people having timed bombs strapped to them and they were forced somehow to go there. (maybe under threat of their family being harmed?) But I just can't wrap my head around the idea of a group of terrorists planning this sort of thing in advance, and then setting off the bombs deliberately when there were so few people close enough to be hurt by it.

That's just blind speculation on my part though. ^__^;

sigpic

Comment

Why not skip all the... (I really don't know what to call it) and just collaborate on a list of acceptable news sites to link to?

Comment

How does it go again? Republicans listen to/watch Fox News and Democrats listen to/watch CNN right?

Pretty sure the Republican slant is Fox News but I am not so sure with the Democrat slanted news. Maybe it could be MSNBC or something. The point is, that even in america depending on pretty much party lines one news source is complete rubbish while the other is the gospel.

When I went to my parents house, they would always watch Fox News religiously. Everything they said on there was what my parents would agree with. They were very obviously Republicans and anything the Democratic party did was wrong.

I would rather watch something like infowars or young turks. Pretty much just a different way to process the same garbage if you ask me. You have an opinion and dear lord if you take information that is provided to you and form your own opinion from it.

Comment

I don't watch Fox or CNN; I generally get all my news from comedians. xD It's the only way not to get super depressed.

sigpic

Comment

Cancer seems to be a running theme for death of celebrities during this month. This time however, Celine Dion's husband and brother died of cancer just within a few days of one another. Her husband could be considered a celeb

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...dies/78806790/

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...s-rene-angelil

List of Adult Flash Websites
                              http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=27441

List of websites providing fake downloads
                              http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=26002

The PM system is broken on this account so if you need to contact me, send it to my alt AceofWindPMOnly, I will check it every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by AceofWind View Post
                                Cancer seems to be a running theme for death of celebrities during this month. This time however, Celine Dion's husband and brother died of cancer just within a few days of one another. Her husband could be considered a celeb

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...dies/78806790/

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...s-rene-angelil
                                Not to make light, but I had to reread "Celine Dion's husband and brother died" several times over

Comment

Working...
                                X