What's new

In today's news...

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

lol, under most vanilla D&D rules you can't see a light that has a field of regular darkness in between you and it!

In 5th edition they changed this, but now you can see things that aren't inside the area of total concealment even if that area is in between you and your target... say a fog cloud.

Last edited:

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Depends on the system
In Pathfinder at least you can target a square rather than a person or item. Then things in the square have a chance of getting hit
Not with targeted spells you can't.

Cappy

Reputation score

I was just referring to the Dead Ale Wives skit, but I'll go ahead and ruin the joke.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Not with targeted spells you can't.
I'd argue it on a case by case basis, if it can be targeted at anything, like magic missile, you can aim it at a square itself, I'd take away the autohit and apply the 50% miss chance but if a player is creative enough to aim at the right square by X, why not.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

This is great, I kinda love you guys now.

I still wonder how you would aim at a square not too far in front of you without just kinda aiming at the ground, in which case the damage would be mininal, to their foot (unless it's a current-based thing that affects the entire body as long as it hits any part of it). Seems easier to just aim in a general direction and let it fly and see if it hits anything in that direction.

Probably not great for simple gaming rules though.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

There are game systems that try to represent stuff like it but they usually fall short because.. realism and fantasy mix in volatile compounds. Then again its a common myth that being shot in the foot or leg can't be dangerous by itself, our body is concepted with the warm fleshy bits and liquids all staying on the inside in mind. There are people alive today in the western world that die from simple foot ulcers.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

There are game systems that try to represent stuff like it but they usually fall short because.. realism and fantasy mix in volatile compounds. Then again its a common myth that being shot in the foot or leg can't be dangerous by itself, our body is concepted with the warm fleshy bits and liquids all staying on the inside in mind. There are people alive today in the western world that die from simple foot ulcers.
That's true, if you blow off someone's foot they're usually not going to be a huge problem anymore. I guess I was thinking more in terms of hitpoints, thus defeating my own point about realism.

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I'd argue it on a case by case basis, if it can be targeted at anything, like magic missile, you can aim it at a square itself, I'd take away the autohit and apply the 50% miss chance but if a player is creative enough to aim at the right square by X, why not.
You can aim at any OBJECT. Squares aren't objects, they're abstractions that only exist outside the game.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

That's true, if you blow off someone's foot they're usually not going to be a huge problem anymore. I guess I was thinking more in terms of hitpoints, thus defeating my own point about realism.
+1 internet for me!

You can aim at any OBJECT. Squares aren't objects, they're abstractions that only exist outside the game.
I aim at yo mama.

-1 internet.

Cappy

Reputation score

The square represents an area of space, you can shoot in a vague direction at a vaguely estimated distance. Of course, generally speaking when looking from a first person perspective one wouldn't be able to think from the same strategic mindset as from a bird's eye view, so there is immersion to think about if you're going to take it that far.

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

The square represents an area of space, you can shoot in a vague direction at a vaguely estimated distance.
Not with spells that require a target you can't.

Cappy

Reputation score

Then one could amusingly employ the loophole of throwing a beanbag or rock in the general direction and treating that as a target for your spell, assuming it doesn't require a living or willing target or anything like that. I can imagine it now, some invisible douchebag getting whapped with a beanbag in the face followed by three magic-missile bolts. Of course, one would need an assistant for that feat.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

That, or a rock thats already there, a blade of grass, etc

It's highly uncommon to fight in a vacuum, and if you can survive in a vacuum you probably see through invis anyway

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

It's highly uncommon to fight in a vacuum, and if you can survive in a vacuum you probably see through invis anyway
^ This so hard. Give it up spoodah, we're talking about a being that can convert materials into energy (often at a rate that would require some amount of fission to achieve) are you really trying to say that they can't just throw that energy wherever they please?

Will it go where they point it? Hell yeah. Will it hit what they want? Depends on the roll (admittedly it should be pretty hard for total concealment).

Besides, who's playing a mage with absolutely no AOE? C'mon guys!

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I just find it funny that todays news have been overtaken by D&D stuff.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

The news is predictable and pretty shit anyway. Most of the time it's nothing new

I'll summarize the latest stuff:
1. Politician says something stupid
2. Pollution still the same, X area is now very polluted/still polluted/measures taken against pollution in area X
3. Politicians don't understand the internet again
4. Syria war still ongoing
5. Turkey does something stupid again

3. (Forgive the biased source)

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

In which case you'll hit whatever you were targeting, not the enemy.

Also, the whole point was that you couldn't see the enemy(and thus didn't have the Line of Sight required by the spell), in which case you presumably couldn't see other things in their square either.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

In which case you'll hit whatever you were targeting, not the enemy.

Also, the whole point was that you couldn't see the enemy(and thus didn't have the Line of Sight required by the spell), in which case you presumably couldn't see other things in their square either.
You can shoot a bow blind, you can shoot a spell blind, its not the kind of spell that can only affect a specific thing, magical force bullets can smack into obstacles just as well.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Forgive my ignorance, but does it even matter if you can aim it at a rock. It hits without error, doesn't damage inanimate objects, and I don't recall it ever having splash damage, cuz even an arrow is a "missile," so it's not like it's a magic rocket.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

That's quite fitting, considering it's the 1st of May, the international labor day.

Today we celebrate a day in 1886 when 3-500,000 American workers went to strike to limit the work day to 8 hours, whereupon the police descended upon them to beat the shit out of them. Some anarchists infiltrated the following demonstration and threw a bomb at the police, which resulted in a shooting retaliation against the demonstrators in which dozens were wounded. Labour movements in other countries (some communist, some not) gathered to commemorate this event and to continue the push for an 8-hour work day by choosing this day in remembrance. It coincides with an ancient spring festival celebrated in many European countries.

Americans themselves have chosen fall for their labour day. For some reason.

Last edited: