In today's news...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In today's news...

Funnily enough there is a brain parasite that consumes the higher function areas of the brain then hijacks the lower functions, turning the creature into a braindead zombie.

It lives around the Brazil region.
    My avatar is from Viper RSR

Comment

Good thing that microcephaly babies are immune to that then

..I'm awful, aren't I?
      Well, at least if you laughed, we can be awful together
      With occasional game reviews at https://tocopinion.blogspot.nl/

Comment

Hoh. I thought these forums where about pron, and not about yet another bunch of people misinformed about genetic modification. It's really not that scary. We have decades of research. Sure we should keep it up, but.. out of many, many studies not a single one has proven any risks.

unless you are a mosquito, I wouldn't worry about gene technology messing with mosquitos. Infact, I'd welcome it, sleeping sickness is -not- fun.

As for why Monsanto is always mentioned in such articles.. they seemed to have developed into a scapegoat for anything alternative related. That is a rather fascinating phenomena.
        Play my naughty games here:

Comment

That's nice and all, but this isn't about genetic manipulation at all

It's about a pesticide that works on mosquitos, and has been fingered out as suspect for potentially working on human fetusses. I'd expect more investigations into it, really.

There are many things people can blame Monsanto for, but in this case I'd blame the government there for putting stuff in the drinking water and ignoring poverty and diseases long enough for this to become a problem in the first place.

And for paying money for fancy GM-mosquitos that would supposedly remove or hinder the non-GM mosquitos, but didn't really do anything like that. Or at least, they haven't had any effect whatsoever aside from removing tax money that was used to pay for it.
          With occasional game reviews at https://tocopinion.blogspot.nl/

Comment

Disregarding the moral shitstorm that is the mentality of "If we can do it, we should", and the classic "For Science!" trope. Allowing any body that's sole purpose is it's own benefit to the point of being detrimental to humanity at large (At this point I don't need to justify this statement), to modify any species on a genetic level without intense supervision and heavy restrictions is beyond irresponsible.

Aside from that, untill geneticists are able to create/modify organisms and have them act EXACTLY as intended, without any aberrant or unexpected results. Your "Decades of research" doesn't mean shit. This isn't horseshoes, where 'close enough' works buddy, this is; one gene sequenced improperly has the possibility of catastrophe.

Comment

Originally posted by Pervy View Post
              Hoh. I thought these forums where about pron, and not about yet another bunch of people misinformed about genetic modification. It's really not that scary. We have decades of research. Sure we should keep it up, but.. out of many, many studies not a single one has proven any risks.

unless you are a mosquito, I wouldn't worry about gene technology messing with mosquitos. Infact, I'd welcome it, sleeping sickness is -not- fun.

As for why Monsanto is always mentioned in such articles.. they seemed to have developed into a scapegoat for anything alternative related. That is a rather fascinating phenomena.
              The problem I have with Monanto's specific brand of genetic tampering is that they are more malicious about it. It's not just that they are making a few minor changes to improve the quality of their crops. They patented their custom genetic code and fiercely defend it. I really do not get how one can patent something that spreads genetically and thus cannot be controlled; but our patent system is messed up.

And then there is the problem of them wanting to make their seeds produce sterile plants so that they can sell the seeds to farmers annually. I'm not sure if they actually did it yet or not since I last heard about it, but doing such a thing would mean they can contaminate nearby crops with their pollen, those crops then produce sterile seeds, and one generation later a massive chunk of an independent farmer's re-usable crop stops reproducing entirely.

I am not expecting evil things from Monsanto because genetics are scary; I expect evil things from them because they are
              Last edited by Changer; 18th February 2016, 00:02.
              ULMF Thread for Adventure High, my mind control and transformation themed HGame

sigpic

Comment

We could have uge debates about this, but for me personally, some of the concerns are about biological diversity (which isn't exclusive to genetic modification, it's a concern with all forms of domestic breeding, really), and trademarking. The idea that farmers can't keep seeds to plant again from their crops, for example, is deeply worrying to me, as it creates a dependency which is almost feudal in nature. It can also have adverse effects on food prices if the patent for a single crop (like soy) is held by a single company.

But beyond that, GMOs have largely been proven to be as safe and nutritious as non-GMO cultivates, by as independent studies as you get.

Regardless, this wasn't about GMOs, but about a pesticide.
                Kin die. Cattle die. Oneself must also die.
                But I know one thing that does not perish.
                The judgement over worthy men.

- Odin, The Elder Edda.

Comment

Originally posted by Crawdaddy View Post
                  We could have uge debates about this, but for me personally, some of the concerns are about biological diversity (which isn't exclusive to genetic modification, it's a concern with all forms of domestic breeding, really), and trademarking. The idea that farmers can't keep seeds to plant again from their crops, for example, is deeply worrying to me, as it creates a dependency which is almost feudal in nature. It can also have adverse effects on food prices if the patent for a single crop (like soy) is held by a single company.

But beyond that, GMOs have largely been proven to be as safe and nutritious as non-GMO cultivates, by as independent studies as you get.

Regardless, this wasn't about GMOs, but about a pesticide.
                  I really don't mind GMO's. Technically we've been genetically modifying plants since the very beginning of agriculture. We've just gotten better at it. My problem is with Monsanto's abusive business practices and propensity for being at the center of things that have far reaching potential to cause harm. Such as apparently being involved with making a pesticide that causes birth defects.
                  ULMF Thread for Adventure High, my mind control and transformation themed HGame

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, so basically the same thing I said.
                    Kin die. Cattle die. Oneself must also die.
                    But I know one thing that does not perish.
                    The judgement over worthy men.

- Odin, The Elder Edda.

Comment

snip...
                      Originally posted by Crawdaddy View Post
                      The idea that farmers can't keep seeds to plant again from their crops, for example, is deeply worrying to me, as it creates a dependency which is almost feudal in nature.
                      ...snip

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this issue solved already by mexico? I heard you can buy all the seeds there without any regulations and without any interference of the american seed industry. I'm not talking about the 'laboratory super seeds' here, but well the basic stuff...

I think the question here really is, are you (should you be) allowed to call dibs on a certain seed by altering some of it's genes!?
                      Last edited by chrisroxxx; 18th February 2016, 09:03.
                      Be indifferent to where you live.

Comment

Originally posted by Changer View Post
                        The problem I have with Monanto's specific brand of genetic tampering is that they are more malicious about it. It's not just that they are making a few minor changes to improve the quality of their crops. They patented their custom genetic code and fiercely defend it. I really do not get how one can patent something that spreads genetically and thus cannot be controlled; but our patent system is messed up.
                        Apologies, it seemed to be about Gene technology issues for XSI at least.

If we argue about the morality of patents it goes into a whole new discussion, but basically, to keep it brief: If X can't invent something without Y instantly copying it, X will not be encouraged to invest money and resources into anything new. Thus Copyright is necessary for the creative process not to stagnate.

We needn't argue that some of the specifics of copyrights are bullshit, but how does following such legal requirements make one 'evil'

And then there is the problem of them wanting to make their seeds produce sterile plants so that they can sell the seeds to farmers annually. I'm not sure if they actually did it yet or not since I last heard about it, but doing such a thing would mean they can contaminate nearby crops with their pollen, those crops then produce sterile seeds, and one generation later a massive chunk of an independent farmer's re-usable crop stops reproducing entirely.
                        This is hypothetical speculation with no basis in facts, and you've been utterly mislead by farmers that got sued by monsanto for using their seeds past the contract date.

I am not expecting evil things from Monsanto because genetics are scary; I expect evil things from them because they are.
                        Not by anyhting you've presented.
                        Last edited by Pervy; 18th February 2016, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisroxxx View Post
                          snip......snip
                          *snip*
                          I think the question here really is, are you (should you be) allowed to call dibs on a certain seed by altering some of it's genes!?
                          I guess I should respond a bit lengthier as the discussion expanded.:

Lets talk medicine, they use gene technology too, but I know them better than the farming market. ^^ Basically a pharmaceutical firm has the right to market something for a decade as theirs, no one may copy that substance.

The shadow side is that a company will do only cosmetic alterations to that substance, then sell it again.
                          The shadow side is that the company has the monoopoly on someones health, and asks huge prices.

But at the same time, I say it is sadly necessary, the question, to say it a bit directly, is 'would you rather have too expensive medicine with a monopoly, or no medicine at all'

And, transcribed this example, excluding speculations like plants that infect others with sterility!! Which fall at the first hurdle that, to multiple with other plants and pass on their genes they can't be sterile, duh.
                          Would you rather have fast growing, pest resistant seeds that are owned by a corporation, or only the natural growing variant?
                          I'm not arguing the validity of some of those copyrights, and.. Monsanto is a corporation, they wanna make money, duh, but .. what is a better alternative?

p.s. I hope multi reponses aren't a problem on this forum, I try to go from post to post unless they have similiar points. ^^
                          Last edited by Pervy; 18th February 2016, 10:59.

Comment

Originally posted by XSI View Post
                            That's nice and all, but this isn't about genetic manipulation at all

It's about a pesticide that works on mosquitos, and has been fingered out as suspect for potentially working on human fetusses. I'd expect more investigations into it, really.

There are many things people can blame Monsanto for, but in this case I'd blame the government there for putting stuff in the drinking water and ignoring poverty and diseases long enough for this to become a problem in the first place.

And for paying money for fancy GM-mosquitos that would supposedly remove or hinder the non-GM mosquitos, but didn't really do anything like that. Or at least, they haven't had any effect whatsoever aside from removing tax money that was used to pay for it.
                            Fact: Over 90% of Mosquitos died.
                            Fact: These Mosquitos carried a variety of diseases that lead to HUMAN DEATHS
                            Fact: We should so more research.
                            Fact: We've already done A LOT. None of it points towards the following:
                            Speculation: They affect the poor babies
                            Speculation: The government puts stuff in our drinking water! (seriously, this is conspiracy level)
                            Speculation: We will be paying money for mosquitos.

Comment

Triple posters don't get cupcakes.

Comment

Geez, so much for 'hey new member, lets show ya the ropes, eh? Oh well, guess this works quite effective too, he he.

Though I have to say, rather hostile a response, ain't it? "Hello logical fallacies and corporate shilling. It's nice to see you again. Now go back to the hellpit abyss where you belong."

Really? At least make it melodramatically interesting. Calling people corporate shills just makes you sound like a conspiracy nutter. *chuckles*

'HOW DARE THEE OFFEND MINE VIEWPOINT! I SHALL SMITE THEE WITH THE WRATH OF MY DOWNVOTE; DISGUSTING CREATURE OF SCIENCE!' something like that, make it fancy.
                                Last edited by Pervy; 18th February 2016, 11:42.

Comment

Working...
                                X