What's new

In today's news...

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score
There's a very large, and not even secret, conspiracy amongst the main players in Silicon Valley.
Just looks at the Apple CEO proudly saying they're on a moral crusade to change the world at a conference a few months ago

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Kyoani hasnt lost much data, it would seem
Still sucks for them, but at least it's not a complete loss

They may also get a tax break for the donations

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
Apparently Valve has been notified of an exploit in Steam that can be used to gain full permissions over a user's PC
And they decided not to do anything about it when it was brought to their attention, multiple times

The hacker who found it has now released it to the world, so until Valve gets their shit together Steam is essentially a big backdoor to your PC

Edit- Not actually a big deal. It requires registry access to do anything with. So if anyone can touch your registry, you're already fucked. It can be used to fuck up everything, but it's going to need work to get there and won't fuck you on its own

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Well, steam's been a shit-show since they started with the early access stuff. They refuse to actually impose any standards on what content they allow for sale on their platform, I don't see why this laziness wouldn't spread to other aspects of the company.

noman

Lurker
Reputation score
Apparently Valve has been notified of an exploit in Steam that can be used to gain full permissions over a user's PC
And they decided not to do anything about it when it was brought to their attention, multiple times

The hacker who found it has now released it to the world, so until Valve gets their shit together Steam is essentially a big backdoor to your PC

Edit- Not actually a big deal. It requires registry access to do anything with. So if anyone can touch your registry, you're already fucked. It can be used to fuck up everything, but it's going to need work to get there and won't fuck you on its own
If I am a dev I would probably assign this as low priority too. Not sure if physical access is actually necessary, but like you said if someone hacked your registry you are already FUBAR. The Steam exploit is just the icing on the cooling corpse.

There's a very large, and not even secret, conspiracy amongst the main players in Silicon Valley.
Just looks at the Apple CEO proudly saying they're on a moral crusade to change the world at a conference a few months ago
Everyone is the world is trying to influence someone else one way or another. Salesman trying to sell you that second hand car, your boss asking you to work longer hours without OT pay, Christians try to convert people to Christianity, Muslims trying to convert people into Muslims, Martin Luther King wanting equality for the blacks, George Soros supporting liberal political causes, etc. Trying to influence or change the world is not inherently evil, and a lot of time people do it because they think it's the right thing to do. Since companies are owned by people it's not surprising that all of them would lean one way or another.

Last edited:

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score
You'd expect a salesworm to sell you crap, your boss to dick you over for the company's benefit, and robed weirdo trying to sell you whatever mumbo jumbo their proscribe to.

What is different is Silicon Valley using their cash to lobby and influence politics in order to break down free speech, etc.

noman

Lurker
Reputation score
You'd expect a salesworm to sell you crap, your boss to dick you over for the company's benefit, and robed weirdo trying to sell you whatever mumbo jumbo their proscribe to.

What is different is Silicon Valley using their cash to lobby and influence politics in order to break down free speech, etc.
I am not saying what they are doing is right, just that it's not a conspiracy. It's simply people doing people things, but it happens that these people are very, very rich.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Dutch police arrests bird
The bird was part of a robbery and has been placed in a cell with bread and water

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
Mexico is fucked, it would seem

In short- Police captured the son of a cartel leader. Cartel(s) declared open war and say they will kill every policeman and the family of every policeman if they do not release him right away
If the guy is released, they'll only kill every policeman and the family of every policeman

I can't be arsed to find an article, but I'm sure you can find plenty out there if you look

Edit: Mexico capitulates, cartel son released

Last edited:

noman

Lurker
Reputation score
Mexico is fucked, it would seem

In short- Police captured the son of a cartel leader. Cartel(s) declared open war and say they will kill every policeman and the family of every policeman if they do not release him right away
If the guy is released, they'll only kill every policeman and the family of every policeman

I can't be arsed to find an article, but I'm sure you can find plenty out there if you look

Edit: Mexico capitulates, cartel son released
This has been happening for a while. The Mexican cartel is closer to a rebel army than a mafia.

Reactions: XSI

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score
It's almost like the Cheeto in Chief is right about Mexico being an unstable state ran by criminals

noman

Lurker
Reputation score
It's almost like the Cheeto in Chief is right about Mexico being an unstable state ran by criminals
Well if we are going fling insults around, the USA's demand for drugs is one of the main reason why the cartels are so well armed.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
The cartels are largely US(Read: CIA)-funded. And lets not forget that Obama sold them a lot of guns for cheap 'just to see what they'd do with them'
The US is very much part of why Mexico is fucked, a wall would be a good start to stop the drug smuggling and illegal migration, after that measures can be taken to stabilize the region

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Unfortunately, as we've seen with both the Russians and Chinese, South America cannot be trusted to not side with the enemies of the U.S.A. . This means keeping them weak is believed to be a strategic necessity.

Honestly I'd just annex the continent if I were in charge.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Unfortunately, as we've seen with both the Russians and Chinese, South America cannot be trusted to not side with the enemies of the U.S.A. . This means keeping them weak is believed to be a strategic necessity.

Honestly I'd just annex the continent if I were in charge.
With their history of US installing dictators and toppling democratically elected governments, can you blame them?

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
With their history of US installing dictators and toppling democratically elected governments, can you blame them?
I can. But I don't. All the same, I'm not keen on letting anyone south of the border get a functioning, effective, military ( and supporting government ) up and running unless they're committed to being our allies.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
It's really hard to be allies to people who have consistently screwed you over though
Besides, Brazil and Venezuela are kinda strongly in Russia's camp already, the rest is just a matter of time. All this specifically because of the fuckery the US has been doing

noman

Lurker
Reputation score
I can. But I don't. All the same, I'm not keen on letting anyone south of the border get a functioning, effective, military ( and supporting government ) up and running unless they're committed to being our allies.
I am not so sure about that. If the governments are unstable, crime will proliferate, and will eventually spread over the border into the US. No wall will stop that. Easier to deal with an unfriendly (but non-hostile) government than a whole bunch of cartels and mafias.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
I am not so sure about that. If the governments are unstable, crime will proliferate, and will eventually spread over the border into the US. No wall will stop that. Easier to deal with an unfriendly (but non-hostile) government than a whole bunch of cartels and mafias.
Oh, I've never advocated for the wall. I'm more of a minefield and automated sentry guns kinda guy.