What's new

In today's news...

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

Eh, I've long ago given up seriously trying to tell you, but not many people take your links seriously X, hence why I just left the comment about comedy last week. Of your response, daily mail and RT are typically considered trash, and yahoo as well but not necessarily for bias but more because they're incompetent and like to focus on celebrities. That's just at a glance though, I don't have time to investigate all of them right now. More often than not though the links are knee-jerk or pseudo-clickbaity though.

In this day and age all links are inherently suspect, just some are worse than others.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

In this day and age all links are inherently suspect, just some are worse than others.
Yup. Hopefully nobody takes ANYTHING reported in the news too seriously, online or on TV, and ESPECIALLY in a third-generation forum originally formed by fans of a certain H-artist who was allegedly HIT BY A BUS.

Everyone seems to have a certain level of bias, and the whole Syrian refugee debate is a topic where I've thrown up my hands in despair of ever receiving a balanced report. Here in the States, you've got liberal media wailing about how evil the conservatives are for not wanting to let them immigrate here... and then you've got conservative media screaming about how all immigrants are rapists and terrorists.

Last edited:

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

...and ESPECIALLY in a third-generation forum originally formed by fans of a certain H-artist who was HIT BY A BUS.
Was that ever actually confirmed? I read that a bunch of times, but never saw any actual evidence. Besides, you know, Linemarvel being gone.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Was that ever actually confirmed? I read that a bunch of times, but never saw any actual evidence. Besides, you know, Linemarvel being gone.
Nope. Nothing was ever confirmed regarding the fate of Linemarvel. He's Canadian, though, so for all we know he was taken by the White Walkers while ranging North of the Wall.

EDIT: Ooooh someone should make that into a RoR game, starring a female Linemarvel fleeing from White Walkers and Tentacle Buses. I would totes play that game.

ANOTHER EDIT:

This is actually one of the better-balanced articles I've read about the refugee situation in Germany, written by a Pakistani journalist who's been working in Germany for many years: .

Last edited:

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Eh, I've long ago given up seriously trying to tell you, but not many people take your links seriously X, hence why I just left the comment about comedy last week. Of your response, daily mail and RT are typically considered trash, and yahoo as well but not necessarily for bias but more because they're incompetent and like to focus on celebrities. That's just at a glance though, I don't have time to investigate all of them right now. More often than not though the links are knee-jerk or pseudo-clickbaity though.

Problem here is

There are no unbiased news sites
So you're going to have to dig really hard to find anything reported by everyone. And even then they'll disagree about how it happened or what exactly happened

So really, there are no non-extreme leaning news sites. Even CNN and BBC are biased. They just pretend harder

Now allow me to give a link that is generally trustworthy and yet still a sign that the world is retarded and assumes the lowest common denominator is the only one out there

Though it would be better suited to the games thread

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Don't worry, I got one too! Just somebody in a snit that is on the opposite side of the fence on this one.

While there have been attacks and rapes by muslims, zero of the cases of people attacking muslims have been in defense. So thats a strange argument to make

I'd like to make it clear that I wasn't using the retaliatory attacks as a reference to a theoretical future situation. I actually couldn't have as I didn't read the links!

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Also, got this one linked

Is Reuters good enough?

Could be too extreme still I suppose.
Maybe some people just don't want to hear things they disagree with

Would link some more light and amusing stuff, but all I can find today is doom and gloom

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Nothing delivered to you by your flawed senses can be actually confirmed.

Reactions: XSI

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Is BBC really significantly biased? Googling that brought up articles just on the first page alone criticizing it for being leftwing AND rightwing? I keep hearing that it's the best to listen to.

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

Yes, the BBC is heavily biased.

Crime committed by a white person?
Expect the article to include their name, street address, age, general description where they try their best to shoehorn the fact they're white into it. All side lined next to a giant mugshot.

Crime committed by a non-white?
Expect a photo of the victim where the article actively avoids mentioning any details of race, religion, even gender.
Article will generally only be a footnote.

Ranger Princess

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Everything is biased in someway because we're all humans. Nobody is objective. Even robots would be biased if they reported on the news.

As an American, I still think BBC is worth checking out for a different perspective that isn't based on the bottom line of Ted Turner or Rupert Murdoch. The only problem is sometimes their articles in the American section are actually kinda old. Have to watch out for that.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Yeah, I neglected to mention that, I meant for American news. It's almost expected for any country to be biased on anything that affects it, but BBC on American news is supposed to be fairly unbiased

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

X, it isn't necessarily the links you provide to, but the way you present them. It might very well be a function of the language barrier. Even with technical mastery there can still be problems. More often than not though you give the impression that everything you're posting you accept as absolute fact, regardless of if that's actually the case. Hell, simply posting a link without commentary gives that vibe regardless of language skills, and is in fact a tactic used by people deliberately trying to spin one side of a story (believe me, in my field, I encounter that all the time). Then it becomes not an issue of what side the news is pushing, but what side *you* are pushing. We rally against bias in the news, but often forget the news is biased in large part because there's biased people out there they can pander to.

I tend to want to assume the best about people, but when people post links drive-by style you don't give us much to work with. At best the assumption can be made that someone is biased because they have not taken the time to analyze the link. It's true that it's not your job to do so, and we should all do secondary evaluation ourselves, but at the same time there's an onus on the poster. You can't take action and then half-ass it. At worst, the assumption can be made that the lack of follow up and analysis is a deliberate attempt to spread one's own propaganda. I know I get a lot of shit for long posts, though not necessarily here, but that's so I can show everyone my full train of logic and they can decide for themselves. Whether it's a convenient fact or not, your average citizen isn't inherently superior in their lack of bias or lack of a desire to mislead others. Only by achieving this level of verbosity can you be completely honest with someone else.

Darkboy

Lurker
Reputation score

I for one appreciate XSI's posts as they are organized and to the point.

I do some news searching myself and yeah, the situation in Cologne is pretty fucked up. the videos I've seen indicate that it was an instigator of some sort throwing firecrackers, definitely suspicious.

Attachments

Reactions: XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Obviously yeah, some news is biased. Not going to say it isn't because it just plain is sometimes and I try to avoid linking that stuff.
The only times I link articles is if I think that something is interesting enough after finding it or I get linked something and feel like it might be something to share

Of course, sometimes I get tired or just plain old lazy and don't double check the links, but I catch most of the obviously biased ones such as news from (Actual nazi news I get linked by a friend into that stuff, don't click that if your browser history is going to be scrutinized)
Aside from that, I just pass on what I think is neat enough to pass on, I specifically avoid writing a full summary of articles because that would make it way easy to accidentally reword stuff in a way that could be seen as biased, and instead stick to just the link and a short description
Not implying you do that with your larger posts, just that it isn't how I do it.

As example news,
Snape's actor died

Not much more to say about that, really. The headline sums it up
RIP

Last edited:

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Alan Rickman, Bowie, lemmy.... 2016 needs to fucking stop.

Changer

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Yeah, we're only two weeks in and already this has been a bad year for entertainers...

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

-snip from the article itself-
"Seven people were killed in a series of bomb and gun attacks in central Jakarta. Indonesian police said five attackers and two others, a Canadian and an Indonesian, were killed."

why the fuck does isis want to be associated with an attack that cost them 5 people, and only killed 2?

Changer

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Something seems odd about this one. For there being several explosions and it apparently being a group effort, it's strange that they would lose 5, just to end up killing two people.

I'm a bit concerned if the suicide bombers in this case weren't, perhaps, unwilling participants? I mean, I can sort of see this result from some people having timed bombs strapped to them and they were forced somehow to go there. (maybe under threat of their family being harmed?) But I just can't wrap my head around the idea of a group of terrorists planning this sort of thing in advance, and then setting off the bombs deliberately when there were so few people close enough to be hurt by it.

That's just blind speculation on my part though. ^__^;