What's new

In today's news...

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

Why not skip all the... (I really don't know what to call it) and just collaborate on a list of acceptable news sites to link to?

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

How does it go again? Republicans listen to/watch Fox News and Democrats listen to/watch CNN right?

Pretty sure the Republican slant is Fox News but I am not so sure with the Democrat slanted news. Maybe it could be MSNBC or something. The point is, that even in america depending on pretty much party lines one news source is complete rubbish while the other is the gospel.

When I went to my parents house, they would always watch Fox News religiously. Everything they said on there was what my parents would agree with. They were very obviously Republicans and anything the Democratic party did was wrong.

I would rather watch something like infowars or young turks. Pretty much just a different way to process the same garbage if you ask me. You have an opinion and dear lord if you take information that is provided to you and form your own opinion from it.

Changer

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I don't watch Fox or CNN; I generally get all my news from comedians. xD It's the only way not to get super depressed.

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Cancer seems to be a running theme for death of celebrities during this month. This time however, Celine Dion's husband and brother died of cancer just within a few days of one another. Her husband could be considered a celeb

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Cancer seems to be a running theme for death of celebrities during this month. This time however, Celine Dion's husband and brother died of cancer just within a few days of one another. Her husband could be considered a celeb

Not to make light, but I had to reread "Celine Dion's husband and brother died" several times over

Reactions: XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

All the celebs going out these days, wonder who is next

Aren't incestuous marriages illegal nearly everywhere though?
Hooray for English language!

In non-English news
From the Netherlands

Man who fought ISIS arrested

Tl;dr or too lazy to google translate version:
Ex-military man joins Kurd militia to fight ISIS
Uses social media to share everything he's been doing
Returns home, arrested for it
He's not in jail now, since they don't think he has to be, but they did take his passport to make sure he can't go back to Syria
Government currently investigating whether or not they should trial him for murder with the victims being ISIS soldiers. At the moment they've not yet decided
Article proceeds to mention that Dutch citizens are never allowed to initiate violence, and that there's a big difference between the military going there to train the Kurds compared to ex-military going there to fight on their own

And got linked this

Bomb goes off in Stockholm apartment block, injures 10. Apparently a lot of sound, 'pillars of fire' and a huge blastwave but not a lot of damage

Just for you guys I checked the source twice and then once more to make sure

Nothing that would point to any bias. Except maybe anti-nazi bias since they were founded in WW2

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

I guess the Dutch have never had mercenaries?

Or was the guys problem that he was slotting Isis for free and not for money?

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

The problem is that he did it without being told to by the military

Only active military is allowed to shoot people, and then only on command.
Of course, this guy overall probably just did a good deed for the world, ISIS is kinda doing mass murders all over the place

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score

All the celebs going out these days, wonder who is next
Another celebrity just died of cancer, jesus christ. Should I just stop with this one? Because it seems like it's just going to keep happening and I don't want to clutter this thread with this stuff

Last edited:

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

Another celebrity just died of cancer, jesus christ. Should I just stop with this one? Because it seems like it's just going to keep happening and I don't want to clutter this thread with this stuff

that's one of the things about being a person, eventually you will die. celebrates are no different.

Changer

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

that's one of the things about being a person, eventually you will die. celebrates are no different.
Yeah, but there are a smaller number of celebrates, so a bunch of them dying of the same thing, so close together is statistically unlikely.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Is BBC really significantly biased? Googling that brought up articles just on the first page alone criticizing it for being leftwing AND rightwing? I keep hearing that it's the best to listen to.
This always happens with public broadcasters. The wingnuts feel threatened by them for being kinda wishy-washy centrists, so they whine.

The right wing are angry with them for not being critical enough of immigration. The left wing are angry with them for not being critical enough of large corporations. And so on.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

They are both from what I've seen

They're not critical enough of immigration, AND not critical enough of corporations
Which is exactly what I've seen as being the UK government's stance - Protect their buddies in big corps/banks and pull in more immigrants so they have more people to tax/control. And then it's easy to see who pays for the BBC

Politics isn't really a left-right thing, it's a whole lot of views going around that can be combined in nearly any way. The left-right thing would be a laughable attempt to quantify people's complex views in a simple way, which only works on those with simple views
But it turns out a lot of people actually do fit the simplified views

Last edited:

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

And then it's easy to see who pays for the BBC
Well, everyone with a TV-set does.

Politics isn't really a left-right thing, it's a whole lot of views going around that can be combined in nearly any way. The left-right thing would be a laughable attempt to quantify people's complex views in a simple way, which only works on those with simple views
But it turns out a lot of people actually do fit the simplified views
Oh, I definitely concur there.

If anyone here has ever been on a site called NationStates, you "play" as a country and depending on how you solve issues, you move along in three separate dimensions, with the right-left being just one of them (pertaining specifically to economics).

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I just enjoy left-right for the historical connotations. I contend that the French Revolution was the most interesting thing to ever happen in history and I gave it a lot of focus when I worked on that degree. I mean, my view of history is that it's the same thing as those series people get really excited about and buy the whole book set, except it actually happened and has an impossibly large well of events to draw from ;) The French Revolution is a real page turner.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I just enjoy left-right for the historical connotations. I contend that the French Revolution was the most interesting thing to ever happen in history and I gave it a lot of focus when I worked on that degree. I mean, my view of history is that it's the same thing as those series people get really excited about and buy the whole book set, except it actually happened and has an impossibly large well of events to draw from ;) The French Revolution is a real page turner.
I would submit that the liberal ideals of the French Revolution would not have had nearly so much impact were it not for the blooming of German Romanticism, leading to secular nationalism supplanting religion as a faith, and ultimately boiling over in the two World Wars.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I would submit that the liberal ideals of the French Revolution would not have had nearly so much impact were it not for the blooming of German Romanticism, leading to secular nationalism supplanting religion as a faith, and ultimately boiling over in the two World Wars.
Well duh, that's kind of how history works. "One thing leads to another." ;) I mean, the '48 revolutions and what not are fun too, but they just aren't a page turner. The French Revolution has the "Game of Thrones" quality to it in term of intrigue (ignoring the fact of what inspirations were actually used for GoT)

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well duh, that's kind of how history works. "One thing leads to another." ;) I mean, the '48 revolutions and what not are fun too, but they just aren't a page turner. The French Revolution has the "Game of Thrones" quality to it in term of intrigue (ignoring the fact of what inspirations were actually used for GoT)
By "Game of Thrones," you mean everyone important dies, and generally in a messy way? Because that would be fairly accurate.

Still, the French Revolution might not have taken place without the American Revolution, which was based mostly on British property rights, dating back to the signing of the Magna Carta. So, really, you're singling out a single link in a long chain as the most important one.