In today's news...

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

Exactly as everyone expected, carnival in Europe

Cologne Carnival: Police record 22 sexual assaults

And of course, in case the police weren't enough of a source

A Belgian journalist was groped by two men on live television while reporting from Cologne Karneval

Yep
Nothing unusual there

As for Syria

Syrian Army ends 3-year siege of 2 Shiite towns in Aleppo
(I know it's RT, but this is reported by both sides in that war as well so it's pretty legit)
It was fairly obvious what they were going for in the last map I posted on here, but now it's official, they've succeeded in lifting the siege of two towns and are expanding their influence to keep the towns safe

They are also appearing like they're about to encircle some IS in a thermal power plant

Last edited:

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Putin's internet advisor wants to ban Windows from Russia, not with a stated reason but most likely thanks to their constant data gathering

They also want to tax all foreign internet based companies operating in Russia extra hard

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Of course they want to. Gotta rile up that xenophobia. :p

Sad thing is, with how the US have forced American telecom providers to hand in data for intelligence, it might not be too farfetched to suspect a OS provider either.

Termite

A bug
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Putin's internet advisor wants to ban Windows from Russia, not with a stated reason but most likely thanks to their constant data gathering
Is it weird that I kinda wish more countries would do this?

Darkboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Time for some eyewitness videos!

These people speak of life in Calais

Laws for thee, but not for me~

Reactions: XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Science!

Russian scientist makes all science papers publically available

US-based publisher of research papers sues over this, as they make their money by paywalling these science papers

Russian scientist says that the US based publisher is the one being illegal, thanks to article 27 of the UN Declaration of Human Rights, "everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits"

Either way, they're not going to take it down, they're in Russia, and they have no reason to listen to US courts

So, enjoy the piratebay of science

Changer

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I like this development. I really hate when I hear about some study and then when trying to fact check it, end up hitting a pay wall that stops me from reading what exactly the study found out as opposed to the media exerpt that is usually utterly meaningless. I hope the defense holds up and causes scientific papers to become free to see legally.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

To quote modern culture: "Yeah, science!"

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Speaking of science stuff and news
Doctors in the region do not believe the Zika virus is the cause of the birth defects in South America

Instead, it turns out it may very well be caused by the manner in which the government there is fighting the Zika virus

Specifically, an anti-larva chemical named pyriproxyfen has been added to the drinking water to stop the spread of mosquitos by deforming their offspring, which is sold by.. Monsanto (Or specifically, a 'strategic partner' of them).
And of course, the only ones who report the link to the chemical or Monsanto are 'alternative' news sites, with mainstream media staying quiet on that. Instead they report on how mysterious it is that the Zika virus has been near harmless for several decades and now it's a problem.

The report

And some sites

(The comments section on that last one is amazing)

Previous Zika epidemics did not cause birth defects in newborns, despite infecting 75% of the population in those countries. Also, in other countries such as Colombia there are no records of microcephaly; however, there are plenty of Zika cases.
Whether or not you choose to believe it's chemical poisoning causing the problems and health scare, it should be made clear that it's not Zika doing it. Zika has always been present in several countries without this issue popping up

Last edited:

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

For once, X gets the OAMP seal of concurrence ;)

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

TBH if you told me that monsanto was abducting pregnant women and modifying their unborn children in an attempt to create humans that exclusively feed on corn, I wouldn't disbelieve that or even be surprised.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

And of course, the only ones who report the link to the chemical or Monsanto are 'alternative' news sites, with mainstream media staying quiet on that. Instead they report on how mysterious it is that the Zika virus has been near harmless for several decades and now it's a problem.
Actually, the second-largest newspaper over here reported on it today.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Where is that?

Because media here, and all the big international media websites are completely quiet about it

And to share some stuff, have a map of Aleppo, Syria. Dated yesterday

What you can see on here:
ISIS on the defensive
Assad winning
Kurds gaining ground
'Moderate' rebels being pushed out hard in the north

And in some other news, Canadian Alberta decides that people they disagree with don't count as journalists

Because nothing says "We're totally the good guys" as much as "We decide who you should listen to"

Changer

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

You know, it really does not bode well that the only time I ever hear of Monsanto is in the context of "Monsanto did this horrifying, potentially apocalyptic thing recently". I think I feel safer about scientists creating black holes to study them than I do Monsanto's contagious gene tampering.

If we ever do have a zombie apocalypse in real life, all my money is on it being a result of something Monsanto did.

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

Funnily enough there is a brain parasite that consumes the higher function areas of the brain then hijacks the lower functions, turning the creature into a braindead zombie.

It lives around the Brazil region.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Good thing that microcephaly babies are immune to that then

..I'm awful, aren't I?
Well, at least if you laughed, we can be awful together

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hoh. I thought these forums where about pron, and not about yet another bunch of people misinformed about genetic modification. It's really not that scary. We have decades of research. Sure we should keep it up, but.. out of many, many studies not a single one has proven any risks.

unless you are a mosquito, I wouldn't worry about gene technology messing with mosquitos. Infact, I'd welcome it, sleeping sickness is -not- fun.

As for why Monsanto is always mentioned in such articles.. they seemed to have developed into a scapegoat for anything alternative related. That is a rather fascinating phenomena.

Reactions: XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

That's nice and all, but this isn't about genetic manipulation at all

It's about a pesticide that works on mosquitos, and has been fingered out as suspect for potentially working on human fetusses. I'd expect more investigations into it, really.

There are many things people can blame Monsanto for, but in this case I'd blame the government there for putting stuff in the drinking water and ignoring poverty and diseases long enough for this to become a problem in the first place.

And for paying money for fancy GM-mosquitos that would supposedly remove or hinder the non-GM mosquitos, but didn't really do anything like that. Or at least, they haven't had any effect whatsoever aside from removing tax money that was used to pay for it.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Disregarding the moral shitstorm that is the mentality of "If we can do it, we should", and the classic trope. Allowing any body that's sole purpose is it's own benefit to the point of being detrimental to humanity at large (At this point I don't need to justify this statement), to modify any species on a genetic level without intense supervision and heavy restrictions is beyond irresponsible.

Aside from that, untill geneticists are able to create/modify organisms and have them act EXACTLY as intended, without any aberrant or unexpected results. Your "Decades of research" doesn't mean shit. This isn't horseshoes, where 'close enough' works buddy, this is; one gene sequenced improperly has the possibility of catastrophe.