What's new

In today's news...

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

I hope that wi-fi problem isn't worldwide... It would be a pain to shell out lots of money just to change a router...
The only way your WiFi isn't affected if you either use WEP(which has been trivial to crack for ages) or don't secure the connection at all. Although WPA2-enterprise has some additional protections.

arpaschad

Demon Girl
Reputation score

hmmm WPA-2 here although there is option to change it to WEP but I don't want to fiddle with the settings too much since I'm afraid I will fuck it up...I'll just hope that additional security pulls through...

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Not to steer this away from the current discussion, but...

Basically, a Southampton, Hampshire firm refused to print business cards for a Transgender woman because the owner felt that the current model of "diversity" marginalizes Christian's a bit too much and, regardless of how "innocent" the woman's intents might be, he wouldn't feel comfortable about indirectly supporting the current movement.

On the one hand, I can see where she might feel offended. On the other hand, her reaction (being "gobsmacked" and crying all day) to his refusal tells me he made the right decision. it's also nice to see some push-back against these people rather than smiling and eating shit just to make a buck.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Not to steer this away from the current discussion, but...

Basically, a Southampton, Hampshire firm refused to print business cards for a Transgender woman because the owner felt that the current model of "diversity" marginalizes Christian's a bit too much and, regardless of how "innocent" the woman's intents might be, he wouldn't feel comfortable about indirectly supporting the current movement.

On the one hand, I can see where she might feel offended. On the other hand, her reaction (being "gobsmacked" and crying all day) to his refusal tells me he made the right decision. it's also nice to see some push-back against these people rather than smiling and eating shit just to make a buck.
It went against his own beliefs, so he refused. If he/she worked there and someone wanted to print something offensive to transpeople, he/she would act exactly the same. But that would be fine, ok and understandable?
Yeah, fuck off.
Double fucking standards.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Don't private companies have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason they can think up, without even having to state it? Just a "Nope, find someone else" would have sufficed.

So I can't really sympathize with either party.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Don't private companies have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason they can think up, without even having to state it? Just a "Nope, find someone else" would have sufficed.

So I can't really sympathize with either party.
Thats a highly debated thing and in a lot of different laws
Technically business owners everywhere have that right and at the same time they're also not allowed to discriminate

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That's what I'm getting at, if he'd just kept his gob shut instead of trying to make it an issue, it wouldn't be legally actionable since they'd have a hard time proving it was actual discrimination.

As it stands, even if no legal action is taken against him, all that he's achieved is given the hug-boxers another 'injustice' to whine about.

Last edited:

arpaschad

Demon Girl
Reputation score

here in the Flip (Philippines) although 70% of the population is Roman Catholic most of the people here don't give a rat's ass to what gender you identify as or make a deal about it because "it contradicts my beliefs"...you are a paying customer...I don't care if you are a Slaaneshi cult leader with tentacles pouring out of every orifice in your body...

the ones making a big deal about it are the truly hardcore religious born-again groups but not entirely since I can see some members of their group accepting printing jobs from obviously gay people...

then again I wouldn't trust any of these people's loyalties much since they are too busy mudslinging at each other and trying to see who is the best Christian denomination who follows the "True Path to Salvation..."

it's not about religion they say and then proceeds to forcefeed you their "not-religion"...

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

You feel that a person being surprised at being discriminated against and being depressed about it somehow lends his actions legitimacy?

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

If we go with this logic too deep into rabbit hole, we will end with this:
A gay guy asks straight male out on a date. Straight guy refuses saying: I am straight. Gay guy screams discrimination and calls the press and straight guy is in the wrong.

Printer dude had a right to refuse, transgender dude should be more understandable of printer guy reasons and just find another place.
But, if printer chap was a dick, calling him names, treating him as less because of his ideas and actually offending transgender one, then I would say it's not acceptable.
Shit, if someone wanted to print some satanistic shit and they would be refused that, no one would give a fuck. STOP discrimination against satanism!

Kek, double standards.

All sums up as: "Muh oppression from people that were never oppressed their entire life. But I am fine with oppressing and calling out others because they have different beliefs!"

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

You feel that a person being surprised at being discriminated against and being depressed about it somehow lends his actions legitimacy?
Being surprised about someone finding a political movement abhorrent and not wanting to do anything that may be seen as supporting that movement, and then getting depressed because you have a victim complex? Hell-fucking-yes, I will defend his actions! Sure, he was a prick about making it a specific thing and then explaining that much. But, it's also his decision whether he wants to do a job or not.

Is he an asshole for using the LGBTQ movement as an excuse? Sure. I've seen assholes a-plenty on this board and elsewhere similar in attitude to him. The main point here is, for as much as I'm an ass in equal parts, I don't open a new topic or campaign for public sympathy. I tell the person I'm done with their shit, I'm not going to respond to them on any basis, and move on. If they persist, I report their shit and handle whatever grievance I have with the action (or lack thereof) the authorities of that forum decide on. I don't get depressed or bawl my eyes out like a baby while telling everyone the "mean person hurt my fee-fees."

I empathize with her frustration, yes. I empathize with his position, yes. I don't agree with his methods or her crybaby attitude. The world is shit full of shitty people with a shitty karma system. The difference between being a child and an adult is how you deal with shit.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Anyway, moving away from meh story of the week to something else.

IGN bought Humble-Bundle... Uh-oh...

arpaschad

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Anyway, moving away from meh story of the week to something else.

IGN bought Humble-Bundle... Uh-oh...
what could go wrong?

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

what could go wrong?

I don't have good opinion of IGN, but what happened - happened. Not much we can do about it. Give it some time, it can:
a) get shitty
b) stay as it is
c) get better

Minor cons/pros that can happen are not included.
Personally I think they will turn it into shit. Time will tell.

Last edited:

arpaschad

Demon Girl
Reputation score

now for some more news about anime getting the

do note that he MIGHT be directing an Akira movie...he could still be dropping it...hopefully...

Last edited:

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I don't really take issue with anything he said. I could nitpick details, but it sounds like he would try to be faithful to the manga series than the anime was (however that works.). He also doesn't want to pull the same shit Hollywood does with iconic works from Japan, what with the white-washing and changing the plot to "dumb it down" for western audiences. Because GiTS and Dragonball were so complex and difficult to grasp for 13yo and 8yo me, respectively.

Anyways, tangents aside, it's not really anything that raises flags. If nothing else, he seems hesitant to work on it given the response to how Hollywood butchered GiTS and DB. In his position, I'd be pretty reluctant to touch anything iconic from another country for fear of corporate meddling, too.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Changing plot and few things, to get some creativity going, can be done properly.
*Tries to think about a movie that did this and he still enjoyed it*
Hmm... maybe Deadpool... maybe.

But it's mostly done in such shitty way, it's just worse than bad.
DB movie could have been good/decent, Toriyama himself wanted to help them make it better. They pretty much told him to fuck off.
And on top of that, all disgusting shit that goes behind curtains... Like some degenerates. No wonder they can't produce anything decent those days.
This is Hollywood, chaps and lasses, that old, annoying fart refusing to die. Someone get a pillow and put it down before it gets even more mental and do something so outrageous, we will have to shoot it like it's some wild animal with rabies >_>

Personally I avoid new movies as much as I can. Mostly it's just pure shit.

arpaschad

Demon Girl
Reputation score

and don't forget the Last Airbender and Netflix's Deathnote ...

I don't think Hollywood is the only one fucking up beloved Japanese anime adaptations since Japan itself aren't that hot in their own version of said anime like that live action Full Metal Alchemist film where certainly a western cast would be more fitting than a chinky eyed alchemist named Edward Elric...and don't get me started on the other movies Japan has tried to "faithfully" render...from Attack on Titan and yes even their own version of Deathnote which may or may not be better than the one at Netflix...

the only good anime-to-live-action movie I saw where Japanese film makers had the helm was the Ruruoni Kenshin (Samurai X for you westerners) series of movies and not only does it stayed faithful to the source material, (well there are some scenes from the anime not shown in the movie surely because of time constraints) but the way they handled some slight deviations in the whole arc was so nicely done that you won't notice it unless you are a fanatic and anyone who may have not read the manga or watched the anime series would still like it and say that this was a Japanese version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...

so yeah...that's just my 50 centavos...

there maybe a time Hollywood won't fuck up an anime franchise...but even if they do again at least it won't be said that it has the monopoly of creating anime live action abominations...Japan can equally churn out shite as well...the only difference is Hollywood has more budget but they still decided to fuck it up due to some things like SJWLGBTXYZ and whatnot...

oh and the dreaded words "artistic freedom"...