What's new

Was Thinking About Learning Japanese

Milia

Professional Neko Impersonator
Reputation score
Then discovered Kanji has over 2100 characters.

YAY!

I originally got interested in learning it obviously from being unable to comprehend what the situation is in hentai games that have no English translation. So I thought, maybe I'll look into Japanese and see if I could eventually understand these games, and potentially translate them for others... that is, until I discovered the three alphabets, and 2100 some odd/even number of Kanji characters...

Do I even have a chance? And is it possible to learn Japanese completely free(I no has extra money for language learning...) and without professional help from a instructor, like by say, learning how to pronounciate from videos? Any site recommendations?(I'm not lazy I swear! I'll search for sites on my own, I basically want your opinions on sites you've personally used.)

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score
Re: Was Thinking About Learning Japanese

UrusaiSenpai created a similiar thread about learning japanese, I figured you might want to read up on folks' posts there. Basically, you can learn any language with proper learning material and - most importantly - dedication to actually do it.

I've wanted to learn at least a little bit of japanese, but on my own I'd probably not study serious enough. That's why I'll be visiting a "try-out lesson" of a school in about two weeks. It's only 2 1/2 hours, but they give you an overall idea of how they teach you, what the lessons would be like. Support should be great, as a learning group appears to be five people at max. Plus, you get books and learning material with which you could already learn quite something, should you decide to study all by yourself. The school even offers online support for that kind of scenario.

Their actual course for "japanese for beginners" is quite expensive and takes a few months, but if I should get the feeling that the school's really good, I will consider attending the real thing. It costs way more money than, say, buying a book or checking a website that supports you on the way, but I feel like I'll be only be doing this seriously if I also take it seriously by actually "going to school for it".

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Haven't really learned any myself either (same feeling as when you look at it lol), but think you can definitely learn it. It'll be more difficult without spending any money though, so just persevere! Best of luck :)

Also, know it'll probably take a year or more depending on how much time you can put in, and you might not be able to speak well enough to another speaker by then...

OP
Milia

Milia

Professional Neko Impersonator
Reputation score

UrusaiSenpai created a similiar thread about learning japanese, I figured you might want to read up on folks' posts there. Basically, you can learn any language with proper learning material and - most importantly - dedication to actually do it.

I've wanted to learn at least a little bit of japanese, but on my own I'd probably not study serious enough. That's why I'll be visiting a "try-out lesson" of a school in about two weeks. It's only 2 1/2 hours, but they give you an overall idea of how they teach you, what the lessons would be like. Support should be great, as a learning group appears to be five people at max. Plus, you get books and learning material with which you could already learn quite something, should you decide to study all by yourself. The school even offers online support for that kind of scenario.

Their actual course for "japanese for beginners" is quite expensive and takes a few months, but if I should get the feeling that the school's really good, I will consider attending the real thing. It costs way more money than, say, buying a book or checking a website that supports you on the way, but I feel like I'll be only be doing this seriously if I also take it seriously by actually "going to school for it".
Should you decide to study it at school, I wish you the absolute best of luck! I may try some free alternatives first and see if it's something I even want to pursue. If I can keep my motivation up with anime, manga, and untranslated hentai, then perhaps it'll help to drive me to learn more. (Darn Unholy Jail and Iris Action, I want so badly to understand! It makes it so much better!)

Haven't really learned any myself either (same feeling as when you look at it lol), but think you can definitely learn it. It'll be more difficult without spending any money though, so just persevere! Best of luck :)

Also, know it'll probably take a year or more depending on how much time you can put in, and you might not be able to speak well enough to another speaker by then...
Thanks for the wishes. One of my main concerns is learning and remembering 2100 Kanji with multiple meanings and that can merge. As for speaking, I'll probably have to practice with a fair amount of videos.