What's new

About Main story progression [ RPG game ]

Esther

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Good evening i just want to know what Main story progression you like?

1.Calendar system : story will progress even you not do anything

2.Quest system : story/season will progress aften you complete the story mission
( day and nigth still move on normally,Days in the week still rotate in cycle but not progress to the next season )

Thank you so much for all comment

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: About Main story progression [ RPG game ]

Both of those work, it just depends a whole lot more on the game itself and how well implemented the story is than the exact detail of how it is implemented

A calendar system for example doesn't make sense if nothing of any real note happens for months, or you have frequent timeskipping that makes you not care about what day/week/month it is
But it works very well if you have a strong story that works on having a time-pressured plot or time management as part of the gameplay appeal

Since I do enjoy a little time management in my games, I personally go for the calendar option. But if it's not done well, it's better to go with just quests for progress

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

Generally I prefer quest based games where I don't need to worry about missing out on events. But I will play both as along as they are good games.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

There's a main quest? I'm sorry, I've got terrible sidequest syndrome.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I remember being unreasonably bothered by having a time limit on the main quest in Fallout. It's not as if it was hard to meet it or anything, I just... didn't like having one with such a broad scope.

Having said that, assuming no such hard time limit exists, either system can work and both have their up and downsides but I think I would prefer calendar system with caveats: for instance, you shouldn't be stopped from progressing because you were too fast(or too slow). But being slowed down because you took your time and have to therefore travel during winter, or certain side quests only being available based on the time you've spent in game(as opposed to the progress you've made)? Those kinds of things are nice.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

In an RPG? Quest-based, without a doubt.

You can of course make it more complex by adding cycles where certain events only occur at certain times. So for example if you have a day-night cycle, certain thing only occur in the day, for example. This could also go for seasons, where say that each season is a certain number of days long, and certain things only work in certain seasons.

Additionally, you can make it so that certain things become unavailable after the main quest proceeds past a certain point. It's a fairly common thing to do, but I'm not crazy about it.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Definitely more quest based, missing out on events because you didn't know where to be at a specific time is quite annoying. But having short segments be based on time (eg. deliver this by this day) could be okay, or ones where events open up as time goes by but aren't triggered until you initiate them could be good as well.

Sidequests for life!

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Definitely more quest based, missing out on events because you didn't know where to be at a specific time is quite annoying. But having short segments be based on time (eg. deliver this by this day) could be okay, or ones where events open up as time goes by but aren't triggered until you initiate them could be good as well.

Sidequests for life!
+1