What's new

Remembrance Day

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Today as I write this, is November 11th. Now for some of you this may not mean anything, but in Canada it is Remembrance Day. A very particular day where we remember those that have fallen in the service of their country. Whether it be from the Boer War or Afghanistan. Dieppe or Vimy Ridge. Korea or Bosnia.

And for me, time to remember some good friends that were taken home in a box.

And so I went on parade with my unit, listened to "In Flander's Fields" read by a veteran, and I was thankful for what those who came before me did, and I was thankful to see all in my platoon make it home alive.

So now I raise a beer, and drink up. For while I do believe in remembering what those in the past have done for us, I'm a soldier too, and I know how soldier's would like to be remembered.

And so, any Canadians, any soldiers, or any who would like to give their respect to the fallen, raise a glass with me, and remember the dead.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score
Re: Remembrance Day

So it's like Canadia's version of Veteran's day.

Cool.

I'll toast to that.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Thank ye Chibs.

Serpentar

Lurker
Reputation score

I have respect of any solider that fights to defend liberty and freedom.

"I am sick and tired of war. Its glory is all moonshine.
It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard
the shrieks and groans of the wounded
who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.
War is hell."
From "On Killing" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Should be remember by those that give the cry for War. My salute to those that died serving, served and are still are.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

In my mind, there are two types of people that I truly consider to be the finest human beings in the world: Scholars and soldiers.

In the purest sense, a scholar simply learns and teaches simply because they feel a certain desire to become more knowledgeable. In a similar way, a soldier dedicates himself to serve his fellow man for the sake of the good of the cause he or she fights for. In that way, scholars and soldiers both show a form of discipline that you just can't see in any other human.

Soldiers are the truest representation of honor, which again in my mind is the most valuable thing a human can have. They fight for others, despite the cause. Even if the cause itself was considered to be a bad one, it doesn't make the soldier bad. In fact, it just makes the soldier seem even greater. It's not blind worship of a cause, but rather an unbreakable faith towards their principles.

Soldiers truly are the greatest humans I've ever seen and today, I'll toast to that as well, Sinful.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

*raises a soda can* I'll drink to that

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

When the final taps is sounded and we lay aside life's cares,
And we do the last and gloried parade on heaven's shining stairs,
And the angels bid us welcome and the harps begin to play
We can draw a million canteen checks and spend them in a day.
It is then we'll hear St. Peter tell us loudly with a yell,
"Take a front seat, you soldier men, you've done your hitch in Hell."
--- Frank B. Camp

Lurker
Reputation score

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month...etc

In the US it's Veteran's Day, but it used to be called Armistice Day because it was the day the treaty that ended WWII was signed. It was changed to Veteran's Day on by Congress on account of there were more soldiers than those that fought in WWII and they all deserve some measure of respect. IIRC, of course.

Mirchie

The user previously known as Hero-in-the-Dark
Reputation score

It's Remembrance Day in Britain as well. I have been doing some work with the Royal British Legion over the past few days, raising money, attending Parades etc. I'll join that toast, even if I am a little late.

"Hail the victorious dead." ~Theoden, LotR - Return of the King.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

we have anzac day here.

every year i march in the parade, carrying the banner of my grandfathers unit. there was no one following the banner this year, we marched anyway.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

I'll raise a glass to that...

I have great respect for soldiers. I do however fail to understand most of those that ask for war. How hard can it be to understand that it's a bad thing?

"They drop the bombs, this sudden violence.
Then that terrible sound of silence,
empty streets and emty eyes,
empty faces, empty cries.
Politicians talk, somebody dies,
Please stop telling these vicious lies."

I wrote this when I was 12. I live in Norway, I've never experienced war. How is it, that when a twelve Y.o. can see the bad sides of war, even this specific. How can the children see it, and the leaders miss it?

I can feel I'm slowly loosing that ability to "synchronize" with people that I don't know. Will I loose that ability completely and become one of those that scream for blood as time goes by?

Aurgh, anyways, I like to say:
"Live for those who have died, for every moment of happiness and every moment of kindness that you experience you share with them. And in that moment, they're alive."

Cheers.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The armistice was actually due to the First World War Ending.

But it is nice to see everyone's thoughts on all this. Thank you all for commenting.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm a little late, but I hope everyone had a nice Remembrance/ANZAC/Veterans/Armistice Day. I myself got to carry the flag for the local VFW/legion parade. It's kind of weird being the only one in the parade under 50, but meh.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

My whole unit, and RMC cadets all attended the parade. The Veterans actually have a fairly small part of the ceremonies.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

We actually don't have any units near us really, except for a reserve unit which is deployed now. So all we have is the veterans for our parade.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Ah... you guys deploy entire reserve units?

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, why would you only deploy part of a company.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

No, we send a handful of guys to augment regular force battalions going overseas.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

4 days late, but who's countin?

Either way, awesome day is awesome. Sadly, though, we don't have any army units around here >.> so it's kinda hard to rally supporters.