What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

I am very much enjoying playing The Saboteur. It's not as much of a stealth game as I would have hoped (STILL looking for something comparable to the Splinter Cell series), but damn, setting dynamite on stuff and then watching it blow up while you nitrous away in a classy mid-20th century racecar is actually really fun. Not to mention the fact that the story is immersive and gripping at the same time, DESPITE the fact that I hate WW2 era fiction.

Hate the fact that it's so rough on your PC (major budget slashes were obviously had, there's next to no optimization and the graphics really aren't that great), but if you get something that can at least run it, you'll enjoy it even on lower settings.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Aww and wanted to get that game too. I highly doubt if It'll work on my machine after looking into the requirements. Drat foiled again.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I'm rather enjoying the Saboteur. Plays like a mash of Assassin's Creed, Mercenaries, and Grant Theft Auto. All in good ways though. The combat is pretty good, lots of crap to blow up, some of the perks you can unlock are helpful and fun. While the story isn't too amazing, its the gameplay and fun you have of running about and stabbing the Nazi war machine in the thigh the whole game.

Also, the presentation is quite cool. In areas where Nazi influence is weaker, everything is vibrant colours. In Nazi controlled areas, everything is black and white, with city lights sticking out in bright yellow, the red arm bands on the soldiers a stark red. It's very striking, and very much like Sin City. Well done on the presentation boys.

The Xbox version also gets a free download that takes the pasties off the nipples of the girls in the Burlesque, and you can sit down to watch dances. It doesn't really add anything to the game, and the original price is a rip-off, but for free it adds just a little bit.

Also, Mass Effect 2 comes out tomorrow.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Dear god, you're actually enjoying that game? I thought it was pretty good until I came to the godawful climbing system. Fucking killed The Saboteur for me.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm rather enjoying the Saboteur. Plays like a mash of Assassin's Creed, Mercenaries, and Grant Theft Auto. All in good ways though. The combat is pretty good, lots of crap to blow up, some of the perks you can unlock are helpful and fun. While the story isn't too amazing, its the gameplay and fun you have of running about and stabbing the Nazi war machine in the thigh the whole game.

Also, the presentation is quite cool. In areas where Nazi influence is weaker, everything is vibrant colours. In Nazi controlled areas, everything is black and white, with city lights sticking out in bright yellow, the red arm bands on the soldiers a stark red. It's very striking, and very much like Sin City. Well done on the presentation boys.

The Xbox version also gets a free download that takes the pasties off the nipples of the girls in the Burlesque, and you can sit down to watch dances. It doesn't really add anything to the game, and the original price is a rip-off, but for free it adds just a little bit.

Also, Mass Effect 2 comes out tomorrow.
Funny you'd mention those two games, because I made a deal with myself.

If Dragon Age runs properly on my new machine, which will be arriving shortly, I'm going to purchase Mass Effect 2 once I'm done with DA:O. If it does not, I'm going to buy Saboteur. Saw it at a friend of mine's, and it looked like a lot of fun. And given that I haven't played any of the Assassin's Creed games I'm going into the climbing system thing with a fresh mind.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

@sinful: When you say the story isn't amazing, do you mean you think it's a bad story? because I'm actually really enjoying it. Then and again, I found Dragon Age's story like trying to read a Tale of Two Cities, so it might just be difference in taste.
I did like the WTF lighting (no joke, that's the actual acronym, don't remember what it stands for). Made clearing the missions much more satisfying.

@Oni: Awful climbing system? Other than being overly simplistic, what exactly is wrong with it? You hold forward and tap up.

@Rule34: Just be warned that like I said earlier, Saboteur runs like SHIT. I have a 3ghz processor, 4g ram, and the nvidia 8800 (640mb), and just to be able to run that game at more than five fps on medium settings, I had to use two third-party tweaking programs. If your computer can't handle DA (which mine can at max settings), I would definitely suggest not going with Saboteur. Unless you're buying the console version.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

@ Alias. No, not a bad story, just not amazing. Yeah I'm enjoying it, but it's much better than it could have been. I'm just not expecting anything spectacular. But, in my opinion, games based on the Second World War don't necessarily need an amazing story. Back then, sometimes shit just happened.

@ Oni. Yeah, the climbing system is quite simplistic, and after coming out of Assassin's Creed II archaic almost, it does its job. Though there have been a few points where I got pissed because he wasn't quite doing what I told him too.
So, simple yes, but there's enough annoyances in there to keep it from being really satisfying. Oh well, I spend enough of the game on the streets that it doesn't detract too much.

@Rule. I'm glad I have a 360, cause of these horror stories I hear with Bioware games and the PC. Dragon Age, and Mass Effect, I love those games. but yeah, kinda funny that I did mention them both...

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

horror stories? they seem to run fine on my shitbox (sorry compy, you know i love you)

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

horror stories? they seem to run fine on my shitbox (sorry compy, you know i love you)
*shrugs* I suppose the ones who can't play speak louder than the ones who can... being that they can't play the game and all.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

No More Heroes 2 comes out tomorrow.

Can't. Fucking. Wait. o____x

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Ah Tuesdays. Somebody is gonna get somethin

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Funny, most new releases come out on Tuesdays, but games always seem to come out on Wednesdays. Whenever I get my call for Aerith or Aubrey or whatever the hell Gamestop's named their automated voice girl now, I call them and it's like "Are you going to have it?" "Not until tomorrow." "That's what I thought." Course, I freaking love the fact that I go, get my game, and have been playing it for several hours when I get the "It's in!" phone call. *shakes head*

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

LOL

That girl sounds horrible. She sounds like she's fucking screeching at me when a message is left about how my game will be out tomorrow or whatever. But as some of us may know, Gamestop doesn't think a whole lot of its female fanbase.

Last edited:

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Ah, training videos. Honestly, for a minute, I thought this might have been a spoof. And just listening to it further, it reminds me of all the motivational crap that all my past jobs have had me watch. Outside of the fact that they're focusing on women, this could be for any customers, really, especially with the contrived customer response in the second scenario. And I can't decide if it *is* trying to be degrading toward women or "Hurr hurr male gamestop employees are dumb and can't talk to females." *shakes head* Second one had me laughing, though, because, yes, that is the thoughts that run through employees' heads when they watch stuff like this.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

I like how there was marge simpson and mom.

also reminds me of a video i saw about doing well in interviews where one of the interviewers would keep pausing time and basically telling the guy to go back and do stuff properly (worst interviewer ever, way to get a substandard employee)

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Funny... all the stuff in that gamestop video is how the folks at my local EB react to pretty much everyone.

"Hey, can I help you? Looking for anything specific?"

Then when I start going on about the video games I know, they pretty much are on track with me. I've seen them do the same thing with pretty much everyone else unless the store is retarded busy. In which case they just stay behind the counter and run games through.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

I remember how when I first saw that training video, I asked the manager of the Gamestop I always go to if he had ever seen it. His response was to shake his head and tell me that he only watched about 5 minutes of it before turning it off; he thought it was a joke. Meanwhile the other guy working there was going "What video? What video?! o________O". Turns out he had never shown it to anyone after he shut it off.

Honestly, it's pretty pathetic that Gamestop thought that both female customers are complete aliens to buying things in their store, while assuming that men simply cannot communicate with anyone who doesn't have a penis. Like Sinful said, that's how most normal employees will talk to you, except there's not any subtle sexism involved. If I go into a hardware store, I would expect someone to ask if I needed help finding anything. I wouldn't expect them to be trying to shove a horribly sexist promotion down my throat though.

All in all the video is well meaning...but goddamn is it sexist.

And yeah, the Marge and Mom thing were kind of random.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

@Sinful and Alias: What are you playing The Saboteur on? I was playing it for a while at a friends place and you had to hammer the button to climb up a building. How the hell is that a good climbing system?

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

PC. Having to tap the spacebar for five seconds at a time until I'm at the top of a building doesn't bother me in the slightest.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

It annoyed the fuck out of me, and so I'll be giving it a miss. I've got more games to play and complete anyway. And Prototype doesn't need me to hammer a button to climb buildings.