What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

There was another one...Dragon Rage, I think, for PS2 which was pretty much dogfighting as a dragon. Never really took off, though.

Another game I know that you can get "monsters" to attack each other is in the King Kong adaptation. I guess you can make the big T-rexes fight. Nothing too huge, but while we're on the topic for now.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Bioshock... You can make splicers attack others and stuff.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

WOULD YOU KINDLY SPLOICORS

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

I never did play Panzer Dragoon. Is it worth picking up? I might put it on my to do list. The thing is, they were talking about RPGs that had that capability. Wasn't Panzer Dragoon one of those scrolling-down-jet-flyer-fighter thing games?

Zoto

Lurker
Reputation score

yeah kinda like starfox lylat wars actually. except you know youre riding a freakin' dragon.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

I never did play Panzer Dragoon. Is it worth picking up? I might put it on my to do list. The thing is, they were talking about RPGs that had that capability. Wasn't Panzer Dragoon one of those scrolling-down-jet-flyer-fighter thing games?
If you own a Sega Saturn or original XBox, then yeah, they're worth picking up. Well, if you have over £/$100 to spend on one game for the Saturn that is.

Hrm...RPG's eh? I know there was one game for the PS1 where you played as people who could transform into dragon people, though I'm not sure of the title as I only played the demo. There's probably more, but I prefer tactical RPG's.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

That would be Legend of Dragoon. Awesome fucking game. Only ever played the first disc. The friend who lent it to me lost the second one, and I've never been able to find an iso that was complete.

Ugh. Now I want to play that game again.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Me reflecting on the Prime series on Steam IM with someone.

<ULMF>Calus: *reading up on the reception on each of the Metroid Prime games*
<ULMF>Calus: I pretty much agree with the reviews shown in Wikipedia, but this is what I personally think of the series.

<ULMF>Calus: Prime: Awesome... Although most of the time it's a fucking mystery as to what you're supposed to do next, despite having a map and OMG GO HERE NEXT beacons on it. Good amount of difficulty overall. Challenging but never really unfair.

<ULMF>Calus: Prime 2: SHIT I'M ALMOST DEAD FROM THAT MINIBOSS. WHERE THE FUCK DO I FIND THAT FETCH-QUEST OBJECT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO GO INTO A FUCKING PORTAL HALFWAY ACROSS THE MAP AND THEN TREK BACK TO THIS SAME SPOT IN THE DARK WORLD? SHIT, I JUST BETTER GO SAVE... WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE CLOSEST SAVE ROOM IS ALL THE WAY FROM WHERE I FIRST CAME FROM?! OH GOD ANOTHER MINIBOSS?! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--

<ULMF>Calus: Prime 3: A little easy with somewhat excessive handholding. Your objective is ALWAYS clear though and is actually pretty well explained as to how to get there/do it. Boss fights aren't as cool as in the first two games, but overall it feels as though the Prime series ended on a very good note.

Which one these do you guys agree with the most? :B

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I hate to sound like a puss, but my first few steps into phendrana drifts was my my beautiful moment in games. I never wanted to exit the main plaza. I thought that was an entire series that could use more monster infighting, but all it had were some metroids going insane on things, with plenty of other differing creatures around.

But yeah. Prime was good, and I never thought there was that big of a mystery on your next objective. I never really had a problem getting around.

Prime 2 was decent, but yeah, the split was wicked fucking annoying.

And yes, 3 was also a good game, better than 2, but ridiculously easy.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

That would be Legend of Dragoon. Awesome fucking game. Only ever played the first disc. The friend who lent it to me lost the second one, and I've never been able to find an iso that was complete.

Ugh. Now I want to play that game again.
Good luck with that, though I suppose you might be able to emulate it. I think it falls under those "insanely rare games if you want to find them complete." Or it could just be me, because I didn't want a GH version and had to hunt all over creation for an original.

Combat took a bit of getting used to but you're right. Fricking awesome ass game. And one of the one that inspired my first kernels of fanfiction, though I never wrote it. Still have the idea in my head and I *might* get to it someday. The only thing that scares me is the basis for the fic is something that takes place midway in the game and I haven't scoured enough walkthroughs to know if I can get the info I need from that, since I hate inaccuracies, even in stuff you make up *laughs*

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

That's the thing - I can't find a complete iso download TO emulate it. Trust me - I've tried. It's really annoying. I'll have to hunt some more tomorrow when I have some free time. And the combat was probably the best part of the game; I loved the rush you got when you completed one of the most complicated combos like that one spearman's ridiculous 12-step combo (blossom something).

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh, and god forbid you fucked it up. The counter attacks were BRUTAL. I think Rose was my favorite out of all of them, though.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Metroid Prime: I never felt lost except for one point in the game, I think towards the end, and even then I said 'F it' and just ran through previous areas scanning stuff I hadn't taken the time to scan before until I figured out where to go.

Metroid Prime 2: ASDFGHJKL
In all seriousness, yes, this game was the hardest of the three IMO; it felt a little like the old Metroid games in terms of difficulty. It wasn't AS difficult as the old games, but it definitely tried.

Metroid Prime 3: The only difficult part was getting used to the Wii-mote. Otherwise, it was probably the easiest out of the three. It was still fun, though.

The only thing that annoyed me was going through and scanning what I THOUGHT was everything, only to find out I missed a only-shows-up-once-and-only-briefly scan that was usually halfway through/almost at the end of the game.
I also think there was something about Corruption that annoyed me that had to do with Wii... something or other. Can't remember off the top of my head. I think it had to do with one of the 'achievements' or w/e.

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Ninja Gaiden II was a damn hard game. I think I made it to the Russia level before shutting the game down and saying "fuck it,". I sold it recently to help purchase Darksiders. I dunno, the fact that I went up against squads of soldiers with automatic rocket launchers made it slightly annoying.

Ili

Lurker
Reputation score

I found Divinity II both hard and unfufilling.
I didn't play longer than an hour or so. The reason? Levelling.

I detested the levelling system. In most RPGs you can expect to have a moderate level of competency to allow you to begin the game at a reasonable note. Not so in Divinity. In Divinity you are level -10. That is the only way to describe it.

The first side-quest I encountered basically consisted of my character having the snot beaten out of her by guards. I was expecting a fight, not having to be beaten half to death for a 5-second encounter.

Then I continued on my merry way to another side quest, now quite sore. Battling through a horde - A HORDE - of goblin prats I go into an underground building and find my usual technique of roll around to kite and shoot with a bow gone to waste because of the tunnels as I was fighting creatures rediculously powerful compared to myself. THIS WAS A SIDE QUEST BUILDING. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

So I died. And then closed the game and played Torchlight instead.

Now Torchlight, that's a game I'm learning to love. :3

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Cool. I wonder if the gameplay is going to be as addicting as the old Genesis games. Kudos to Sega for going back to their roots and getting rid of stupid shit like giving Sonic a sword. (WTF was up with that anyway?)

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Wait, wait... wait..... A NEW Sonic game where the ONLY protagonist is Sonic?

FUCKING FINALLY.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

AND it seems like it'll be in the vein of his old 2D sidescrolling games.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I've never heard of Torchlight Ili, what's that one?