*thinks on it a moment* Kender?

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Kender (and, in my opinion, most small mischievous/malicious races) are probably bastardized versions of the original dwarves of Germanic lore.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

On the original (greek) minotaur: A king prayed for a bull as a sign of favor from the gods and when he got it, instead of sacrificing it like he was supposed to, he kept it. So the spurned god called in some favors, and got the king's wife to fall in love with the gods-bull. Weird shit happened, and she ended up fucking the bull. This is how the minotaur was born. Since it was neither animal nor man, and the result of an unnatural pairing of man and beast, it one day decides to eat people because regular food just don't cut it. So the king had a maze built to contain the bloodthirsty bastard. I assume that was their death row, because the beast lived long enough in the maze to be later killed.

Every other minotaur is just kind of bastardized off that frenzied man beast.
That doesn't sound so much demonic as... a beast. An animal that feeds off flesh. Just like lions, wolves and other carnivorous creatures. So eating a person doesn't mean evil... unless they was a person.

Lurker
Reputation score

He was half-man, and bulls typically aren't carnivorous. So even if it wasn't outright evil, it was still likely frowned upon at social affairs.

Yes, I know that's the head of a bison. It's the best google images could do.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

That's the point.
Nevertheless, the original legend has next to nothing to do with minotaurs as portrayed in fantasy.

Lurker
Reputation score

I would imagine it does, as all minotaurs were based off that first guy. Minotaurs I see are usually chaotic and/or evil. When they are lawful/neutral/good it's generally being played for humor.

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I would imagine it does, as all minotaurs were based off that first guy.
As you yourself said, that's not the point.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Mannish Man, the Manly Minotaur?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

He was half-man, and bulls typically aren't carnivorous. So even if it wasn't outright evil, it was still likely frowned upon at social affairs.
It's from a mythology, that's the way he was. He still wasn't quite human, nor bull. And humans are omnivores, so the human portion would make for the meat eating portion. Who knows, maybe he lived between prisoners being sent into his labyrinth by licking moss and cave slime.

Again, lets wait and see what happens before he start saying the Qunari have suddenly gone all evil just because some are born with horns.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It's from a mythology, that's the way he was. He still wasn't quite human, nor bull. And humans are omnivores, so the human portion would make for the meat eating portion. Who knows, maybe he lived between prisoners being sent into his labyrinth by licking moss and cave slime.

Again, lets wait and see what happens before he start saying the Qunari have suddenly gone all evil just because some are born with horns.
From what I have read so far, the mythology points to the Qunari being a lot like the Tau from Warhammer 40k or the Clans from BattleTech. Namely, Lawful Neutral.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Lawful Neutral.
It always amazes me how awesome the d&d moral compass chart is at gauging how a particular person/race's ethics are wired. Has there ever been a system as useful as that simple little 3x3 grid in describing someone's entire moral fiber in two words?

Last edited:

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It always amazes me how awesome the d&d moral compass chart is at gauging how a particular person/race's ethics are wired. Has there ever been a system as useful as that simple little 9x9 grid in describing someone's entire moral fiber in two words?
It's a 3x3 grid. And no, I honestly can't say that there has ever been anything quite so comprehensive. It's a little difficult sometimes, but I've never heard of a character, race, or social group that couldn't be described using it.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

You've obviously never played Command and Conquer Red Alert 2; Yuri's Revenge then. Fucking Siege Choppers.
Pft, siege choppers. GGI Battle fortresses eat those like candy (and everything else). ((Mind you, siege choppers are still good :V))

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

After about 5 years of running freebie online games (having lost one of them during that course of time) NCSoft is this wednesday removing it's remaining free online game, Exteel, from it's public server setup. Having played it a majority of that time, I'm still surprised that the fact the first online FPS I ever play closing is bringing me to tears.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I personally never really understood the different between Lawful Neutral and Neutral Good. Which is strange cuz Chaotic Neutral and Neutral Evil I understand, though the difference in the descriptions I received still seem a little trivial. Maybe it was all the fault of description.

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Neutral Good means that you want to do good, while Lawful Neutral means that you don't really care about good or evil, you just play by the rules rather than making moral decisions.

For example, if you're caught speeding, a neutral good cop would probably let you off with a warning if you had a good excuse, while lawful neutral cop will almost always give you a ticket unless you have a really good reason.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That is an amazing metaphor.

Can you do one for the other two, cuz as far as I can see, it's like they're both out for themselves and their goals and may join up a team for their own ends while Neutral Evil is harder to get along with and Chaotic Neutral is less organized and might actually feel bad for other people.

The only thing I can imagine is that a regular corporate joe is usually chaotic neutral, while a regular corporate asshole neutral evil