What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Torchlight is single player Diablo.

I got it for 5 dollars and bored myself after the first dungeon.

Asmodean

Lurker
Reputation score

Torchlight... No better way to say it then Yahtzee dose.

Ili

Lurker
Reputation score

Torchlight is essentially a remake of the original Diablo. Single player random dungeon crawler. If you like standard hack-n-slash and Diablo, you'll like Torchlight.

Urgh... Yahtzee.

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

And if you can only enjoy the repetitive gameplay by playing with friends, you'll hate Torchlight.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So apparently "The Saboteur" for PC requires TWO GB of RAM to even run. I'd like to be the first to say WHAT IN THE FUCKING HELL to it, but I'm probably not. Sooner or later I'll probably have to buy a new PC (or have my parents buy it *cough*).

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

BLARGLE.

So, a couple of games my friends wanted me to play recently: Titan Quest Immortal Throne, and League of Legends(LOL).

Immortal Throne:
Anyone familiar with Diablo II would probably feel at home here, seeing as how it's pretty much just that. The difference being it's in Ancient Rome/Greece, and you don't start as a specific class - instead, you pick a 'Mastery' at level two, and have the option of picking a second 'Mastery' at level 8. The game has 9 'Mastery' classes, therefore allowing up to 45 (I think) 'unique' combinations.
Personally, I'm liking it so far, but I think they could have learned a thing or two from Diablo II's inventory system... the amount of room in the inventory feels weird half the time and fine the other half, and the auto-sort usually sucks balls. I like how there aren't any 'Scroll of Town Portal/Identify' that you have to mess with (they have a 'Recall Stone' or something you throw on the ground instead that acts like a 'Scroll of Town Portal', only you have to have a 'Portal'(waypoint) that you can travel back to for it to work).

TLDR for those of you who are impatient, it's a game that's like Diablo II, that you'll like if you liked DII, and you won't if you didn't like DII.

League of Legends:
. . . It's DOTA.
You go into a battle, pick a 'Champion' that you control, it has 4 spells, 1 of which you have to get to a certain level to be able to put any points into. Max level of your 'Champion' is 18, your account... sorry, 'Summoner' earns experience for every game, more for winning than for losing, and every level up you gain a 'Mastery' point which you can use towards leveling your summoner in one of three areas: Offense, Defense, or Utility. Each branch has skills to put points into, higher skills must be unlocked by putting enough points into the specific 'Mastery' branch.
There are also Runes and Summoner Spells and during a game you can buy items that benefit your 'Champion' and blahblahblah.
I will give it this, it looks nice. Never played Demi-god or w/e, so I can't compare it to that, but compared to the DOTA Warcraft III custom map, it looks nice. I also like that you always start out with a level 1 'Champion', unlike DOTA where that was only optional, therefore most of the time you'd get in matches with level 9001 or something people.
EXACTLY LIKE DOTA, however, more often than not (99% of the time) if you go to play versus other humans, you'll wind up in a game against all level 30-40 Summoners, who do nothing but play the game, and who act all big when they beat you when you're only level 2-3, on a team with MAYBE a level 7.

TLDR; IT'S DOTA.
Also, I dunno what's up right now, I was told it was free, but all the 'Champions' say 'Temporarily Available' when I hover over them. I know you can buy Champions in the store with points you earn for finishing a game (more for winning than for losing), but ALL the Champions I can use have that temporary thing. Which to me either means A) it's in BETA or something, or B) it's temporarily free, meaning at some point I'd have to pay for something, which would be the same time at which I'd stop playing it altogether.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

That Immortal Throne game sounds good. I'll pass on the other though.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i preferred HoN to LoL, despite that LoL has a character called Nunu.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

That Immortal Throne game sounds good. I'll pass on the other though.
If you're at all into Greek Mythology and Diablo II you should definitely check it out. It's surprisingly addicting, and it's good for even a short bit of playing. It's pleasantly long as well, you don't always get that from games these days. I think by the time I finished the normal difficulty playthrough I had 3 days worth of playtime. You can get it pretty cheap as well, as the company that made it went broke and blamed it on software pirates.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

If you're at all into Greek Mythology and Diablo II you should definitely check it out. It's surprisingly addicting, and it's good for even a short bit of playing. It's pleasantly long as well, you don't always get that from games these days. I think by the time I finished the normal difficulty playthrough I had 3 days worth of playtime. You can get it pretty cheap as well, as the company that made it went broke and blamed it on software pirates.
I don't think I got it from a pirate. I mean, he had an eyepatch, pegleg, and said 'YARR' a lot, but I figure that accidents happen at a welding factory.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Going back to that mention on Legend of Dragoon, shame they never had a sequal. That coulda easily been a contender with the Final Fantasies of the age.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah. Not sure that they set themselves up for a direct sequel (it's been a while since I played) but then, FF only has a couple of direct sequels as well. Seeing that as a series might have been good. Now I'm wanting to go back and play and god help me, I already have enough RPGs that I haven't played yet, I don't need to go back and do ones I've already finished *laughs*

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Heh, I keep going back to FFX to play Blitzball... god it's addicting.

Yeah, I've got some stuff that I need to get through as well, primarily Tales of Symphonia 2. It's just hard for me to get into it for some reason.
I also have Xenosaga II and III I want to play through, but I don't wanna play III 'till I get through II, and it's like pulling teeth for me to play II, I just DO NOT like the way they handle battles in that one. The difficulty of the monsters also seems more punishing in that game if you don't take time to grind and level up. At least in the first one I only had to start grinding about half-way through... in II I had to start at (at least it feels like it) a much earlier stage.

I've also got Tales of Legendia and Tales of the Abyss to finish up. I've gotten pretty far in both, but college keeps interrupting >.<

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Stupid college.

I hear ya there. Swear to god, the .hack series put me to sleep so many times because it's "run through the field, run through the dungeon, fight the big monster/rescue the npc/find the treasure *lather, rinse, repeat* Then, of course, there's the games that scale with you, so it doesn't matter how much you grind, the enemies are always as strong/stronger.

And yeah, I've got a list of games I need to finish, going all the way back to the Nintendo *laughs* (Okay, just Final Fantasy on that, but I've done that on other systems, so I'm not counting it.) The Chrono games, some of the previously unreleased FFs, Symphonia (I think...), the Shadow Hearts series (including Koldelka), Xenogears/saga, Drakenguard, Xmen Legacy, Lunar...Not to mention the new games I keep getting *grins* Thankfully, I now have the internet to play around with because I'd be so lost coming back to some of these things after not having played them for years. Might even prompt me to pick up games I'd been stuck on while renting them, given I can now look up a walkthrough if I get really stuck (Vagrant Story. Blah!)

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Symphonia 2 is...uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh... I dunno how to put it. Mediocre is the word that comes to mind. It feels like it was just kind of taped onto the first game. Only Colette and Presea and Kratos (in a small cameo aside from the narration, but only after beating the game once) have their original voice actors returning. I will say that Colette is SUPER ADORABLE this time around. The new voice actors are okay, save for Sheena and Zelos being completly ruined. Tenebrae is easily the best new character though. I have a bone to pick with the way ToS2's difficulty curve works, but I'll save that for another post or somethin'.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Stupid college.

I hear ya there. Swear to god, the .hack series put me to sleep so many times because it's "run through the field, run through the dungeon, fight the big monster/rescue the npc/find the treasure *lather, rinse, repeat* Then, of course, there's the games that scale with you, so it doesn't matter how much you grind, the enemies are always as strong/stronger.

And yeah, I've got a list of games I need to finish, going all the way back to the Nintendo *laughs* (Okay, just Final Fantasy on that, but I've done that on other systems, so I'm not counting it.) The Chrono games, some of the previously unreleased FFs, Symphonia (I think...), the Shadow Hearts series (including Koldelka), Xenogears/saga, Drakenguard, Xmen Legacy, Lunar...Not to mention the new games I keep getting *grins* Thankfully, I now have the internet to play around with because I'd be so lost coming back to some of these things after not having played them for years. Might even prompt me to pick up games I'd been stuck on while renting them, given I can now look up a walkthrough if I get really stuck (Vagrant Story. Blah!)
I fucking loved the .hack series, a shame I never completed the third game, my save data got corrupt and I lost the will to start over from the beginning.

And Koldelka? Do you mean ? It's a fucking win game, again its a shame I never completed it. I only got to the second disc, but I do plan on buying it at some point. What impressed me though is that it's set in Wales, in a town called which is only a few hours drive from where I live.

And I've got plenty of games that I need to complete, yet I still buy them like they're hot cakes. This is some of what I've got to complete;

Odin Sphere
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters
Tokobot Plus: Mysteries of the Karakuri
GrimGrimoire
Monster Rancher
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 4
Overlord
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Deus Ex
Prototype
Halo 3 ODST
Modern Warfare 2
Oblivion
Viva Pinata (though I'm not sure whether there is an endgame to it)
Mass Effect
Borderlands
Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core
Dissidia Final Fantasy (I just need to unlock some stuff)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Prinny; Can I Really Be The Hero?

And thats just the ones that spring to mind. I've got a fuckton more to list, about 20 of them are DS games. Speaking of, I'm tempted to buy the DSi XL when it comes out in March. If I do all I'll need to get is the DS Phat and I've got all the models of the DS minus the different colours. But they aren't that important.

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Games I want to complete:

• I wanna be the guy

That's it.

Two fucking years running and I'm pretty sure I'm on stage 3.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Would you be so kind as to explain that Obe?
I'm imagining dinos and a man in a robe,
could you tell me perhaps what this game is about,
Maybe just a whisper or an all out shout?

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

You haven't heard of ? Have you been living under a rock?

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

This may help you with I wanna be the guy more then any explanation would do.