What's new

The Game Thread

Ryu Doppler

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: The Game Thread

I was going to post this in the Awesome Videos Thread... but considering the subject this thread seemed more appropriate.

Stumbled across this while looking for Rogue like videos on Youtube. At first glance I thought it was merely a Minecraft Adventure map, but as it turns out it's a game this guy has been developing as a sort of 3D roguelike. It's a Java jar file game and very much an early alpha at the moment (The map for example isn't randomized, however enemies and items appear to be), but looks to have some potential if the guy keeps at it.

There's actually an early alpha download you can fiddle with on his project forum. Just check the link in the video and it should be on the first post, should anyone wish to try it out.

Zelzar

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

So, here I am trying to give you some information about "Reincarnation"
If you don't know about the "Reincarnation" series, I will explain:

You are a purple demon from hell named "Vile" who by the orders of the devil named "Luke" are tasked to bring souls that have escaped from hell by first find out if they have done crimes after their escape and then by a creative way, kill them. With great animation and fantastic voice-acting.

So, the game is a Point 'n' Click game and is pretty short, should only take about 5 minutes to complete if you're really good at Point 'n' Click games.
So try out one of the early Reincarnation games

So, why am I bringing this up at all?
Well, the game's creator, Chris Gianelloni decided to make a big project for the Reincarnation series.
Hence Reincarnation: The Root of All Evil

From the information that are there at the moment it will be a pretty big project, about seven souls (I think) to kill and about 3-5 hours of gameplay (depends on how good you are at Point 'n' Click).
Each character will be fully voiced, each level will be beautifully rendered, characters will have plenty of animations for all their actions and 2D + 3D cut scenes.

The creator is asking for donations in Kickstarter.com to the game and you will also recieve goodies if the donation is big. The money will go to coders, animators, voice actors and such. There will be updates and interaction with backer for ideas for even more rewards.

At this time the project have collected a bit over half the funds they need and there's ony 20 days left, from when this is posted.
So if you like the series or wants to help, feel free to donate to help the project become.

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

toonstruck, the only point and click adventure thingy i actually liked

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Am I the only person to have picked up that Dragons Dogma game that Capcom snuck out there back door?

My review:

They boasted-As large as Oblivion!

My findings- Nowhere near as large as Morrowind, but still a rather large map in it's own right... Though with no means of early (Or later- Cheap) fast travel long treks can grow groan worthy

They Boasted- Dozens of enemies to slaughter!

My Findings- While the variety of creatures you may find do span more a few dozen, the creartures you actually find as you are playing are few, Harpie, Snow Harpie, Wolf, Dire Wolf, Three different types of Bandits, (Melee range Mage) and the odd boss monster (Chimera, Griffon, Cyclops)

There are other more entertaining fights though, Hydras... Gorgons... Golems That make the game less monotonous...

They Boasted- Expansive story

My Findings- The story isn't too bad, starting with a Dragon eating your Heart and ending with a duel over the throne of God himself, qliche in the adventure dept. but the hidden side story things along the way are what give the game it's charm, like the relation ship of a Pawn to an Arisen, the reasons Pawns are a Blank slate at creation and the reason they gain knowledge (other than being more usefull in combat of course...)

They Boasted- Co-operative Gameplay

My Findings- Sort of... See, every character (Arisen) has there own personal slave (Pawn) and you raise in level with your Pawn only, but that leaves a two man team... Sometimes two people aren't enough firepower... So you go and hire two more Pawns... Where do those Pawns come from? Other players... You "Buy" a contract for other peoples pawns with a separate type of Funding (Rift Crystals) and as you work with this pawn the owner gains additional Crystals instead of Exp...

So it's more of a Borrow trade system than a Co-operative Gameplay mechanic, Sending a friends pawns to help each other progress through the story faster...

Especially seeing as how you can hire a Person on your Friends List for Free...

Makes it kinda funny, for a newly Created Arisen, to just start out with a Lvl 82+ Super Tank with over 100 carrying capactiy, just cause they were on my friends list now don't it?

They get through the game easy, and I get paid, and they don't have to shell out the million Rift Crystals to hire him in the first place

Overall: There are points that definatly need improvement... Especially interacting with NPC's I dunno HOW many times I heard that accursed Blacksmith utter "There Masterworks all, you can't go wrong." before you wanna bash his fuzzy head in with his hammer...

But with addictive boss fights, hoardes of cannon fodder to cut through and well more than 60+ hours of questing... With the addition of Both a New feature of "Post Game" AND "New Game+" adding harder enemies in the prior and new features to the later... I think theres still gonna be some time before I set my bow down and let the Ur-Dragon rest for a few generations...

And the Resident Evil 6 demo I'll be playing in two more weeks because of it is just icing on the cake...

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Actually tried the demo of that and it was one of those "not sure if want" things. I recall the boast of the expansive character customization and I did kind of like what they did with it. I love the fact that you can give your character ba-donk-a-donk ass. Still, I found the demo a bit confusing. Might wind up picking it up when it goes cheap, but we'll have to see. I've already got enough on my gaming plate, but then, I can never have too many *laughs*

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

WHAT.
THE.
ACTUAL.
FUCK.

It's a dating game. With pigeons. WAT.

Unnatural Kiwi

Sex Demon
Reputation score

WHAT.
THE.
ACTUAL.
FUCK.

Yep, in a world where bird flu killed off most of humanity and birds conquered (however that works).
Not to mention one bird is a serial killer.

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Actually tried the demo of that and it was one of those "not sure if want" things. I recall the boast of the expansive character customization and I did kind of like what they did with it. I love the fact that you can give your character ba-donk-a-donk ass. Still, I found the demo a bit confusing. Might wind up picking it up when it goes cheap, but we'll have to see. I've already got enough on my gaming plate, but then, I can never have too many *laughs*
Yea, I also played the demo before buying... And its actually a good way to settle you into things... Once you actually HAVE the game... Theres no actuall tutorial that tells you how to really kill any of the big creatures... Alot of it is trial and Error, or sitting back and watching a more experienced Hired Pawn do some of the work and then "Ah-hah! So THATS how you get a Cyclops to remove his helmet!"

I think... Now that I think about it... This games like the illigitimate bastard child of Dragon Age and Shadow of the Collosus...

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

WHAT.
THE.
ACTUAL.
FUCK.

On a slightly related note, .

I linked it in the shoutbox a while ago, but, yeah! Tokyo Jungle.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I think... Now that I think about it... This games like the illigitimate bastard child of Dragon Age and Shadow of the Collosus...
I think it takes more from the movie DragonHeart than Dragon Age.

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

True the game has alot to do with hearts and stuff, but I'm talking about things like:

Take Shadow of Collosus wide open plains, and all of Biowares "Empty" cities with only a handfull of people to talk to.

Skirmishes of Dragon Age for regular battles (3 spec ability, press a button, another 3 specs), and either the long grinding whittling of damage, or pinpoint damage to certain weakpoints to bosses from Collosus

And spliting it right down the middle conversation ways...

Absolutly nothing but incoherent mumbles and giggerish in Collosus and... So many choices for dialouge your almost guaranteed to find a new sound clip each time you play... Although Dorman and various sounds that could be ripped from Link's Voice Overs and and articulate speech filled game averaged out to a game filled with NPCs having a preset, uncycling catchphrase...

After playing through my second time I noticed a certain character actually played out on her usuall "Pose" when the situation didn't call for it... Scared and running for your life, you do not pirrouette and dip down unless you were deliberatly trying to egg on some hurt... Maybe Capcom threw it in BECAUSE they knew the NPC's were so limited? A veiled joke...?

Oh, and as a little update?

No longer 82... Now soon to be 98...

FantasiaVixen

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

So, uh... . It's a fabulous and badass game at the same time.
I know a bunch of people here play it, and I'd like to know their high scores. Mine's at 90030.

EDIT: 101696 now.
Mine is at 101234 :eek:

Lurker
Reputation score

What about board games? Do you guys do board games?

I've been playing a game called Last Night on Earth a good deal with some friends of mine; it's a hugely customizable experience. There are (with all the current expansions, we got a deal somewhere) 12 or 16 characters of which four will ever see play at a time, ten board pieces of which five will see play at a time, a shitload of different objectives and sets of extra rules which come in one at a time, and oodles of optional rules and extras for you to screw with.

Just got a card game called Chrononauts, wherein the players are all time travelers trying to either A) return to their home timeline, B)collect specific artifacts, or C) amass wealth and power. It's a little complicated to explain, but it's a good deal of fun. I'll be checking out the expansions soon, maybe.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Munchkin.

It has an axe cop expansion.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Arkham Horror. You (and your friends) against the game against an ancient Lovecraftian horror. Games can go anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. Insane (heheheh) fun.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Arkham Horror. You (and your friends) against the game against an ancient Lovecraftian horror. Games can go anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. Insane (heheheh) fun.
I was JUST hearing about that, and that it was fantastic. Kinda wish I could play it

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Technically, it is possible to play Arkham single-player but I can't vouch for the difficulty level at that point, considering you have to worry about the monsters running around in the street, the portals opening up (releasing more monsters), closing the portals while more open up, and not letting the terror level get too high, thus making the game even more difficult. On the plus side, the less players there are, the less you have to do, but still...

Oh, and the expansions make the games even *more* difficult. Gotta love it!

Lurker
Reputation score

I have a friend who has all of the expansions for Arkham Horror. There is one box for board pieces and rule books, and then two tackle boxes for all of the cards, tokens, chips, markers, and assorted other detritus. The games get to be exceedingly intense.