What's new

Music Suggestions..

Serpentar

Lurker
Reputation score
OK I have become stuck in a rut when it comes to my music selection, having not really listened to anything new in about a year. I consider myself pretty eclectic when it comes to what I like. Everything from 8-bit, game sound tracks, rap, older country, rock, Beatles, and electronica. My main favorites are along the trance, house, high energy type stuff. Though I will consider any suggestion tossed my way..

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Re: Music Suggestions..

By "rap" do you mean mainstream rap? Because if the answer is yes, I'm afraid that I won't be able to help you.

OP
Serpentar

Serpentar

Lurker
Reputation score

So far what I have listened to in that genre is mainstream, though I am willing to listen to new stuff.

Lurker
Reputation score

Two sites I'll suggest:

Give it music you like and it will build playlists around it, often adding music you've never heard. A bit ad happy.

Much the same, but with another way to pick: by the tone of the music. You'll get it when you get there.

Hope this has been a help.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Awesome band. And if you've played Borderlands, you've heard at least one of their songs (the opening song).

There's also .

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Listening to it right now.

I'm going to assume you know about the Touhou Project's music, but just in case... there's about 16 games worth of soundtracks, and the general consensus that it's very, very good music. There's also the fact that there are shittons of remixes. .

, who are pretty cool. Also look up "New East Sound", "O-Life Japan", and ziki_7.

I've been recommended , but I haven't really checked him out.

, Acapella Metal.

, a Hawaiian group. More laid-back than what you might be looking for, though. Also see Ten Feet, and um... fuck, I can't remember any other names. :(

Regarding game OSTs, if you haven't heard of them before, you've heard of them now. , , .

And just to be classy: ,

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

So far what I have listened to in that genre is mainstream, though I am willing to listen to new stuff.
...too bad.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

My favourite rap artist is Scroobius Pip

He's a British rapper who sings about morals and philosophy. (I NO RITE)

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well I'm a fucking nerd, so my favorite Rapperists are "Duane and Brando" and "Captain Dan & The Scurvy Crew"

Video game and pirate rap. All I need really

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

...too bad.
Oh god he listens to ONE PARTICULAR TYPE OF MUSIC, and even though he clearly stated he listens to other types, I MUST FREAK THE FUCK OUT OVER THE FACT THAT HE LISTENS TO MAINSTREAM RAP

No srsly, everyone is into something different. Don't ignore, hurt, or be particularly angry at someone just because they listen to a fucking music genre. That's like hating a guy for liking chocolate cake, or being particularly mean to someone because they enjoy DANCING.

Is there truly NOTHING you can recommend to him, just because he listens to rap? It's not like that's the only thing he listed in the original post.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Feck... Lol at this post. Kinda heavy on the otaku stuff but you guys already stole the other ones I might have mentioned. :mad:

I do like these threads. Always good for adding something new to the playlists/car CD collection no matter how many times they come up. The majority of my stuff is made up of rock, prog-rock, various electronic, and classic(ish), but I'm always looking for other interesting bits to add too.

Right now I happen to be listening to this...

Found it just now simply looking for Homeworld vids, but quite like the music too. Might just look up more Muse.

For game OSTs, despite never playing any of the games I've always liked the Guilty Gear sound track. Before I knew the prog-rock genre I used to refer to this and similar stuff as "epic rock". Term still fits.
(Hmm, the sound quality of these vids is rather bad, but hopefully good enough for a taste.)

I've recently been listening to some rather unusual game OST albums, from Ar-Tonelico. Not played it either, only watched a bit whilst a friend was playing, but it's the JRPG famous for it's brilliantly unsubtle and utterly relentless innuendos. A video from it about, "gently inserting a crystal all the way" and such was posted here some time back. Not sure if it's the kind of stuff your looking for, but I'll post a bit anyway.

Sung in Hymnos an artificial language created for the game, designed specifically for singing.

And getting to the sub genre that makes up 80% of my music folder, I suppose I can vouch for the Touhou Project too. =)

Commence link spam. Click as many or little as you like. This list is actually something I put together elsewhere earlier, so is not necessarily aimed suggestions, but I'll just let you make what you want of it.
(Misc note. I'm friggin awful with genre names, and thus for most of these I've just agreed with the uploader, or else don't know any better if my assigned genres are a poor match. Also, you'll notice I get lazy further down.)

Jazz/Funk (Extend Ash ~ Hourai Victim)

Sexy Jazz (Night Falls ~ Evening Star)

Orchestral (Higan Retour ~ Riverside View)

Faux Acoustic (Necrofantasia)

Folk/Celtic (Corpse Voyage ~ Be of good cheer!)

Hindi Folk (Child of Are)

Gothic/Organ (Satori Maiden ~ 3rd eye )

Chill out Techno (Wonderful Heaven)

Vocal Techno (U.N. Owen was her?)

Techno/Trance (Merry Magician)

Eng(rish) Vocal Techno

Cowboy Western (Faith is for the Transient People)

Hardstyle/Jumpstyle (Broken Moon)

J-Rap (Mixed)

Happy/Jazzy (White Flag of Usa Shrine + Cinderella Cage ~ Kagome-Kagome)

Techno/Rock Vocal (Heian Alien)

I hate genre names (Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke)

Prog-rock () [One of my favourite artists! Godspeed!]

Touhou music for car nuts

### Here's a few that came up when I tried a short search to see what "Touhou House" was on offer.

House/Funk (Luna Dial)

Relaxed House? (Chinese Tea)

Ambient/Electronic (Extend Ash)

()

(Rock/Metal)

### Here's some other groovy ones.

Bad Apple

End of Daylight

Wheel, Syrufit

Radiant Radiant Symphony

And since you mentioned rap, I'll add a remix from Viotix. Not quite my thing, but if anyone's ever wanted to hear a Touhou x Beastie Boys mix...

Yep, it exists.

Last edited:

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Oh god he listens to ONE PARTICULAR TYPE OF MUSIC, and even though he clearly stated he listens to other types, I MUST FREAK THE FUCK OUT OVER THE FACT THAT HE LISTENS TO MAINSTREAM RAP

No srsly, everyone is into something different. Don't ignore, hurt, or be particularly angry at someone just because they listen to a fucking music genre. That's like hating a guy for liking chocolate cake, or being particularly mean to someone because they enjoy DANCING.

Is there truly NOTHING you can recommend to him, just because he listens to rap? It's not like that's the only thing he listed in the original post.
I didn't freak out. And I'm supposed to act like a jerk every now and then, it's in the contract. Also, none of the original post indicates that he likes any of the music I do(except rock, but that's very generic and he did specifically mention Beatles).

OP
Serpentar

Serpentar

Lurker
Reputation score

Wow, thanks for the suggestions and links. Definately got quite a bit of listening to do, much appreciated for all the help.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Forgot to say, if your interested in any of the stuff in the previous post, I either have the albums of a lot of that, or know how to get it easily. No need to settle for Youtube rip quality.

Also, thought of another. A friend recently showed me the band Power Glove, who do covers and rearranges of game music. They have some very cool stuff.

One more album I've been liking a lot lately is Ciel, by Cool+Cat / Tomoya.

I found this one track on youtube and had to have the rest. It's both relaxed but energetic music. Listening to this whilst driving down some scenic country back roads just painted the world awesome.

Darkboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Look for remixs of video game music done by MazeDude
Also look for some stuff done by MModule.

Stereophonics 'Mr.Writer' (song stops at 4:30)

The blacklight poster boys 'If the animals could talk'

Simon & Garfunkel 'Scarborough fair'

Rob Zombie 'Dragula'

Pendulum 'Propane Nightmares' My personal favorite!

Jumbo 'Dia'

Home Cookin' 'Soul Space Express' (Starts at 4:58)

Hope you enjoy some of it! Also hope I'm not just repeating shit you know about.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sometimes I like something classic and metal, but at the same time happy and peppy.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

20th Century by John Sykes is an awesome hard rock album. 76:14 by Global Communication is a really good ambient electronica album as well if you're into that kind of thing.

For a video game OST, I would suggest Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

I would suggest more but the thread looks cluttered enough as is... @___@;

Lurker
Reputation score

A site similar to the other two I found:

Again, you can pick the tone and mood, but this also lets you pick the genre and style. Seems to be in no way connected to popular music, so if you're one of those hipster kids that can only feel good about music no one's ever heard about, this'll have you covered.

Last edited:

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

If you like the older game music as well as more modern music, I suggest checking out VikingGuitar, which seems to be a side-project of a guy in another band called Eye of I or some such. Mainly covers of video game music, though I havn't listened to them all, mainly just Power Crunch (from Stinkoman 20x6) and Charge Shot (from Megaman X2).

Site's here, with download links available as well: