What's new

Truly scary moments in gaming

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score
Re: Truly scary moments in gaming

Scary moments in gaming?.. Oh lord, where to start..

Most of my scary moments usually fall into one of two categories..

1. A game-breaking glitch causing something legitimately horrifying to happen
2. The game unintentionally becoming self-aware, when it wasn't supposed to.

Let's see.. Not counting any of the times that I was "intentionally" glitching a game.

Kerbal Space Program----------------

This was my first official interaction with "The Kraken", a legendary myth in this game.

It was a routine launch.. All I had to do was fly to a location, and then land.. It didn't matter if I died in the crash, landed fine, so long as I got to location, everything was okay. I got in my jet plate, took off, and flew to the point. So far so uneventful, but as I finished getting to the location, I was over the ocean, and was too lazy to fly back to land, so, being the planner that I was, I'd built parachutes into my plane to use, in case I wanted to make a vertical landing. I activated the parachutes, killed the engine, and sat back, relaxing as I watched my craft slowly drift down to the ocean.

And then, for just a split second, I felt just a tiny fraction of the kraken's power...

The screen momentarily went black, the altimeter and the nav-ball went ape-shit, and I heard a sound that I can only explain as a distant gunshot being near-infinitely reverberated through an extremely long tunnel. Then, reality snapped back together, and only the cockpit was now present, flying over the ocean as if I'd never landed. Thankfully it was strong enough to re-enter the ocean without breaking at that speed.. But before I was about to call the mission a success and go home, I noticed a few achievement markers in the corner. Apparently jeb, the pilot, had flew out of the gravitational influence of the planet, AND orbited the sun!.. Yet he was right here, in the cockpit, quietly floating in the ocean. I switched to the space view, and noticed debree from the aircraft had indeed somehow teleported off the planet, now going over literally x10 the speed of light, heading out into deep space. The data on the debree said it had "splashed down at the sun".. Firstly, you can only "splash down" in water, and secondly, that essentially meant it had landed/crashed, yet here it was traveling through space at physically impossible speeds.

It might not sound very scary, but if you take the game seriously enough, and know the forces at work well enough to possibly fathom them in real life, something like that happening can cause a severe chill down your spine.

I've got plenty more scary stories, but I'll save those for a later time.
Holy shit.
That's a physics major's nightmare right there.

OP
super_slicer

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Truly scary moments in gaming

Debris, does the game spell it differently?

While no you cannot technically splash down in anything except the sea (seriously this is the MOST precise definition I've ever found), the kerbals are dumb as rocks so? Most people would assume that you could do so in any liquid and (wrongly, I imagine) that at some depth the sun's plasma density would be great enough to consider it liquid.

What probably happened was the game suffered a crash but managed to recover, however it loaded up your currently controlled craft and the sun before anything else, then attempted to make up for the missing time and well...