What's new

ANNOUNCEMENT: SOPA, PIPA, MEGAUPLOAD, AND THE FUTURE OF THE FORUMS

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: SOPA, PIPA, MEGAUPLOAD, AND THE FUTURE OF THE FORUMS

On a funny note, I do wonder how americans will defend the statement that America is the greatest country in the world after this.

While I was laughing before whenever americans mentioned freedom in that situation, after this I might just explode with laughter.

Freedom, HAH

Malefique

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

It's not like everyone "loved" America even before this ... xD
So they have a group of incompetent politicians and more than half the population is consisted of brain-washed slobs ... It's not the only country in that situation ... America just has those legendary "cojones", and is the one to DO something without actually thinking about it too much ...

"Something" ... that's the keyword here ...

Twisted

Mega Ultimate Jungle Girl 2000 Redux Z
Reputation score

The US can't just fine people like that. There needs to be proof of infringement presented before a court before damages can be awarded. I don't know how much the DoJ would even consider pursuing that route, since that would outright destroy their credibility with the people, and large scale protests aren't good for them.
They can't isolate individuals through IP addresses either; I said this on another forum; but if they went after people and arrested them, they'd be investigating my grandparents for tentacle rape I downloaded while at their house

On a funny note, I do wonder how americans will defend the statement that America is the greatest country in the world after this.

While I was laughing before whenever americans mentioned freedom in that situation, after this I might just explode with laughter.

Freedom, HAH
Fuck off, you're worse than the people you're describing.
Enjoy your neg rep

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Fuck off, you're worse than the people you're describing.
Enjoy your neg rep
Yes, your own behaviour is perfectly admirable.

Don't act like a prick when trying to admonish someone, though I suppose I should thank you for an accurate demonstration of utter stupidity.

Still, thanks for the laughs, it's funny how you're able to call me worse than the people I'm describing but fail to see your behaviour is worse than the behaviour you're criticising. Oh the hilarious irony, well I'm glad I got at least some laughter out of this tragic affair.

Twisted

Mega Ultimate Jungle Girl 2000 Redux Z
Reputation score

Yes, your own behaviour is perfectly admirable.

Don't act like a prick when trying to admonish someone, though I suppose I should thank you for an accurate demonstration of utter stupidity.

Still, thanks for the laughs, it's funny how you're able to call me worse than the people I'm describing but fail to see your behaviour is worse than the behaviour you're criticising. Oh the hilarious irony, well I'm glad I got at least some laughter out of this tragic affair.
Yes, continue to shit the thread up.
Fuck offAnd yes, I realize I'm doing the same

qinlongfei

Demon Girl
Reputation score

The funny thing is I used to think only China harmonize (censor) website, and all of sudden U.S. government decided to do more then harmonization.

Reminds me of that episode of Family Guy when censorship went out of control, oh well, at least in that episode the U.S. government didn't take White House down for looking like a boob.

CT1284

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Wow, filesharing sites are dropping like flies. :eek: I'm sure the gov knew this would happen when they took down Megaupload >.>

Getting old CG Packs and Hentai dls is getting really hard now >.<

Comrade

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Hate the government that does this, not the country or people. You're not going to find many Americans proud that this bullshit is happening.

Also, it's pretty surreal when the reliable fileshare sites still standing are Chinese.

blackraven1425

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Also, it's pretty surreal when the reliable fileshare sites still standing are Chinese.
Not really. The Chinese are long known to ignore copyright, and have never AFAIK signed a treaty to acknowledge foreign copyrights. For their sites to still be up and running makes complete sense when you consider the cultural context.

Comrade

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Not really. The Chinese are long known to ignore copyright, and have never AFAIK signed a treaty to acknowledge foreign copyrights. For their sites to still be up and running makes complete sense when you consider the cultural context.
I mean it's surreal that the Chinese fileshare sites (which get scorned by the government for being so riddled with piracy) are ironically still standing while most of the mainstream Western fileshare sites are shut down.

Sojourner

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Oh, the headache.

I know I already voiced my opinion on this on the first page, but let me add that We the People of the United States of America are a very interesting bunch. First of all, our Government was created to serve the People, US citizens,[/snip]
If you read the Constitution a little more carefully, the Government was created to only serve White, male land-owners. Women and people of non-European descent had few to no rights, even with the addition of the first ten Amendments.

However, were that true, we wouldn't have a failing education system (which is, I might add, the backbone of our future as a country and a World Power, unless they plan on having our country run in the future by only the people that can afford private schooling. Hmm...). After all, there are no better people to control than ignorant people. If people were educated as to how to properly control their governing body then The government would lose their power.
Yup. Amazing how the level of education is diminishing for the general populace, while those that can afford private schools go on to college. News is presented at a sixth grade level or lower, and the masses are kept distracted from important things with tales of a bunch of morons from New Jersey or bored housewives.

Thing is, despite what megaupload personnel did in their private time, megaupload as a corporation broke no laws. In leaving copyrighted documents on their file sharing services they broke no laws as the owners of said files (the people that legitimately owned them) should still be able to access the products they own.

[snip]

Make no mistake, it's likely that the people that were arrested are no saints, but that doesn't mean megaupload as a company is criminal nor does it excuse the downright criminal methods used during these proceedings.
Isn't it amazing, though? The owners/operators of MU committed several crimes, and the company was shut down and seized. Yet all of these giant investment firms, banks, and other companies with felonious practices (Enron, Goldman-Sachs, etc.) were left untouched. The cigarette industry and various manufacturers have been found guilty of misleading and/or intentionally poisoning the public, yet all that happened was to hit them with a fine less than one quarter's net profits. Those companies are all still in business, posting ridiculous profits quarter after quarter.

How far are you willing to let your government go? Is america truly the police-state its acting like it is? Are you okay with that?

Just like you rallied against SOPA, it's past time you rallied against your own government breaking hundreds of international laws casually (heck, I barely mentioned the tip of the iceberg) and going directly against your own constitution without any sort of valid excuse.
Here's the problem with "rallying against our government:" we no longer get a say in who is elected. The American population has never elected a President, anyway (Electoral College). But why do we no longer have a say? Some of the voting machines are rigged. There's a movie called "Stealing America" you should watch. A woman who was upset with the outcome of the 2000 Presidential Election wanted to find out if tampering may have been involved. I mean, given that one county in Florida reported a number of votes for Al Gore that was around negative 16,000, you'd think an investigation would have been launched. Nope. And then we were under Cheney/Bush for eight years. The movie brings to light the facts that A) voting machines are controlled by private organizations that have NO oversight, and B) tampering with the machines is simple and untraceable.

blackraven1425

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I mean it's surreal that the Chinese fileshare sites (which get scorned by the government for being so riddled with piracy) are ironically still standing while most of the mainstream Western fileshare sites are shut down.
The Western ones are the ones that the West can get rid of. The Chinese ones are protected by a government that doesn't care about copyright whatsoever.

aasa

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Acta seems to be another bullshit thing, and it has been going for longer, I dont know much detail about it, so i'll say that you can inform yourseleves by google
sorry not so good at english

TwilitFeather

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Well it seems like the 2012 prophecy is off to an unfortunate start. Month one and we have the internet getting punched in the gut. A match has been struck and I'm glad I'm not close to where the fuse is headed. I just hope the boom is stopped or contained. Preferably stopped. '^' Also I'm American and I stay as far away from politics and government as I can. Far too much corruption and money. There is even a saying of calling a situation "It's all to political" when money and unfairness is involved. From all this I'm somewhat wondering how much greener the grass may be elsewhere and if the grass I'm on will rebloom or continue to wilt. Either way I'm stuck here for anyway.

To be directly on topic both bills were shot down correct?

Last edited:

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

SOPA and PIPA have been shelved - they're not dead, but they're not coming back worded as they were.

Vinceras

Formerly Havokor
Reputation score

According to what I've read, the entire legislation was blown up. Even the original backers of the bills turned tail and ran after the mass messaging, protesting and also the fine work of Team Anonymous to make the government's lives hell for a couple months.

Just been shelved though...it'll be pushed through somehow, sometime.

Being an American, I can't help but be ashamed at where our government is heading. We're spending billions annually on weapons, welfare for lazy people and non-citizens and insane salaries for politicians. We're cutting spending every time we get a chance in education. We're trying to push through unconstitutional legislation and voting is become a pointless act with how everything is rigged.

Sadly, even if I were tired enough of this country to want to move, legislation will probably be passed to where I'll be prosecuted in America for wearing a green shirt in Japan...or whatever ridiculousness you can think of.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

No point feeling bad about your government specifically, it's this bad about everywhere else (heck, just look at all the countries that blindly co-operated with this megaupload sham)

In fact, this entire scenario pretty much mirrors what happened a couple years back with the European constitution where after being shut down on the first draft they tried to keep the next attempt hidden and push it without people noticing.

I guess my point is, politics in our capitalist society function like a business, you get ahead of the competition by cutting corners and breaking rules.

Ragnarok

Reputation score

I just checked Filesonic and they ''went down'' too...Meaning you can't download anything unless you yourself uploaded it. This SOPA/PIPA crap is serious. I am sure many more will follow unless we do something. I signed on a google page to protest against it.We already have that digital law thing about copyrights which has worked fine, and this legislation hasn't even been passed like someone said here. It's a shame that our very freedom of sharing and contributing is in danger thanks to the great interests that thumb down the little guy, and try to silence us but we can't stop. I say all this in the sincerity that the Internet is a world of freedom, it stands on the very values that a democracy should defend, nay, to which a democracy owes it's existence. I hope we can stop this new monster and threat...

Reactions: Roy

Randomnone

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

just found out about a new bill they are trying to pass, called ACTA. still doing the research but here's a post on the anime-sharing site

on a side note if any of this shit comes to be, would it mean the rebirth of bbs and the like? i ask because cant help see thing looking like a cross between mirrors edge, hackers, half life 2 and few other things but i digress (bad wit is bad)

blackraven1425

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

just found out about a new bill they are trying to pass, called ACTA. still doing the research but here's a post on the anime-sharing site

on a side note if any of this shit comes to be, would it mean the rebirth of bbs and the like? i ask because cant help see thing looking like a cross between mirrors edge, hackers, half life 2 and few other things but i digress (bad wit is bad)
ACTA is a treaty, not a bill. The US constitution has a provision wherein if a treaty is signed with a foreign country, the congress must enact legislation in order to be in compliance with the treaty (this is only actually the case in about /16th of all treaties signed, though), so this provision is sometimes used to pass otherwise-controversial laws. Make it a treaty, sign without the public knowing, then go "Well, we have no choice but to sign now!". ACTA has been around a while, with drafts continually being circulated for the past couple years in closed-door meetings, and was already signed in October by a number of countries.

Copy of the treaty:

Convenient Wikipedia article:

In an interesting aside about MU, there may be another reason this action was taken now, as well.