What's new

Lossless hentai

finale00

Tentacle God
Reputation score
For those that store image collections, do you care whether they are lossless or not? (given that the original product came with lossless images)
The usual argument for distributing jpg's over png's is that jpg's take much less space and there is no "noticeable" loss in quality. Sure, maybe if you're only going to look at them.

I wouldn't mind keeping them in bmp's if they weren't such space hoggers, so I usually convert them to png's.

However, I would never use jpg or some other lossy format. If I'm going to lose information during conversion, I usually just keep them in their original format (eg: animated gale files vs gif)

Last edited:

manty5

Banned
Reputation score
Re: Lossless hentai

It really depends on how much loss we're talking about. When you create a jpg, you can control how much loss you're willing to accept. You could even choose 0, and it will still be a compressed jpg, just not as small as it could be.

So it completely depends on the quality of the resulting image, not some extension that doesn't tell us much at all.

blackraven1425

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

However, I would never use jpg or some other lossy format. If I'm going to lose information during conversion, I usually just keep them in their original format (eg: animated gale files vs gif)
Keep all your digital photos in their native RAW, and see how much you end up spending on hard drives in a year...

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Keep all your digital photos in their native RAW, and see how much you end up spending on hard drives in a year...
Because he would be taking photos of Hentai. Yes. This makes stunning degrees of sense.

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

Because he would be taking photos of Hentai. Yes. This makes stunning degrees of sense.
whats wrong with tha... wait its weird i don't do that....

BlueShinobi

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

You could think of a png as an unspoiled, virgin picture. Whereas a jpeg has been defiled and robbed of it's purity.
So while you may not want to download jpegs, perhaps you would like to make your own.

OP
F

finale00

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It really depends on how much loss we're talking about. When you create a jpg, you can control how much loss you're willing to accept. You could even choose 0, and it will still be a compressed jpg, just not as small as it could be.

So it completely depends on the quality of the resulting image, not some extension that doesn't tell us much at all.
Yes but usually the point of converting to jpg's in the first place is to cut the size down considerably. And if going from no loss to some loss results in a 75% file reduction, they would likely choose lossy.

Don't remember how well lossless jpg compares to png, but I think a couple times I had been experimenting with some bmp CG's and the lossless jpg's ended up being larger than the png's.

I mean sure, if you're just looking at it, and that drop in quality is not noticeable, then the size you saved in the end would be great, but nowadays despite all the shit going on, storage is pretty high and relatively inexpensive. If a decent game goes and takes up 10 gigs, a couple extra megs shouldn't be an issue.