What's new

ACT [azurezero] deepground lab - metroidvania (now on kimochi for 7usd) RE154018 RJ154018

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I couldn't buy it, told me there was a problem with the merchants pay pal account.
it couldnt have come at a worse time too, someone finally reported me so i've spent the last half an hour taking down all my paypal links

way to kill a new release, and theyd only seen the blog links, (they didnt know about my tumblr) but they made me sign a thing saying they can just close my account next time so i've had no choice...

heres the dlsite page...

this has really taking the wind out of my sails though... way to kick a guy when he's down

you can't buy it through paypal (product page still here)

or

I started making this game 3 days ago, it was originally gonna be a more linear platformer but before i knew it there were mechanics that wouldn't fit in a linear game, so i figured i may as well roll with it.

LINK IS UPDATED 09/05/2015

I don't have any simple way of getting screencaps until i reinstall gyazo.
there's no cg in the game yet but currently 4 h animations.

Controls

X to jump
C to fire
arrow keys to move

Q to load

just got the first boss made tonight (2am-9am 17/04)

please try it :3

YOU NEED TO RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR IF YOURE GETTING AN ERROR ON SAVING

I'm not sure i want to do something like pre-orders , so i have to ask you people if you'd want to pre-order this game at 5usd compared to 7+ dollars on release...

DO LET ME KNOW if that's acceptable or not cause its a big risk either way

to be clear, im asking if youd be okay with me offering pre-orders, not if you yourself would pre-order (COMMENT YOUR VOTE PLEASE)

Last edited by a moderator:

TRU8Archangel

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: deepground lab - metroidvania(wip)

Not too bad. I see a lot of potential. Took a little bit to get used to the ledge jumping but overall the game is fun. Looking forward to all the h animations you have planned! :)

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Not too bad. I see a lot of potential. Took a little bit to get used to the ledge jumping but overall the game is fun. Looking forward to all the h animations you have planned! :)
ha, planned... :3

you're free to make suggestions, the problem is finding an ai pattern that works with the gameplay

Last edited:
OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Dont forget i have a btw, everyone signed on the month of release (and sometimes the month after) get unlocks for each game i make

I've started work on the second area, if i can call the demo the first area.
ideally i'd like the game to be about 5 areas, if i make it too big then it might be hard for people to find their way around and i have no idea how to code an actual metroidvania map... i hope people wont hold it against me

I tried to sprite a foxgirl enemy today but the running on all fours proved too difficult for me, i would like to get some transformation gor in there though.

so far ive sold 26 copies of my other game (link) I'm hoping that picks up though, i have 15 weeks left to make the £1275 i need to pay off my overdraft before it starts building interest (august). I'll probably manage it as long as i keep getting commissions. but it is a little worrying, i really need sales to pick up.

for the first time i was deprived of a good idea because the games hentai, my ideas would've made the plot of this game pretty great but it would also mean the last boss wouldn't have any loss animation as they'd have just killed you instead, and that i cant be doing with.
either way i noted it down in case i make a non h version.

also, i turn 25 on the 24th... so there's that...

I'd really appreciate feedback and comments, cause it really feels like people dont care when only a few communicate with me

CrazyPerson

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Trying the demo - mechanics and design seem solid, unfortunately I'm running into massive input lag issues on my machine.
In a nutshell, sometimes I press jump and a jump happens immediately, sometimes I press jump and the jump happens five seconds later.
Throughout, animation and game happens smoothly, it's just that keyboard inputs don't come in reliably half the time.

Are you perhaps draining the event queue one at a time on each animation frame?
I'm seeing this particularly after holding down an arrow key for some time -
I wonder, perhaps the OS is creating key repeat events, and those hit the queue faster than fps on my crappy machine?
Unfortunately, that means I can't make it past the second screen, as inputs keep cutting out halfway through the jumps...

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Trying the demo - mechanics and design seem solid, unfortunately I'm running into massive input lag issues on my machine.
In a nutshell, sometimes I press jump and a jump happens immediately, sometimes I press jump and the jump happens five seconds later.
Throughout, animation and game happens smoothly, it's just that keyboard inputs don't come in reliably half the time.

Are you perhaps draining the event queue one at a time on each animation frame?
I'm seeing this particularly after holding down an arrow key for some time -
I wonder, perhaps the OS is creating key repeat events, and those hit the queue faster than fps on my crappy machine?
Unfortunately, that means I can't make it past the second screen, as inputs keep cutting out halfway through the jumps...
im using windows 8 here, and i had input problems on my last game but that was only with the mouse... i dont know what you meant by event queue as thats all handled by game maker sorry... I'll try changing the left and right event to the step event to see if that helps (the jumping is already done by step event)

here, try this one if its no better i don't know whats wrong

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Interesting - that build works a lot better.
There's still some occasional lag every once in a while, but nothing game-breaking.

There is one weird thing, collision seems to be slightly off -
when the MC runs into a wall to her left, she sometimes gets stuck and needs to jump above the wall to move -
perhaps some rounding error where the game now thinks I'm inside the wall rather than just next to it.

Other than that, things seem to be working just fine, though.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Interesting - that build works a lot better.
There's still some occasional lag every once in a while, but nothing game-breaking.

There is one weird thing, collision seems to be slightly off -
when the MC runs into a wall to her left, she sometimes gets stuck and needs to jump above the wall to move -
perhaps some rounding error where the game now thinks I'm inside the wall rather than just next to it.

Other than that, things seem to be working just fine, though.
that seems to be a result of a minus where there should be a plus

it'll be fixed in the next upload (i already did it but i'll see if theres anything else first)
ive removed the test worm too,

Last edited:
OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

does this version fix that issue?

CrazyPerson

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Cool, now chimney-jumping works and I can get to the rest of the demo.
Neat stuff! This is certainly a good improvement over some of the older games.

Remaining bugs I noticed, all minor:
- Sometimes the bottom row of pixels in the "press Z to save/activate" texts gets cut off, making it look like "press 7 to save/activate". Jumping fixes it, perhaps a rounding error in vertical alignment?
- The intro doesn't do a good job introducing C as shoot, particularly since you don't actually need it to pass until much later
- The invisible-walls level feels perhaps a bit unfair - I wonder if it would be enough to make blocks appear after shooting them, though I guess the pattern isn't that hard once you found it.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Cool, now chimney-jumping works and I can get to the rest of the demo.
Neat stuff! This is certainly a good improvement over some of the older games.

Remaining bugs I noticed, all minor:
- Sometimes the bottom row of pixels in the "press Z to save/activate" texts gets cut off, making it look like "press 7 to save/activate". Jumping fixes it, perhaps a rounding error in vertical alignment?
- The intro doesn't do a good job introducing C as shoot, particularly since you don't actually need it to pass until much later
- The invisible-walls level feels perhaps a bit unfair - I wonder if it would be enough to make blocks appear after shooting them, though I guess the pattern isn't that hard once you found it.
theyre not deliberately invisible, i just forgot to tile them after making my normal block invisible (for the new area with fuzzy edges on the tiles)
ive tiled it now but i havent gotten round to uploading another version yet. maybe i should include one of those destructable walls in the first room for the C to shoot, but i dunno yet

hmm... food for thought anyway, thanks for your feedback as always

:3 rooms been tiled now :3
forgot to ask what do people think of the shot charge system? i figured it was better to let you fire faster in repetition but need to wait to shoot again

Last edited:
OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

also, would people prefer i do game over cg for this or is all sprites better?

cybeast

Lurker
Reputation score

also, would people prefer i do game over cg for this or is all sprites better?
I prefer all sprites :D

Also, are we unable to shoot the slime girl? Everytime the bullet went near her, she just jump and jump.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I prefer all sprites :D

Also, are we unable to shoot the slime girl? Everytime the bullet went near her, she just jump and jump.
hint on how to kill them: she always jumps when one gets close, ALWAYS...
also is that high dog breeder, akane in your avatar? i'm currently running amaterasu legion :3

cybeast

Lurker
Reputation score

hint on how to kill them: she always jumps when one gets close, ALWAYS...
also is that high dog breeder, akane in your avatar? i'm currently running amaterasu legion :3
Okay :3

Yes, yes she is :D surprised someone here plays VG too :3

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Okay :3

Yes, yes she is :D surprised someone here plays VG too :3
its quite a popular game and our locals are responsible for the uk release pretty much (they became the distributor for the first crates basically)

sgtbilco

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Nice work so far. Couple of things:

1. Jumping SFX are painful to the ears. In fact I'd leave out most audio until you're closer to a release.
  2. Protagonist sprite is very low res. I realize this is probably ALL placeholder art but I caught myself squinting at the screen during the H scene with the tentacles to decipher what was happening.

Beyond that, the basics are in place.. pretty good.

cybeast

Lurker
Reputation score

its quite a popular game and our locals are responsible for the uk release pretty much (they became the distributor for the first crates basically)
That's good to hear! :D

Regarding the game, is the destroy-able block when you step on it is supposed to be trap or something to advance in the game? o3o

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Nice work so far. Couple of things:

1. Jumping SFX are painful to the ears. In fact I'd leave out most audio until you're closer to a release.
  2. Protagonist sprite is very low res. I realize this is probably ALL placeholder art but I caught myself squinting at the screen during the H scene with the tentacles to decipher what was happening.

Beyond that, the basics are in place.. pretty good.
No sorry, I'm just not a very good spriter, kurovadis sprites were actually smaller than this, but kyrie has way more experience at doing it than me.
i.e these are the real sprites
i can turn the sfx down though

That's good to hear! :D

Regarding the game, is the destroy-able block when you step on it is supposed to be trap or something to advance in the game? o3o
in case they didn't find out some blocks explode, i set a dead end with one to go further, though i dont really know what im doing with them yet, it felt like a possible good way of hiding secrets

Last edited:
OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

current version has the sfx tweaked, and the addition of the generic sprite game over. i still might make cg for this game but its looking pretty nice with sprites imo...

other than that there hasnt been many changes, though the world has got bigger outside the scope of the demo

i wish i could afford to sell this at the same price as kurovadis, because i'm really counting on its success but i really cant afford to do something like that unless its some kind of pre-order price...

I'm not sure i want to do something like pre-orders though, so i have to ask you people if you'd want to pre-order this game at 5usd compared to 7+ dollars on release...

DO LET ME KNOW if that's acceptable or not cause its a big risk either way

to be clear, im asking if youd be okay with me offering pre-orders, not if you yourself would pre-order

Last edited: