What's new

[Vosmug] Ghost Hunter Vena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Games Dude

Lurker
Reputation score
No I mean in the actual boss area, I'm just hoving about dodging stuff and can't attack her
Oh press X to swipe with hand, you just have to time it so you swipe during her beam attack.

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score
So is there a lack of H content in this game when compared to Xenotake?

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
I also find this game disappointing. Compared to Xenotake, it was consistently atmospheric in the same way, but the raw gameplay is a lot more fun - you have to do more than just spam X when facing in the direction of the enemy. The enemies' attack patterns and properties made for some challenging gameplay, but you'd encounter 2 different enemy types at the same time at most. While the map is more open and less-linear than XT, you still progress through plot, power and unlock different parts of the map in a linear fashion. Due to the map-screen its self more than anything (Shows only one floor at a time from an initially confusing perspective), navigating between objectives once a lot of the map had been unlocked did result in some frustration and tedium.

The health mechanics are kinda broken, it can kinda be compared to Halo, but it doesn't really work in this context. You have 3 hitpoints which regenerate, and a buffer above that. The buffer is reduced by being hit by enemy attacks, being raped, or magicking your clothes back into existence, and recharged by collecting orbs. But that same bar is also reduced when an enemy grabs you while clothed, and clothes break when the bar reaches zero. So by being clothed, you are making yourself open to grabs you will take damage from from the moment it connects to when you struggle free. When fighting nude you can just parry them and it barely slows you down. This undermined the gameplay, because once again you were practically invincible, just with more steps and a slightly higher chance of failure compared to XT.

The hentai mechanics too are kinda nonsensical. With the exception of one or two, if the enemy succeeds in initiating an H-attack you will take a hit to your HP if your buffer bar is empty, but it's incredibly easy to struggle free, regardless of state or enemy involved. What makes this even more frustrating is that there are variations on the animations where the MC is coming to orgasm, but these only ever see the light of day if you stop the struggle from ending - which happens in .5 seconds if you leave it and maybe a second if you mash arrows. And you can keep those animations going for as long as you like, so long as you keep hitting X nothing but a change in animation will happen.

There are two other mechanics - the orb eater and the ectoplasm rooms - which are established and then utilised twice, and never again. You can't even masturbate except in those specific sequences. You can't access those rooms again because again, they're part of a scripted sequence rather than a gameplay system.

Those excepted enemies simply continue their animations until you break free, there's no finishing animation for them. The hands are one of them, and they are the most common enemy in the game.
I also thought there were too many non-H enemies. Between the four (and boss), I'd have rather had the effort spent on one more enemy with lewds. The boss being non-H was especially frustrating - I was under the impression that the Astral Realm was going to be its own map, and we'd have to fight our way to the boss, then pull her back to the "real" world and fight her there.
The absence of a proper gallery is also disappointing. In its current form it is just sprites (Played at the same framerate even for two-frame anims), and while it's nice to be able to see those, it's not as good as XT's gallery which was its own map and had scenes play out as they did in gameplay.

The amount of H-content is alright. I liked the enemies' designs, the variety between them, but none of their animations were particularly interesting compared to XT, I enjoyed its content a lot more. Everyone has fluorescent nipples in GHV.

The plot is neither here nor there. An interesting premise and a good way to justify the game's nature, the characters' interactions are interesting, but a lot of it did feel out of place, too tonally inconsistent, and overall the cutscenes I felt were too long.

Last edited:

Raiellyn

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Man, what a complicated reaction to this game I've had. I mean, I love it just like I love Xenotake- don't really know why, but something about how Vosmug writes his games just ticks some box in the back of my mind. Miss Sui and her ghost hunting rival are WOEFULLY underused in scenes, but I almost feel like that's less of a direct complaint than it is a sign that I was so excited to see them get into all sorts of sticky situations. It's the same thing with the Captain and Malla from Xenotake, who I really wanted to see more of than Eerien herself. Though if I did have one actual complaint about the game's story, I feel like Vena's two friends were a bit of a waste. They barely got any action, and I can't really say that I'm disappointed about it because they just didn't leave much of an impression.

Of course, there were a few missed points here or there that left me feeling a bit disappointed. With so much of the build-up, I thought that the two ghost hunting thugs would really have more scenes, but for all of their talk about planning to betray their boss, they just get the one scene with Miss Sui and the blonde friend before being unceremoniously killed off. I guess we're supposed to assume that the two ghosts double-teaming Sui's rival near the end are their spirits, but I would've much preferred to see them actually turn on her. They weren't exactly the most interesting antagonists, but in a game that spends so much time dealing with faceless ghosts with no personality to express, I feel like it was a waste to get rid of those guys so early like that when they could've served as a much more present, interactive threat to Vena's group. And not really related to that point, but the whole ending sequence also just felt a bit lacking to me. Exposition is fine, but there was just sooooooo much being explained at the last minute, and then you just get a brief slideshow of the girls honoring their silly bet. =/

Now, on a much less glowing note... I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay. The combat is fine, I suppose, but feels a little too demanding for how aggressive the ghosts can be. Unless you get lucky with them floating in the other direction before they decide to initiate an attack, you're left with almost no time to actually react- made that much worse by their obsession with constantly trying to cross from side-to-side. So many times, I'd be trying to move Vena away from a ghost so that I'd have some buffer room to stun them, but they'd just follow right on top of me and then attack from like an inch away. Also, the map is a complete nightmare, and I feel like about 40% of the time, the game just didn't give me enough of an indication of where I needed to be going. It works fine when the game is pushing you to progress forward, but every time it decides to send you back to somewhere you've already been, I had to spend about fifteen minutes going up and down each floor until I found the magic combination that would lead me to the right section of the map.

And the gallery is... hm. Not great, though I do appreciate the idea of it. Like being able to view every single character sprite in the game, and not just the sexy animations? That's a positive touch. But not having any sound is just baffling as a design choice, and the interface for cycling through every option feels like it is fighting me every step of the way. Oh, and it seems like most of the animations can only play so long before they just stop, at which point, you have to manually edit the speed option for it to start back up.

But I think out of EVERYTHING, my biggest gripe with the game is the sheer inaccessibility of the cutscenes after you've beaten the game. Sure, you can find most of the raw animations in the gallery... but if you want to see them with the accompanying dialog and context? You'll have to replay the whole game every single time. Heaven forbid that you want to revisit a scene close to the ending. Xenotake had a bit of the same problem here, but at least gave the option of skipping right to certain checkpoints in the story, so that if you wanted to see something again, it would only take five, maybe ten minutes tops to reach it so long as you could remember which checkpoint was closest. I guess that wouldn't really work here with how backtrack-y the game is; makes it a bit hard to break it down into clear "levels" you could quickly jump into. But man, I really hope that Vosmug adds an option to the gallery at some point for viewing the full scenes.

Damoriva

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Is there even any way to access the other character sprites? They're right there in the gallery, but apparently locked off by something.

Boxtie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I agree with complaints about the map.
Spent way too long trying to find stairs/ladders that don't lead to a dead end.
The least Vosmug could do is show exactly where those ladders, stairs or vertical spaces lead to.

One thing I'd personally like to see is more scenes of Vena (or her friends) tied up while still in clothes.
For some reason, I enjoy bondage more when the girl isn't completely naked (very specific fetish).

Raiellyn

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Is there even any way to access the other character sprites? They're right there in the gallery, but apparently locked off by something.
Scroll down to the character you want, and hit the right arrow key to toggle them on (or left, to toggle them back off). Then you can hit X to modify/switch/move their sprite. At least, I don't think you need to unlock them first. I just beat the game, and then when I checked out the gallery, everything was available.

Trombley

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Found all but two of the letters. Anyone know all their locations?

Nightera

Lurker
Reputation score
Anyone knows where to go after obtaining Projection power? I got Two white spirits blocking the way

Raiellyn

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Anyone knows where to go after obtaining Projection power? I got Two white spirits blocking the way
The weird dog-like thing that pushes you back behind the wall when it catches you, right? If I'm remembering right, there should've been a pillar next to the door just a little ways back from there with a red ghost hand on it that wouldn't attack you or anything before. Use the projection power to go through that, and kill the source.

kiko

aka the Asian rapper Kikkoman Flowsauce
Reputation score
Like someone else said, 95% gameplay and actual story (That's actually kind of interesting) and 5% hentai. The hentai is not even that bad. Kudos to Vosmug, this is some AAA quality game

And I urge you to buy it. Like cmon, 7$ isn't that much, and it supports the developer. He's been working for 3 years on it

Last edited:

Renmaru

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Paid 14 for it myself, Vosmug might take a while to release games but they are always quality and so far not disappointed with this one either.

I mean I certainly don't have any more minor gripes then I would with a AAA game + it has the hentai so bonus value. Woulda gone for the 20 option but had a bit of a hole in my wallet this past month =/

Lots of content in this one, can't wait to see what he comes up with next :D

Raiellyn

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I do want to improve the map but I’m not sure how, the most important thing I think would be to cycle through floors at any moment but I can’t think of a way that doesn’t disrupt the game too much, I can’t pause and I don’t want to use any extra buttons aside from the ones already in use, any ideas?

About the gallery, I’ll try the skip but an easier option would be a sequence player that brings you back to the menu once the particular sequence is over, I’ll see about that, the reason why I didn’t do the skip from the start is because it didn’t turn out so easy as I thought, also I’ll guess I’ll have a prison style gallery like xenotake, I wanted to do something different and I FAILED but hey that’s life, you will always fail no matter what you do, I don’t feel like putting the effort to “improve” the gallery already in the game, the prison seems like the better option to put effort into. This will take a while tho, probably will be ready with the DLsite version some weeks from now.

[...]

Thanks everyone, this is kind of a disaster tho. I haven’t even had the time to fix the demo, I’ll be doing fixes for the next couple of weeks or longer if necessary so feel free to let me know if you find new problems.

Man.. I really hope the reaction to this game doesn't burn him out of making another. :(

SoulBreaka

Cthulhu
Reputation score
i didnt say its a bad game. but its a really bad H game. but for a action puzzle 2d game its quite good. story its good he just need to fill the gaps. seriously its like in ppl who see old anime dragon ball. lets go to namek to get dragon balls. and suddenly nah by some miracle reason appeared a new ones here and you can use them now << like that was the story, it progressed really forced thats why many oportunities for H stuff got taken away. even the hand killing MC without telling her was also forced. she indeed was being corrupted but thats just too soon. so as a 2d platform game its very good and worth it. but for an Hgame its pretty lacking thats just what i say =3
Off topic but the reason why they got new dragon balls is because goku swipped dende from new namek and he became the new kami of earth. Hence why Earth got new dragon ballz

MegatronYES

Sex Demon
Reputation score
i found 15/16 notes. was there a 5th power after Projection? cause when i get to a save point and move over the fingers there's a "???" for upgrades but i already beat the game, so it apparently wasn't needed to progress if there was one.
the second note escapes me as well

Ericridge

Tentacle God
Reputation score
This makes me nervous about buying because there might be not any hentai with that blondie.

Stupidfast

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Stuck after beating the maid boss. Been wandering around but can't get back to the library. Big read eye is blocking my way, no idea how to use the eye the boss dropped and teh door to the bedroom is still locked. Think the blocking thing is glitched as it looks like the way down the library is behind it.

Maryel

Lurker
Reputation score
1 thing you need to know friend when there its a phantom wall blocking your way its 3 things either kill the ghost in the area , Try Jumping that maybe its a passeway up there in same room. OR you need to find other way with the lastest item you gotten wish in your case stupidfast << sorry said it complete since might be insulting XD you gotten a red stone from that boss and if you have some memory in your brain you could remember early in game a statue wish asked you 1 -_-. seriously for this kind of games having a good memory its needed since in reality map doesnt help much. map it be easier if it said where ladders takes you and zones were layered by letters n numbers =3

Soljer13

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
FUCK I FORGOT THIS GAME WAS COMING OUT AND I DIDNT SET 7 ASIDE FOR IT.

EDIT: oh thank goodness I managed to get someone to pass me 10 bucks. Okay so first boss, I honestly dont want to put the effort itno this. I should have grinded more before continueing past the level up totem thing. Can anyone provide me with an at the totem save thats over powered or anyone have any idea how to edit the save files OR anyone have a cheat engine file?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.