What's new

ACT Patreon Active [Mithos56] Sorceress's Tale

Mithos56

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: [Unreal Engine 4] Meridiana’s Magical Investigations - Stealth 3D Game

I do plan of having customizable controls, and especially would like this game to work well on a gamepad (damn casuals!)

@Stranger, if you aren't dropping slightly when the teleport hits, its either you aren't in stealth mode, or just plain bad luck.

The enemies will turn around from fairly far away if you run up to them, and if you are walking, they will still hear you, but not until you're very close.

Otherwise they are turning around randomly because they've picked a new patrol point behind you. This will be helped by them following a set patrol path, and I given the feedback here, I will probably increase the time they stay at one point before they pick a new one.

BackArcher

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I will probably increase the time they stay at one point before they pick a new one.
Don't do that! It won't be so ass-cracking and thus interesting to hunt and be hunted. Or make it customizable - like density of stealth mode would play the role of difficulty level.

thswherizat

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I'm having the same problem DarkExecutor had, which is sad because I really liked the previous versions of your game but now I can't play the latest one. I hope you find a fix for this soon!

Mithos56

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm having the same problem DarkExecutor had, which is sad because I really liked the previous versions of your game but now I can't play the latest one. I hope you find a fix for this soon!
I'm still looking into it. I'm not sure if it will help at all, but I did build out a 32 bit version that's available on the same post now.

DarkExecutor

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm still looking into it. I'm not sure if it will help at all, but I did build out a 32 bit version that's available on the same post now.
I tested 32bit version on my PC, too, and the problem remains the same. Also I launched 64bit version on vanilla Win 7 on my laptop and after installing UE4 Prerequisites there the error appeared to be the same one as on my PC. I suggest that it's worth to look for some way to roll back to previous Visual Studio/UE4 sub-version with an update before 3rd VS update. I hope that it's not really difficult, such "rollback" problems are common for fresh versions of game engines, I had the same situation with the update to Unity 5.3.4 and had to roll back the project to previously used version.

mgs2master2

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

this isnt working on my windows 10 laptop. 64bit here. it loads then crashes immediately

Hentai no Echii

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Windows 10 Laptop (Orginally Win 8), Working fine here. Maybe you need a runtime or something? Or some DirectX stuff?

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Glad this topic seems to be getting more frequent replies now :D

Pootis404

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Glad this topic seems to be getting more frequent replies now :D
If only to troubleshoot a demo's buggy executable :p.

I too am facing similar issues with it. I've tried both 32bit and 64bit versions, but after clicking the exe's nothing pops up at all. Plus, 2 of 4 of the duplicate processes it has in task manager can't be removed without resetting my computer (running Windows 7).

Mithos56

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm still looking into this and I'm sorry for the lack of replies.

So far from what I can see it appears to mostly be a problem with Unreal and Visual Studio, which has been pointed out. Unfortunately, downgrading is not an option as I use some features, and have some C++ classes from the latest version of the engine.

Hopefully this is something that can be corrected on Unreal's end soonish. Most of the current fixes involve the client end downloading and updating to the service packs and that kinda sucks as the only solution.In the meantime, I'll keep looking for a better solutions.

I also keep seeing comments that Avast is blocking Unreal engine 4 builds from loading, so if you use Avast that may be affecting you as well.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

...? C'mon, the service packs are free and if you can run win7 then you can run them too.

Granted, with the win 10 bullshit going on you're right to be careful but it's been a while since those packs came out, they're useful TBH, and you can find guides online on how to have them and still keep win 10 out.

Even if you're on a pirated version of Win7 you can still get the service packs, so what's up guys?

If you're running something older than Win7, I'm sorry but it's time to upgrade. I had to, I really didn't WANT to, but you can't expect people to keep adding support to their games for older OSes.

sgtbilco

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I'm still looking into this and I'm sorry for the lack of replies.
Professional advice: Don't. Just move on with development, don't let the low hanging fruit slow you down, you'll never get anything done. Chances are its unlikely an issue on your end anyway. Technical support isn't your job title at this stage, that can come later. This is barely what I would consider alpha, its unreasonable to expect a working build across all platforms.

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score

Technical support isn't your job title at this stage, that can come later. This is barely what I would consider alpha, its unreasonable to expect a working build across all platforms.
But a working build across all platforms would be in his interest, no? Checking if some technical blabble or even antivirus software is causing trouble for some folks kind of is part of the service - and if he doesn't try to fix it now, it might get worse as development progresses, and leave him with either fixing a lot of junk after the final release, or facing the fact that part of the programming/engine/whatever (I'm no game dev :p) is to blame, and therefore the game needs a big, troublesome amount of rework at some level.

Development is the main priority, I agree, but "customer service" and recognizing problems and errors are neither wrong, nor completely neglectable.

@Mithos: Good luck to you. For both fixing stuff, and developing stuff. :D

Last edited:

Pootis404

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I also keep seeing comments that Avast is blocking Unreal engine 4 builds from loading, so if you use Avast that may be affecting you as well.
Thanks for bringing that up, adjusting Avast settings seems to have fixed my loading issues. It was odd because I didn't get so much as an error message or warning message, it's just nothing happened when starting it up.

In the next build I'd recommend adding a sort of level reset if possible, so you don't have to resort to suicide or full game reset in order to spawn more enemies.

DarkExecutor

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Unfortunately, downgrading is not an option as I use some features, and have some C++ classes from the latest version of the engine.
It's a pity to hear this because it could be the most simple solution for this problem:( BTW, if you are not using version control system like Git, I'd like to advise you start using this stuff, even with only local repository (I use free Bitbucket private Git repository, for example), because it makes rolling back really quick, safe and easy, especially for such situations like this one.

Hopefully this is something that can be corrected on Unreal's end soonish.
Yeah, if I were you then I would just keep the record about this error, maybe submit some kind of ticket to UE4 support forum, I guess that you are not the only one with such problem and Epic will fix it in next update, I hope (if they track the desires of their community, of course). There is nothing that really could be made from developer side if VS SDK for builds couldn't be switched manually from UE4 and if rolling back is not an option, too. So please, just continue the development and keep track of the changes to UE4 updates, maybe they fix it themselves and you will not spend extra time on that stuff.

Even if you're on a pirated version of Win7 you can still get the service packs, so what's up guys?
Well, I wouldn't be so sure about that, because my both OSs are pirated and in order to make them work you have to turn off update center, which should be switched on when you're installing Service Packs, also installing Service Packs on existing Win7 (not from scratch) sometimes can trigger fatal errors, as far I read about it on the network, so it's not that easy as you say:)

Nuclear Reactor

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Err i'm not sure someone else addressed this but whenever you get game over the demo resets its resolution (is it happening only to me? playing with windows 10 64bit 1920x1080 get reset to 1280x720 windowed even when fullscreen is checked). Also is there a plan for more graphics options than the preset we are having? Because it's a nightmare playing in lowest setting (craptop zz), you can't see craps when moving in the dark side of the forest. Other than those, i love this game. It's gorgeous <3

Edit: Also if you get detected by the enemies, if you seduced the same ones u'll get raped instantly is it intentional?

Last edited:

Mithos56

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Err i'm not sure someone else addressed this but whenever you get game over the demo resets its resolution (is it happening only to me? playing with windows 10 64bit 1920x1080 get reset to 1280x720 windowed even when fullscreen is checked). Also is there a plan for more graphics options than the preset we are having? Because it's a nightmare playing in lowest setting (craptop zz), you can't see craps when moving in the dark side of the forest. Other than those, i love this game. It's gorgeous <3

Edit: Also if you get detected by the enemies, if you seduced the same ones u'll get raped instantly is it intentional?
I will certainly be reworking the graphics options as we go. The current options, like a lot of stuff is kinda of a place holder just to get some options in there. Once I start on UI stuff, I can go through and build real options.

Yes, if you get detected and avoid enemies, currently they will have sex with you. The idea behind it was they get really worked up just seeing you, and so as soon as you charm them they are overcome with lust. In practice, I'm not sure it works for me so I'll likely be adjusting it.

sgtbilco

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Development is the main priority, I agree, but "customer service" and recognizing problems and errors are neither wrong, nor completely neglectable.
:D
He's not writing/modifying engine code. He's leveraging an existing engine's (well tested) scripting language. Nothing he writes will have any effect on the underlying engine core, therefore its not his issue. Users who are having difficulty with the game would be better served scrubbing the Unreal forums for answers to their problems. Even if there's an issue with a specific platform, its unlikely he has the skill set to address and solve it (no offense).

If I bought a car and did nothing to it except add a custom stereo to it, then sold it to you.. you would not come to me asking why the car won't start.

I'm assuming you've never touched the UDK, its basically mod development. You really can't 'break' Unreal unless you write an absolute shit shader. Unity is much the same way.

Last edited:

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score

I'm assuming you've never touched the UDK, its basically mod development.
You're right: I never touched, nor analyzed, nor used the UDK. I probably played games or mods made by it, but I didn't create things myself.

He's not writing/modifying engine code. He's leveraging an existing engine's (well tested) scripting language. Nothing he writes will have any effect on the underlying engine core, therefore its not his issue. Users who are having difficulty with the game would be better served scrubbing the Unreal forums for answers to their problems. Even if there's an issue with a specific platform, its unlikely he has the skill set to address and solve it (no offense).
Your initial proposal to "leave these fools with their problems and focus on development" would significally reduce the amount of support you would get for your project from your (partially paying) fans. I can't imagine someone developing a "backed" game - erotic or not - to release demo versions of the soon-to-be finished product, and replying to his/her/their supporters' calls for technical help: "I'm not the problem, you are. Go to the website of the engine I'm using and figure stuff out for yourselves!"

If you were in Mithos' position, who is receiving payment for any advancement he makes, would you really present an attitude like that? "Just go and figure it out yourselves on some website!" - do you really believe this would help his cause of working towards a full release, while being supported financially?

Or allow me to ask differently: If you had never used any game engine as a creator before, and if you couldn't run the latest demo of "Meridiana's Magical Investigations" because a random error message pops up: Would the very first thing you do be to google the website of the engine (which name you might not even know) the game dev is using? I will allow myself to highly doubt that, as it is basically easier for a "programming/UDK/engine/whatever peasant" (which includes me!) to post/mention about these problems in forum threads, blogs or whatever media the creator is using. Because "the source surely knows how to fix it", right? RIGHT?

It sure sounds like you, sgtbilco, have been working with UDK in the past. I understand that you might know more about the engine than I do (for sure! XD), and that you might've been working on projects on your own. But there's more than just "progress, development, just move forward!". There's the people "using" whatever you provide. Your very best mod, game or "basic product" in any engine would be for nothing, if there weren't people/fans who could both use and actually enjoy what you produced. :)

Also, on a sidenote: "Meridiana's Magical Investigations" is my very first Patreon project I'm supporting! Like a miracle, Patreon and PayPal figured out a way to co-exist, so I can help out Mithos to keep working on this promising project! ^^

Monkey Boy

Demon Girl
Reputation score

*Shrugs.* The game runs well on my old 2009 first gen 920 i7 with only 2 GB of video memory on a GT X560 Ti, and Windows 7. All I've done is download the game and let it run on its own. The game did have download some kind of update when I first ran it, and I let it do its thing. It causes the graphics card's fan to turn on, but other than that, smooth sailing. If it's not running on your computer, there's something wrong with your computer. My junk is ancient in computer age.