What's new

HeroineRumble

jk103

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: HeroineRumble - 3D Fighting/Battlefuck/H-Wrestling game new patch Sept 27 2016

It feels really weird that the big wind-up attacks can't be blocked or interrupted at all. The AI's stomp and overhead smash thing are particularly annoying since you need to run halfway across the screen or somehow get behind the AI to avoid getting knocked down.

Stiltzkinator

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: HeroineRumble - 3D Fighting/Battlefuck/H-Wrestling game new patch Sept 27 2016

Is there a demand for this? I figured since there is nothing on the line atm you could just quit the game then restart. Time to get started on a in-match menu I guess.
Awesome. As you said, it's not super critical in the current state, but it could be helpful for testing. And once development has moved further along, it may certainly become a critical feature. Since the functionality is already there via the camera operation, I figured it wouldn't hurt to make the suggestion, at least. While we're talking pause functions, I'm guessing that auto-pause on camera operation will be an option that can be toggled on and off in the future? Just wondering, as I could see people having different preferences once spectate is implemented.

Yea I fked up. I gave the AI a 10% chance to counter things but the rolls are done 60 FPS so in reality the AI is much more responsive.
Whew, I thought I just got really bad at this somehow. It does seem a lot faster now, though, which is a plus all around. Looking forward to trying the new speed at a more intended difficulty.

Last edited:

Aiolos1212

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I just wanted to chime in and say that I think the core gameplay present in the latest version is awesome and very well designed/balanced. Just watching max difficulty AI use every mechanic present in the game to the fullest allowed me to really appreciate what you built here - Every action present in the game is useful and counterbalances other actions. Major kudos on the AI by the way - I played against the max difficulty one until I won and legitimately had a ton of fun purely from a gameplay perspective.

I honestly disagree that grapple counters in a traditional wrestling game format are necessary - they're actually quite balanced as they are. If you're not tired out in some fashion and you get grabbed, you can resist before they can start an actual move - and resisting is a very bad thing for the person who started the grab, because it pushes them onto the floor and makes them vulnerable. To counter that, they can try for some quick strikes while grabbed to wear you out, but you can also block those, which in turn applies a stamina penalty to them. The only time grapples are particularly strong is when you're already worn out in some fashion, in which case they're -supposed- to be strong. That's the whole point of trying to wear the other person out to begin with - to allow your grab to go through.

That said, I do propose one idea that's somewhat similar and has also traditionally been in wrestling games - the addition of a third resource of some sort, like a super gauge for example. If your super is full, it can be expended for two purposes - one, while held to do a reversal, like a get out of jail free card. Two, during a grapple you initiated for a special H-move/submission/whatever. Right now the game is extremely snowball-y, where once you start getting in the lead things very quickly get out of hand for the other person. A third resource could allow for a decent comeback mechanic. As for how it fills, that's kind of up to you, could be on dealing damage, taking damage, dealing H-damage, taking H-damage, perhaps a new action like a taunt which allows for a new option in the neutral game or after knocking someone down. That said, it wouldn't be much of a comeback mechanic unless it generally filled faster when at a disadvantage. Or perhaps it even differed by character, such as a sadist character gaining meter faster through dealing damage, which rewards her for offense but makes her relatively poor when on the receiving end. Just throwing ideas out there - take them for what you will.

OP
Enlit3D

Enlit3D

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

It feels really weird that the big wind-up attacks can't be blocked or interrupted at all. The AI's stomp and overhead smash thing are particularly annoying since you need to run halfway across the screen or somehow get behind the AI to avoid getting knocked down.
On the new version I believe all the attacks except for grab and jump smash are blockable. But you wouldnt be able to block forever, however.

I just wanted to chime in and say that I think the core gameplay present in the latest version is awesome and very well designed/balanced. Just watching max difficulty AI use every mechanic present in the game to the fullest allowed me to really appreciate what you built here - Every action present in the game is useful and counterbalances other actions. Major kudos on the AI by the way - I played against the max difficulty one until I won and legitimately had a ton of fun purely from a gameplay perspective.

I honestly disagree that grapple counters in a traditional wrestling game format are necessary - they're actually quite balanced as they are. If you're not tired out in some fashion and you get grabbed, you can resist before they can start an actual move - and resisting is a very bad thing for the person who started the grab, because it pushes them onto the floor and makes them vulnerable. To counter that, they can try for some quick strikes while grabbed to wear you out, but you can also block those, which in turn applies a stamina penalty to them. The only time grapples are particularly strong is when you're already worn out in some fashion, in which case they're -supposed- to be strong. That's the whole point of trying to wear the other person out to begin with - to allow your grab to go through.

That said, I do propose one idea that's somewhat similar and has also traditionally been in wrestling games - the addition of a third resource of some sort, like a super gauge for example. If your super is full, it can be expended for two purposes - one, while held to do a reversal, like a get out of jail free card. Two, during a grapple you initiated for a special H-move/submission/whatever. Right now the game is extremely snowball-y, where once you start getting in the lead things very quickly get out of hand for the other person. A third resource could allow for a decent comeback mechanic. As for how it fills, that's kind of up to you, could be on dealing damage, taking damage, dealing H-damage, taking H-damage, perhaps a new action like a taunt which allows for a new option in the neutral game or after knocking someone down. That said, it wouldn't be much of a comeback mechanic unless it generally filled faster when at a disadvantage. Or perhaps it even differed by character, such as a sadist character gaining meter faster through dealing damage, which rewards her for offense but makes her relatively poor when on the receiving end. Just throwing ideas out there - take them for what you will.
I am glad someone enjoyed the non-H portion of the game as well. :D I do like the current grapple system dynamic but I think the current setup is too confusing. Still looking for suggestions.

The special gauge approach seems to be interesting, perhaps you can spend 1/3 of the meter to break from hold? Spent all your meter for a ultimate attack? How strong should the ultimate be? Is there incentive to spend meter for break? Should it be preventable/dodge-able? In Rumble Roses for example the ultimate once used are not preventable unless the opponent have a filled special gauge of their own IIRC.

Regarding the snowball-y nature of the game, it is intended to simulate the flow of a wrestling match. Perhaps it was too much? What do people think?

Regarding AI difficulty, just released a new build fixing the issue (hopefully). Also curious what's people thoughts are on AI difficulty? Its very difficult for me to judge :(

Last edited:

Games Dude

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: HeroineRumble - 3D Fighting/Battlefuck/H-Wrestling game AI fix patch Sept 28 2016

As much as I would like to see some things implemented into a game like this, before any of that is even a concern I just want to reinforce that getting the game to a "complete" state would be preferable before adding any of that.

If you want to add males to the game because there's a demand for it - go for it, but consider doing it as a sort of post-release update rather than adding it to the TODO list for the main development.

If you can complete and release this game with purely female characters, even without futas or traps as people have been suggesting, it would still be a great game.

Once you've done that, you can always revisit and add more later.

Also if males ever do get added, androgynous boys (traps) would absolutely be welcome

OP
Enlit3D

Enlit3D

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: HeroineRumble - 3D Fighting/Battlefuck/H-Wrestling game AI fix patch Sept 28 2016

Added info on new character and started a poll on blog. :)

Stiltzkinator

Reputation score

Added info on new character and started a poll on blog. :)
A new character already! I don't know how you're doing it, but I'm loving the chance to see this game take off.

OnyxShadow

Reputation score

Regarding AI difficulty, just released a new build fixing the issue (hopefully). Also curious what's people thoughts are on AI difficulty? Its very difficult for me to judge :(
I like the easiest mode being a minimal challenge. In other words, I like difficulty 1 just as it is. The "bugged" difficulty is probably what H-gamers that want a real challenge would prefer...maybe even a bit harder than that.

LewdLogic

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Covered this on LG recently! We will be paying attention as always.

B00marrows

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Aha, noice~ i was thinking about sending a message soon but here you are. HAHAHAH!

Untrueblue

Lurker
Reputation score

Well this is my fetish sadly without the futa Though since it's coming I can't complain.

Yet instead of having it having it toggle why don'tcha just have two/three characters futa only and make it apart of their personality.

Like a lightly muscled tan futa girl who wants nothing more than to dominate these gangily skanks with her dick. (no offense but these three girls look a bit to weeny'ish) and instead of crying gets pissed off royally if she's losing and has a wanton look if she's losing sexually.

neon007

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I thought I posted this but it seems to not have posted successfully.

Just to add my wishlist to the game.

Now that futa is on the official todo list. What about virginity? Meaning each whole during one fight has a first time use animation. To show loss of virginity for that hole.

Reactions: ???

Azoriss

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I might sound overly ambitious here but:

what of a "career" mode ?

one where you get money after each match and level up stuff on the character, and maybe ave H moves give money bonuses...

OP
Enlit3D

Enlit3D

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Thanks for the write up!

Well this is my fetish sadly without the futa Though since it's coming I can't complain.

Like a lightly muscled tan futa girl who wants nothing more than to dominate these gangily skanks with her dick. (no offense but these three girls look a bit to weeny'ish) and instead of crying gets pissed off royally if she's losing and has a wanton look if she's losing sexually.
I understand that this is a taste thing and some people like muscled girls and others not. Ill consider it.

Now that futa is on the official todo list. What about virginity? Meaning each whole during one fight has a first time use animation. To show loss of virginity for that hole.
What kind of animation are we talking about here and when should it trigger? I dont look forward to having to implement a custom "first time" animation for every sex attack. In addition, being a virgin doesnt make sense for some of the characters, but I suppose a virginize device/magic is always possible.

I might sound overly ambitious here but:

what of a "career" mode ?

one where you get money after each match and level up stuff on the character, and maybe ave H moves give money bonuses...
Good idea. ;)

stubnight

Demon Girl
Reputation score

any chance u could allow for multiple orgasms depending on the condition the recipient of an h-hold is in?

Yuan-Tiki

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I understand that this is a taste thing and some people like muscled girls and others not. Ill consider it.
There are more aspects to this, actually. Visual variety is important in games like this, just as in wrestling itself.

You want characters to feel separate, distinct and memorable. It helps people to attach to and empathise with them.

As much as this is strived for in wrestling, it's also a huge factor in some of the biggest fighting games of all time. Just look at . Look at how different those character's outlines are. Everything from size to posture, how they move. All major factors to the point where you can practically tell at a glance who is who without even having to think. You do have two who are specifically the same in outline, posture and so on. But they also have very similar moves. That similarity becomes part of the character, differentiated by how different Ryu and Ken are in terms of their looks and colour-scheme inside that outline and moveset. That tells you about their differences and similarities in it's own way.

Obviously in this context, unique animations are more work than they would be in a 2d game. But where possible, differences in build will go a long way to building that visual distinctiveness between characters. If it can be done without increasing the animation workload, that strikes me as a good thing.

OP
Enlit3D

Enlit3D

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

There are more aspects to this, actually. Visual variety is important in games like this, just as in wrestling itself.

You want characters to feel separate, distinct and memorable. It helps people to attach to and empathise with them.

As much as this is strived for in wrestling, it's also a huge factor in some of the biggest fighting games of all time. Just look at . Look at how different those character's outlines are. Everything from size to posture, how they move. All major factors to the point where you can practically tell at a glance who is who without even having to think. You do have two who are specifically the same in outline, posture and so on. But they also have very similar moves. That similarity becomes part of the character, differentiated by how different Ryu and Ken are in terms of their looks and colour-scheme inside that outline and moveset. That tells you about their differences and similarities in it's own way.

Obviously in this context, unique animations are more work than they would be in a 2d game. But where possible, differences in build will go a long way to building that visual distinctiveness between characters. If it can be done without increasing the animation workload, that strikes me as a good thing.
Ideally, thats something I like do, realistically, I do not have a team of modelers/animators behind me nor do I have the budget of AAA title. Indeed, just one character from SF2 will likely cost more to make than my expected earnings.

If we take the first Rumble Roses (ps2) as an example, I think most characters have the same body model but only differentiated by face, hair and costume and skin color. Many of their moves/stances are shared from the same pool. Mind you, this is a game with a much higher budget than what I have and they aren't able to completely personalize every one of their characters. I think most people greatly underestimate the time it takes to do modelling/animations.

Last edited:

B00marrows

Tentacle God
Reputation score

For uniqueness of the character i hear a good test is "can you tell the diference if they where a silhouette?"
If there hair/pose/clothes and minor model differencs tell them apart than your doing a good job in my books.

DudePerson

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I think most people greatly underestimate the time it takes to do modelling/animations correctly.
Added a bit. Might want to do that as one of your blog posts somewhere down the line.

Yuan-Tiki

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Ideally, thats something I like do, realistically, I do not have a team of modelers/animators behind me nor do I have the budget of AAA title. Indeed, just one character from SF2 will likely cost more to make than my expected earnings.

If we take the first Rumble Roses (ps2) as an example, I think most characters have the same body model but only differentiated by face, hair and costume and skin color. Many of their moves/stances are shared from the same pool. Mind you, this is a game with a much higher budget than what I have and they aren't able to completely personalize every one of their characters. I think most people greatly underestimate the time it takes to do modelling/animations.
Yeah, animating is a huge time sink. A lot of possible visual differentiation requires more animating and coding to support, such as to keep animations sinking up between different body-types. But that depends on how it's all put together, how the meshes are rigged and how the game is coded and so on and you're the best judge of that as it's you behind the scenes getting it all done.

Which leaves the safe level of differentiation hairstyles and outfits, but if there's room in the engine as it stands for differences in physique, they're a good quick way to differentiate characters.

I'm not sure budget comes into it though, unless you're buying assets or people's services to create them. I was under the impression this was more of a one-person development team, in which case the main resource consumed is time. I'd advise against feature creep for that reason, personally. That'll eat into your time like nothing else.