What's new

ACT [GRIMHELM] Alien Quest: Eve (RJ311440)

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Alien Quest: Eve

Genre:

Action Side-Scroller/Metroidvania
Sci-fi/Horror

Engine:
Unity

Languages:
English, Japanese

Summary:
Released for free, GRIMHELM, creator of Dark Star and Dungeon & Maid finally comes out with Alien Quest Eve - A metroidvania which takes a lot of ""inspiration"" from the Alien franchise in its enemy designs and contrasts that with a magical-girl-esque protagonist in a Sci-Fi setting. Somehow, it works.
As with other games of the genre, the overall objective is to hunt down keycards to progress through levels, fight bosses, and search the levels for hidden upgrades. It also features some light RPG mechanics - levelling up different stats to determine your damage output, health, MP pool and regen etc.
There are savepoints scattered throughout the map, with each section of the ship having its own boss.

Note: By default, in-game H-scenes will only play when defeated. There is a toggle in options (Esc > Option) to allow them to play when touched by an enemy while naked.

The premise is simple: Researchers on the space-ship Eve create a clone of an ancient alien lifeform's brain to aid in the further manufacture of bio-weapons. Like any B-movie level plot, shit goes wrong after MOTHER BRAIN hijacks the ship's core and unleashes havoc. Our protagonist Ellen, arriving 6 months after the fact, must download the data from the ship's core, acquire a sample of MOTHER BRAIN and activate the the ships self-destruct.

Content:
40 in-game animations and 5 animated interactive GOs
Female protagonist
Clothing Damage
Combat Rape
Gangbang
Fully-animated Game-Over Rape
Not-zombies (M/F, MM/F, F/F)
Not-Xenomorphs
Aliens
Tentacles
Fucking Fucking Machines
Magic Wand
Bangs
Note:
Contains 1 animation with gore (Facehugger) which is easily avoided by restarting/reviving after losing to one.

Pics:

Links:

News:
05/19/2020: 1.01 hotfix released on Patreon
05/19/20: Released

05/18/20: Release is "in a few days"
02/02/19: It lives! New demo released, with a blog post showing off a lot of content.
10/25/17: Grimhelm has created a
This is conjecture, but it seems like further demos will be released through it.

Released:
May 19, 2020

Downloads:
Anomaly's Hardmode Mod (for 1.01)

1.0: (Courtesy of @seboaisss )
0.13 03/02/19 (64Bit only):
0.11 Alpha:

Controls:
Keyboard default - can be configured through esc > keyconfig, can use Xbox 360 controller
Arrows - Movement
Z - Jump
A - Back-dash
S - Speed Up
X - Attack
C - Ability
V - Switch Ability
Space - Spin Attack
1 - Use HP Potion
2 - Use MP Potion
Tab - Map
Esc - Menu
F12 - "Death"

Last edited by a moderator:

Noble 6

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Re: [ACT] Alien Quest: Eve (GRIMHELM)

Looks like it's reusing some of Dark Star's assets. Let's hope it gets finished this time.

OP
Jesus

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Looks like it's reusing some of Dark Star's assets. Let's hope it gets finished this time.
Black Star is a remake/proof of concept using Dark Star's assets made by a different team, I think you're confusing the two. Grimhelm's previous games were both completed.
The winged flying alien definitely looks similar to the one in Dark/Black Star, but its animation there is original as are the majority of enemies shown off in the blog post

Last edited:

CountMoxi

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Grimhelm is back! I loved his previous too games and this one is already looking great. I'm a little worried though as he says he might swicth to simulation games after this one, but we'll see what happens. Hopefully we'll get a demo before not too long.

EDIT: Apparently he says the demo will be out in 2 weeks!

There's a few more screenshots on his blogpost too so it seems the game is pretty well underway. This one is my favorite :D

Last edited:

alias34

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Ooh baby, yeah I've been on the lookout for new stuff by him too, since he already teased something being in the works a few months ago.

Man, this guy seems pretty down about his work, did he ever post here? Maybe seeing the appreciation for his work could get his spirits up a little.

UnexpectedTwist

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I liked Dungeon & Maid, and this one looks like it can be good too, but I'm a little concerned about what they said on that post. It seems like they didn't want to make another action game, so I'm wondering if this game will feel forced.

raxim

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Why does this have the Full game tag when there is not even a demo out?

Noble 6

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Black Star is a remake/proof of concept using Dark Star's assets made by a different team, I think you're confusing the two. Grimhelm's previous games were both completed.
I am not confusing anything. Grimhelm even apologized for not completing Dark Star, especially after he made an update that REMOVED half of the animations in the game. People also brought up on his blog how his website's banner showed off unfinished cum animations that he never used.
Dark Star was never finished.

Tesseract

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I kinda have no stake in this one way or the other... but if cutting animations is your definition of "not finished..." ...then boy oh boy was there never a game in the history of mankind that has been finished. Stuff gets cut ALL THE TIME. Especially in software. Hell, most of the time stuff gets cut so fast that they don't even bother taking it out of the code.

Software being "finished" is a real fuzzy line. Nobody understands that more than developers.

Anyways, I've really enjoyed Grimhelm's art and animations. They're always top quality. The gameplay has been pretty mediocre though. I wouldn't mind seeing an attempt at another genre. But that comes at the risk of enraging the "I only play ACT games" crowd.

alias34

Cthulhu
Reputation score

he made an update that REMOVED half of the animations in the game.
Wait what? Did older versions have more animations, or did the initial demo have more? Do versions with the missing animations still exist?

Ricoy2k

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Great News!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been a while since I've been waiting for news like this.

nrevolve

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I really hope this is just a placeholder, and Grimhelm still working on it.

The heroine looks better than dungeon&maid, but IMO Darkstar still have the best lookin, something about her bangs that covering her face during H is kinda weird.

The level also looks similar to Dungeon&Maid and I also think the H animation/pose seems re-used.

Gameplay wise its looks improved a lot and better though,the movement are very fluid and the screen transition looks like metroid.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Haha, IDK why but I'm really diggin that wand...

Tlazol

Demon Girl
Reputation score

This looks incredible. I suppose that taking into account the amazing graphics and animations, this can take a long time to cook, right?

Thanks for the info :D

Noble 6

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

but if cutting animations is your definition of "not finished..."
You misread what I said. The updated versions of the game removed animations that were already implemented. On top of that, he himself said it was unfinished. This is just you being too apologetic.

Noble 6

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I was bored, so I did something semi-productive.

Here we have the galleries for the launch version on the left and the post-update version on the right that I saved in case I ever needed to have this argument. It was only like an extra half-gig, anyways.
At launch, several animations like the two shown here lead into eachother. In this case, her being fingered then lead into this giant bondage at the second half of the animation. But you can see the progress bar below the button and notice that the bondage animation is just gone. As well as a lack of v-sync.
Every enemy has two sets of two animations in the launch version. The update removed many of them and clicking the buttons in the gallery only gives just one animation for the whole runtime, rather than swapping halfway through.
This is like what happened with Spore, where content was finished but taken away. But this time the game was already released. An unofficial version added them back in, but you're silly if you think Dark Star was ever finished when even the developer said it was not done. Dungeon and Maid was finished, but he's been ignoring Dark Star ever since he announced DnM.

nrevolve

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I was bored, so I did something semi-productive.
Every enemy has two sets of two animations in the launch version. The update removed many of them and clicking the buttons in the gallery only gives just one animation for the whole runtime, rather than swapping halfway through.
Uhm does the launch version is the trial one or v1.00? I don't remember the last version but its looks like the right one.

And I do remember that there's a patch (forget for DnM or DS tho) is that what you mean that removed this animations?