What's new

RPG [Alice Soft] Rance - Hikari o Motomete - ランス -光をもとめて-

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Many of you have played Rance VII, otherwise known as Sengoku Rance. Here's a chance to play the saga from the beginning. In this game, the ever 'lovable' Rance already has Sill and is working as a hero and detective, sent on assignment to locate a missing girl for her wealthy family.

The game is very different to Rance VII, being more akin to an old detective style game than the strategy RPG game. It does, however, retain the enormous amounts of evil we expect from Alicesoft; true to the genre, trying to beat it without a walkthrough is an exercise in frustration. You can buy the walkthrough step by step ingame once you've unlocked the place for it, costing you exp, but as it gives you a series of steps from the beginning, rather than a hint for what you need to do next,

Now, make no mistake, this game is old. The artwork and gameplay reflects this. But if you want to follow the Rance franchise, this is a good place to start, being the only Rance game other than Rance VII currently translated. The people who translated this are working on Rance 2 at the moment, I'll post it when that's done as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Re: Rance 1: Quest for Hikari (English)

trying to beat it without a walkthrough is an exercise in frustration
Challenge accepted.

Thanks for uploading it.

Bowser

Lurker
Reputation score

Awesome mate. What held me back from the series was the language barrier. With an actual translated version, I feel much inclined to play through this classic series and see the actual story. I remember the anime from a long time back and enjoying that. I'd assume this should be around the same time.

If you have more, by all means, keep them coming. I'd love to finally get the story start to finish.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Awesome mate. What held me back from the series was the language barrier. With an actual translated version, I feel much inclined to play through this classic series and see the actual story. I remember the anime from a long time back and enjoying that. I'd assume this should be around the same time.

If you have more, by all means, keep them coming. I'd love to finally get the story start to finish.
From memory, the anime was actually set to Rance VI; the game right before Sengoku Rance. I could be wrong, but not by much, it's still fairly late in the series.

Nanie

Lurker
Reputation score

Nice, I didn't even think to link it here. It's really silly. Like 'What the fuck" silly. Poor concrete man. xD

If anyone has any questions what do to go ahead and ask if that walkthrough doesn't help you. I'm pretty much a strategy guide by now after beating it without one.

crow_mw

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Ok, so here is my question: After 4th hint the info-store girl says 'From this point on take a look at the compiled list of hints'. How do I view this list?

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Progress so far:

Shit you need to learn:
You cannot logically deduce the next step half of the time, half of the game is pure trial and error with no reasoning whatsoever. A quite unfortunate flaw, because for half the game it's not the player's deductive skill which makes him able to discover where to go and what to do, it's just clicking every single option and then hoping for some shit to come up randomly, like a shitty graphic adventure game.

Shit you can learn by luck:
Sometimes repeating the same action many times in a row is the way to unlock something (Ie: I talked with a blue haired girl and didn't say a word, then while clicking randomly the fucking bitch decides to talk out of fucking nowhere).

Curious shit:
Money isn't worth much after buying the best equip at the beginnings of the game.

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Ooo.

I've been looking for this. Thanks Inky.

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

A game that's actually small enough to be uploaded as a single file to Mediafire? Haven't seen one for ages. This brings back memories.

Dakeryas

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Many of you have played Rance VII, otherwise known as Sengoku Rance. Here's a chance to play the saga from the beginning. In this game, the ever 'lovable' Rance already has Sill and is working as a hero and detective, sent on assignment to locate a missing girl for her wealthy family.
More rep for you gentleman.:D

Edit:
I've got a problem. I can't figure out how to level up. I'm out of the city figthing monsters and i have 340/100 px. I am missing something? Or is it a bug?

Last edited:

TwilitFeather

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

*Creates account to help*
There is a level up shop North West of the cemetery near the bottom of the map. Feel free to save up experience before visiting, it will carry over to the next amount needed.

Dakeryas

Demon Girl
Reputation score

thanks a lot.

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I like the translation but I already beat this a very long time ago but it's good to see somebody took their time to translate this classic game.

Here is a nice link of an archive of Alicesoft's old games for free downloads in various formats I wish they were all translated:(.

The windows icon is the dossexe version click on the folder to download.

TwilitFeather

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Anytime Dakeryas. I'm glad to help. Thanks for the link Urineonu its... I cant believe I just typed that. ^_^; Anyway, it was interesting seeing all the covers for their games. I've had a year of Japanese so I can read the kana, but sadly that still only puts me to about 4th grader status.

Bowser

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh man this is oldschoole. Wow, I remember games like this before gold box.
Heh, the translation works well tho, was this an officially marketed translation?

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Oh man this is oldschoole. Wow, I remember games like this before gold box.
Heh, the translation works well tho, was this an officially marketed translation?
Nah, just a small team trying to translate all the rance games before rance VIII is released.

crow_mw

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I don't think their goal is to make it before Rance VIII nor is it really possible, as it is likely going to be released within next few months.

This is the blog they use to announce major steps in their translations. Forums with more details are linked there as well:

Kirshz

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Sorry for the Necromancy, but-

The translation for Rance 2 Remake has been completed.

Now just needs to get a copy of , since the Rance 2 remake was included on it, it wasn't sold as an individual game if I recall right.

Krim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Sorry for the Necromancy, but-

The translation for Rance 2 Remake has been completed.

Now just needs to get a copy of , since the Rance 2 remake was included on it, it wasn't sold as an individual game if I recall right.
Bueno.

Ops

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

can some1 help me can any1 upload the rance 1 and 2 if possible