What's new

[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Virgin's Protection Magic Translation

I did state multiple times that what I do and post on this forum is free for use by anyone to do whatever they want with it. I don't do partial or anything related to translation for popularity or anything of that sort. I do it so because I enjoy more playing a game I can understand. UI and basic stuff go a long way in making you understand the game better.

I removed the link for the changes.
Just to be clear (given context of the Rrezz forum drama currently unfolding), the stance I'm taking isn't really to do with what you've done, but more to do with the fact that if I ignore it I lose rights which I might want to exercise further down the line. A quick way to skirt around this issue would be to post a modified untranslated scripts file (possibly in the main thread?). RPGMaker Trans should be capable of handling it, and you'd end up with the same result.

So I ran RPGMaker Trans, but when I started the game in the _Translated folder, it wasn't translated.

Any ideas why this might be?
igotnostuffs advice is useful, but RPGMaker Trans does have a rare issue where it may randomly fail to apply a patch (I think the probability is less than 1/100, but hard to estimate). If you're still having problems, try redownloading the patch and applying it again.

Last edited:

kR1pt0n1t3

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Just to be clear (given other bits of forum drama), the stance I'm taking isn't really to do with what you've done, but more to do with the fact that if I ignore it I lose rights which I might want to exercise further down the line. A quick way to skirt around this issue would be to post a modified untranslated scripts file (possibly in the main thread?). RPGMaker Trans should be capable of handling it, and you'd end up with the same result.
No worries dude. I just put it out there. If you ever want to tackle changing to UI or anything, you know what lines to change. I put the script file to make it easier for people to apply if they really want them. I personally like UI to be neat and all font and letters to be the same. It hurts my eyes to look every time in battle at "Runic Sorcery" being small and pushed together or on the status screen.

I've told you in e-mails about it many times and I'm really glad you're including in next rpg maker trans version a possibility to change/add script lines.

mifdsam

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Without any useful info, I'm going to assume that you checked "Create patch" and started. If you did, then you shouldn't.
Yeah, that worked, thanks a lot

igotnostuffs advice is useful, but RPGMaker Trans does have a rare issue where it may randomly fail to apply a patch (I think the probability is less than 1/100, but hard to estimate). If you're still having problems, try redownloading the patch and applying it again.
I think my main problem was that I'm more used to patching translations manually (this was my first time using RPGMaker Trans, if that wasn't blatantly obvious), so I had no idea what to do, or not to do

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I held off on chiming in until now.
Anyway, you're not alone. I made that mistake myself the first time around as well.

AkiTooru

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Just a small thing I noticed while playing the game, you translated きれいな水 as "beautiful water" , but a more appropriate translation would be "clean water" or "pure water". きれい does mean beautiful/pretty, but it can also mean pretty as in not soiled/clean/tidy.

Also, I ran into some problems with RPGMaker Trans 4.37, it was too big vertically so I couldn't see the "go!" button. There was an error log taking some space: "Error checking version: hostname 'rpgmakertrans(dot)bitbucket(dot)org' doesn't match either of 'bitbucket(dot)org', 'www(dot)bitbucket(dot)org'". My browser also said the site's certification wasn't configured correctly.

Another little thing I found is that in the forest outside the first town you find a yew tree, and in the message it says "got a yew twig" or something like that, when the name of the item is yew branch. I took a quick look and it's in map 201 coord (091,035) event 43: イチイの木(自生).
And ベラドンナ as Balladonna ... I just had to change it in my game, not only because it's supposed to be Belladonna (deadly nightshade, Atropa belladonna), but because it sounds like a word in my mother tongue so it confuses the hell out of my brain
And in the Sex Shrine dungeon, one of the square wooden chests says you get a "cross necklace" but you actually get an High-grade Salve. Map 222 Sex Shrine B1 (032,012) Event 10 【宝箱】高級傷薬

Last edited:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Yeah, that's one of the translations I've been meaning to change. I'm fully aware there's a fair amount of stuff that is using... well, inaccurate translations. Over the course of this project, I've learned quite a lot of Japanese, so I probably need to go over some of the older translations again (probably just items/skills etc). Not doing that now of course, as it would cause even more delays.

Regarding the GUI on RPGMaker Trans- Yep, GUI sucks, especially on older-resolution laptop screens (because QT, for whatever reason, puts way too big spacers in on Windows). Will be fixed in next version. Regarding the error message, it looks like bitbucket's sites are having a bit of a lie down at the moment. They're transitioning the sites from bitbucket.org to bitbucket.io, and I guess this is related as the .io domain works fine. However, nothing was supposed to happen until January, so I guess something's gone wrong on their end. Fingers crossed they fix it soon.

iamnuff

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Balladonna
I didn't catch that in-game, but now it's been mentioned, i'll never be able to avoid it now.

I don't know who donna is, but I remember the ballas.

L

Locomotor79

the game needs 2 be updated on the translation part
habisain could update your patch for the game its now
1.1.4 instead of 1.1.3

ty in advance

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

the game needs 2 be updated on the translation part
habisain could update your patch for the game its now
1.1.4 instead of 1.1.3

ty in advance
As I've been asked about this: This patch works on all versions of Virgin's Protection Magic, including the new release. There will be a handful of untranslated bits and bobs, but nothing major.
You have asked me three times about this (via visitor message, PM and here). I addressed the question after the first query. Whining about it won't make me update the patch any faster, especially as it still works. I would normally try to be polite about this, but I've had a crappy day, and so: shut up.

Stiltzkinator

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Whining about it won't make me update the patch any faster, especially as it still works.
It's almost like you've spent quite a bit of time working on a program that uniquely allows translation patches to work with a given game more or less regardless of any updates it might receive.

velsomnia

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I love that you are translating this game and I just started playing it again now that it's so close to being finished. I did want to post here and say that I did find one error so far in the translation that I am unsure if you knew about yet. When you get to the first town and Brawen shows you your room upstairs and asks if you have a wand she goes on to say, "I don't think they Ash trees grow around here." Should be I don't think any Ash trees grow around here.

noobsaleh

Demon Girl
Reputation score

A torrent of this game recently went up that implies that this game is fully translated. Is that a mistake?

velsomnia

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Last update I saw said his tools put it at about 75% done but since he has a lot of proofreading to do on it still we only have about half the game in the latest patch.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

@velsomnia: Thanks for the spot check on the spelling. It's the kind of thing I wish more people would chime in on, because while I do some quality checking, it's not a full proof read. I think I'm at something like 80% now, but can't remember exactly.

Regarding any torrents, that's not me, and it's not authorised by me. Regardless of my personal stance on piracy (which is: not cool, don't do it), one of the reasons why I've not had any issues with DMCAs on this project is that DLSite haven't tied my translation of the games name to the game. Given that their copyright department are shoot first and ask questions later, if they make the connection, it's going to be very inconvenient for the project (Even with the fact that I have permission from Searothonc to do this translation). So please don't support the people doing that or share those torrents. Boring fact of the matter is that if I have to start dealing with DMCA requests, it's going to delay things.

I also just spotted some prat trying to monetize my work. He didn't redistribute it prepatched (yay), but was distributing it alongside a pirated copy of the game and using ad links (boo). And for the patch, he couldn't even be bothered to upload his own copy - he was linking to my download on Dropbox (wtf?). Just overall depressing how greedy people can be.

velsomnia

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

No problem on the proofreading and yeah im glad no one has given you any problems over this translation. Dlsite gives an issue because they would rather a circle pay them to do an in house translation rather than a free 3rd party one.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

No problem on the proofreading and yeah im glad no one has given you any problems over this translation. Dlsite gives an issue because they would rather a circle pay them to do an in house translation rather than a free 3rd party one.
To my knowledge, DLSite don't offer translation services beyond feeding a page through a machine translator for the English version of the site (or the worlds least competent translator). Given that I've been DMCA'd for putting up a copy of a demo of Crystal Story Awakening (as the demo on DLSite for the game vanished for a while) I think it's mostly automated processes i.e. find a download with a given name and DMCA it. Hence why I would rather DLSite not be able to link the English name of my project to something that it potentially infringing, especially as a DMCA counterclaim would involve submitting my real name/address, which I'm not too keen on doing.

velsomnia

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Very true about that, its such a shame that this stuff can be so huge and out in the open in japan and over here in the US its treated worse than BDSM. I can be open and honest about being a master in that and my slave even wears a collar in public but even I feel afraid sometimes to admit that I prefer games that dont have fade to black transitions.

I hope they dont find the translation anytime soon.

djunk101

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

How goes things?

Darkarhon

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

@velsomnia: Thanks for the spot check on the spelling. It's the kind of thing I wish more people would chime in on, because while I do some quality checking, it's not a full proof read. I think I'm at something like 80% now, but can't remember exactly.

Regarding any torrents, that's not me, and it's not authorised by me. Regardless of my personal stance on piracy (which is: not cool, don't do it), one of the reasons why I've not had any issues with DMCAs on this project is that DLSite haven't tied my translation of the games name to the game. Given that their copyright department are shoot first and ask questions later, if they make the connection, it's going to be very inconvenient for the project (Even with the fact that I have permission from Searothonc to do this translation). So please don't support the people doing that or share those torrents. Boring fact of the matter is that if I have to start dealing with DMCA requests, it's going to delay things.

I also just spotted some prat trying to monetize my work. He didn't redistribute it prepatched (yay), but was distributing it alongside a pirated copy of the game and using ad links (boo). And for the patch, he couldn't even be bothered to upload his own copy - he was linking to my download on Dropbox (wtf?). Just overall depressing how greedy people can be.
Yeah well... that's humans :p

Keep up the great work :) i am already half-way so i am waiting for the next Translation Patch.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

How goes things?
Christmas was unproductive, although that's probably as it should be. However, the reasons for it being unproductive were not good. While I won't go into details due to this being real-life issues, I nearly ended up with a full blown anxiety attack. Circumstances have improved a bit, but not enough for me to make any noteworthy progress as of yet.

Obviously I'm going to prioritize my mental health over this patch, and indeed anything else I'm doing in the H-games sphere, so I fear this will mean progress will be slow for a while. I would hope that these issues can be resolved by the end of the month, but obviously this isn't the kind of thing I would put a timetable on.

Status
Not open for further replies.