What's new

[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Virgin's Protection Magic Translation

I think it's more how the game is structured, especially with non-story confidants. With Ann, saving her is part of the story and you're not given as much free reign as the player, therefore making it more in line with what Akira (the main character's name in the P5 manga) would do naturally. With non-story confidants like Sadayo Kawakami, your forced into a 10 rank/event structure that can only be completed around game mechanics and is up to the player to choose what's a more valuable use of their limited time. Akira can't help Sadayo any faster than the game mechanics let you, the player, do it and it is not required for the game to tell the story it's trying to tell, where as you have to save Ann to continue the narrative.
There's an argument in that, but I'm not sure if I buy it as there is some give in other confidants as to when their Mementos mission happens - in varies between ranks 7 and 9. But it's kind of the heart of the matter: the game is touching on some very dark themes here, and they need to be handled carefully and consistently, otherwise it can come off wrongly. I wouldn't say that the Kawakami stuff is a total failure, but there's definitely ways it could have been improved.

And this kind of thing matters because a large number of players of the game are going to be in the bracket "old enough to have made bad decisions" - myself included. I would not want to think that I should continue having to pay for bad decisions for a long, long time, and I would not want to believe that someone with the capability to help chose not to help as fast as they would someone younger. As I've said, the situations of Ann and Kawakami are not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but it's close enough to make me uncomfortable with how Kawakami's situation is handled. In any case, games do tend to screw up on these kind of situations more than they should, and as long as this happens, games are going to be considered second rate stories to say movies or books; a situation which need not be, given how good the stories in games are getting. It's just this attention to detail which needs to be sorted out.

I have been toying around with an idea for an adult game that tries to play with these issues beyond the norms you find in H-games (where consent, consequence etc. tend to get boiled down to "it's not rape if she orgasms" - including in VPM, in places). I think there's a game in there, and who knows, it might even have a worldview which can be accepted - or at least tolerated - by feminists. If we had more adult games like that, then maybe there wouldn't be such a low view of adult video games in the general public.

Hantaboy

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I think nobody enough brave to ask about the translation (me either :D ), so i think they rather asking/speaking about Persona 5...

For me is no problem, because, if we need to wait then we need to wait. Habisan will give us informations when the time comes, and if he want to play other games (like persona 5), then its his decision and nobody can blame him for it.

Also, I purchased the MonsterMonpiece in the PSN EasterSale (if we are going off topic, then do it on more lines), and its realy dissapointing that nobody play it online :(

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I think nobody enough brave to ask about the translation (me either :D ), so i think they rather asking/speaking about Persona 5...
you can btw always check his .
Everytime hes done with a scene, a map or sth similiar, it will show up there.

EDIT:

since this seems to be the official P5 thread - would you guys recommend playing p4 first or does one enjoy p5 just fine without having played the previous game ?

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Actually, at the moment, you'd be best off looking at RPGMaker Trans's commits here: - the reason is because until I get a bit of PRGMaker Trans working properly, I'm not going to be able to do the QC pass.

And as I've said, let's not have this be a general purpose Persona 5 thread - there's some interesting bits as far as storytelling goes that I'm happy to talk about here, but there's much better places to discuss Persona 5 than in the H-game translations section. As a very quick answer to the last question, P5 can certainly be considered as a standalone.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

OK, long time no comment, now that the "Persona 5 thread" debacle is over. I had originally said between mid and late May for the next release... Well, seems a tad unlikely at this stage. It turns out that RPGMaker Trans/Robotrans needed a lot more work than I had anticipated, and I had somewhat less time available that I anticipated. I'm nearly done with them though - or at least, to the point where I can use them on VPM. I just need a bit more time to test the things I'm doing, and then I should at least know how much effort needs to be expended on fixing the patch to something I can release.

I'd also like to do a quick straw poll vis-a-vis localising the sex-noise dialogue. Up until now I've been translating these literally, mainly due to a lack of motivation to expend the effort to properly localise them. This has resulted in some errors (i.e. where taking a literal transliteration of a Japanese moan has produced things like "Aaan"), and stuff that does sound weird in English (i.e. "cumming-cumming-cumming-cumming" etc.) Anyhow, once everything is working, sometime after the next release I'm considering using Robotrans to rewrite the sex-noises in the dialogue so that they're more natural sounding in English. Is anyone particularly opposed to this? And if so, why?

I'm also considering changing the game font to in the near future. I'm already using Fira Sans as the font for the non-ornate graphical text (e.g. Title, main menu, character names), so it's a good choice (and it's a Libre font, so I'm legally allowed to use it). Of course, this is also dependent on me getting the tools to handle variable width fonts, but I'm fairly confident I can get that to work. Again, straw poll: anyone opposed, and why?

imnotapervert

Totally is a Pervert
Reputation score

I'd also like to do a quick straw poll vis-a-vis localising the sex-noise dialogue. Up until now I've been translating these literally, mainly due to a lack of motivation to expend the effort to properly localise them. This has resulted in some errors (i.e. where taking a literal transliteration of a Japanese moan has produced things like "Aaan"), and stuff that does sound weird in English (i.e. "cumming-cumming-cumming-cumming" etc.) Anyhow, once everything is working, sometime after the next release I'm considering using Robotrans to rewrite the sex-noises in the dialogue so that they're more natural sounding in English. Is anyone particularly opposed to this? And if so, why?
When I translate I usually localise them, but I can't say whether I prefer either. Obviously sometimes you'd rather have it say *slurp* or *suck* instead of just *kupu*, it's literal transliteration, in some cases, but for the most part I get that it's a moan from *Aaan*, and I'd rather have it say that than just *moan* or whatever. How exactly would you rewrite them? Otherwise, if it's easier for you to just use the literal transliteration then that's fine in my opinion.

I'm also considering changing the game font to in the near future. I'm already using Fira Sans as the font for the non-ornate graphical text (e.g. Title, main menu, character names), so it's a good choice (and it's a Libre font, so I'm legally allowed to use it). Of course, this is also dependent on me getting the tools to handle variable width fonts, but I'm fairly confident I can get that to work. Again, straw poll: anyone opposed, and why?
Depends, will it slow down the release of the translation? ;)

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

OK, long time no comment, now that the "Persona 5 thread" debacle is over.
you consider that a debacle ?

oohhh boy, too bad our Aylias' dumpster fire thread is locked again.

beanjam

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Is anyone particularly opposed to this? And if so, why?
I would be opposed to it because there's virtually no precedent for written sexual onomatopoeia in English. Unless maybe that's a thing in ERP? Still that would be pretty niche and either way it would defeat the point of making it "more natural sounding" since things only sound natural if you've heard them before in a similar context.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

When I translate I usually localise them, but I can't say whether I prefer either. Obviously sometimes you'd rather have it say *slurp* or *suck* instead of just *kupu*, it's literal transliteration, in some cases, but for the most part I get that it's a moan from *Aaan*, and I'd rather have it say that than just *moan* or whatever. How exactly would you rewrite them? Otherwise, if it's easier for you to just use the literal transliteration then that's fine in my opinion.
Beyond rewriting stuff like "cumming-cumming" to maybe use words like "Yes" or something, I'm not entirely sure how it'll look, but don't expect huge differences. I would like to correct some of my transliterations to reflect how the lines are said in voiced games, and probably fix some partial words, but at this stage it really is just me throwing an idea out there at the moment.

Depends, will it slow down the release of the translation? ;)
If it's viable to do so, changing the font to Fira Sans would be the work of seconds. So unlikely to slow down the translation effort. I'm not sure on the amount of work it would require in the tools, but it's likely that this is work I would have to do anyway, so again it's not likely to slow down the translation.

you consider that a debacle ?

oohhh boy, too bad our Aylias' dumpster fire thread is locked again.
It's a debacle that we managed to stop and reverse before it progressed beyond being merely a debacle. For the longest time, whenever the Aylia's Story thread surfaces it appears to go from debacle to an active shitstorm very quickly. I'm not saying anything about the quality of YummyTiger's work itself - more a commentary on how the thread here seems to evolve: someone resurrects it, lots of complaints about Yummy's patreon + not keeping to schedules, some nasty things said, mod locks thread.

So there you have my definition of debacle - things going wrong in the thread, but no nasty things said and no moderator intervention. Let's try to keep to debacle levels of stuff going wrong.

I would be opposed to it because there's virtually no precedent for written sexual onomatopoeia in English. Unless maybe that's a thing in ERP? Still that would be pretty niche and either way it would defeat the point of making it "more natural sounding" since things only sound natural if you've heard them before in a similar context.
I'd disagree on the precedent, to an extent - in English prose it is more normal to use description, but I'd said that there is enough precedent out there for onomatopeia as well. Also, and more to the point, it's not so much trying to make the onomatopeia's sound more natural, but to make them reflect how they're said in Japanese. It's something that I noticed playing a few voiced games - the way I've been transliterating some of the onomatopeia's doesn't appear to reflect how they're actually said.

There's also words/parts of words where I'd change translations, but that's addressed earlier in the post.

bumpywolf

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

habisain do you have a ETA for the next patch (maybe few weeks or few months)?

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

habisain do you have a ETA for the next patch (maybe few weeks or few months)?
No detailed ETA as of yet; I'm still working on tooling to check the patch for errors and such. Robotrans2 is shaping up to be much more capable than my old tools, and so should result in a much faster turnaround time than when I last did editing. However, it's still missing some features it needs, so I still don't know how much work is left.

I would be very, very surprised if the next release turned out to be a few months away though. There's a fair amount of work to do, but it isn't that much. So I guess that means "a few weeks". However, if I recall correctly, I said then next release would be a few weeks ago a few weeks ago, so don't read too much into this estimate.

Sue Nami

Demon Girl
Reputation score

All programmers know that the last 1% of the work takes at least as much work as the first 99% did.

bumpywolf

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

No detailed ETA as of yet; I'm still working on tooling to check the patch for errors and such. Robotrans2 is shaping up to be much more capable than my old tools, and so should result in a much faster turnaround time than when I last did editing. However, it's still missing some features it needs, so I still don't know how much work is left.

I would be very, very surprised if the next release turned out to be a few months away though. There's a fair amount of work to do, but it isn't that much. So I guess that means "a few weeks". However, if I recall correctly, I said then next release would be a few weeks ago a few weeks ago, so don't read too much into this estimate.
Thank you for your answer :) time to wait for a few weeks :p lol

Renmaru

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'd probably just classify that as "probably a few weeks, but don't hold your breath or anything, cause shit happens". Which it does, regardless can't wait to see this translation finished, from what I recall last time I played I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the translation, and heartbroken when it stopped and all I had was my intuition to go off at that point. It's hard to play a game when you don't understand where you need to go next :p

Thanks for all your hard work habisain!

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Right, so it's been three weeks, and so here comes the progress report. The good news is that I think I now have all the functionality I need to actually do the checks I need. I haven't completely coded up the rules file so I'm not 100% certain on this, but everything has been tested on a smaller project and appears to work.

Robotrans is currently showing about 600 or so items that need a look. A lot of these are false positives in the spell check due to onomatopoeias and whatnot, and will disappear once I come up with the appropriate Regexs to filter them out. Given that there's quite a lot of unacceptable spelling errors I am going to get all of these sorted out before release. I can sort out these errors pretty quickly. I'm not entirely certain what my average speed is, but I would estimate I can get this sorted out... Hmm. Actually, I'm not going to give a date, because that would be taunting Murphy. Let's just say soon™.

bumpywolf

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Right, so it's been three weeks, and so here comes the progress report. The good news is that I think I now have all the functionality I need to actually do the checks I need. I haven't completely coded up the rules file so I'm not 100% certain on this, but everything has been tested on a smaller project and appears to work.

Robotrans is currently showing about 600 or so items that need a look. A lot of these are false positives in the spell check due to onomatopoeias and whatnot, and will disappear once I come up with the appropriate Regexs to filter them out. Given that there's quite a lot of unacceptable spelling errors I am going to get all of these sorted out before release. I can sort out these errors pretty quickly. I'm not entirely certain what my average speed is, but I would estimate I can get this sorted out... Hmm. Actually, I'm not going to give a date, because that would be taunting Murphy. Let's just say soon™.
From "some weeks" to "soon", it makes me feel the update is really close now :D that made my day. thanks!

zekemckillip

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Man, I didn't even realize it had been 3 weeks... Well here is a good trick for everyone else to try, go play Persona 5, LOL. It was mentioned on here, so I picked it up thinking it had to be alright at least... I've got about 100 hours on there and I just can't stop playing it. Anyway, can't wait for this next patch, but wanted to pop in and thank Habisain for getting me addicted to Persona 5.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well, progress report time. Basically, I'm going backwards. Or not quite, but it feels a bit like it. As people should be aware, I develop my own tools and I use them myself. The current tools are not even beta quality, and so have bugs. In this case, the bug was that a lot of files weren't being read by the checker, which means I now have a load more things to do. I'm currently looking at something like 700 items to check (not including the "name consistency" check - necessary because it catches a lot of errors, like where I've put in the wrong name, but produces a lot of false positives because there's quite often a legitimate reason to translate names a different way in certain places).

Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

At least people with good taste in games are finding other things to do :)

djunk101

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Well, progress report time. Basically, I'm going backwards. Or not quite, but it feels a bit like it. As people should be aware, I develop my own tools and I use them myself. The current tools are not even beta quality, and so have bugs. In this case, the bug was that a lot of files weren't being read by the checker, which means I now have a load more things to do. I'm currently looking at something like 700 items to check (not including the "name consistency" check - necessary because it catches a lot of errors, like where I've put in the wrong name, but produces a lot of false positives because there's quite often a legitimate reason to translate names a different way in certain places).

Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

At least people with good taste in games are finding other things to do :)
I've been keeping myself busy with the recent release of Monster Girl Quest Paradox Part 2 :p

Anyhoo, thanks for all your hard work and I hope things go well.

Naheal

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm having a mild issue with the patcher. While I do have the patch itself in the same folder as the main game, in a folder with english lettering, ect, the patcher gets stuck at 99% without displaying a "finished" prompt at the end even after leaving it alone for half an hour plus. Am I doing something wrong?

TL/DR: instructions unclear, dick stuck in fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.