What's new

[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Virgin's Protection Magic Translation

There aren't downward inflections in Irish Gaelic, only upward. (fada)
But I don't think that phrase is present in Irish Gaelic, though. My Irish is good, but not perfect.

Libellule

Cthulhu
Reputation score

There aren't downward inflections in Irish Gaelic, only upward. (fada)
But I don't think that phrase is present in Irish Gaelic, though. My Irish is good, but not perfect.
in the picture, the "àes dàna" is writen with upward one for Irish

the question is who stolen the word to who :x

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'd be interested to know where that snippet comes from, actually. Oh well. I think you're half-right on this; it looks like àes dàna is a sort of a Gaelic honorific, but also a little more than that as well. Using an alternate spelling, were highly regarded, and were normally skilled individuals. Critically though, being Aois-dàna referred to a separate role, which was the advice given to the rulers and keeping track of genealogy of families.

So that looks to be where it comes from. It's a little bit more than just being a skilled craftsman; it's the power to advise that's attached to it, and also people can be Aois-dàna without being a craftsman (the genealogy role).

Last edited:

Libellule

Cthulhu
Reputation score

mmmm yeah, i thinks you are right here, they say "a holder of knowledge or know-how, intellectual or manual"

that includes a lot more that just craftman, i thinks scribe and even musician, etc... can be on that too :x

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

In terms of sounding natural, the only things I think you'd call a teacher in English are "Miss", "Miss (surname)" or "Mrs (surname)"... I certainly don't recall ever calling a teacher "teacher"! (That would sound very rude in English!)

Blackie sounds like a pretty normal name for a cat. What else would you pick? Inky? Sooty?

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

In terms of sounding natural, the only things I think you'd call a teacher in English are "Miss", "Miss (surname)" or "Mrs (surname)"... I certainly don't recall ever calling a teacher "teacher"! (That would sound very rude in English!)

Blackie sounds like a pretty normal name for a cat. What else would you pick? Inky? Sooty?
Indeed, that's why I said Teacher does not sound right in English way back before this got derailed by discussions on deriving Old Gaelic from the Modern Gaelic languages. In any case though, Gwendolyn/Brigits relationship isn't teacher/student, but master/apprentice.

I'm strongly tempted to use Sooty as Brigit's pet name for Felengel. It's got just the right amount of disrespectful cuteness in it for Felengel to object as strongly as he does. Or maybe I'm biased because I used to watch as a kid.

Last edited:

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Thanks for your work on this.
However, I did notice a couple of things, typos mainly.

The ingredient, "Snake Tongue" has a typo and is presented as "Snake Tounge".
Shouldn't "Balladonna" be "Belladonna"?
Another one after the Trial in Act II where the Chief Guard says something along the lines of "Thanks for your hard work" or some such, the speaker name says "Cheif Guard". And again after Branwen asks who they were. Again, after Brigit asks who the masked man was. Yet again, after Branwen says that the relic won't function without the altar.

Lastly, "Girl Who Wants To Be A Witch" is a bit of mouthful. "Witch Aspirant" says it all with less words, I think.

Whoops, last thing: calling her "Grandma-chan" is a little redundant as "Oba-chan" is grandma, or granny anyhow.

Argh, one more, during the conversation when Brigit is to leave for Alchester (End of Act II)
Felengel "I'm don't think you'll be able to." --> "I don't think you'll be able to."

Last edited:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Thanks for the comments. I'll sort them out (well, most of them - not sure about "Witch Aspirant"). As mentioned in this thread, there's going to be quite a long editing phase before the next release, so those comments will fit right in. I have a suspicion that I might have accidentally whitelisted some stuff and so those spelling errors accidentally slipped through my checker.

It has to be said though, I'm not particularly good about typos - in that I make a fair number while also failing to spot them.

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I'll be honest, I'm just happy you're still translating this. It's one of the most enjoyable games I've played. i know it takes long That's why we appreciate the time you're putting into it. Can't wait for the next update regardless of how long it will be until it's out. :)

Casual19

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Honestly I still haven't actually played this game since it actually came out.
Only played part of the translated trial and loved it. Waiting for the full translation before I jump back into this. I understand that is probably a long ways off still but I just wanted to say my piece, and let you know that I'm rooting for you. :)

PeanutGallery

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I hear young children call their instructor "teacher" on a reasonably regular basis, and it's fairly typical for college students to use "professor" as an honorific.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I hear young children call their instructor "teacher" on a reasonably regular basis, and it's fairly typical for college students to use "professor" as an honorific.
A) At the very youngest, Brigit is a young adult. So a comparison with a young child is not particularly apt.
B) In every academic institution I've been a member of in the UK, you would maybe use "Professor" when addressing someone the first time. And most of the time, that person would tell you not to use it afterwards.
C) As stated before, Gwendolyn and Brigit have a Master/Apprentice relationship (well, officially. Gwendolyn would obviously like more...). This is quite different to Teacher/Student or Professor/Student, hence why I'll be using Master as the address Brigit uses.

PeanutGallery

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with your selection - I think Master is the perfect choice, given the circumstances. I'm simply providing extra information.

(FWIW, over in America I hear Professor used frequently, especially in large lecture classes.)

Dzhazgo

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

well... why dont u just leave things as they are?
i dont think what jrpg players are not familiar with anime. u see, most of us have knowledge, helping to understand relationship between characters. why even bother with insanely adaptive translation?
i can understand -chan -san -sensei -kun -hime etc. without even thinking about translating those in english or my native lang

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

well... why dont u just leave things as they are?
i dont think what jrpg players are not familiar with anime. u see, most of us have knowledge, helping to understand relationship between characters. why even bother with insanely adaptive translation?
i can understand -chan -san -sensei -kun -hime etc. without even thinking about translating those in english or my native lang
I've explained before, but basically it's because this is a game in a Celtic setting. If it were in a Japanese setting, there's a stronger argument to leave honorifics and occasional Japanese words in place, because they could add to the translation. But they just make no sense in a Celtic setting, and in some ways I think they get in the way of the intent of things.

Basically, no-one really wants literal translations - if you go for literal translations, then a lot of things will get lost in the translation. Case in point: there's a joke about Branwen saying 性なる祠 (Sex Shrine) which Brigit hears as 聖なる祠 (Holy Shrine) because in Japanese both of these are said the same way. A literal translation makes no sense here (in English there's no way you could mistake the words), so I translated it in both cases to Fertility Shrine, because it's certainly possible to interpret that in both a dirty and an innocent way. So basically, a good translator shouldn't be doing a literal translation, but should be attempting to present the meaning of the original text in the new language. And in this case, my judgement is I got things wrong initially, and the nuances of a Celtic setting were being hampered by me including Japanese flavour to the text.

It's also pretty much irrelevant at this stage, because I've already done most of the editing.

In related news: now my translation has Brigit/Llywelyn call Gwendolyn "Gwendolyn" instead of what I said I was going to use - "Master". Basically, I tried swapping in Master and... it doesn't work. At best it makes Brigit sound like some kind of apprentice Igor. Also, to be honest... the use of a formal address between witches kind of flies in the face of what Gwendolyn says at the beginning, where she characterises witches as being light hearted and pretty casual so as not to fall into the type of mindset that leads to being a Wicked Witch. It also addresses another small issue, which is that Brigit is taught by two witches - Gwendolyn and Branwen - but in the Japanese, she only addresses Gwendolyn as Sensei. Small details like that bug me no end.

Ryuukun

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I arrived at the end of the translation... I'm so tempted to continue the game with Chiitrans, but... I'd miss out on something! So I'll wait for the next patch. Any release date maybe?

Also, will I have to re-patch the japanese version? Then copy my save to the new created translated file?

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

As always, the release date is "when it's done".

Technically I probably could release something this week, but I've decided that the next release will be after I translate some number of H-scenes.

The recommended route for doing a version upgrade is to repatch the Japanese version. You don't necessarily have to move save files around - RPGMaker Trans will quite happily update the old version to a newer one if it's in the right place. Probably best to back up your saves though.

Ryuukun

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Alright, thanks! Keep up the great work! :D

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

As always, the release date is "when it's done".

Technically I probably could release something this week, but I've decided that the next release will be after I translate some number of H-scenes.

The recommended route for doing a version upgrade is to repatch the Japanese version. You don't necessarily have to move save files around - RPGMaker Trans will quite happily update the old version to a newer one if it's in the right place. Probably best to back up your saves though.
This makes me happy, nice knowing your still working on it at a decent pace. The more H-Scenes you translate the better :p
Looking forward to the next update.

lead21pc

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

This report has missing this file while the orginal not has this file, how i suppose to fix

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.