What's new

[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Code:
;’;:゛;(;゜;ж;゜;)
Someone from behind grabbing your boobs?
That's... actually a pretty good interpretation. It might even be right. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty certain that the emoticon is used for a group of people identifying as "the booby legion" (or at least I translated it that way).

Now, is there a sexual harassment emoji?

@zipetya: You probably should report problems in RPGMaker Trans in bitbucket, yes. But I'm officially not supporting v4.5 now, as I'm focusing on getting v5 out, so help may be limited. Also, who the heck uses Windows 8?!

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Roger.
[...]Also, who the heck uses Windows 8?!
I know... ( ´•̥̥̥ω•̥̥̥` )

djunk101

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Code:
[B](’·ω·‘)[/B] Downhearted 
[B](・∀・)[/B] Laughing
[B]( ゚∀゚)o彡[/B] Waving to the side
[B];’;:゛;(;゜;ж;゜;) [/B] WTF????!??!
Reminds me of Histoire from Neptunia.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Indeed, Histoire does use these same emoticons. And I don't really understand them there, either.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, especially Sue Nami. Also, thanks to Google who have licensed Android's Emoji under Apache 2, so I can use them.

Here is a handy guide to the Emoji I'll be using ( ):

Last edited:

djunk101

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm curious, is there a way for us to compile a patch ourselves using your interim work between patch releases? Or is that not possible with how you're doing the translation? I only ask because I follow the MGQ Paradox translation and I know it's possible to do so with that one, so I'm curious if I could do the same here.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'm curious, is there a way for us to compile a patch ourselves using your interim work between patch releases? Or is that not possible with how you're doing the translation? I only ask because I follow the MGQ Paradox translation and I know it's possible to do so with that one, so I'm curious if I could do the same here.
It is - in fact you can just go and grab a working patch from the Mercurial repository - but keep in mind that there is no guarantee of any kind of quality if you grab the current working version of the patch. As to how to do it, I already posted some instructions here. Also, I'm not going to be linking those instructions from the first post or anything, because I don't want it to be too obvious (for the quality control issue). Current patch stands at 89% complete.

Also keep in mind that most of what I've done since the last release has been H-scenes which are in Act 5 - so you'll have to go through untranslated story to get to them. (And I haven't put those emoji in yet).

Last edited:

djunk101

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

It is - in fact you can just go and grab a working patch from the Mercurial repository - but keep in mind that there is no guarantee of any kind of quality if you grab the current working version of the patch. As to how to do it, I already posted some instructions here. Also, I'm not going to be linking those instructions from the first post or anything, because I don't want it to be too obvious (for the quality control issue). Current patch stands at 89% complete.

Also keep in mind that most of what I've done since the last release has been H-scenes which are in Act 5 - so you'll have to go through untranslated story to get to them. (And I haven't put those emoji in yet).
Thanks, though I have a question. How do you use TortoiseHg to clone a url? I've never heard of a program like this before and it's not exactly intuitive and I don't really have the patience to read through a 183 page PDF to figure it out.

Also, playing through untranslated parts are no problem. I beat this game in pure Japanese once before way before I even knew a translation existed (I know kana and sentence structure, though my vocab and kanji are fairly weak).

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The correct documentation is literally the first Google result for "TortoiseHG clone", and there's plenty of Youtube videos on how to do it. As per usual, ULMF is not the place for tech support - plenty of places which are better.

djunk101

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The correct documentation is literally the first Google result for "TortoiseHG clone", and there's plenty of Youtube videos on how to do it. As per usual, ULMF is not the place for tech support - plenty of places which are better.
Got it to work. I lucked out in trying to put the url directly into the "source" thing, since nothing I looked at told me I could do it. Since there was a browse button next to it and the default entry was an in computer address, it wasn't intuitive that you could put a url in there and none of the help pages I looked at directly told me that.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

OK, I double checked things with Searothonc, and the last two of the emoji were a little bit off the mark.

The "hand waving" emoji is actually a depiction of Joruju Nagaoka - an ASCII art character from 2chan who's always waving and shouting "boobs". The emoji hand waving to the side I had... doesn't really capture the fact that the character is a pervert. In addition, the waving hand emoji looked pretty bad in the game. So I've instead simplified a bit and gone for heart eyes and a very flushed face.

The "boobs grabbed from behind" one is a bit simpler to explain - it's actually a spit-take. Amazingly, there's no emoji for a spit-take, so I have, once again, improvised it.

The revised emoji guide:

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

OK, I've hit another milestone now, which is that all non-ending H-scenes are now translated. This is one of the last major milestones before release, so there's not too much left to go until release (in percentages, I've hit 92%).

I'm also changing how I do things for a bit: specifically I won't be updating my public Assembla repostitory. The reason for this is a bit technical (the patch will soon be migrating to the v4 format, which means until I release RPGMaker Trans v5, it won't be useful for anyone) and a bit personal (I want the final release of my patch to be a bit more of an event, rather than some people being able to see it ahead of time).

As for things which need to be done, in addition to the issues which surfaced with the release of v0.82, and the remaining story translation, there's a few more things which are going to happen before release. A quick list:
  • Change the font from UmePlus Gothic to Fira Sans; this is the font being used on the menu and graphical character names, and given that it's not a monospaced font like UmePlus, it will save space, be easier to read, and just look better. This will also include reflowing the text.
  • Revisit how moans, sound FX and so forth are translated. The number of ways in which I've translated these is astonishingly high, and a lot of these are kind of bad. Moans like "Kuh" have no place in this translation, so some automated replacements are necessary.
  • A proper home for the translation. The blogger page is kind of OK, but I'm setting up a better page for it.

What's the plan going forward? Well, less updates overall. There will probably be a few new screenshots once I get the font changed over, and I may post a few other milestones as well. However, I am going to aim to get everything finished within 2 months - by the 20th November. This is a target with a lot of leeway in it, mind, so it may be finished earlier.

The point is: the end is finally in sight. I've been translating this game for 2 years and 6 months at this stage (remember: I started my translations when the demo was released, all the way back in March 2015), but finally the end is near.

Last edited:

dante2144

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Thank you so much!

Hoboy

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Appreciate an honest and real update. Really looking forward to this in it's final form...

nuclearbomb

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Long time lurker of this thread coming by. Appreciate you managing to keep the steam up for so long and finally seeing a finish line must feel real good, I know that I will at least feel good when finally being able to play this fully translated :D

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Awesome work, habisain - looking forwards to it! (And then you're finishing up Lillim Union when this is done, right? ;) )

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Awesome work, habisain - looking forwards to it! (And then you're finishing up Lillim Union when this is done, right? ;) )
Pffftt... Maybe.

I've not actually decided anything yet on what I'll be doing next, but Lilium Union actually is back in the frame for potential projects. The other thing in my sig, Crystal Story Awakening, is in a bit of a limbo state at the moment; the author is remaking the game in RPGMaker MV, and I'm concerned that he may change some of the strings (note: if he doesn't change the strings, then I'm not worried at all; the current patch would be applicable to any MV game, once I get MV support sorted out).

The main attraction with Lilium Union for me is that a) I've already done a good chunk of the game and b) the H-scenes are mercifully short, or at least in comparison to VPM. VPM features approximately 9k dialogues worth of text in H-scenes, which is about 50% of the game, and I'm of the opinion that most of these could have been a lot shorter (remember, I've complained a lot about these because they are so monotonous to translate). Lilium Union only features just under 3k dialogues worth of H-scenes (about 25% of the game), which is much more palatable.

All that being said, we'll see what NewMoonLabel's next work, Nightmare Girls (thread) is like. As you might guess from the , I'm quite interested in this one.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

OK, I said there would be some progress updates, so let there be some progress updates!

Translation status: I've now got 98% of v1.1.3 done, within the constraints of RPGMaker Trans v4 (i.e. some bits not translated). I've just got two endings to go. I think I'll have my un-quality-checked complete translation done within the next couple of days; I can then look at fixing the problems with it - I know there's a lot of text overflows.

Font Change: Or perhaps there aren't. The text needs reflowing regardless, but Fira Sans is much more compact for English. There was a technical hitch with this though, which is that Fira Sans does not cater for Japanese glyphs - or the heart symbol which is used so much in VPM. Hence I've made custom font face which uses the characters of Fira Sans with UmePlus Gothic as a fallback. The font face is currently entitled "Fira Sans Ume", and will become part of the patch in short order.

I've (very quickly) patched it in for some initial screenshots:

I'll admit there are some issues; RPGMaker is not being helpful with it's fairly arbitrary decisions on when it wants to resize menu text (the equipment menu is particularly badly affected), and this is compounded by the fact that Fira Sans is not particularly legible when resized to half horizontal width. I will be fixing these issues for release, of course. I might also knock the font size down a little, or perhaps swap to Fira Sans Light (rather than Regular). I'm still investigating this, but I need to make it so the graphical name tags look as if they're the right size - to my eyes, they look too small now!

Overall though, I'm happy. The extra space that Fira gives me will let me fix some issues that were problematic before, like not as many apostrophes as there should be in menus (because now an apostrophe doesn't take up a full character width!).

Other Things: And I've also made a good start of the problems identified here. I'm not finished on these, but probably about 1/3rd the way through the list.

RPGMaker Trans v5: Is not as far advanced as I'd like it to be, honestly. I've had a few issues, but hopefully these are resolved. And they need to be, because I'm already using some of the new features. But oh well - this is balanced by the rest of my work on VPM being ahead of where I thought I'd be!

A permanent home for the patch: My domain is active, and that's where it will live. I haven't had a chance to make the page for VPM yet, but it will be similar to the page I made for . So if you want a good idea of what I'm aiming for, go check it out. The goal for the VPM page will be to be a complement to Searothonc's official site, although my version will probably be somewhat more restrained in design.

I'll probably keep hosting the Patch on Assembla though - or perhaps Mega or somesuch. I don't have much bandwidth of my server at the moment, and the patch is getting hefty.

I'll likely post another progress update in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Gotta admit, as interesting the part with the fonts was and the insight you provide in general, but you had me at

Translation status: I've now got 98% of v1.1.3 done, ...
like:

kR1pt0n1t3

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Script: Window_EquipSlot
Line 67 and 68 - Just add+20 and +25 like I did below or change to what you find fitting
draw_text(rect.x, rect.y, 92+20, line_height, slot_name(index))
draw_item_name(@actor.equips[index], rect.x + 92+25, rect.y, enable?(index))

If you have problems with the item name width, you need to change number in script "Window_Selectable" line 185

I still got one of the previous versions of the translation but should be the same with the latest.

The same goes for the stats window on the left.
Script: Window_EquipStatus
You should mess with the numbers in lines 73 and 80 and maybe 87 if the arrow isn't positioned good.

Last edited:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

@Keep: I feel like I should clarify, in case the "translation 98% done" statement got peoples hopes up for a quick release: there's still a fair amount to do, which includes the additional content in v1.1.4 and actually getting RPGMaker Trans v5 out which is required to apply the patch (at the moment, the patch I have does not even apply correctly - I've not implemented all the features I need). At the very least, I would not anticipate a release this month.

I'm afraid I'm simply not one of the translators who does things as quickly as possible. Hopefully this means that there's a higher quality translation at the end; I've always sought to do this to a more professional standard, but now that I've started looking over my own work has me kind of jaded in regard to that.

@kR1pt0n1te: Thanks for that - obviously all the positionings will need updating for the new font, but that old hack you did wa~~~y back when is a great reference for how I can get these things fixed. Suffice to say, there's a lot more things to fix up than just what I showed here; pretty much all the menus need updating somewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.