What's new

[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalCloud

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Good to hear it is almost getting released, Have left this game completely untouched waiting for the full patch =/
Sadly released just in time for me to start my job when I have not been working for the past few months lol!

Sue Nami

Demon Girl
Reputation score
If you have friends or family this christmas, we won't blame you if you spend time with them. Honest.

I don't think anyone here actually expects a release date of christmas, unless of course that's not one of your family's holidays.

MagicProtects

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Christmas would almost be a fitting release because the Christmas costume is in version 1.1.14 So that event would almost tie in since it is now translated.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Sue Nami I actually am staying with family over Christmas, but the simple fact is that most of the work will be done before then. Almost certainly going to be a special version of a patcher just for VPM though, because I'm encountering multiple issues meaning I'm not quite ready to finalise the new patch format yet (which would be needed for JapeTrans v1 to be released; who knew that making a typesetting language was so hard). So the release might end up being a bit rough around the edges in places essentially, but then again, I suspect that would always have been the case.

BobJim That thought did cross my mind.

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Regardless of when this comes out, I gotta commend you for translating this.
After playing what you had translated before I went and bought the game on DLsite I enjoyed I enjoyed it that much.
Keep up the great work! :)

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
rizo It's good you feel that way, because for Christmas my gift is... a delay. Go figure. This time caused by illness making coding much more difficult than it should be. Better now, so the delay isn't likely to be long - a few days probably.

Merry Christmas all. My new years resolution will be to learn how to schedule things so I'm not blown off course by every little thing that goes wrong in my life.

rizo

Reputation score
rizo It's good you feel that way, because for Christmas my gift is... a delay. Go figure. This time caused by illness making coding much more difficult than it should be. Better now, so the delay isn't likely to be long - a few days probably.

Merry Christmas all. My new years resolution will be to learn how to schedule things so I'm not blown off course by every little thing that goes wrong in my life.
Ahh that's fine, your health takes priority man. Maybe we get it before the new year? Question how much will be translated since the last patch? The last thing I remember is *spoilers ahead * clearing the witch teacher of the kidnapping and flying back, then saying you're going somewhere else to try to help....
Still I think it's awesome you're translating this, when it's 100% translated I'm totally going to replay through the whole thing as it's such a good game.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Ahh that's fine, your health takes priority man. Maybe we get it before the new year? Question how much will be translated since the last patch? The last thing I remember is *spoilers ahead * clearing the witch teacher of the kidnapping and flying back, then saying you're going somewhere else to try to help....
Still I think it's awesome you're translating this, when it's 100% translated I'm totally going to replay through the whole thing as it's such a good game.
Probably before new year, yeah, but I've been burned trying to estimate times before so... I'm not going to officially estimate that.

As to what's going to be translated: everything. 100%. The lot. After the next release, the only updates will be if there are content updates to VPM (possible; there's some unused assets and hints of a v2.0) or to correct/fine tune aspects of the patch.

rizo

Reputation score
Probably before new year, yeah, but I've been burned trying to estimate times before so... I'm not going to officially estimate that.

As to what's going to be translated: everything. 100%. The lot. After the next release, the only updates will be if there are content updates to VPM (possible; there's some unused assets and hints of a v2.0) or to correct/fine tune aspects of the patch.
oh my goodness, didn't think the whole thing would be done. I'm even more hyped now. This is the first H-rpg I've bought that was getting a translation I enjoyed it that much, and it was 100% worth it. Can't wait to play the rest regardless of when it comes out.
Have a good x-mas and new year, and I'll keep my eyes peeled on this thread for an update. :)

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
rizo It's good you feel that way, because for Christmas my gift is... a delay. Go figure.
Come on mate, no need to be as humble when we get a present like this - even with the delay.
You're doing something most of us can't, without pay, to make others happy, so go and don't act like we deserve it.

gotta admit tho, this one made me chuckle a bit :p

A merry Christmas to you as well.
I do hope you can spend some time with your family and loved ones, getting to slow down and being happy in general.

Reputation score
Mega doesn't have links that don't require keys. I assume you clicked "Link without key" and assumed it meant that it wouldn't require a key to download, which is something I can understand.

Gfurst

Demon Girl
Reputation score
keep it up habisain, this is gonna one of the best translations around,

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Gfurst That's premature until this gets released.

Sitrep: Christmas has been busier would have been optimal for work on this project, or pretty much anything really. That's kind of why I wanted to get it out before Christmas. Oh well. It'll be done when it's done.

zekemckillip

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Gfurst That's premature until this gets released.

Sitrep: Christmas has been busier would have been optimal for work on this project, or pretty much anything really. That's kind of why I wanted to get it out before Christmas. Oh well. It'll be done when it's done.
LOL! OMG, he's gone full Chris Roberts! George R.R. Martin, and Patrick Rothfuss! No more estimates, just like, fuck it, it'll be done when it is done! ROFL!

Sorry, take your time man, this response had me laughing way more than it should though, so I figured I would post, cause I'm sure someone will get on here and flame you. This way, you know the delay that is probably just as frustrating for you, at least made someone laugh.

Gfurst

Demon Girl
Reputation score
habisain I know it will, even though its long overdue, but from what we already seen, you do a pretty good translation and writing, and the game too, is one of the best around still today, great combination of gameplay and ecchi content.

On another note, I've been getting an error when trying to access the thread from my notifications, something about forbidden access, anyone else had that?

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
habisain I know it will, even though its long overdue, but from what we already seen, you do a pretty good translation and writing, and the game too, is one of the best around still today, great combination of gameplay and ecchi content.

On another note, I've been getting an error when trying to access the thread from my notifications, something about forbidden access, anyone else had that?
not with this thread in particular lately, but i think one thing that triggers it, is if you have more than one page to read up on.
Like, for example, if i read the post one evening and the next morning i might be reading the same thread again, now with 2 answers, one on page 14 and the next on page 15.
Cant acces the thread like i usually would, and have to look for it manually.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Gfurst Keep Not sure what causes that error. It's not related to having more than one page, I think, because I've seen it show up with only single notifications. I've also seen the same error on Hongfire which also uses vB5, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there's some bug in vB5 itself - perhaps only being exposed under certain circumstances (e.g. when combined with cloudflare perhaps?)

On the patch: I think I've learned that I shouldn't have used JapeTrans specific features when I hadn't finished implementing JapeTrans itself. I'm still programming it. I think one of my problems is that I try to go for "big wins" all in one go; the "big win" here is to get a tool out which can handle typesetting (i.e. automatically fitting text into the dialogue box regardless of font), because that's a big headline feature which will improve the quality of all translations going forward. In addition to making it easy to use much nicer looking fonts in general, it also enables the use of bold, italics, and other fonts. Something that may not be obvious is that many Japanese games effectively do use two fonts; regular text and Kana-only text, which is used to differentiate a different type of speech; sometimes robotic, sometimes primitive, sometimes really shouty - and the use of a single font removes this nuance completely in a game without voiceovers. Using multiple fonts is a nice way of improving the quality of the translation, e.g. Using a robotic font ( ) for a robot character really improves things.

But as I've said, my failing here was using unimplemented features in the VPM patch, because it's put the patch into a position where I can't release it without doing a helluva lot of work (i.e. manually typesetting about 20% of it). I had naively assumed that the work left to do on JapeTrans would be easy and it mostly is... but there's a lot of work left to do on it, and I've had less free time than I thought. So I've managed to put myself into a situation where there's a helluva lot of work to go even though most of the translations are finished. It sucks, but all I can do is try and learn not to do it next time (although that's a bit of a catch-22 in and of itself, as the only way I could work out what features were really important was to see which hypothetical features I would actually use... Sigh.)

Status
Not open for further replies.