What's new

[WIP - Full] [ScaleGarden] [RJ052839] - Breath of Fire & Iron - [English Translation]

daede

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Game Title
Breath of Fire & Iron \ 火と鉄のブレス / Hi To Tetsu No Buresu

Game Website

Game Author

Original Game Thread
ULMF 21747

Story Summary
Breath of Fire and Iron follows the fresh young adventurer Kate on her first journey into the world of quest and treasure. But Kate has lived a sheltered life until now and knows little of the ways of the world and less still of the ways of men. But Kate is not entirely helpless for she can call upon her Breath, the fire in her belly and the iron in her blood; She can charge up her power and face enemies she could otherwise never hope to vanquish. As strong as her breath may be though, destiny has plans for Kate and will see her bend to it's will; and destiny's instrument shall be the corrupt and corrupting men of this land.​

Genre Summary
In a similar vein to other ScaleGarden games Breath of Fire and Iron follows the familiar pattern of progressive forced corruption ultimately resulting in absolute surrender to desire. Though the corruption starts off relatively mild perhaps suitably called teasing it progresses fairly rapidly, so rapidly and kind of unjustifiably that I am reluctant to even call this a true corruption game. On top of the pacing the characterisation seems to often have her abruptly regress to her pre corrupted state following each act regardless of how intense or shameful. The primary situations are all fairly vanilla and include light to heavy groping, kissing, hand play, breast play, oral and of course sex with both one and multiple partners. Their are situations that involve demi humans such as Goblins, Antmen and an Ogre but they are neither graphically nor thematically different than those situations with humans.​

Game Summary
The graphics are of a moderate quality and do include limited animation and there certainly are plenty of scenes but the graphics are reused frequently for them. The gameplay is a typical RPG Maker affair with the one notable exception of the combat, which is almost entirely custom and drastically improved over the standard fair. Audio is as expected for one of these types of games with no notable music or effects and absolutely no character voices.​

Progress Meter
Character Interface: COMPLETE
This section covers all the details provided to the user about their character, statistics, inventory and abilities.

Combat Interface: COMPLETE
This section covers all aspects of combat from enemy names to in combat messages and victory rewards.

Engine Interface: COMPLETE
This covers all scripting, menus, loading, saving and pretty much every thing else interface wise not covered above.

Story Scenes: 68 of 105 = 20%
This covers all dialogue and events that take place within the world that are not specifically part of a long scene of a sexual nature.

Hentai Scenes: 2 of 30 = 5%
This covers all of the dirty stuff that is of a suitably long length as to be considered its own discrete scene.

Install Instructions
1. Get a Functional copy of the original game.
First thing you need to do is get yourself a copy of the game, I will not provide any links to the game only patches so you need to get a copy first.

Any copy of the game will do as long as it is functional; and when I say any copy I mean any copy it does not matter if it has been modified by other patches or is the latest version.

I strongly recommend getting your copy of the game from DLSITE if however you already have a copy that is fine.

If you are having trouble TRying to fInd a copy its ALways best to support the original author their work is not TRivIaL and should be financially supported by all those that can.

2. Decrypt the Game RGSSAD file
Once you have a copy of the game you need to extract the "Game.rgssad" file using a decryption tool. I have provided a link to the tool I use in the attachment files of this post titled "RPG Maker Decrypter".

To use the decrypter download the tool and extract it into a folder of your choosing.

MOVE the "Game.rgssad" file from the main folder of your functional game into the same folder you extracted the decrypter into.

Then run the decrypter "RPG Maker Decrypter.exe" select File-->Open File and double click on the "Game.rgssad" you see in the 'Open RPG Maker Encrypted File' pop up window.

Next select Tools-->Extract All Files and wait for the decryption process to let you know it's complete with a Success pop up box, click OK to close the box and X out to close the decrypter.

Now in the folder you extracted the decrypter to there will be another folder called Extract open that folder and select all files and folders inside it and MOVE those files and folders back into the main folder of your functional game from where you originally moved the "Game.rgssad". You may be asked if you wish to overwrite existing files if you are prompted select yes to all and continue.

3. Install the latest Translation Patch
Download the appropriate translation patch. If you have already downloaded and applied a previous version of my Breath of Fire & Iron translation then download the SmallPatch otherwise and or if you want to be safe download the LargePatch.

Extract the patch into a temporary folder. Once extracted browse down through that temporary folder until you get inside the "RJ052839 v1.01 - EngUI v1.1 - EngFL vx.x" folder. Inside this folder will be a file called "Game.ini" and a folder called Data there will likely be other files and folders and you want all of them I am only mentioning these 2 specifically so that you know your in the right place.

Select all of the files and folders inside the "RJ052839 v1.01 - EngUI v1.1 - EngFL vx.x" folder and MOVE them into the main folder of your functional game. You will be asked if you wish to replace existing files and you must select yes to all for the patch to work.

4. Play the game PRO style
One final gift is a program called WindowWatcher. This is essentially an Application Window magnification tool and it is the best way to really enjoy old RPG Maker XP and earlier games as this tool will give you a mirrored window of the game that is fully resizable whilst maintaining scale and proportion.

Download the attachment "AireSoft WindowWatcher" and extract it to a folder of your choosing.

Before you run WindowWatcher first run the game that you wish to use it on. Then with the game running simply browse to the folder you extracted WindowWatcher to and double click on 'WindowWatcher.exe'

You will be presented with the 'WindowWatcher - Choose Source Window' simply left click within that window on the icon corresponding to the game, the icon should look like a big orange sun.

A resizable mirror window will open immediately and you can set it up however you prefer.

Note that once you have set your mirror window up to the desired dimension you must click back onto the game in the Taskbar for the game to resume play. Don't worry the mirror window will remain on top although if you do need to minimise it you can do so at any time by clicking on WindowWatcher in the Taskbar once and then once again.

I will admit that WindowWatcher is a little awkward sometimes as you can easily find yourself accidentally clicking somewhere with the mouse and losing focus but it is infinitely better than playing in a skewed and distorted full screen or a ridiculously tiny default window.

Version History
2016 - 07 - 14 - EngUI v1.1 & EngFL v0.4 - Minor Update
2016 - 07 - 13 - EngUI v1.1 & EngFL v0.3 - Major Update
2016 - 07 - 11 - EngUI v1.0 & EngFL v0.1 - Initial Release

Attachments

Last edited:

Slayersz

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Breathe of Fire and Iron Translation Project

I'm thinking of translating this game as I am surprised that there is no translation for this game since quite a few Scale Garden games have been translated.

Dlsite code is RJ052839 if you want more info.

RanneRo

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Breathe of Fire and Iron Translation Project

Yes it'd be great if you do so, this one is popular, alot of ppl will play it again if there's a full translation of the game. :p

Key'

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

What the hell are you waiting for? Start now! Right now :p!

Slayersz

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Cool. Like habisain, I'm not great at Japanese and part of my focus in taking on this project is to get better at the language.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Hey, please remember to add the actual game's thread into your OP.

Slayersz

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Having a lot of troubles translating this game so I'm moving on to smaller games to translate. Hoping I get better to come back ^_^

Key'

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Understandable if it's your first :). Just don't forget about it :p.

brolly30

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Having a lot of troubles translating this game so I'm moving on to smaller games to translate. Hoping I get better to come back ^_^
no problem bro you can do it when you get the skill

UrusaiSenpai

Sex Demon
Reputation score

awww :< Ohh well! Maybe one day!

kR1pt0n1t3

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Lol, the partial for this game was done by me like 2 years ago and shared on the forum.

The link is down though ever since they deleted my mega account.

EDIT:

And what's with the enemy name translation?

Envious Cobra? It's Forest Snake
Frakenised Bee? It's Assassin Bee
Ponderous Hermit? Demon Crab Hermit
Raging Bull? Wild Boar
Gide the Gilded? When it's supposed to be just Gide

Why make up these names?

Last edited:

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Sadly, I've seen some other translators completely fabricate enemy names... And still others who don't actually stop to think for a second if it sounds right at all. My own work is slow going, true. That's mostly checking and and testing; but also sometimes it's me being unwell.

I'll check out this game and see if I share the enthusiasm. Oh cool, it's Scale Garden. I like most of their stuff anyhow.

kR1pt0n1t3

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Sadly, I've seen some other translators completely fabricate enemy names... And still others who don't actually stop to think for a second if it sounds right at all. My own work is slow going, true. That's mostly checking and and testing; but also sometimes it's me being unwell.

I'll check out this game and see if I share the enthusiasm. Oh cool, it's Scale Garden. I like most of their stuff anyhow.
What are you working on? Are you doing a partial or full game translation?

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It's right there in my sig. I'm working on a full at the moment.

kR1pt0n1t3

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It's right there in my sig. I'm working on a full at the moment.
Ah, I remember that one...

I tried doing partial for it but after finding out how many images needed edit, I just gave up :)

OP
daede

daede

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Lol, the partial for this game was done by me like 2 years ago and shared on the forum.

The link is down though ever since they deleted my mega account.

EDIT:

And what's with the enemy name translation?

Envious Cobra? It's Forest Snake
Frakenised Bee? It's Assassin Bee
Ponderous Hermit? Demon Crab Hermit
Raging Bull? Wild Boar
Gide the Gilded? When it's supposed to be just Gide

Why make up these names?
I only used the colourful names in the Graphics translation, in the world they are referred to simply as Old Boar and Gide etc no appellation. As for why I used the colourful names at all, well there are 3 primary reasons...

1. The practical reason is simply that just as there are many translators who believe in translating as close to verbatim the original authors work there are others who are more interested in the essence of what they are saying. I do not see HRPG games as high art, I obviously have absolutely no problem with going off book as long as I feel the essence remains intact and often times I feel adapting the original work to enhance the fun or more closely speak to western creative writing norms or simply improve upon what is in many cases an original authors rushed and repetitive fill. By taking something harmless like the graphic for creature names and filling it with colour, albeit in the form of weak puns, I am hopefully making a statement to those who prefer a verbatim translation that they would do better to look elsewhere.

2. In this particular game I went for excessively silly names in the graphics instead of say the items or something else equally harmless as tribute to another translator from years back.

3. I personally find the combat mechanic in RPGMaker games lifeless and repetitive, I never played the JRPG's of the 80's and so lack the benefit of rose coloured glasses that it seems many others have and find the combat simply a chore. Scale Garden's combat system is definitely an improvement but it is still fairly dull in comparison to the old school RPG's I look back on fondly such as Quest for Glory or the TSR Gold Box games. Having colourful names not only makes the translation process a little more interesting but serves as a little reminder for me and hopefully one or two others that playing a game is meant to be just that PLAY and not work, not heartless repetitive grind. It also helps make the enemies themselves somewhat more memorable and interesting.

I have no interest in causing offense nor any interest in anyone trying to take offense, I did this translation solely because I noticed this translation thread and Slayersz giving up on it because it seemed so large and complicated. I thought why not take a day or two to get rid of all the complicated and messy stuff for them and or whoever follows them to make a full translation of this game as easy as possible. It also gave me an opportunity to play with the latest version of RPGMaker Trans and thanks to Libellule make some major headway with PowerGREP and automating much of the more repetitive aspects of translation. I have now done that and if anyone opens up my translation up in RPGMaker or runs it through RPGMaker Trans and gets a copy of my translation notes they will see that everything is set up for a very quick and easy full translation. A couple of hours a day and a couple of days a week and the entire story could be translated by anyone without any prior experience in RPGMaker or Moon runes in a month easy.

It would be so easy that I am contemplating doing it myself even though I despise working with RPGMaker's line limits because in case it is not blindingly obvious I enjoy playing with language; luxuriating in every syllable, twirling through the long limbed of it, trumpeting the brief of it and expostulating the majesty of every flourish no matter how tedious, for to my mad soul brevity is the witless duty of the ignoble twit.

P.S. if as gentle reader you have absolutely no idea what on earth I was going on about with that last sentence it was a bluntly forced bastardisation of a speech by Polonius in act 2 scene 2 of Shakespeare's Hamlet purely for my own amusement.

kR1pt0n1t3

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Did you copy/paste the last line or did you remember it and wrote it down yourself?

If it's the 2nd, then you're pretty amazing ^_^
No freaking way I would remember that weird ass line.

PS. I also don't think HRPG's are a higher art but I do still like for the translation to be as closely to the original as possible.

Hoboy

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

1. The practical reason is simply that just as there are many translators who believe in translating as close to verbatim the original authors work there are others who are more interested in the essence of what they are saying. I do not see HRPG games as high art, I obviously have absolutely no problem with going off book as long as I feel the essence remains intact and often times I feel adapting the original work to enhance the fun or more closely speak to western creative writing norms or simply improve upon what is in many cases an original authors rushed and repetitive fill. By taking something harmless like the graphic for creature names and filling it with colour, albeit in the form of weak puns, I am hopefully making a statement to those who prefer a verbatim translation that they would do better to look elsewhere.

2. In this particular game I went for excessively silly names in the graphics instead of say the items or something else equally harmless as tribute to another translator from years back.It would be so easy that I am contemplating doing it myself even though I despise working with RPGMaker's line limits because in case it is not blindingly obvious I enjoy playing with language; luxuriating in every syllable, twirling through the long limbed of it, trumpeting the brief of it and expostulating the majesty of every flourish no matter how tedious, for to my mad soul brevity is the witless duty of the ignoble twit.

P.S. if as gentle reader you have absolutely no idea what on earth I was going on about with that last sentence it was a bluntly forced bastardisation of a speech by Polonius in act 2 scene 2 of Shakespeare's Hamlet purely for my own amusement.
I understand your POV exactly - one has to enjoy and play with language to understand and appreciate it. Your interpretations are flamboyant and enjoyed in my opinion. Screw machine interpretations. I prefer over the top - (as long as they don't screw with the creators intentions and are just making the original more accessible to western culture)...

Last edited: