What's new

[Abandoned Full Translation] Crystal Story Awakening

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
So I did this mainly to test out my new Robotrans utility, and then the release of the game kind of snuck up on me. So the release is a bit rushed.

It's totally untested and I expect there to be some problems (i.e. text overflows). About 40% of the translations were done by Robotrans following some basic rules, which is where I expect the problems will arise.

What's translated: should be all the normal partial stuff, and the content from the demo.
What's not: Most other things.

Please: report any problems. I need to know about them so I can fix up the Robotrans utility before I release it.

Dlsite Link:
ULMF Game Thread Link: http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=28412
Translation Link:

As with all my work, it's an RPGMaker Trans patch. Please get that from my sig if you don't have it already.

My focus remains on Virgin's Protection Magic, but I probably will come back to this and finish it at some point. This game is really quite short in terms of content, so it shouldn't be too much work to finish it.

EDIT2: New version uploaded, and hopefully working. Bug caused by Robotrans copying over a bunch of newlines and messed up the scripts.
EDIT3: I'm aware of a lot of formatting errors, most likely due to when I was hacking the line limit down. I'll look into these when I have a chance. I'm also not sure why there's a lot of floating dots everywhere.

Final Edit: I'm officially abandoning this project. There's a few reasons, but the main reason is Shota content in the full game which I was unaware of (I actually hadn't seen every H-scene in the game until quite recently, and so was unaware of Mook's power mushroom scene) and a post on the author's blog showing an "Adult Tsubame" - the implication of which is that despite being describe in the game as "of age", Tsubame in this game is may not be an adult. Therefore, in light of the new information that has come about since the games full release (as opposed to the work I did which is predominantly on the demo) I feel that it would be unwise for me to further associate myself with the game for legal reasons.

If someone would like to take over this translation please get in touch and I can see about transferring my existing work over.

Last edited:

ToaruLL

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Re: Crystal Story Awakening

Just bought game on release, was not expecting a 3 day translation effort habisain you continue to amaze me, all the best on VMP and keep your health check you hear :p. Will post on any strange things if I find any here.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Just bought game on release, was not expecting a 3 day translation effort habisain you continue to amaze me, all the best on VMP and keep your health check you hear :p. Will post on any strange things if I find any here.
Actually I did this about a week before release (was talking about then) - and managed a 24 hour release, I think.. Not sure when it'll be completed though - a lot of things changed in the release version (e.g. some item names).

Also to add to the list of issues: Text for getting Gold is wrong (Should be "Got XG!", but currently "Got a X!"), text for resisting status ailment is wrong (Should be "X is unaffected", is "X is ineffective".)

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I know it's the most hated question, and I understand if you can't answer but what do you think is the ETA on when it will be released complete?

ToaruLL

Sex Demon
Reputation score

indeed just finished the game now was surprisingly short but enjoyable and yes the gold translation just pops up with the amount no G or Gold and there's a few instances of pop up save points having brackets shown... very minor but good job all the same

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I know it's the most hated question, and I understand if you can't answer but what do you think is the ETA on when it will be released complete?
It will be done when it's done. This isn't a top tier priority project for me at present, but it is quite short and has a high amount of repeated text strings, so it may end up being done earlier than I would otherwise think. But I've really got no idea when that'll be at present.

I'll see about putting up some progress bars when I can.

EDIT: Just ran my tools over it, and it looks like 43% of the game has a translation present at the moment. I think that means that if I (hypothetically) devoted all of my translating time to this game, it would take about 3 weeks. I have no idea how much time I am actually going to devote to translating it, and I am going to be busy during the next 2 weeks, so this figure is largely speaking meaningless. Although I'm not being entirely facetious about how long it would take either, even with my slow pace on VPM. The length of the unique strings in this game is about 96k, which is a good representation of the amount of work I need to do to translate it. The equivalent figure for VPM is about 710k, so VPM really is quite a heck of a lot bigger.

Last edited:

rizo

Reputation score

It will be done when it's done. This isn't a top tier priority project for me at present, but it is quite short and has a high amount of repeated text strings, so it may end up being done earlier than I would otherwise think. But I've really got no idea when that'll be at present.

I'll see about putting up some progress bars when I can.

EDIT: Just ran my tools over it, and it looks like 43% of the game has a translation present at the moment. I think that means that if I (hypothetically) devoted all of my translating time to this game, it would take about 3 weeks. I have no idea how much time I am actually going to devote to translating it, and I am going to be busy during the next 2 weeks, so this figure is largely speaking meaningless. Although I'm not being entirely facetious about how long it would take either, even with my slow pace on VPM. The length of the unique strings in this game is about 96k, which is a good representation of the amount of work I need to do to translate it. The equivalent figure for VPM is about 710k, so VPM really is quite a heck of a lot bigger.
Okay thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I understand it's a lot of work, I'm looking forward to VPM too. You really can pick the good games to translate. Regardless of how long it takes, try not to over exert yourself. Your health is the main thing :p

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I wish to know why people seem to be assuming I'm in bad health. That's twice now I've been told to look after my health. I'm in pretty good health, and I'm not going to work myself into an early grave or anything.

In any case, minor progress on the issue with the dots appearing: the bug in Robotrans that inserted newlines into the scripts also inserted them into a lot of other places, which are rendering as dots. So I'll be taking a little bit of time to try and diagnose the issue, because I do want to get Robotrans into good shape for release in a couple of months (see that! Generous self imposed deadlines! Not working myself into an early grave!). I've got some plans involving Robotrans, another prototype utility named Stitch, and as many partial translations as people agree to donate to an upcoming unnamed project. Utility of said project is pretty high, so I wouldn't want to delay it.

kai927

Reputation score

I wish to know why people seem to be assuming I'm in bad health. That's twice now I've been told to look after my health. I'm in pretty good health, and I'm not going to work myself into an early grave or anything.
At least around where I am from, someone telling you to "Look after your health" means "Don't overwork yourself." So, in other words, assuming that this is the intent, people are just saying to not work yourself so hard that you get sick.

cvonsuela85

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

In any case, minor progress on the issue with the dots appearing: the bug in Robotrans that inserted newlines into the scripts also inserted them into a lot of other places, which are rendering as dots. So I'll be taking a little bit of time to try and diagnose the issue, because I do want to get Robotrans into good shape for release in a couple of months (see that! Generous self imposed deadlines! Not working myself into an early grave!). I've got some plans involving Robotrans, another prototype utility named Stitch, and as many partial translations as people agree to donate to an upcoming unnamed project. Utility of said project is pretty high, so I wouldn't want to delay it.
I also believe it has to do with Mizuki, he worked himself into some health problems with his marathon translations sessions.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

At least around where I am from, someone telling you to "Look after your health" means "Don't overwork yourself." So, in other words, assuming that this is the intent, people are just saying to not work yourself so hard that you get sick.
Oh, that makes sense. Aspergers Syndrome means that I tend to take such statements a bit more literally than most.

I also believe it has to do with Mizuki, he worked himself into some health problems with his marathon translations sessions.
That's interesting. There's two main differences that I'd point out though:

1) Mizuki had a financial incentive with his Pateron, and that does weird things to peoples priorities; I'm not saying he was hard up or anything, but just the knowledge that he'd get paid if he did a certain amount of translating could distort priorities sufficiently. I'm not in that position, as I categorically state I do not seek donations for translations I do, so it's much easier for me to take a break from translations if required.
2) Kind of my entire thing is that I make tools to make translations easy to carry out, and won't touch games if I can't. Mizuki did not do this, and even tried to tackle horrifically complex games (e.g. Princess Sacrifice - just look at the complaints about spaghetti code and things breaking in Memory's translation project!) with just hacking using creators tools and code editing. So I suspect there's also an efficiency angle here; generally speaking, I do not have to wrestle with tools as much, and definitely not when I'm actually doing the translating.

rizo

Reputation score

Ahh okay didn't mean it in that way, none the less keep up the great work and I look forward to the finished work.

torkenstiem

Tentacle God
Reputation score

really appreciate the translation, very well done.

skyrider

Demon Girl
Reputation score

can somebody help me, the translation dont work:(

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It would help to know what you have done.

In general, getting support is much easier if you explain what you have done rather than just "it doesn't work".

skyrider

Demon Girl
Reputation score

first i decrypt it than wanted to overwrite it with your translation patch but dont know how, in other translation there were a data file, but i dont know how to use your translation:p

sry for my bad english

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

To quote the first post:

As with all my work, it's an RPGMaker Trans patch. Please get that from my sig if you don't have it already.
The RPGMaker Trans website includes detailed instructions on how to use it, although it's not much more than select the game in RPGMaker Trans, select the patch in RPGMaker Trans, click go.

skyrider

Demon Girl
Reputation score

follow the instruction but the game is still in japanes

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

You are running the game from the translated folder, right?

If not, try redownloading the patch and reapplying. If that doesn't work, open a bug report on the RPGMaker Trans website, detailing the *exact* steps that *you* took, as this is not the right place for tech support.

skyrider

Demon Girl
Reputation score

it works, redownloading help, thx habisain:D