What's new

RPGMakerTrans V3 Editor

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
For reference, the carriage return character \r is not used in RPGMaker. Heck, neither is newline, technically (RPGMaker has each line of text in a separate command). What you're seeing is Windows requiring the addition of redundant characters. In any case, it's fine to omit \r and \n from line counts, or just subtract 1 from the counted length of the line.

In general, the convention for RPGMaker commands (as represented in RPGMaker Trans) is \\COMMAND[ARGS]; \\name[CHARACTER_NAME] is probably a special command specific to some games defined in scripts, with \\name being used to set a name in a non-standard location (e.g. above the dialogue window) or perhaps with non-standard printing behaviour. However, there are also commands in RPGMaker itself, e.g. colour change e.g. \\C[4]. Unless you actually have some kind of extensible interface, it's impossible to know which commands output text and which commands don't. Hence you'll probably have to put up with the line lengths describing the length of the string rather than the length of the printed text.

(I am working on a multi-font aware extensible typesetter, which will eventually find it's way into JapeTrans (new name for RPGMaker Trans project) but that's beside the point. It's one of the things I need to get working if I want to enable nice fonts in translations, rather than the abomination that is UmePlus Gothic's Latin character set. Suffice to say, if time isn't a pressure, don't worry too much on accurate typesetting; sooner or later it'll be possible to do it automatically.)

Last edited:

Etory

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Is it possible to implement a function so you only have to translate lines [starting with a name] only once?

Maybe automatically copy [the line] inside translated field and then have function find&replace in all files.
Actually kR1pt0n1t3, I think I have just the tool you need. I call it Line Copy: check it out , the password is TO0lF0rU1mF100%

It's a script and a regular expression I wrote for notepad++ early this year to do exactly what you described. I've shared it with ewn already and he's made good use of it too. And since we've got some strong programming talent in this thread, maybe it can be made even better. Let me know what you think.

sniper709

Lurker
Reputation score
Where can I download RPG Maker Trans v3 ?
Please send me link for it.

OP
E

emmaus

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Where can I download RPG Maker Trans v3 ?
Please send me link for it.
download the latest from here

it will soon be released as Japetrans. the application will still be compatible with the V3 patch format, and i may extend to support the upcoming V4 format.

OP
E

emmaus

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I will be starting a few translations of my own, and they will all be created with this app, and applied with RPGMakerTrans/JapeTrans. no data folder will be uploaded.

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
download the latest from here

it will soon be released as Japetrans. the application will still be compatible with the V3 patch format, and i may extend to support the upcoming V4 format.
Indeed, JapeTrans will be able to read the old V3 Patch format - although it won't be able to write it; part of the reason for the extensive rewrite of RPGMaker Trans into JapeTrans is because huge areas of the code can be described as a can of worms, and all the code about the patch format is one of these. That said, the old RPGMaker Trans releases won't be going away any time soon, so using them is always an option if V3 format patches are absolutely required.

All things considered though, I would be surprised if adding support for V4 (or rather, Japetrans V1) patches was that hard. There's some different handling of escape characters, but that's only relevant if you're actually handling escape character in the first place (which I don't know; I tried to run the last release to check, but it fails badly when run under Linux). There might also be a change in handling lines with many contexts (prompted by seeing squark 's plight in his Lily Akos translation, where the author copy/pasted one dialogue about 300 times, resulting in thoroughly unworkable patch files), but this will is unlikely to result in any new syntax. Oh, and there'll also be some more advanced configuration files, but those won't really need any special support in an editor.

Indeed, over time JapeTrans will probably make things easier. I'm hoping to be able to get typesetting support into it in a later release, i.e. you wouldn't have to worry about inserting newlines in dialogues, you could just let JapeTrans do it automatically for you. This is mainly so it becomes easier to move away from using fixed width fonts, but it seems it would be useful here as well.

sniper709

Lurker
Reputation score
This error on any patch I'm trying to load
Patch created with RPGMakerTransv4.5
Log
Code:
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Actors.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Armors.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Classes.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Commonevents.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Enemies.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\GameINI.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Items.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Map001.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0

OP
E

emmaus

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
This error on any patch I'm trying to load
Patch created with RPGMakerTransv4.5
Log
Code:
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Actors.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Armors.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Classes.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Commonevents.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Enemies.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\GameINI.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Items.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
D:\Dress Quest_patch\patch\Map001.txt failed to load. Incorrect patch version. Version detected:0
what is the first line in those files?

OP
E

emmaus

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
> RPGMAKER TRANS PATCH FILE VERSION 3.2

Patches I tried to load.
i tried opening them, and no error occured. check to see if you have read permissions to those files. also try moving the folders to other drives and test.

sniper709

Lurker
Reputation score
i tried opening them, and no error occured. check to see if you have read permissions to those files. also try moving the folders to other drives and test.
I found a bug. It not work on Windows 10 and Windows 7 with Russian system language.
It work with English system language.

OP
E

emmaus

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I found a bug. It not work on Windows 10 and Windows 7 with Russian system language.
It work with English system language.
you talking about the app not running at all on those platforms, or the app cannot read some of the patches.

sniper709

Lurker
Reputation score
you talking about the app not running at all on those platforms, or the app cannot read some of the patches.
App cannot read all of the patches on Win 10 and Win 7 with Russian interface language.

OP
E

emmaus

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I would try and fix it. for now, use english locale when using the app, or use a locale emulator to run it. I am on Jap locale with english, and i have not had that problem