What's new

[WIP - Partial] Knight of Flame, Lily Akos: 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
ULMF Thread

Given the imminent release of this game, I thought it'd be fun to do a partial for it, Hence I'm working on a quick partial for Lily Akos 2 in my usual way - start on the demo, scale up into the full release via RPGMaker Trans.

One thing I'm not sure on is how much work I have to do, at least until Squark responds to my request for collaboration. RPGMaker Trans is rather good at hopping translations from one game to another, and a quick analysis suggests that if I'm allowed to use Squark's translation of Lily Akos 1 as a starting point, I can get at least 840 strings translated "for free", and with the added benefit of keeping terms consistent for people who have played his translation. (Combining my own translations into the boiling pot yields another 1000 automatically translated strings, but these are mostly bits of boilerplate common across all RPGMaker games).

Hopefully I'll be able to get the partial out soon after the games release - but again, this will depend on how many differences there are between the demo and release game.

EDIT: Squark has given me the thumbs up, so I guess this is go. I'll get some progress indicators going once I get some sleep.
EDIT2: Cancelled due to Yugifan3 trying to discredit my work in forums which I do not take part in.

Last edited:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Progress meters on this patch:

Actors: U:3, C:3, T:1, P:33%
Armors: U:251, C:251, T:124, P:49%
Classes: U:10, C:10, T:8, P:80%
Enemies: ~Done~
GameINI: U:1, C:2, T:0, P:0%
Items: ~Done~
Scripts: U:1877, C:2799, T:1756, P:62% # Misleading, as some strings don't need translating
Skills: U:823, C:1011, T:360, P:35%
States: U:63, C:80, T:58, P:72%
System: U:79, C:90, T:79, P:87%
Weapons: U:214, C:221, T:125, P:56%

I'm aware Yugifan3 has started his own patch for this as well, which seems like wasted effort to be honest. But whatever.

Last edited:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
odrosu While I appreciate the sentiment, this project is now cancelled. Yugifan3 decided to start over with his topic, and I don't necessarily blame him for doing so, however I'm going to go ahead and put an account of what happened here, if only just so that there is a record of it.

Yugifan3 PM'd me with some messages that came across as being arrogant and rude, although I accept that this may not have been his intention. Regardless, in these messages he insinuated that my work was "kinda bad" and that multiple people had said they would rather have his own partial translation than mine. No evidence was provided for this, other than some "research" he had conducted on what I assume is his discord channel which was a negatively worded question on whether or not my work was any good. Not surprisingly, given the bias on the question and the fact that people on Yugifan3's channel tend to like, well, Yugifan3, people jumped on board and said my work was not appreciated. Obviously, I am not impressed by such infantile behaviour as discrediting my work in a place where I do not post and then presenting evidence to me that everything I am working on isn't appreciated; to me at least, this comes across little better than the popular kid at school going "Nyah-nyah, I'm better than you".

In normal circumstances, I'd probably just blow off what Yugifan3 said. However, it's part of a general trend I've observed here on the ULMF H-games forum, where the atmosphere has grown more and more toxic. People used to just not comment when they saw something they disagreed with, now it seems that expressing negative sentiment is the norm; even in Yugifan3's partial translation thread, someone felt the need to disparage the quality of Squark's full translation of Lily Akos 1, which I had used for some of the translations. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of this development. Maybe I'm just getting old, or just don't have a thick enough skin, but it's really getting to me. I just don't have time for this crap. For my own sake, I need to limit my interactions on ULMF. Hence this partial translation is cancelled; I do not have the inclination to do it in such a toxic environment.

Apologies to anyone who wanted a version consistent with Squark's, but as I said, I just don't have time for this kind of crap any more.

Regardless of what you think, please do not post on this thread. In the event arguments start here, I won't hesitate to get the thread locked.

D187Bot

Demon Girl
Reputation score
odrosu
Yugifan3 PM'd me with some messages that came across as being arrogant and rude, although I accept that this may not have been his intention. Regardless, in these messages he insinuated that my work was "kinda bad" and that multiple people had said they would rather have his own partial translation than mine. No evidence was provided for this, other than some "research" he had conducted on what I assume is his discord channel which was a negatively worded question on whether or not my work was any good. Not surprisingly, given the bias on the question and the fact that people on Yugifan3's channel tend to like, well, Yugifan3, people jumped on board and said my work was not appreciated.
Something something my work is superior even though its illegal but I'll take credit for it and take in money for what I do something something

Any translation is a decent translation man don't let someone harass you, if you like doing it then keep doing it. This shit would be stupidly funny if yugi starts thinking he should be making TLs over other people or if he starts claiming he has the rights over certain games...

edit: Pretty sure his intention was to tell you to fuck off since he made a thread a hour ago, meaning he was working on it already while talking to you.

Last edited:

cavecricket48

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Oh jesus.

Sad that you're dropping this. Honestly I would've kept going just as a middle finger, this is beyond immature for him to insinuate "my translations are better" bitch what the fuck are you on, a translation is a translation and if it gets the job done, is there really a point to preferring one person's work to another?

I digress. I hope a mod gets on this.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
D187Bot cavecricket48 I used to agree with you, and maybe if I were younger I would have just ploughed on. But the simple fact of the matter is that no matter what else, Yugifan3's actions were hurtful to me. As soon he sent me the PMs where he showed he was disparaging my work in places where I cannot defend myself, this stopped being a fun side project for me, and that's the point where I have to stop and reconsider things.

As for Mods? I don't think the mods would care. Mods in the H-game section only intervene when there is a massive flaming argument or illegality. Most of Yugifan3's actions are not on ULMF, and I've backed down and I've explicitly stated I don't want to turn this into some argument because I'm just fed up of the entire thing. The H-game section does not have any real kind of community to protect; most of the people here only come to pirate games, not to discus stuff. The only reason why a mod might intervene is if I start sniping Yugifan3 (which I'm not ruling out; if he denigrates my work and my tools, then I think it's an entirely justified comeuppance if I use my tools to highlight the failures of his approach e.g. the amount of time he's taking, or the lack of spellcheck - although perhaps this is too petty).

cavecricket48

Sex Demon
Reputation score
The only reason why a mod might intervene is if I start sniping Yugifan3 (which I'm not ruling out; if he denigrates my work and my tools, then I think it's an entirely justified comeuppance if I use my tools to highlight the failures of his approach e.g. the amount of time he's taking, or the lack of spellcheck - although perhaps this is too petty).
"Too petty" after he more or less calls you bad at what you do is not a thing.

jello_pudding

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Dang, sad to hear, it looks like you were well ahead of his efforts too so we might have had a partial by now if it wasn't for the drama.

cavecricket48

Sex Demon
Reputation score
As soon he sent me the PMs where he showed he was disparaging my work in places where I cannot defend myself, this stopped being a fun side project for me, and that's the point where I have to stop and reconsider things.
Also, those PMs are part of the site. In THEORY if he keeps up the douchebag act, you could probably nail him for those.

But, again, it's up to you to pursue that route, and also up to him to be dumb enough to keep going with it. You could provoke him and see what happens (Popcorn flies off the shelves these days)...

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score
habisain said:
someone felt the need to disparage the quality of Squark's full translation of Lily Akos 1
I was going to post a rant about this, but I don't have the time or inclination to rise to trolling.

Last edited:

Rrezz

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Sorry to hear that Habisain. I personally always enjoyed your work. And honestly I never cared for Yugifan3, that guy acts like he's the king of the translators and he's not. He's one of the main reasons I stopped enjoying making partials. Most of the time when I make a partial it'll be for personal use only.
Anyways, thank you for the work you've put in in the past.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
"Too petty" after he more or less calls you bad at what you do is not a thing.
I sort of agree with this sentiment, but just because I feel Yugifan3 has been rude to me, there is no need to return the favour as it were. I think I'll settle for posting factual accounts should things start up again - although that might be going too far as well. My posts on Yugifan3's thread which were largely factual statements have been mod-deleted, which is something I sort-of agree with (that thread is about Yugifan3's translation, not why I cancelled mine), but I do not know if I personally stepped over the line or not. After all, I am not an uninterested party in that discussion, and so I suspect even if I try to be factual, there will be some bias in what I say.

And for all the other comments which I'm not going to quote in the interests of space and the fact that multiquote doesn't appear to work well at the moment: While I appreciate the positive sentiment here, I think it's time to draw a line under this thread. After all, it is now a thread for a cancelled partial translation. Given some of the comments (here and in PMs) there might be a discussion to be had on the ethics/conduct of some members in the partial translation scene (in a broader sense, and not just this particular incident), but I don't feel like this is the time or the place to have that discussion.

Anurabis

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Something something my work is superior even though its illegal but I'll take credit for it and take in money for what I do something something
Sorry if this can be considered necro but I just stumbeled upon this and couldn't let this one stand. While I can not stop you from bashing on people I can call you out for straight up lieing.
Yugifan3 hasn't taken money for any of his translations even once and you implying that is, no matter how much you dislike Yugifan3, a lie and wrong.

Last edited:

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score
While I can not stop you from bashing on people
You do see the irony in your statement, right? Unabashedly calling someone a liar - or a serial liar as is implied in this case - is also bashing.

My only issue with y3 is that he seems to more or less advocate bashing of other translators in places they can't defend themselves. I know I'm by no means perfect. I won't even try to tell anyone I am. I just take the time to make sure what I have done works and flows properly.
He could have let it go and just accept it as an option for others, but no - he chose to attack in the most cowardly way possible.

I have nothing against you, though. That seemed more like a ragepost than anything else.
Here endeth this post.

kR1pt0n1t3

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Truth be told, I was never a fan of yugi's partials. He always rushed partials just so he is first to release it and take the "glory".
I don't think he never did partials because he liked doing it but because of the "fame" and "praise" he got for them.

As soon as a game came out he would make a thread and announce he was working on a partial.
To him, this meant that no one else could to do a partial for this game.

Due to this, his partials were always half-assed and bad(IMO). He also refuses to use RPG Trans program which is by far the best program there is for translating games. Not only does it allow you to merge different translations that have same string, lowering the work you need to do, it also provides with a way to apply the translation to a newer version with just a click. Not to mention is lowers a number of bugs you could get from copy/pasting everything for every version. Rpg Trans isn't perfect but with some workarounds for some of the problems it has, it's absolutely amazing.

I remember when I started playing one game and made my own partial for it. Ofc being as I am, I uploaded it to the forum just in case someone else wanted it.
There was already a thread about it and the guy(I think it was Rrezz) that was doing it was mad about me doing the translation for the game because he already announced that he was translating it. This never happened to me with yugi but I kinda get the impression just by reading some discussions that he would do the same thing.

My own policy always was and always be if you see something you don't like in translation, fix it yourself :)

When it comes to translation, I have some of my own preferences. If it's just a few things that I think are wrong, I usually just fix it for myself and don't share it.
But if the whole partial is half-assed, I just usually made my own partial for it the way I like it and share it.

I think you should do whatever you want to do.
You shouldn't care if someone is doing or already did a translation for some game.

If someone is being a stuck-up bitch about something, just block the person and move on.
There is no point wasting energy on people like that.

I hope you change your mind about doing partial for this game.
In my mind, you're ten times better person and translator than he is and I would always take your partial over his.

Wish you all the best.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
kR1pt0n1t3 Three things. While putting someone onto an ignore list would mean I did not have to deal with them, it also means that there is another place where they can talk down my work without me being able to defend myself. So in my mind, it's not a particularly smart thing to do.

Second off, I quit this project because after finding out what Yugifan3 had been doing, it just wasn't fun any more.

Thirdly, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but to the best of my knowledge Yugifan3 does not read this thread. Hence I would request that you do not talk down his work behind his back. If you have problems with the quality of his translations, please inform him directly. Even if this is basically what he did to me, there is no need to do it to him.

YllariusCroceus

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
What are we three? First: Yugi wasn't bashing you 'in other forums' (Assuming you mean the translator discord). While you were talked about, it wasn't as bad as you make it out to be. Mostly about people not really caring for RPGtrans, and frustration at the slowness of some of your work. (To which, as I stated in the discord, translators don't owe other people anything.)

There's absolutely no reason to get so /butthurt/ about this, or any of the other drama you guys always get into. Do your partial because you enjoy it. No one gives a fuck if someone else is doing one. No one cares how good or bad it is. Just stop.

Some people Like Yugi's partials, some don't.
Some like your partials, some don't.

Who gives a shit? Do what you do and stop being so concerned with what other people are saying. Ya'll act like a bunch of children for chrissakes.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
YllariusCroceus You are entitled to your opinion. However, when Yugifan3 showed me what he had said in the Discord, he was blatantly talking down my work on RPGMaker Trans - I have no idea how you could come to any other conclusion. Further, he had gone out of his way to do so. Also he presented the results to me in a frankly rude manner. I won't speculate as to why he did this.

Further, please note that my previous post actually defended Yugifan3's work from kR1pt0n1t3's remark.

Status
Not open for further replies.