What's new

[WIP - Full] [Sweetsprite] Forest of Abyss 2

Danielwain

Demon Girl
Reputation score
FA.jpg
Game link:
General discussion: https://ulmf.org/forum/hentai/hentai-games/1741654-sweetsprite-forest-of-abyss-2
How to install: https://ulmf.org/forum/hentai/hentai...pply-a-partial

This game is not completed, as of yet. The current version will be updated over time and I will update the translation, if anything worth noting is updated (in other words, I will get to work when new scenes are released, not when there's an update for gameplay and stuff like that). The current translation should cover all of the scenes, though I'm not done testing it. If you run into any errors or find some bad phrasing (clunky sentences, grammar errors, wrong name etc.), just post a reply to this thread and I will do my best to fix it. Some things (intro) couldn't be translated, since those are stored as images and can't simply be edited, at least I don't know how. Shouldn't be much of a problem. Apart from that, the main game should be completely translated, at least the release version. Be warned that this version may conflict with future releases.

Translation link .rar:

Translation link folder (in case anyone else has the same problem as tacarbuncle):

Look below if you want to know how to translate some missing text from a file that can't be moved, apparently.

I left the translation of future updates to @ValentineMeikin and you can contact them for any questions about future releases.
Please ignore the (mostly) outdated information, just kept it there in case someone wants the old translation, for whatever reason. Either way, I'm working on this again. To my knowledge the game is mostly complete, meaning no new scenes will be added. The translation is behind, seeing how I had to start over a few times and had some trouble with the whole situation being what it is, work and so on. The current translation covers the second town and roughly half the scenes. Just take the data.zip attachment, move it to the www folder in the game folder, unpack it and it should run. Get back to me, if anything doesn't work.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
D

Danielwain

Demon Girl
Reputation score
The Optional file does not work. It says that the game cannot read something.
It can't seem to be moved to another game, apparently, though I have absolutely no idea why. Only seems to be a problem with the newer version. I'll remove it from the download, I'm afraid these files differ between versions, so it wouldn't be very useful if I attached a clean plugins.js. You might have to re-install the game, if you don't have a clean copy of plugins.js.

If anyone is bothered by the untranslated stuff and wants to fix it for themselves, you just need Notebad++. Edit plugin.js in game directory www\js with Notepad++, rename the missing ones however you like. Just use ctrl f to find these menu texts and replace them with the replace option, that should do the trick. The missing menu texts should be thus:
"シーン回想" is the scene recollection menu.
"クエスト" is the quest menu.
"ジョブチェンジ" is the job change menu.
Finally, in the job menu, there's the option "戻る", this just means you don't want to change your job.

Last edited:

tacarbuncle

Lurker
Reputation score
I still can't unzip the file. I don't get why. I can unzip ANY other file, but this one errors on me every time.

Edit: I ended up getting a friend to download it and send it to me via dropbox.

Last edited:
OP
D

Danielwain

Demon Girl
Reputation score
I still can't unzip the file. I don't get why. I can unzip ANY other file, but this one errors on me every time.

Edit: I ended up getting a friend to download it and send it to me via dropbox.
I really don't know what would cause this, it's a rather strange problem. I added a link to the folder to the first post, in case anyone else has this problem.

Neosuduno

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Firewalls can interfere with download, as can some anti-viruses.

Neosuduno

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Newest version is out, hope the translation will come soon too.

OP
D

Danielwain

Demon Girl
Reputation score
I'll take a look, though the next release might take a lot of time, depending on how much I can just take from the old version without further editing. Worst case, I'll have to start over and copy-paste tons of paragraphs. Not difficult, but really tedious and annoying. Also a bit busy irl, so I'll probably only be able to get to it on weekends.

Stiltzkinator

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
It's a shame that RPG Maker Trans isn't compatible with MV games, because that is exactly what you would need to cut down on the tedium of switching versions.

In the meantime, there's the option of translating ONLY V2 content for V2? Makes things a bit more cumbersome for the player, and shared things like the items and skills would have to still be copied over, but it would potentially cut down on redoing all of the V1 maps. Still not an ideal solution. There has to be a better way to handle it...

OP
D

Danielwain

Demon Girl
Reputation score
There should be, but so far, I haven't really found any solution, though I might be on to something. Same problem as with Card Quest 2 and its update. If I try to continue with the old version, it's almost guaranteed to crash and burn because of minimal changes. I'll still try it, wish me luck.

OP
D

Danielwain

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Working on it, ironing out the crashes and all that. Then again, by the time I'm done there will probably be a new update already...

mromegazz

Lurker
Reputation score
probably nothing major for a few months or whenever chapter 3 is added.

OP
D

Danielwain

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Sorry it's taking so long, but it's a crash party. Even one wrong character can make the game say good night. That makes carrying over the old translated stuff very difficult. Most of the maps also have small differences, so I'll have to translate everything again while checking my original translation to make sure the text wasn't altered. WinMerge does a little bit to help, but if there's one difference in the code surrounding the actual text output, it becomes useless as well.

Stiltzkinator

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Something I noticed just playing the game is that it's not exactly a paragon of flawless optimization. Don't get me wrong, it works well enough, and would that I could, I don't think I can claim to be an expert myself; what I'm saying is, it doesn't surprise me that the game is easy to break, as it feels a bit fragile even before you start messing with it, due in part to how complex some of the behind-the-scenes events are.

Happy for any progress you make, but I'm keeping my hopes in check until the game is ostensibly done, since that will mean a lot less repeat work for you.

OP
D

Danielwain

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's really worth it to keep working, for the time being. The next update will most likely give me another headache and hours of copy-pasting, since the code is experiencing some minor updates every time as well. That makes the copy-pasting even more of a bother. The game did get a poor optimization, also seen in the load times and such. The status effects couldn't be simple status effects either, they had to be strings of events. Kind of nice with the additional cg, but overall unnecessary, in my opinion. Oh well.

I'm not sure if I'll keep working on merging the versions, considering I'd have to go through ~70% of the maps again and copy-paste, praying I don't break anything. Doesn't seem like a very worthwhile endeavor, while the game is still being worked on. Think I'll just opt for the partial route instead, as I did with CQ2, at least until the game is finished.

Neosuduno

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I hope you will do a full of the full game. I have seen people say they would and then stop on a partial.

Reputation score
I'm thinking of doing a translation of my own in October, after they've finished with what is happening with 3.x.x

Among other things I'll be doing is decreasing the font size so that there's more space for the english text, since your translation shows that there are some parts where you'd need more lines for the same amount of text.

Something else I do with translations for RPG Maker games is that I am using the engine itself, rather than an outside program, which should avert most of the bugs.

OP
D

Danielwain

Demon Girl
Reputation score
You're free to take it over, if you'd like, as long as we aren't working on it at the same time, since that would just be a waste of time if we did. You can just use anything I published so far and maybe an update as soon as I upload it. Or I could just finish it as soon as it's done, whichever you prefer.

It'd probably be better to just separate the sentences, that was just some optimisation stuff I didn't take care of yet.

That's certainly a possibility, it's just that copy-pasting and finding the exact places where the sentences belong can be a bit of a chore that way, in my opinion.