Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm making a Furry game! (Or trying to anyways!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boredbirdy View Post

Oh, I see what you mean. I didn't even realize the EXE was a package, normally that part is encrypted... Hmm...
    Hey, hope I don't step on any toes, but if anyone had issues with the file before, try the package I'm making now. I doubt it, but it might be the key here depending on what each antivirus is looking at...

Edit: Yeah, must be a false positive because it's encapsulated. A lot of anti-viruses don't like even trying to examine compressed architectures, especially if they're disguised as executables and can run like executables. That's just bad coding antivirus wise. Alright, I guess I'll leave this link up for anyone interested in trying it out.

https://mega.nz/#!hWhGBS4I!2eLKyh6ve...AofQaeK-BnbmjU
    Thanks so much for trying out some stuff dude, I really appreciate it! And you're right completely yeah the problem seemed to be that I was sending out everything as this encapsulated .exe rather than a compressed package; I suppose that shows my inexperience really, I saw I could export it as a single application and thought 'ooh, that'll save on clutter!' without realizing the error of my ways xD Won't be making that mistake again!

However, I've now got a new version up that has so far seemed to be working for people whom it triggered alerts for before; it's now packaged with the data for the game seperately after I found that to be an option in game maker, so it shouldn't (with luck) have those issues; furthermore, for any that did make it to being able to play it, the errors in the previous version have now been straightened out a bit more; the enemies were the most evidently game breaking so I've make some changes and fixes, and for the purposes of testing I've left the hitboxes visible this time; by the next version they'll be back to invisible but I thought it best for the moment when things still aren't 100% stable.

Similarly there are still a couple of game-breakers I can't seem to squash, most notably ones that occur when you try and start the game (Light_Controller issues with that) or a bug that I've hopefully fixed involving when the Rat enemy begins an animation of his; oh and unfortunately I haven't tackled the whole 'welcome to the game' text box repeating itself every time you walk in and out of a room yet I'm afraid. The knowledge I'd need to tackle that effectively is, I believe anyway, in the same ballpark as learning about how save systems work and how that data is stored and written; this is something I want to add in next to give some purpose to the safe room (you'll be able to save the game when you lie on the bed, you see) but from what I've seen I'm going to have to spend a few days getting to grips with the way it's done before I'll feel confident enough to begin implementing it.

Anyway though, without further ado:

https://mega.nz/#!tGAm2bRb!kYJR8D3Ms...pf5xQTdhF-JmoI

Hope that works for everyone! As usual anything you spot or want to suggest or anything like that, I'd love to hear your feedback ^^

----

Oh one last thing too, I have a patreon now for the game's development:

https://www.patreon.com/HornedLizardStudios

I realise it's a little premature to be putting it up now but I honestly don't expect people to want to help out until I have more concrete stuff down; I just wanted to mention it now that I've made it so that I can say I have done and get back to work!
    I'm making a Furry RoR Platformer!

sigpic

current updates are in this ULMF Topic:
    http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=29636

Also Blog here if anyone wants a look:
    http://hornedlizardstudios.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Oh no worries really, that should have occurred to me sooner, frankly speaking half the thread beat me to the punch on the theory - I just rendered the link and ran a one-off test. Had I been a bit less of a blur I'd have noticed it a heck of a lot sooner, I assure you (That's a fairly common issue, in all honesty.). Really it's a major fault with most security companies this day, a quick fix presumption that wouldn't really fit the bill in most any other profession by its margin short of perhaps a janitorial position. The whole "slap a bandage on it" maneuver~

If I'm not mistaken you should be able to set an immediate flag value within the game to fix the introduction dialogue box. Really it can be almost anything, you just create a sum and a checksum to determine if it should play. Once it loads, either add value, or set value to a boolean or something of that margin and then check for equal to or greater than (≥). If you can establish hit points, you should be able to establish something of this margin. For example, you could create a Boolean "Introduced" with a value of True or False. When you first load up the map that value would be checked, and would ring in as "False." As a result, it would then proceed to call the dialogue and display it. Otherwise, you'd establish if it checks and see the value to be "True", it would presume to either auto skip the dialogue (simpler but buggier method), or it would presume to not load it at all. All of this needs to be programmed, as it won't natively presume any of it, but it shouldn't require a save log tier fix. A save log would simply be a more permanent fix, wherein you wouldn't need to deal with it - even when closing out the application and running it again, or when starting a new game.

Make sense?

Just in case, here's some quotes from Barrey when I mentioned it to him...
      * "Make a global list/array of booleans and refer to it in the conversation engine"
      * Basically, the idea is: "get one list/array that can be accessed from anywhere"
      * It can be done in a multitude of ways (okay, I can only think of like, two right now).
      ** Having a persistent container object that holds the array, or having a global variable that holds the array.
      ** There's the variation where a list or a map is used instead of an array, but that's more on the functionality side.
      * Other than that? Yeah, every part is up to whoever has to implement it
      Last edited by boredbirdy; 7th December 2017, 20:00. Reason: Feedback from an actual programmer and not just a techy.
      So, utterly, bored...

Comment

Can everyone else post what anti-virus they're using?
        I use Trend Micro on the computer I run this on, no issues at all.

Comment

The control of your character feels a lot smoother than it did before, good job.
          As for the intro dialogue, you should be able to code a flag in the dialogue that tells the game that it doesn't need to play the message anymore once it's already been played once.

I don't always correct people's grammar, but when I do I can be a right ass about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatWeirdGuyWithaWeirdHat View Post
            The control of your character feels a lot smoother than it did before, good job.
            As for the intro dialogue, you should be able to code a flag in the dialogue that tells the game that it doesn't need to play the message anymore once it's already been played once.
            Thanks Weird Guy! xD

Yeah it should be a pretty simple fix shouldn't it; I honestly just started hitting F whenever it showed up when I started the level and it faded from my mind as something to fix! I'd attempted something of a similar nature to what you suggest on it but I think I made it dependent on variables which themselves reset with the room, and I'm still on the fence about whether to make rooms a persistent thing or essentially just restarting the level from a different position whenever you enter back into it, you know? If I did make it persistent I'd then need to learn about what's involved in the doing of that and such, not encountered that area yet in my learning!

But that is one of the features I want to have in the next big update, sorting all of that out and also giving a couple more rooms and area transition sorta things, so it'll be a great time to get that all down now that the movement and enemy AI is... passable, at least! I'm familiar enough with how it works programming wise now to be able to refine it at will at least, which is a good enough point to start focusing on other areas until I come back and sure it up with a new enemy!

===

I wanted to ask everyone a question too, O fellow forum-goers; at what point do you think I should consider making a post on the main 'Hentai Games' part of the forum? I'd like to do so at some point, and I mean a lot of those aren't finished games at all but contain some content to look at, but I don't know if what I've got thus far really constitutes enough to start making a fuss about it over there?

Most probably I'll try and wait until another larger update, like more of the level or another enemy or two added in, but... well in all honesty I'm excited, I wanna show people what I've been up to xD

But that's why I wanted to ask you guys, your advice has never failed me before!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunovrat View Post

at what point do you think I should consider making a post on the main 'Hentai Games' part of the forum? I'd like to do so at some point, and I mean a lot of those aren't finished games at all but contain some content to look at, but I don't know if what I've got thus far really constitutes enough to start making a fuss about it over there?

I'd say wait a little, iron out the bugs a little and add some more content. Another enemy or so (rule of three, after all) and some light polishing should be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Captainstarfish View Post

I'd say wait a little, iron out the bugs a little and add some more content. Another enemy or so (rule of three, after all) and some light polishing should be enough.
                Thanks Captain! Yeah I think you're right, I should put in that female enemy to give people an idea of what both sides will look like as it were; I shall follow your good judgement sir ^^

sigpic

Comment

I wanted to ask everyone a question too, O fellow forum-goers; at what point do you think I should consider making a post on the main 'Hentai Games' part of the forum? I'd like to do so at some point, and I mean a lot of those aren't finished games at all but contain some content to look at, but I don't know if what I've got thus far really constitutes enough to start making a fuss about it over there?
                  At least have a first playable level before that so people know what to expect. But hell, you could've just thrown your development in the games thread from the start and people probably wouldn't have give a shit.

I don't always correct people's grammar, but when I do I can be a right ass about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatWeirdGuyWithaWeirdHat View Post

At least have a first playable level before that so people know what to expect. But hell, you could've just thrown your development in the games thread from the start and people probably wouldn't have give a shit.
                    You do raise a good point yeah; only reason I didn't was to not waste people's time if I ended up not wanting to carry on with it, but by this point I'm in too deep to want to not do it! But yeah, definitely, the plan now is to get the first level done and dusted (Boss included) and generally get it into a state where the bugs at least don't make themselved apparent to you without looking, and I'll try it then!

sigpic

Comment

Is Dragunovrat alive?
                      Play this in my funeral.
                      Spoiler

Comment

Originally posted by Zepheral View Post
                        Is Dragunovrat alive?
                        I am!

Sorry for the absence, decided to take a bit of a break over the holidays to recharge and it's only been the last couple weeks I've been in the swing of animating again; I didn't want to post until there was something significant to show off but I didn't realise how long I'd left it xD

Progress goes well though, the break healed me up nicely and I've been working on the first female enemy animations so I can get her in the game ASAP! I'm also putting in a couple new areas to the level, including a pharmacy that you'll encounter her in, which led me to binge on background object making a bit xD

I'm attempting to upload a couple of pictures on here to show off but I keep getting "The attachment storage directory does not exist or is not writable." errors from the site; apologies for that, I'll have to come up with another way to put them in! But anyway, as I say work is going well if a bit sluggish to start off with, all I have to continue with now are the sex animations for her which always take the longest, and I'll be ready to post up another update ^^

So yeah, still alive, thank you for asking! I only wish I had more to show for it currently! xD

sigpic

Comment

I'm attempting to upload a couple of pictures on here to show off but I keep getting "The attachment storage directory does not exist or is not writable." errors from the site; apologies for that, I'll have to come up with another way to put them in!

I hope they're working on this, seems to be something users really want back in.

I only wish I had more to show for it currently!
                          Eh, take your time. Don't feel the need to rush it and break everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Captainstarfish View Post
                            Eh, take your time. Don't feel the need to rush it and break everything.
                            I pictured that being said with a flash back to all the failed projects and devs that have graced this forum, and a thousand yard stare. R.I.P.
                            So, utterly, bored...

Comment

I pictured that being said with a flash back to all the failed projects and devs that have graced this forum, and a thousand yard stare. R.I.P.
                              Now, now... No need to lose hope just yet.

Comment

I wouldn't worry so much about this one. While I usually expect projects to die, at the least the dev for this one actually seems to enjoy the work/content he's putting out which is a pretty positive sign.

Comment

Working...
                                X