Possible Remake of Jungle Girl

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Possible Remake of Jungle Girl

What bloody engravings have been carved onto the cancerous skin of the internet?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

this all means i'm going to have to do things again doesn't it?

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Hmm, isn't there a program that can pick flash games apart? Like what was used for the Krystal games?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

its a decompiler, but i'm not sure it would be appropriate for what we want to do.

E

Exofluke

I must say, that is probably one of the best first posts I've seen on this forum!
Can't say I've been here long enough to earn the same right, but I totally have to agree.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Is it just me or does the image on the last picture get a little...rough...around her legs after the tentacles finish? If it's just me, carry on. If it's not just me, constructive criticism?

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

I must say, that is probably one of the best first posts I've seen on this forum!
This.

I'd offer to pick up flash like Dark, I even have the program on my comp but we all know I'm a lazy bastard and flash seems kind of confusing to me.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Is it just me or does the image on the last picture get a little...rough...around her legs after the tentacles finish? If it's just me, carry on. If it's not just me, constructive criticism?
whatcha mean?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

I've started my newest adventure in flash for this, but work will be slow as i'm really quite busy these days.

why is it the less responsibility i have the more work i have to do.

MadHettie

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Has anyone seen that this guy came from /d/?
What guy? *bats eyelashes girlishly*

Thanks for the kind words! I exported another animation to .gif format for your enjoyment:

Alias said:
if you'll give me a walking Jungle Girl sprite sheet, plus a background and midground that is scrollable
I'll get back to you on these. ;)
What file format do you need? I don't have Flash; I'm just drawing everything in Adobe Illustrator. I wouldn't expect anyone to drop everything and get to work coding anything now, since I've still got a long way to go with the animations anyway. ^_^'

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

png would be best. Just to make sure, you know what I mean by spritesheet, right?

MadHettie

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I'm assuming it's just a file with all the different frames for the walk animation, right? If you can find a sample to show me I'd appreciate it; I'm actually kind of a noob when it comes to animation.:p

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

I log in today and find... these.... OH MY GAWD! FAPPING SO HARD WITH OUT CTRL!

*spooge*

I've had some experience with flash; though most of my animations were somewhat rough and never completed (it takes crap load of work). I recently acquired a program called "Flash Develop" - it's more code oriented than graphical (like Adobe's); and I've been meaning to find something to do that'd make it worth while to investigate.

I admit, I have exhibited cases of cowardice here in the past, and for that, I am ashamed. With these animations you have so lovingly bonded us with, I feel redemption is around the corner!

As for the sprite sheet question, might be a good source of reference for laying out a sprite sheet. Typically, you want to make sure that all of the animations in a sequence line up in a strip - similar to how the images in a film strip are lined up.

Considering the size and quality of your images, it might be best to break the images down into their individual components: put jungle girl on one sheet, and each of the tentacles on their own sheets. This will allow for some flexibility with the use of the animations, as well as making it a bit easier to layering.

Last edited:

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Screwdriver actually brings up an excellent point that I hadn't thought to mention yet. Basically it goes like this - if you animate the tentacles and JG separately, it's easier for you since you don't have to make separate animations for each combination of tentacles. It also cuts down on filesize (obviously). If you do make animations for every single combination of tentacles, it's easier on the coders as the only real code there is would be if this, then draw this animation. If not, if this, draw this (different) animation.

Up to you. I tend to want to err on the side of smaller filesize though.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

the thing about illustrator is that it SHOULD* import into flash directly which is the second best option (behind drawing it in flash). how i imagine i would be doing it is that i would just determine which whole animation needs to be playing by code and then do that, but as i think about it the ability to show/hide other animations within that would work pretty well within that. the specific ups and downs of doing a multi part animation that hides bits of itself and just more animations are really quite marginal (this might give a slightly smaller file size and be slightly more complicated but not necessarily harder to program) but i think this is slightly superior.

because that block of text doesn't make huge amounts of sense the two options are:
1. each animation is its own in its entirety:
up sides, allows for much more individual poses so that everything will be completely different
down sides, possibly more work for artist, more "clunky" code, increased file size
2. have base animations that other animations can be turned off:
up sides, less work on artist, cleaner code, lower file size
down sides, animations may become a bit generic as there would be a small handful of poses with a spot for a bad guy on each

anyway if we end up using any other form of sprite other than purely flash based file sizes will sky rocket.

*because adobe bought macromedia a while back they generally import into each other quite well however as I'm sure we all know, just because something should work in no way means it will work.

Cappy

Reputation score

*Drool* :E

Do want.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

progression continues, bare bones of the game are almost done (and i do mean bare...)

i would like to talk to you hettie about what you want done with this game. mayhaps we needs a design document.

E7N

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Its like peope just realized that its possible to do flash lulz.

well gl, and have fun.

MadHettie

Demon Girl
Reputation score

progression continues, bare bones of the game are almost done (and i do mean bare...)

i would like to talk to you hettie about what you want done with this game. mayhaps we needs a design document.
I've got some fairly specific ideas for just about everything, so drop me a PM or ask me here. I'm afraid I'm not online very regularly—I have a full-time job and sometimes get home quite late—but I'll definitely check this thread whenever I can.

As far as graphics go, I prefer any option that will decrease file size and make coding simpler. I don't think the quality will suffer significantly for it; the combos and position changes will keep things interesting.