X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Service Provider and Future Plans

Hi guys,

So over the past two days I have changed provider away from GoDaddy to DreamHost because they offer a VPS service, that essentially means I'm no longer sharing my CPU allowance with others. Performance levels remain to be seen, but I have high hopes.

The downside is that this is costing me a bit extra, and if I have to upgrade to a better plan than this one, it'll cost me quite a bit extra. I have therefore decided that the best and most sensible course available to me is looking into getting an advert for the site, to create a bit of income. If I can find an affiliate who is happy to do this, then we'll trial run the advert for a while and see how annoying it is.

If I can't find an advert solution, then whilst I'm broke I'll have to go back to asking for donations regularly.

Thanks for your patience while I made this move, and hopefully there are no technically issues with the forum as a result. If you do encounter anything, be sure to let me know in the Tech Support forum.

Cheers,

~Aika

Re: New Service Provider and Future Plans

Great job and keep it up. I'm sure we can rally enough people to stem this.

Comment

The ad you see at the moment is a placeholder for generating statistics apparently. In 24 to 48 hours my zone will appear on the actual ad market, and then advertisers will be able to purchase the ad space.

Comment

You could always use a CND service (there are free ones).

I use one on my own website to reduce site traffic by like 75%, I save about 2TB+ per month bandwidth, while using near 3TB.

Also saves cpu/ram by letting the CDN take care of several million "server hits" (over 55million is taken care by the CND, while the server totals a total of 60ish million).

Since this site is mostly text and tiny attachments, it would reduce the bandwidth/cpu/memory usage by an insane amount.

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!

Going to Comiket C93~

Comment

The topic of adds has come up before and I believe people were all cool with it to break even or buy us toys... or probably to make you a small payment for your troubles over these past many years... just not going all toonpimp on our asses.
          It's hard to take the high ground when you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Comment

Oh toonpimp :-)

You could hardly see that there was a site under all those ads :P

Comment

What's toonpimp? All I remember seeing were ads.... I found it curious how a website could be so dedicated to advertisement.
              shhhh i'm in your pantry, eating all your sugary foods.

OM NOM NOM!!!

Comment

I don't know. This ad annoys me already.
                The area where "page 1 of xxx" is displayed is much smaller than before, so you only can keep track of like ten threads until you have to go to the next page.

Also, what "toys" would you all want to buy from the ad money?

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidious View Post
                  The area where "page 1 of xxx" is displayed is much smaller than before, so you only can keep track of like ten threads until you have to go to the next page.

you can use things in firefox and chrome such as "adblock" or "noscript" it blocks ads if you do not like them.

Also, like mentioned this site could go CND, and lower their service costs greatly as memory and cpu usage from VPN service will go to near nothing to host this site (considering it is mostly all text based and few images). Many CDN services are free.

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!

Going to Comiket C93~

Comment

Originally posted by moogles View Post
                    you can use things in firefox and chrome such as "adblock" or "noscript" it blocks ads if you do not like them.

Also, like mentioned this site could go CND, and lower their service costs greatly as memory and cpu usage from VPN service will go to near nothing to host this site (considering it is mostly all text based and few images). Many CDN services are free.
                    Do note that adblock makes it so aika doesn't get the dosh from your visits and hits and whatnot.

Similar to what Obsidious was saying, though, my Thread Subscriptions thing now has pages. I preferred it without pages, so I could see all of the threads I owed replies to at one time. Can that be reverted or is there an option I missed somewhere or something?
                    Spoiler

ULMF's request thread. Ask for stuff there.
                    ULMF's game FAQ. Has info on how to run JP games and ISOs.
                    IQDB. Searches for images!
                    JDownloader, automates downloads from places like Megauplohwait.
                    Hikari are, iza susume!
                    Wear Sunscreen.
                    >>*The Shoutbox slaps some sense into GargantuaBlarg.*

Comment

Regarding the ads, are they pay per view or pay per click?
                      "RPG's aren't about problems, they're about having fun and watching your grimdark world devolve into Monty Python quotes."

Just a little teaser: http://pastebin.com/vGndFrvY

For truly it is written, RTFM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidious View Post

Actually the first is more a forum setting as to how many topics are displayed per page. In case people haven't noticed, the default forum posts per page has dropped as well (probably some settings screwed up in the move). Can probably be fixed easily enough.

Comment

Per click, so adblock isn't a big deal.

As for the number of threads per page, this was done so I could put the ad at the bottom of the page instead of the top, and it be less intrusive but still visible.

I'm still experimenting, and it might end up at the top and if it does I'll increase the per page limit again.

Comment

I think about the only issue I have with the ad is that (at least the one I'm getting) is that it's very NSFW. I understand that, given the site that we're on, getting something like "Christian Mingle" to advert with us probably wouldn't jive, but I scroll down and it's like "Hellooooo Penis!" I'm not morally or ethically offended by this (if I were, I wouldn't be here) but, well, I know some of the folks access this site from school or other places where, if the ad's on the screen, they might have issue.

That said, an adblock might be the way to go, but I might have to ask for a few recommendations (using firefox.) More, will it block on all sites or just ones I set, because, amazingly enough, there are sites I do want to see the ads on.
                            Behold my mighty dragons! (And help them grow!)
                            While you're at it, click here for boobies.
                            Help Unlock the Sexy spider lady
                            You know your movie is in trouble when Sean Connery in a wedding dress is the least silly thing about it.
                            Can someone please explain to me why there are 122 stories for PONG on ff.net?

Comment

I use adblock Plus, I believe, with Chrome. It allows me to put certain sites in a filter so ads can show. Like I said in one of the threads a week or so ago, it's how I make sure I can seem the on youtube to give all the indie video producers their ad revenue, as they have per view, not per click. If it's per click here, I might keep it up, as I never click on any ads for whatever reason. (Hell, if it's something I like, I typically google it rather than click). I've just had way too many run ins with viruses on otherwise innocent looking things to click on an ad.

Comment

Working...
                              X