Forum Pruning Imminent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Pruning Imminent

The forum's database queries are getting silly which makes my hosting provider want to charge me much more to use a private database rather than a shared virtual one. So I'm going to have to prune all the old posts, probably everything in threads that haven't been touched since 2012 or maybe even 2013.

If there's anything that you wouldn't want to lose if this happened, I recommend saving them to your PCs in the next week or so!

~Aika

Re: Forum Pruning Imminent

I'd like to suggest leaving the majority of our RP sections untouched if possible, at least in the ones that have the most traffic with all of us such as The EGG, Dark Gate, Planet of Pleasure and the like, as I do actually have to use a couple of the older EGG threads and Dark Gate threads that probably haven't been touched in 2+ years for references for a character or two in the ones I GM now and whatnot. Would be nice if we could keep all the rest of the archived RP's too, but if that isn't possible then please PM or let me know somehow before you prune whichever sections and I will make backups of all of those that you do prune to hold onto for anyone that might want those in the future for whatever purposes.
    Last edited by Mind Flayer; 28th May 2014, 22:28.
    Check out My Twitch Channel! I stream a variety of games on it on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, with the occasional stream on Wednesdays, but I try and keep it Wednesdays for a mid week rest day so on those days it's an, I'll stream if I feel like it kind of deal. I try to be as entertaining as possible, and I get salty at games often enough to be funny, at least I think so anyway.

Also check out my erotica novelette, Angel's Sin. There is an image link of my book cover to the Amazon Kindle Store page for it, so check it out.
    Spoiler

It's also on Excitica, which is an erotic book site.

Also check out my brother's sci-fi/drama novel. It's on the Amazon Kindle Store the same as mine, but obviously in a different genre of course. And also check out my Brother's Patreon page to check out all of his books, as he has quite a few on there now that he's written.

Comment

I have the history of events and characters in a simple notepad document for MGI. If anyone actually wants to save the threads, feel free to, because I don't precisely need them.
      Spoiler

Comment

Out of curiosity, just how much more would they charge you?
        If needed then perhaps our userbase could pool some resources to afford a private one, am not sure if it would also be a fix to all the random lag/downtime that happens.
        Aurani is a soft goth loli
        Fashion: ★★★
        Purity: ★★
        Lewd: ★★★★★
        Love: ★
        Strength: S-RANK
        https://en.shindanmaker.com/587089

Comment

We can always just delete the hentai section

On a serious note, I'd prefer it if the Dark Gate forum remains untouched, but if that's not possible for whatever reason I'll start backing up all of the important things.

I would also ask that you be careful when making the actual deletion. I don't think you're incompetent, but a lot of active RP threads were started around that time and I'd rather not have to recreate them from memory if the wrong checkbox gets clicked.

Also, the Blank Page. Lots of writing in there that would be lost, for probably very little space saved.
          sigpic
          Spoiler

Moar Pics for characters and stuff

Comment

Mhmm. The blank page threads are a fair example. How much of a time frame do we actually have here? Because a few people might well need an additional poke or notification to spot this message and go about saving any stuff they want to preserve. The news section isn't exactly something everyone checks daily. Does the forum give you any tools to send out a mass mail without too much hassle? As a kind of heads up?

Additionally, just to be sure, when you say...
            "threads that haven't been touched since 2012 or maybe even 2013."
            That means that long running threads that are still active will be left alone right? Or would any of the older posts in those threads be up for pruning too?
            ~ Right turn, wrong universe ~

Unknown Squid is the property of Nunu

Comment

A clarification on whether it's just posts or entire threads getting removed would be nice.

It would also be nice if we could leave the RP sections untouched, I know with the Despair Labyrinth RPs in particular, part of the entire point of them is to build up the world, so having the old threads publicly available for reference is kind of important.
              "Men can't use sex to get what they want because most of the time sex IS what they want."

Comment

The old Path of Ashes RP section can be nuke'd. It got a huge chunk of it nom'd the last time the forum went on the fritz, and most of the rulestuff I've either salvaged onto Google Docs or remade for the curious anyway.
                Spoiler

Most nonlurkiest lurker on the fourum(s) since 2004

Comment

I'd like to keep any RP and CYOA threads I've been involved in myself at least, as that's what I do for the most part on here and that's where the vast majority of all my posts are and I quite like my post count showing over 4,000 now. I also agree with Tass about the Blank Page that it wouldn't save us too much space surely by getting rid of it or most things in it, and some people use it for storing things on here for easy access with their RP threads or there are just short stories that people have posted for the fun of it.

The Everything Else sub-forum has the most aside from the Hentai section, and the only threads I ever see people posting in the Everything Else section are probably on the first couple of pages so a lot of that section could probably be cleared out without too many people worrying about their stuff... if I had to guess.

Edit: And hell if you want to make those of the Hentai section happy while nuking all of those old threads you could always take the most recent links for whatever games and throw them into a combined thread. Not that I truly care too much about what happens in the Hentai section of course, just saying. I'd say though that a lot of our problems are because the old version of Vbulletin we use is such a memory hog and the amount of traffic we've been getting lately.
                  Last edited by Mind Flayer; 28th May 2014, 22:48.
                  Check out My Twitch Channel! I stream a variety of games on it on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, with the occasional stream on Wednesdays, but I try and keep it Wednesdays for a mid week rest day so on those days it's an, I'll stream if I feel like it kind of deal. I try to be as entertaining as possible, and I get salty at games often enough to be funny, at least I think so anyway.

Also check out my erotica novelette, Angel's Sin. There is an image link of my book cover to the Amazon Kindle Store page for it, so check it out.
                  Spoiler

It's also on Excitica, which is an erotic book site.

Also check out my brother's sci-fi/drama novel. It's on the Amazon Kindle Store the same as mine, but obviously in a different genre of course. And also check out my Brother's Patreon page to check out all of his books, as he has quite a few on there now that he's written.

Comment

I sort of object to the pruning of RP sections. At least the ones that have had significant activity and long-running threads.

Comment

PRUNE EVERYTHING

WE START OVER FROM THE BEGINNING

NEW GAME+
                      Spoiler

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar View Post
                        We can always just delete the hentai section
                        Hey, it's not the section that's the problem, it's just... almost everyone in it.

...say, would deleting users work?

Comment

Originally posted by ToxicShock View Post
                          ...say, would deleting users work?
                          ...I'm not sure we've got enough swamp-lands or such available for that...

In all seriousness, if we just deleted the accounts, they'd probably just make up new.

Banning them might work... However, the traffic would still be there, and again, they might just make new accounts.

Pruning is, I think, at this point perhaps just a temporary solution to the problem. It might take going to the private database at some point, unless we get some manner of traffic reduction as well.

Comment

The only solution to removing the traffic is to destroy the hentai section. If we blow it up, then they will all vanish.

I'm joking
                            Spoiler

Comment

I agree on that older threads (especially in the Hentai Section) should be pruned. Also the Vanilla Hentai movies section could be nuked or merged with the other Hentai Movies thread and just create a [Vanilla] tag.
                              Quick! Someone call the icecream truck and fetch some vanilla! :V
                              ~ Unknown Squid~

Comment

Working...
                              X