What's new

Dark Gate OOC Thread

Hafnium

Despair Fetishist
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Grapple check, clearly. Stack 5x Grapple Expert and take Aggressive Fighting to dump 4d10 dodge into grapple for maximized raccoon touching.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Sure.

Everything in DG follows the same movement rules, including things that can be ridden. The mount gets its own turn, on which it moves under the same rules as anything else. It might also attack. Powerful charge doesn't have a maximum movement because it doesn't matter, the mount can double move, sprint, move full speed and attack, or anything else that includes it moving its full Speed if you want the bonus.

There isn't an actual rule for that, my gut reaction is that the weapon properties would stack additively and then be multiplied by Slay. I might change my mind on that later.

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score
What do I need to roll to touch a raccoon
Speed 60 and at least 200 in a grapple check obviously.
Sure.

Everything in DG follows the same movement rules, including things that can be ridden. The mount gets its own turn, on which it moves under the same rules as anything else. It might also attack. Powerful charge doesn't have a maximum movement because it doesn't matter, the mount can double move, sprint, move full speed and attack, or anything else that includes it moving its full Speed if you want the bonus.

There isn't an actual rule for that, my gut reaction is that the weapon properties would stack additively and then be multiplied by Slay. I might change my mind on that later.
I was asking cause Charge triples the MS of the person, if Powerful Charge does something similar or Mounts simply out do characters that much then I could drop Charge for now at least.

Okay, I wasn't sure because, I have a Massive Dragon Claw Two Handed Sword and it was going to be rolling 36d12+33 Damage and that looks like a excessive amount of dice. Not that 2d12 *5 (2+3)*3 for 30d12+33 is much better.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score
I got a question. When making something like a half-vampire, how do I calculate trade dice?

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
I got a question. When making something like a half-vampire, how do I calculate trade dice?
Half breeds get whichever of their component races had fewer trade dice at character creation.

Quote from the Part Breeds section of the races entry.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score
Crap. Somehow I missed that line, I sincerely apologize.

I've got another question, though. A human/vampire hybrid has a stat bonus of 8. Does it still qualify for extra talent for a flaw, or is it out? I believe this also determines whether you ignore scaling when taking Exceptional during creation as well, yes?

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Crap. Somehow I missed that line, I sincerely apologize.

I've got another question, though. A human/vampire hybrid has a stat bonus of 8. Does it still qualify for extra talent for a flaw, or is it out? I believe this also determines whether you ignore scaling when taking Exceptional during creation as well, yes?
No worries, I wasn't sure if that was actually written in the rules. The docs are dense enough at this point that missing things happen. I only tend to get annoyed when people ask a question that I've answered a lot before.

When determining that, you have to look at their total value including the value of Talents and Flaws worth Talent credit. Some mutations are kind of unofficially counted in that too, as is the case for vampires who get good Damage Reduction but also a penalty in the form of Daylight Weakness. Half vampires don't get Daylight Weakness, but their damage reduction is reduced enough that it's not an issue anymore. So, vampires have four Flaws worth Talent credit, two Talents, and 16 stat points. They total out to zero. Halving the stat points gives them 8, plus Healthy for 16 total value, and then three Flaws brings them down to -8, so yes they'd get the extra two Flaws worth Talent credit.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score
Say, I know that Death Whip uses the to-hit dice for power attacks, but what about weapons made using Shadows Made Manifest? Do they also use that, or do you roll as if they were regular weapons?

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score
I think the general rule is that it uses the same, since iirc the general idea is that pure spirit users can use it. Wouldn't make something for a class that's blatantly labeled: "You need to also be this side class to make it actually work."

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Quick question, I need a God who likely is to has a temple lost in Anudor. Using it for the reason that I'm in Haven.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Quick question, I need a God who likely is to has a temple lost in Anudor. Using it for the reason that I'm in Haven.
Any of them, really. Anudor had their own gods, but they're all gone or dormant now.

Rules changes!
Magic in DG4 got a lot cheaper now that all spells cost half as much, and quicken spell got changed significantly. Empower Spell and Glowing Presence also got changed, one cheapened and the other made simpler and slightly better.

Also, Skilled gives 4 skills now, Magic Feats gives 3 Feats, and Skill with Weapon adds a bonus to damage.

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Hola, wow this doesn't get traffic like it used to...

Another question, for a character sheet that will likely never make it onto the site and out of my G drive again, Magically Null makes it so you cannot use Magical Items, does this extend to items that activate automatically on Triggers too? I assume not but, to be sure and all.

Also is recharging said items possible with only one instance of the Flaw? As I've noticed that part is in the taken again section.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
I've been very lazy about this RP, yeah....

Magically Null doesn't say that you can't use Triggered items, so I suppose you can. You can recharge them with only one instance of the Flaw, yes.

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Addeum to that, I've noted that Thrown items can be enchanted as they are lumped into Weapons, is this on a Stack basis (IE, Throwing Knives - 5 - 10EP, 30 Mind, level 1 Reshape)
Or per knife in a Stack? (IE, Thowing Knives - 5
Knife 1 - 10EP, 30 Mind, Level 1 Reshape)
Knife 2-5 - N/A

Also for enchanted weapons, I have both Quick Draw and Death on the Draw on a 2-h Sword, if I do a cast on draw trigger for say Buffeting Winds (Utility) does that still only take effect at the end of the turn? Also would I be saddled with the 2x EP Cost for using a trigger in a manner that doesn't take a action?

Also I need a Mount recommendation for a human, 6 Riding/Animal Husbandry with 4 Lore on whatever it will be. Starting Point is in Amazonia as is birth place. Prefer something fairly outlandish. Actually is there any benefit or penalty for taking Large or above mounts?

Edit: Also noticed Casting doesn't appear anywhere on the Enchanting section as it's new that might have been skipped when it was added?

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Thrown weapons are enchanted as stacks.

That would take effect at the end of the round, and as you aren't explicitly spending an action on it you would have the increased cost, yes.

A horse? I haven't updated their stats in forever since it hasn't mattered, but I do intend for them to be Large. The penalties and bonuses from Large apply to the mount, but it doesn't cost anything extra from the character. That said, even in derpgens I frown heavily on trying to cheese for powerful things with the fluffy talents/flaws. People in Amazonia who want an exotic mount might get some variety of dinosaur-like beast, a giant spider, a drake, a roc, an elk, a griffon... The list of "theoretically yes" is fairly long. The list of what I'd actually be willing to give a player as an ally at the cost of one Talent is shorter and dependent on the fluff justification in their backstory.

I didn't go through the enchanting area when Casting was changed, I don't think. I'll get on it eventually.

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score
A horse? I haven't updated their stats in forever since it hasn't mattered, but I do intend for them to be Large. The penalties and bonuses from Large apply to the mount, but it doesn't cost anything extra from the character. That said, even in derpgens I frown heavily on trying to cheese for powerful things with the fluffy talents/flaws. People in Amazonia who want an exotic mount might get some variety of dinosaur-like beast, a giant spider, a drake, a roc, an elk, a griffon... The list of "theoretically yes" is fairly long. The list of what I'd actually be willing to give a player as an ally at the cost of one Talent is shorter and dependent on the fluff justification in their backstory.
More looking for things without a neck that work as a mount, as my Sword is Large and I really want to go swoosh swoosh, DEMACIAAAAA. With it, then for cheesing any mechanical benefits. Personally I was thinking a flightless beetle, but a spider can work too... does feel a bit cheesy if it keeps things like Web Shot though.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
A giant beetle would be fine too.

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score
And thus Dune the giant beetle was born.

Last question before I start the backstory, when does a armor fall into the not free category for creation? And if I what to modify it, such as removing EV on E. Warplate by paying denarii do I pay the full cost or the cost I'm adding onto the armor?

Also I'm assuming that unmodified throwing knives are free too?