OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: DTT: 5-player quickie Game On!

I know. I've totally schooled you, toxic. :p

re Hooker: It may seem that way in theory, but in practice, it does work out that both good and evil can take advantage of the role claims.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

so then why is it a necessity?

MMK

Lurker
Reputation score

tl;dr

Good game. I liekd teh storie

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

so then why is it a necessity?
If you're flipping coins to make decisions, then imo you're not really playing the game. It'd be like flipping a coin to decide whether you will bet or fold a poker hand - you're taking the player element out of the game, reducing the entire exercise to blind luck rather than player instincts and reads.

If you claim, you force people to lie. And I think catching people in lies, or at least making the decision about who to believe, is the point of these games - in addition to nice little stories about demon rape to add flavor.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Or you can use personal skills and deductive reasoning like a being. That's what I do. I only use the terms rolling dice and flipping coins to refer to chances. Even with role claims, you're still "flipping coins" and "rolling dice"

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Or you can use personal skills and deductive reasoning like a being. That's what I do. I only use the terms rolling dice and flipping coins to refer to chances. Even with role claims, you're still "flipping coins" and "rolling dice"
I think you're misunderstanding.. I'm not saying role claims solve all problems. Please, do use deductive reasoning and personal skills - of course you should! - but at least get some real info to work with first.

For example:

Toxic = Demon
plmnko = Sorc
Hooker = Destined Girl
MMK = Normal Girl
Syphon = GG

Let's say the three goods claim their roles. What do the two evils do to survive? They each claim a role. (The timing of the role claims can be analyzed: would the evils be clever enough to claim a role in the dark? or wait to counter?)
Let's say Toxic claims DG, and plmnko claims GG. MMK is now cleared by virtue of no one countering her role. Now who did syphon view? Who did plmnko view? Maybe Syphon viewed Hooker as Not Demon, meaning that if you believe Syphon, then Toxic must be evil. (Is he more likely to be the demon or the sorceress? He did counter the DG - someone good would be very hesitant to lynch.)

What if plmnko then says she viewed Toxic and says he's not the Demon? Then plmnko has managed to signal to her evil ally that she's the sorceress. (Which player was willing to share their view first? How contrived does the second view sound? In this case, plmnko's view perfectly robs the village of certain information by countering Syphon's view. MMK needs to deduce the more likely scenario.)

There are more things to deduce an answer from if more information (be it true or false) is out there to analyze.

tl; dr - There are more things to deduce an answer from if more information (be it true or false) is out there to analyze. Claiming in this particular role set would provide such.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

re Hooker: It may seem that way in theory, but in practice, it does work out that both good and evil can take advantage of the role claims.
Of course both sides can take an advantage. But in this particular scenario, the advantage for the evil side is much better.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Of course both sides can take an advantage. But in this particular scenario, the advantage for the evil side is much better.
I would disagree. I would also posit that without any stab at role gathering, good runs a greater risk of losing - mainly because if a universal role claim is done, a good can be cleared right off the bat. (2 evils can only counter 2 out of 3 goods). That puts the odds of a random lynch from the remaining 4 choices being evil at 50% rather than 40%. (and that's without the analysis of the views coming into play.)

There's also the cavalier possibility of the normal girl countering the gg or the dg before an evil can do so, and then after all 5 players have claimed, withdraw their claim so as to clear the special good role rather than just have the normal girl be cleared. (If this is done to the GG, then you could end up getting a trusted gg view.)

In face to face games with this roleset, claiming works especially well because you can claim really fast and demand quick claims from other players - giving evil very little time to think on their feet. (Obviously this is more difficult to do in an online forum.)

Last edited:

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

And this is why we started doing sdtt

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hidden role games (I'm assuming that's what SDTT is) don't escape the necessity of logic for good to win the day.

When I started playing mafia, I hated people who analyzed stuff the way I do now - but you play these things enough times and you begin to see a truth - that if you don't claim, the village is eventually going to stumble on to the same facts that you would have gotten with a claim, only they'll do it 2 or 3 lynches too late - with no chance for a mistake left.

MMK

Lurker
Reputation score

Anyone up for more?

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'd be happy to play an SDTT - maybe that'd make people feel better?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

NO! I AM CLOSE MINDED AND HAPPY!

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

See, here's the thing, I admit to that. But I don't think that's a problem. On my scale, that's the seventeenth step.