A Thief's Oasis (Hafnium) GMed by Takimaru

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Thief's Oasis (Hafnium) GMed by Takimaru

Ilias set his jaw and remained silent as Xara explained her circumstances in detail, briefly retracing her steps and experiences from her place of origin to Jadiram. If it was a guilt trip, it didn't appear to be working... but the bunnygirl's argument proved far more multifaceted than just that. Her emphasis shifted to survival, a means to an end, as many did with their trades in such a city. Risks were a given--chances were something that Xara had been taking since before the carpenter was even part of the equation. His eyes downcast, Ilias blinked twice softly and turned his head the other way. He had conceded the point for now, so it seemed.

"Um, yeah..." Yasmin trailed off, pointing with her gaze towards a trio of guards headed from down the street. At the head of their formation was a face that Xara somewhat recognized. It took a few seconds to put a name to the bearded, broad, stern features... Hashid? The burly man's fancy pauldrons and dual swords helped remind the Void Rabbit of his station as a captain of the guard. Worse, he had once given chase to the bunnygirl, and he might yet do so again if she didn't make herself scarce quickly enough or at least formulate a good excuse. Unfortunately, they were close enough that moving the cart itself would look rather incriminating, and the man who had been robbed was standing nearby, waving them over to the direction of Xara's stand.

Safiya immediately walked off in a casual manner, covering her face with her scarf as she did so.

"What do we do now?" asked Yasmin in a whisper. "I think Rabi can play witness, but..."
    Developer of Despair Labyrinth and primary GM of the PbP.

Comment

It would be.... Hasheesh? Hazoul? It would be the captain of the guard -- Hashim! That was it, right? -- who awaited her when she returned. Luck didn't seem to be smiling upon Xara that day. She had a tough choice. Either abandon the cart they'd worked on and all their treasure, hoping that Rabi and Yasmin could handle things, or come face to face with the man who'd chased her as a criminal. The former option didn't bother her much except that the buyer who'd been stolen from would surely remember it if one of the shopkeepers never returned, and of course it assumed that Yasmin and Rabi were capable of any level of deception.

The second option was less bad than it initially sounded, as technically the man had never seen Xara commit in an actual crime, he'd only come in at the tail end of her failure to pickpocket his cousin and then chased her about. She was pretty sure that the illegal things had only happened when he was out of sight and there were no other witnesses willing or alive to speak against her. She'd also been wearing her finer silk traveling cloak that time rather than the woolen cloak she'd borrowed from her companions specifically because her tribe's silk was too distinctive, and beyond that she was confident he'd never seen her face. It was at least possible that he'd not recognize her.

After a few seconds of thought she would hastily whisper her response. "We tell the truth. Mostly. We weren't the thieves this time, after all. He bought it, he walked away, and he got pickpocketed. Despite our best efforts to chase the thief, they got away. I'm willing to bet that few other merchants are as willing to put themselves in harm's way for their customers. Though, uh, if anyone else is on any wanted posters they might want to go ahead and sit this one out."

Unless the others had anything to add following her directions, Xara would casually return to her cart and await the questioning which would surely ensue. She just hoped she hadn't overlooked anything which could implicate her or give the captain of the guard a legitimate reason to arrest her.

Comment

"That guy has a good memory though," replied Yasmin. "I... can't let myself be seen by city official types--not ones like him. I don't know his relations with my father, so I'm not going to take this chance." With that, she did her best to blend into the nearby stall, leaving Rabi and Xara to man the cart.

When he arrived, the captain of the guard squinted at the bunnygirl, as if scanning his memory to see if he could recognize her face. It was a familiar sort of look, one that he had definitely given her before. He had, after all, taken in the details of her visage up close the first time they met. But this time, she was wearing different clothing, and even had her ears concealed. Surely he shouldn't be able to recognize her at this point? And yet, he continued to eye her, with one of his brows seemingly stuck in a raised position.

"I am Hashid, Captain of the Jadiram City Guard," he announced loudly. "I am told that you sold a piece of jewelry to this man, and that he had it snatched away shortly thereafter. We are investigating this stall, so as to eliminate any possibility of foul play on the vendor's end. Where is your permit?"

"But we even went to chase the people who stole from him! Did your man tell you that?!" cried Ilias in protest. He stepped forward, but one of the men alongside Hashid drew his sword and pointed it at the carpenter's chest.

"B-Besides, I... we need a permit to sell here?" asked Rabi.

"In this district, you do," proclaimed Hashid. "It involves a small... application and setup fee, to officials such as myself." Xara would find that the other of the two guards flanking the haughty constable couldn't help but grin a little.

"Besides, I don't think we've seen this cart around this area before. Are you new? These wouldn't be... stolen goods, would they?" continued the captain, picking up one of the silver bangles and examining it closely. "And this is a safe district--not one for thieves. Surely the appearance of the thieves and this stall can't be a coincidence?"

Xara spotted Ilias clenching his fists off to the side.

Hashid furrowed his brow and leaned down to get a better look at Xara. "And why is it that you look so familiar to me? Remove your headscarf," he commanded.

Rabi opened his mouth in protest, but the guard continued, interrupting him. "Don't worry, I just want to make sure that you aren't someone I think you are. You see, I lost a very good man not too long ago, thanks to a subhuman girl and an unknown thief, as the reports say. My tolerance for thieves and their accomplices these days has not been particularly high--not that it ever has."
        Developer of Despair Labyrinth and primary GM of the PbP.

Comment

Working...
        X