What's new

Memorial Lounge (OOC Thread)

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score
Re: OOC Thread

Updated with bio and pic now. Considering using the char pool to make an actual pic.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Right, well. Should we get some discussion going, at least? I've already had some fun with sectoids, faceless, and vipers, kind of interested to see what else can be done to sex up the setting. Anyone else looking forward to anything in particular?

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I've done a lot of thinking about what my favorites are, and came to the conclusion I can't really pick, or even pick things I'd rule out entirely, heh ;)

Though to be fair, for some it depends on how their handled. For instance, Andromedons. I wouldn't really care to be dissolved the second the "fun commences, but that said, I'm sure there's *some* way they could be modified to do something hot. Maybe instead of acid, the green goo is sticky and prevents someone from getting away, etc.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Yup, makes perfect sense to me. Could be the creature inside is a fair bit different as well. From what I recall, the original is basically just a grey, or a first-Gen sectoid in appearance. We could replace that with something more fun quite easily.

All the advent troopers are pretty basic I suppose, though maybe their equipment could change. Tanglefoot grenades perhaps, to borrow from DnD some. Sectoid's have mind control, viper's have poison and some bond age, faceless can shape change, so plenty of possibilities there. Mech units can be considered for the same equipment changes as basic advent.

Haven't played the new one myself, pretty sure I'm forgetting a fair amount of units. Chrysalids, egging. Hmm...

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Well I actually think the pilot is different than a normal sectoid, to the point of not even being related, just that how their environment burns us ours burns them, so when the dome shatters we're just seeing a crispy pilot rather than what they actually look like, heh. Either way though there's still that unknown to allow for whatever needs be to be put in.

Also I must say, the "human enclosure" at the alien base provides some ideas for captured scenarios ;) The child's pic of a sectoid walking a chrysald is a bit creepy though.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I suppose the main question I have remaining is do we want squads or solo operatives? Obviously solo games move much faster for all involved and don't die out/have problems due to others in the game.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Indeed. The XCOM setting is naturally squad based though, which is a strong counter argument. I think the decision would hinge on "do we think the players can handle it", and I don't mean that in a mean way. We all understand there's things that require us to go at our own pace sometimes. If we all thought we had a good spell where we could be rather responsive I see a squad working, but if not individual might be better.

roe2121

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Memorial Lounge (OOC Thread)

Well I am generally on here alot since I am currently of the unemployed status so I should be able to respond fairly quickly.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I check the forums daily with very few breaks. Don't have a comp right now though, so my posts might be a little on the short and crappyness side. Squad based does make more sense thematically, but there are definitely merits for solo threads as well. I'd be up for either.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I guess we'll try starting with a squad mission and if that goes south we'll separate the operatives. I'll look to get things started soonish.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I suppose some chatter in the back of the truck is in order then?

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Sounds good to me, yup.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Random fun facts relevant to our interests:

In XCOM 2012, a Sectoid cry was made by dragging a wet lacross ball across carpet.

In XCOM 2, the Berserker's cry is made from a pig, a tiger, a flamethrower, a bass drop, and 5 of the dev's voices.

The Viper's cry is a legit snake, mixed with a pitch shifted baby.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I'll give Operation Thunderbird 24 more hours before I lock it out and start it.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Interesting way to make a map. How'd you do that, excel?

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Interesting way to make a map. How'd you do that, excel?
Yup. I've always done excel maps, got a hold folder on ulmf full of them from past games :p

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Heh, well most recent games I've played have been vehicle based so obviously different map genre there heh.

I'll work up a post after this soccer match is over.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Huh, we do have two Jessica. And they're both on point. Well rats. I was second to post character, if it bothers folks i'll find a new name and change my posts about. Up to you folks.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Mostly came about because I'm an unoriginal twat who sucks at names. Sorry.