What's new

A Pirate's (Un)Life for me! (Rovana)

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: A Pirate's (Un)Life for me! (Rovana)

Svalich Woods, north of the road.

Rovana's quick slice just before she swung herself up on the tree branch was more deadly than she had first thought. Her blade had caught the beast in its neck as it had sought to leap at her. Now it bled profusely, and the dire wolf pads forward dumbly for a few paces and then falls on its side like a stone weight crashing to the earth.

It thrashes wildly and ineffectually among the dead twigs and shrubs of the forest floor. A pool of blood starts to form beneath its neck. Foam forms at the edges of its muzzle and its eyes are wide with fury and terror in what are likely its final moments.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
Old Svalich Road, Big bad wolf meeting

".. fff.... that looks painful." Rovana coughed, watching the wolf. "Sorry matey, people here kept going on and on about how dangerous these lands are. Well, ya did go down, technically." She added, tipping her chin, sighing slightly and dropping down from the branch. Her vest Had quite the extra bits for dramatic flair. She quickly considered.. Three wolves, one driven away, one out, the last one had gotten a good bite in on the elf, but remembering the sames bladework, she should make it. Rovana assumed she had fought wolves before, and she'd need a short while to sneak back to her anyway. "Joe, to the lookout, be there trouble on the yardarm?" She commanded her parrot to check on the elf as she dropped down.

"Ye nay be me enemy, just a hungry pet. Never felt good about killin folks that had themselfs no choosing in the matter of hunger. Know the feeling." As she tried to grab the wolves neck to the best of her ability. Now, pirate medicine was more art than craft and it was the kind of art fit only for people with too much money that liked to baffle others by pretending they understood what was going on in a picture.
But loss of limbs? Deadly wounds? They saw that more than a normal country doctor. Rovana was not a cleric but, it was worth a try. She was not gentle. Being efficent was more important.

aand here it goes, I assume its an untrained wisdom roll:
Roll(1d20)+-1:
11,+-1
Total:10

Hey, hey thats enough for a base first aid. *ducks from aoo's*

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Rovana's effort at being a sawbones is rewarded only with maddened gnawing and snapping from the wolf's maws. When it realizes it doesn't have the strength to effectively ward her off, it twists and struggles, not seeing or believing that the pirate means her anything but more harm.

It doesn't take long before it stops moving, and its dark blood pools to the point where it must have easily lost several liters of the stuff. Her hands syrupy and coated with blood, Rovana halts her efforts to re-evaluate after a minute of struggling.

It's no use. The dire wolf is beyond her ability to save. Joe squawks from above in the tree tops, but says nothing. When Rovana finally does get up and starts to move again, the parrot glides down to her shoulder and settles in. Rovana picks up her dropped crossbow and stows it, along with her sword.

If she returns to the road, she finds Jasmina, sitting on the edge of the path. The elf noble turns to look at her.

"Oh good. You're alive. And without a scratch it seems. Dire wolves, courtesy of the Count. He breeds them. They are utterly loyal and fed by necromantic energies to strengthen their aggression. We were fortunate that this was just a small pack. Let's press on."

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
Old Svalich Road, moving onwards

Rovana was not losing an arm just to save the beast, so her attemps were rather slowed down."Hoi, hoi! Well, Davy Johnes wins today." She shrugged, offering her shoulder for Joe, then returned to the street, looking at the elf.

"Frankly, after all the tall tales I expected the Baron to send something that can actually fight! What do you mean, lucky? I admit, it'd get tiering if he sent another dozen of those." Rovana raised her voice enough for any that might listen on to hear, but not enough to make this awkward.

"I don't appreciate having to put down defenseless animals, overgrown or not. Tried to safe mine after pacifying it, but just bled out too fast. So much for getting a new pet. You got keen eyes, how so? Well, you noticed my sword, but also you didn't take a moment to question whose blood that was."

She shrugged, looking to the elf, before exhaling, continuing towards the seer with another part of her story.

"The Code of pirates. It's a .. well, from captain to crewmember, it be just a set of guidelines. Frankly, each pirate ship has their own variations, but a few rules stay the same no matter what. The spirit stays the same, always has to, else ye be no pirate anymore.
I guess I best start with the one that taught me the code, Captain Crow. I first hired on a ship of bleeding buccaneers, the Red Rooster, amateurs, really, even I knew, back then. The captain took a liking to my body, but was intimidated by my powers and what he deemed to misname an 'obsession' with pirating. Back then I already followed the code without knowing.
Finally, we made port at a pirate town, wonderful place, each and every last one of them a damned cuththroat and ne'er do well. Old men with no teeth, no shame and no fear, pretty wenches that could hide a dagger in places you'd not believe.. learned a trick or two there, charming hunks that could swindle a high priestess into absolving them as their grew was emptying her ship and every tavern had grog, rum, ale, and little else to drink. Finally I felt at home. If I had just half of them here I'd be storming the castle without fear. And the respect! Nay one of them looked at me as just a wee lass to be groped or swooned over. I wore the colors, they payed me the respects due, for we all knew the meaning, the price I had put upon me head, the same price as theirs. That is the code too. To be damned, rather than not free. But I digress.
There, I met Captain Crow."
Rovana nodded, before continuing.
"Walking with a stick, lost an arm and a leg in pirating, each well paid for, even among pirates he had many standing back in respect, if not fear. I for my part, walked up to him, demanded he impart upon me the seeings of the craft. He laughed, drew a crossbow at me, I went to play innocent and sneak up my hand to my dagger, only to notice head pocketed it with his hook. He smirked and said I must be mad or audacious to try and draw a blade on someone pointing a crossbow at me visage, either he could work with.
Then, he taught me about pirating and the code. A way to survive, he said. Thats really what is is, he said. Follow it and you'll live free. But I drowned eight moons ago, I said. Then you owe it to yourself to try to survive better next time, he answered. Well, actually he said something more among the lines of 'Dae Ah lookat blaggard tae ye, lass? Ye dornt looket drowned tae me, but ye nay be follow'in dae CODE Ah can sae 'boot gettin dae arranged, speed'ly savy?"
Rovana chuckled.

"Its a bit of interpretation work sometimes. Anyway. I guess to keep it short the code can be transcribed as.. Follow the captains commands, don't betray a crewmember, don't kill enemies you captured unless the captain decides it, lend aid to ships in need, take what you can from the rich and give it to the poor, which, considering you just went through all the effort of disposessing said rich, clearly is you, respect another pirates name and property, share your rum and provisions with all that need it on deck, plunder and pillage responsibly.. hmn.. Did I exempt any important ones, Joe? Theres a few more details to it than that and of course it all applies only to other pirates, which you currently be, on that note, starting to grow a little hungry, did you pack provisions or how long be it to the seer still?" Rovana inquired, unashamedly pullling out a borrowed wine bottle and taking a sip, with a displeased expression at the wines lack of, as she'd put it, Aroma.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The elf merely grins.

"If that were your blood on you, then you'd not be walking upright," she stands and flexes her arm. Aside from a few indents on her bracer, she appears to not have suffered too poorly from her surprise attack by the second wolf, whose body can be seen a few meters away on the southern side of the path.

She nods and starts to continue westward on the trail, as Rovana launches into a rather long story about her pirating beginnings and her notions on the code. The elf snorts a stifled laugh at the name 'Red Rooster' for her starting ship. And doesn't seem all that interested in the colorful details about the pirate town or its various examples of expertise in the skullduggerous arts. The code she pays more attention to, though her expression is discerning and somewhat quizzical.

"It seems at odds with itself. If you're meant to be surviving at all costs, then why would you bother to help another pirate ship in need? If the fools have gone about getting themselves in trouble, why should you risk your neck for them?"

She pauses shortly, then goes on.

"And a lot of this seems to be interpreted for what a crewmember should do. No offense, but I am a captain, through and true, and were I sea bound, I should expect nothing less. What does the code tell about a captain's conduct?"

---

As the pair traveled on, with Joe fluttering and hopping from shoulder to shoulder as he grew antsy. Eventually the travelers reach a crossroads. A wooden board with three arrows notes that the three paths lead to Barovia Village, Tser Pool and west to Vallaki.

Also at the intersection is an old, rotting gallows - the sort that pirates are hung on in lawful ports. A female body twists, hanging limp from a noose. The figure spins slowly as Rovana approaches, at last becoming recognizable only when she is perhaps 15 feet away from it.

The hanging figure is Rovana herself. Her neck is broken. Her blonde hair ragged and messy. Her hat lies beneath her dangling boots. Her face is pale and lifeless, her eyes vacant.

Jasmina makes no immediate sign of being concerned by this.

"Tser Pool is this way, that is where we'll meet with the Seer."

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
Old Svalich Road, moving onwards

"Ye're not wrong about them being fools, but if ye live a dangerous life, ye might end up being the fool one day, and, if its in the code that you ought to help another pirate ship, that means another pirate ship will help you. And help does not extend so far as risking your neck. If they fall behind too far, they get left behind." Rovana nodded.

"Well, I am the captain here." Rovana insisted immediatly after the next question. "Captain ensures order, that all crewmembers are paid their share, picks targets and makes the decisions. They are elected on competence and.. well, ye may might make a well captain and that be great praise. Just think about it, to qualify you need to incline yourself to motivate a group of murdering rascals that chose this life to be free of anyone commanding them. Ye need to be the greatest bastard, lier and often drinker about. It's not about fanciful noble titles and hierachies, to lead a pirate ship you need to be the most fierce, fearless and fearsome among an already fearsome lot. Ye do whatever it takes and don't dare look back and wonder. Thats why, even without a ship, I still demand to be addressed as Captain Rovana. It be a title of honor. It be a threat and a promise and Strahd, if he truly was all ye waisters made him out to be, he'd know not to disrespect anyone daring to call themselfs captain.
Thats why it be insulting what some of ye folks seek to impart upon me topics wise. Aye, this place be spooky, but ignoring the baron himself, I haven't seen anything all too dangerous here. I ain't saying that there aren't strong wicked forces about, don't get me wrong. But strength alone don't make ye dangerous me heartie. Do I look like a heavy lifter?"
She chuckled, but in her eyes burned a fire matching every bit the passion of a religious devout or weapon master, speaking about their passion.

Rovana first blinked when confronted with the gallows, a tear running down her cheek. "I know I ain't drunk enough, and that nay be what haunts me normally, so.. its A bloody shame, you can't see as I do, the barons magic is getting odd. What, will ye show the priestess burned at the stake for spreading her faith? How about ye show the elf dying atop her throne. This nay be intimidation, this be an honor. Ye want to scare me, show me as old crone, dying from too much fieldwork.. exept now ye can't, unless you take pointers, baron." then she grinned at the gallows laughing for a moment, "Heh.. ha harr harrr." before reaching for her hat, taking it off and holding it on her chest in a gesture of respect. She leaned down, trying to put the hanged ones hat back on her before continuing on. She did not expect it to work. "Well then, onto Tsers puddle, I'd like to know if this so called oracle be what ya'll make her out to."

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

DM
Tser Pool Path
Tag: Rovana

"So help, but not if it puts you at any risk. How quaint." Jasmina observed.

When Rovana became rather insistent about being the captain here, the elf noble just grinned and looked up to the tree tops.

"You're a cutie, you know? Let me see now... inclined to order around a bunch of murdering rascals? I've had experience in that. Under the pretension that following my orders was freedom? Oh darling, I've been there too. As for being a... hnnn... a bitch. Well, i've been called that and worse. I kinda like it when my pretties call me names, even as they know they're going to follow my commands. Yes, Captain Rovana, I'm quite sure I know what it takes to run a ship and crew. I just don't require the ship. I can do all of that on land, sea and sky, if it please me. And I'll do just that, once I have my realm back under my control. You're welcome to visit, or maybe if you like me enough, I'll make you an admiral or some such. Give you a pretty hat and... maybe a tight fitting uniform to show off your, hmm hmm... booty?"

Jasmina giggled at her own pun and walked languidly along the old cart worn path to the north, past the gallows. She blinked as Rovana reacted so strongly to something at the crossroads and followed the pirate's eyes with a confused look on her face.

"What are you doing?"

As Rovana approached her hanging self and moved to pick up the hat, the vision of the gallows disappeared. There one second, and then gone the next. The crossroads were empty.

"The mists play their tricks..." Jasmina told Rovana as she stepped away from the place where the image of her hanging self had just been. "Come on. What did you see?"

~~~

The rest of their journey along the old, cart worn path was easier. The howls of wolves were distant things, and the woods were dark even during the daytime, but soon the sound of music could be heard in the distance. The notes of Vistani musicians with fiddles and accordions danced upon the air. Soon, after a mile or so on the path, they reached a circle of wagons resting near the banks of a small lake.

At the very moment they stopped and came into view of the campsite, a voice sounded from up in the tree branches to their left.

"Hello again, Miss Reaver. You are looking lovely as usual. Welcome to our camp."

In the branches, holding a crossbow in her lap, but not pointing it anywhere, sat Damia, the gypsy girl whom she had first spent a night with, the daughter of Stanimir, who had led her onto the road towards Barovia in the first place.

"Madame Eva said you'd be here earlier than the others. She said you'd be angry, too. Are you... angry with us? With me?"

Damia looked genuinely saddened by this, and toyed with the lock of blonde hair that had been tied into a bracelet around her wrist.

"Father says we don't have any choice about this... I mean, if we didn't bring you, then Strahd would find another way. I'm sorry we didn't tell you the whole truth. It's... not really a gypsy thing to do though. Or a pirate thing really, you got to admit!"

The gypsy girl smiled sheepishly.

"Anyways, you're here now. If you promise not to start killing any of us, I can get you something to eat. Maybe even a bit of... rum?"

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
Tser pool

"Aye! That be the pirate spirit!!" Rovana narrowed her eyes. "Ye be mistaken, the a ship be of the essence. Now Admiral, that be a title only them greatest captains can claim, for first ye need other, loyal captain, that said,a pirate isn't given anything. I ain't earning favours, I TAKE, take what I want and give nothin' back!" she nodded. "Besides, nothing wrong with my current head wrappings." she patted her hat. "Most hats don't stand storm or stabbings and it needs to sit tight enough it don't fall off if I hang upside down to stab some bastard." she nodded.

"That be the mists trick not the barons? The mists suck at trickin' then. Hangin by the gallows ain't a fear a pirate has, tis shows they lived to be pirate till the very end." Rovana shrugged, then added. "Plus, such an old rottin gallows, 't would simply break under me weight." Rovana chuckled, questioning the practicality of her hanging.

They made their way, closing in on the Vistani camp, while Rovana had a hard to read, but for a good reader, grim expression on her lips.

She peeked up at that, admittedly charming sight of the Vistani girl. "Angry? Aye, if the stories of these lands not letting ye leave be more filled with truth than the dangers supposedly around yonder trees." She twisted around, drawing her crossbow skilfully, pointing it at Damia. "I'd have reason to be angry then, what would ye say? Maybe ye saved me from prison, but definitly ye took away a pirate from the sea. Not just me body but me spirit, if the tales are true. Reckon ye could have killed me, marooned me, burned me ship down, anything and it nay would have been worse. Ye're lucky I don't refund your bolts on the spot." Rovana shrugged, then lowered her crossbow, giving the vistani a tired smile.

"That said, finally a good drink of rum and food sounds quite well. I'll take that. Ha ha ha.. come on, .. Damia, right? I can't be angry with someone with that pretty a body, eh?" She chuckled, bagging her crossbow, smiling, approaching.. "I, Captain Rovana, promise to always follow the code and in this here situation it dictates..."

Then, she gripped the branch, her smile freezing with her attempting to swing herself up, like she did against the wolf, this time, missing her momentum she sighed, drawing her crossbow with suprising speed to make up for her failed climbing stunt. "Well, this'd be much more effective up close, so be it. -I nay be angry, we're well past that. And ye will show CAPTAIN Rovana, the Reaver proper respect, whore of Strahd. So you spineless seapigs had no choice but to bring me here? Perhaps then I have no choice but to show you my gratitude." She pointed to the hair-bracelet on Damia, her voice ice-cold."First take that thing fromoff your arm. How many trophies have you stolen from people you condemned to this place at your owners behest? Not even the most cruel pirate would brag with such iniquity. Well, if the counts language be the only you understand, then understand this. By everything I heard about you and your master HE wants you alive to bring him more toys and right now I want to screw with him more than I would miss your admittedly beautiful bottom, savy? So now, you'll give me yer crossbow, and all the bolts you have on you and that dagger that you indubitably hide somewhere and all of that shall scantly begin to pay your dues. Then you'll lead me to your leader, get me good food, a proper drink.. unpoisoned, because it be you who'll have to try all the poisoned bits first and then, then you'll give me my answers. Answers. Not vague prophecies, or riddles, or tall tales of how amazingly powerful your disgusting lord is and how the wild beasts are going to eat my soul. I don't fear your grand master and I met the wild beasts of this place and I'll watch you bleed out with less pity than I did them. You gutless shiprats are through offering me anything I could simply take. Now, unless your great seer gave you a suggestion as for how to deal with this situation, I recommend ye be very quiet."

Acrobatics to climb the tree
Roll(1d20)+5:
6,+5
Total:11

Initative if necessary.. bah what a waste, but.. fits the rp I guess.:
Roll(1d20)+5:
20,+5
Total:25

Also intimidation.. not that impressive, bleh. ^^
Roll(1d20)+4:
7,+4
Total:11

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

DM
Outside Tser Pool Encampment

As she swung her self on the tree branch, Damia's eyes narrowed and quickly to the draw, she had her crossbow pointed at Rovana's face as near enough to when the pirate had her own leveled at the gypsy girl.

In the bushes and behind the trees surrounding her on both sides, Rovana now noticed movement, as other Vistani with loaded crossbows all showed themselves, with grim and unsympathetic faces, their hard eyes all focused on the pirate.

For her part, the Lady Jasmina chuckled and put her hands behind her back.

"Yar, methinks this be one of those times when helping out would be putting meself at risk," the swordelf mimicked the jaunty pirate's speech and then, nodding to the young male Vistani named Ratka, who had danced and grown intimate with Vita for a short while, the elf moved forward, leaving Rovana behind.

"If you don't mind, I believe Stanimir and the Madame Eva are expecting us," she then walked into the encampment, without any protest from the Vistani, who were all still concentrating on Rovana. "Do catch up when it's most convenient for you. The seer awaits."

Damia smirked, her eyes wild and defiant against Rovana's.

"Aye, I'll show you the respect you deserve, blonda pirat prost... Think I am scared of a bolt? I'll return it in kind! And my cousins shall add a few more holes into you too. And should you kill me, I'll curse you to be blind and deaf, so you'll wander these lands as a beggar, and ne'er find your beloved sea again!"

She then tilted her head and her eyes, moved down to the blonde lock on her arm.

"I've no trophies like the one you gave me. Just the one. Just you. But if you want it back, then know this: I could have given it to Strahd. Sent it off to the castle, where he'd use it in his spells to weaken you. But I didn't. Despite what you may think of us, or of me, you know NOTHING. Wandering into our camp, mocking us, believing what the <insert long string of Vistani swears> village fools say of us."

She held her chin out proudly.

"You want your sea back? It's the Vistani who can HELP you. But try to TAKE it, and you'll get nothing but regrets. We're the closest things to pirates as you'll find in this place. Don't you know a proper den of thieves when you see it? But here..."

The Vistani girl took the locket from her wrist, still holding her crossbow at Rovana and let the ringlet drop down to the pirate. Rovana saw that there was a moments hesitation before she let it drop, and despite her brave face, it seemed as though Damia was fighting to hide some other emotions.

"All right, that's enough Damia." The brother, Ratka edged closer, his crossbow still pointing at Rovana.

"You don't understand the whole situation, Captain Rovana. There's Vistani, and then there are Vistani. Just as there are pirates, and then there are pirates. We're all liars and scoundrels because it's survival that's the key. We look after our own first, and worry about outsiders second, if at all. Madame Eva says that you'll understand that much, even if you may be on the wrong side of it. She said to tell you that Strahd isn't our lord. He's more like an ever-present storm over our waters, or an angry sea god that we must occasionally appease in order to sail freely. You were an outsider to us when we found you. But now that you're here, there are some of us that want to help you escape. My sister - the one whose life you're threatening - is the one most outspoken about doing that. Consider saving your pirate fury for an actual enemy. But if you harm a hair on my sister's head, I'll not hesitate to kill you myself."

There was a moment's silence, then Damia put up her crossbow.

"We'll lead you to Madame Eva. That is what she wants anyway. And if you insist on me drinking your rum before you, WELL! I'll not be arguing THAT." She grinned. "So come on then, my beautiful fool of a pirate. Are you going to shoot me and be turned into a pin cushion? or will you stow your weapons and settle for a nice parley?"

Aside from Ratka and Damia, there's another 8 Vistani with crossbows and various hand weapons around her, standing in a nice circle aiming at her. Rovana has initiative here if there's a combat going to break out or if she's going to try and leg it.

Jasmina has just wandered into the Tser Pool camp.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
Tser pool

The edge of Rovanas mouth twitched with the crossbows aiming at her.."Aye it be. And I'll be damned, perhaps theres something to that seer story." "I could get off enough bolts to take you with me, witch and there really ought to be a 'captain' in there." She lowered her crossbow, sighing slightly, raising her hands and standing down, catching the bracelet. "You think being blind and deaf would stop me? I can smell the sea and feel it on my skin. And I don't need to mock you." She said, putting the bracelet around her own arm. instead. "You're making a mockery of yourselfs well enough."

"A proper man of courage does not bow before a lord." She extended her arms. "Why do you travel the lands, rather than live in warm homes and comfort? Is it not to be free of any lords rule? Is it not the leader of your land that has to come to your seer-captain for approval in his endeavours lest he face your scorn and interferance all along the way? If you had wanted to end his reign ya could have fetched half a dozen shining priests and filled the rest of your wagons with the kinda knights with glittering armors that ya can hardly look at. Heck, if I had anything more than me wit and blade.. but ye didnae bring any of me crew either." She shook her head. "Granted a bunch of 'em were noisy rascals, but if one were to theroetically pick out the prettiest face to give to Strahds collection it would be me, and me alone, without crew and ship to aid, presented on a plate o' silver, just one more outsider to pay the tax to yer lord and master, what'd any of you care beyond? Ye speak of giving? Theres a lot to give to make up for what ye've taken already. And I very much doubt I'm the first. A pirate robs others of their riches. You rob others of their freedom, to be free yourselfs. Don't you dare compare yourself to us." She put her hand upon the pirate code she painted in the inn. "By the Code, I'd die rather than live like you."

"Last time I saw Strahd I challeneged him to his face. As for different kinds of Vistani? well, you be the kind of Vistani that brought me here. It'd be only due you bring me back out, but I have a feeling you'll ask a price for the fare. But I ain't leaving now, I have a lesson of respect to teach to Strahd. If you try to appease the shark then thats the difference between Pirates and Vistani. We don't appease a storm, we sail right through it." Rovana shrugged slightly. "Granted, first time I tried that it didn't go so well."

"Parrrley. Show me yer seer then." She nodded, crossing her arms, making way to the Vistani camp as well.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

DM
Tser Pool

"You have been in Barovia for one day," Ratka said, his crossbow not lowering. "Talk to us of courage after you have been here a while longer. And talk to us of our situation only when you actually know the details. Your words only prove that you are grossly misinformed. If you desire wisdom, then speak to Madam Eva. I'll not waste my own breath on closed ears, but I shall say this: don't brag of piracy like it is something noble or to be proud of. You attack the defenseless, rob the weak blind and maroon them at sea. You murder and pillage and rape, and you run when the fight is too tough. You care nothing for others' freedom, just your own. Come, share our food. It will be a nice side dish as you eat your own words."

Damia climbed down, her dagger out, but her crossbow stowed.

"You're affects, Captain Rovana," she said, motioning to the cutlass, the crossbow and the bolts. "I'll keep them safe. And they'll be returned to you when you leave us. May I suffer the curse of a Vistani and all pirates if it turns out otherwise."

Ratka said something sharp in his own language to Damia, but his sister calmed him with a look.

"I don't understand what my sister sees in you to make such a swear. But yes, there's no way I'm letting you near Madam Eva with any weapon. Damia, make sure there's nothing dangerous on her."

Damia would move close now to the pirate captain, her dark eyes intent upon Rovana. She held out a hand, waiting to be given the weapons. If Rovana consented to this, after she had handed over the weapons, Damia would personally frisk the pirate captain, and her hands would glide over the surface of the pirate's skin and clothes quite intimately, but skillfully checking all the places that one could hide a dagger.

"I am truly sorry," she said in a whisper to Rovana when the others couldn't hear. "It's not safe to talk openly. But later... I want to make things right with you. If you let me. Please."

Damia then stepped back, having taken Rovana's weapons and stowing them to her pack or looping them onto the leather belt that was hidden beneath her sash. The party of Vistani then moved with Rovana back to the encampment, where the remainder of the caravan's non combatants were gathered. In the distance, some had appeared to have gone to fish or bathe at the Tser Pool.

The old patriarch of this particular band, Stanimir, sat by the edge of his colorful wagon, smoking a pipe and observing the ambush party's return with a wary eye. But before he said anything, a truly old woman, who looked as though she must be pushing 100 years thrust open the back door of a very large wagon that was off to the side of the encampment. Behind her, seated inside the wagon was Jasmina. The crone points a gnarled finger at Rovana.

"So, you've come. Faster than the others, with more confidence than is good for you. Yes, yes, I know you demand answers, but do you know the right questions? Come into my wagon and we shall consult the cards. Bring Joe and your ghost as well. Damia - girl - you will come too. The captain should not be far from her weapon."

Madam Eva returned to the inside of her wagon, and Rovana was accompanied up to the doorway, where she would be let through, along with Damia. If the captain looked behind her, she would notice that her ghostly apparition "Molly" had appeared once more. Around the ghost, a tendril of darkness had wrapped itself like the tentacle of a giant octopus.

Within the wagon, which seemed to be piled with various seemingly useless knick knacks and arcane symbols, Madam Eva sat in a cushioned chair on the opposite side of a table, at which Jasmina was seated. A vacant chair was left open for Rovana to sit at, if she pleased.

A perch of carved wood for a bird had been placed on the table, and Joe rawrked and immediately swooped off of Rovana's shoulders and landed on the wooden bar. Eva stroked his feathers with a hand and offered Joe a wafer of toasted bread.

"A fine familiar you have, Captain Rovana. Quintessential of your profession as well. There is power in aspiring to such a role. Yes. Much power. Heh heh. Now then. You were brought here in a Vistani wagon, and therefore you believe that the Vistani are to blame for your current imprisonment in Barovia. You would be wrong, however, you can be forgiven for thinking this. The truth is that the Mists would have surrounded you one way or another. One night at sea, or on land, or perhaps even as you slept and dreamed of sailing away into a fog, you would have arrived here and been a prisoner. Doubt my words if it suits you, but I do not lie.

"You also believe, just as everyone else in this wagon and out in the encampment, that you are here because Strahd desired your presence. Even Strahd believes this. But that is not the true reason you are here."

Madam Eva took a deck of large cards in her hands and began to shuffle it.

"You are here because the Mists - not the Vistani and not even Strahd - willed it. You were chosen long ago. The very moment that you drowned in the sea of your home world, the you that was free of this realm was gone. The moment you became Rovana the Reaver, with that cutlass in your hand, that was when the Mists had claimed you. You are here not because of Strahd, or me, or Damia, or her father... you are here... because of her."

Her gnarled finger pointed at "Molly" as the apparition sadly floated at the back of the wagon, silently dripping with sea water. A forlorn expression of despair and guilt was on the ghost's face.

Last edited:

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
Tser pool

"One day too long, and I'll do ya one better and not even respond to that." Rovana pouted at the Vistani, then looked over to Damia

Rovana chuckled. "Really? I got more daggers hidden on me than you can carry." She handed over the crossbow and sword, sheated, a drop of water falling from it, perhaps just the mist gathering on the pummel.. "It'd be in yer own interest not to draw its blade, no matter what." Once She was searched throughoutly, Damia would find a normal dagger on her belt, five small throwing daggers, two in her sleeves, one in her boot, one placed under the rim of her hat and one hidden below a decorative anklet. Furthermore there was one lockpick, one rather sharp and dangerous looking hairpin and a pair of aces, to which Rovana remarked "Hoh, someone must have tried to frame me a gambler. Are we done yet or are you going to confiscate my parrot and my hat as well?" She hesitated a moment at Damias whispered words. They sounded.. heartfelt. "I fear no death or damnation, but this damnation is none of my chosing..."

She looked at the old crone. Pirates knew not to disrespect magic, so she followed along, silently. Well mostly. "If this be about the excess aces, they be smuggled upon my person by a miswilling third party without doubt." She looked over to the ghost.. and the tentacle, then let a yearning glance wander to her blade, from which another drop was slowly running down.

Rovana sat down upon the chair, crossing her legs and arms, looking expectantly at the Seer petting her parrot. "I wouldn't do that he likes to snap at anyone petting him thats not me.. and.. alright nevermind." she raised a finger, then shrugged and listened.

"Well if they had taken me thusly I'd have me ship, me crew." She raised her brows as the woman went on.

Rovana listened on, a gaze cast to the apparition. "So this be what? My judgement? Purgatory? A test? What be those mists that they take a grip of me? Alright, I will give ye that, seer, now that ye say it, there is something different in what Strahd does and what the mists do. When I encountered him he struck me as the kind of man not shy about flaunting his powers to dominate, yet I've seen more subtle visions that seemed to have come not from him, but from me own mind." She tipped her chin, looking over to the miserable ghost. She exhaled as another drop of water fell from her blade.

"If I'm supposed to ask the right questions then.. who is she? No matter how hard I try I can't see her face, no matter where I go she wont leave me, she wont talk, but she always follows. At first I thought her my future, but that could not be it. Is she my past, is she my punishment, or my salvation? I remember it. I remember drowning. I remember, promising any price, to who or whatever listened, just so my life would not be over before I hadn't been a pirate. But I did not die. the waters closed over me, and all turned dark and then I awoke, drifting on the waves. What happened.. and if those mists themselves took me, what for? Oh I know you'll say a mists needs not to have a reason, but neither have the waves that drag you down, and yet there are currents, hidden streams. So what is the reason here?" Rovana uncrossed her arms, gesturing to the ghost.. it seemed the seer had shaken her out of pouting at least.

"And while we are at the questions, all that aside. I had a strange dream the first night here, Lady Jasmina said you were good with such." The captain nodded, uncrossing her legs too.
"I was on a ship once more, sailing stranger tides, but the dream was split in two. One half was beautiful, yet.. like a rose with no thorns. The other was dreadful, yet tempting." She'd begin telling of each half of the dream (leaving out certain erotic details and getting a hint of a blush as she revealed that both the dreams had involved the vampiress Ludmilla.), unless anyone stopped her tale.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"We're all damned," Damia whispered back. "Our only choice is whose damnation to we want to share ours with."

She fitted the daggers into her pack, and some of them disappeared into her sleeves, or through a slit in her skirt, next to several daggers that were already strapped there along the gypsy girl's leg.

~~~

"No. You'd never have your ship or your crew. Your crewmen would awake to find you gone from your captain's quarters as if you had never been anything but a dream. The Mists are the will of unspeakable evil. An evil that is dead but will never rest. It's only desire is to make mortals join it in this... undeath."

Madam Eva crooked her ancient head at Rovana's question of whether this was a judgement, a purgatory or a test. She nodded, sagely.

"It may be all of those things, Captain Rovana. Only you can determine the result. My Gift of Sight, the power of the Tarokka Deck... they can show you the path. But you alone can walk it. Walk it with all the guile and bravery that you can muster! To come out on the other side of your journey, you will need to become truly worthy of the title: Captain Rovana the Reaver! Not of the sort to simply scare away a town guard or put fear into a fat merchant's heart. No. You must truly be THE Reaver. You have the power to do this within you, girl. But you don't believe in yourself yet. Not truly. You're not yet The Reaver."

Madam Eva paused and smiled at the pirate's next question, about who the ghost was. She nodded, but let Rovana finish and describe her dream with two halves. The woman crooked her eyes and shuffled her cards again.

"Your question as to who the ghost is, is a good one. And it is at the core of why the Mists have called you here. We shall get the answer in a moment. But first, your dream... I believe it is a dream of prophecy. Let me tell you briefly about prophecy, Captain Rovana. There is such a thing as Fate - but it is not a straight line. It is not a map with a known treasure at X marks the spot. It is many maps, and many Xs, and with each great choice you make, some of these maps fade away, leaving only those that remain. This dream, I believe, describes two different maps of your Fate, with two different Xs. At some point, you will commit to one of these visions. But beware... prophecy has driven people mad, or to grisly ends. These dreams may be the Mists showing you half-truths but hiding key information as well. I advise you to be the Reaver you want to be, and stay true to yourself. And what sort of Reaver will you be? Eh? Shall you define such a title as being a heartless one with unimaginable power? Or shall you seek the freedom of a new morning? To tread the waves in the wake of a red dawn?"

The crone shrugged and covered her aged head with a red and blue shawl, intricately patterned in Vistani stylings. She fed Joe another morsel of bread, and stroked him as he eagerly pecked away at it.

"Rawrk! Where's the Rum gone? Wee Woo!"

"Hnh hnh hnh! A fine question, old Joe!" Madam Eva reached beneath her desk and set down on the table four glasses and a bottle of fine, caramel colored rum.

She poured the glasses full, setting one for herself, one for Jasmina and Damia, and the fourth she set in front of Joe to dip his beak in. The bottle, she then passed to Rovana, with a wink.

"You are thirsty, and for what comes next, you'll need this anyway. Now..."

Madam Eva took her glass of rum and downed it in one gulp. Jasmina sniffed at the glass, her expression souring, and sipped at it. She winced, but then downed the bottle too. Damia took her rum straight up like Eva did. Glancing at Rovana as she did so. Joe happily fluttered and dunked his face into the rum, lapping away with his tongue.

"Ahem.... now. You asked to know the ghost's identity. I shall have her tell you herself... through me."

Setting the cards down in front of her, with one smooth motion from left to right, Madam Eva fanned the cards in front of her and put her palms facing upward upon the table. She then locked eyes with "Molly" and stared.

The lamplight in the wagon flickered, and the shadows in the small space grew longer, as though every dark corner became a pool that would slip away into an endless void. The room felt very small now, and claustrophobic to Rovana.

"Stay still. Stay absolutely still." Madam Eva said, seemingly to everyone. "Something else is here with us. Listening. Be careful what you say.... You there. Girl. Drowned spirit. I command you. By the power of Mother Night, I compel you. Speak. Speak to the living, clearly. Tell us. Who are you? Why have you brought this pirate here? What is the bond you have with her? What --...."

Madam Eva lurched backwards, her frame going stiff as a board, and her eyes rolled back into her skull. The image of Molly flickered, the ghost becoming blurred. The shadows in the room now were coiling, as though they were tendrils or snakes and writhing, unliving things. A palpable aura of dread and terror filled the wagon. It was utterly paralyzing.

Madam Eva's head lolled to one side, then violently swung to the other. Then she lurched forward and spoke in a girls voice, not at all her own, but rather, similar to that of what Molly had sounded like to Rovana, the few times she had heard her speak. Her words now were clearer than ever before... and she had an accent. A Barovian accent.

"Rovana... My name... is Moirya. But Molly will do, for I have been dead so long, I remember so little of my life, and I am now more your Molly than anything else. I know only that I was born here, in Barovia, and so great was my desire to escape, that I... I let out a terrible evil, so that I might leave. And leave I did... the evil and I journeyed together out of Barovia and down into the deepest depths of an ancient ocean... I remember the cold and the crushing force on me... and in my first moment of freedom from this place, I died... my corpse food for the fishes.

"I had a choice Rovana. I could move on to whatever gray, godless beyond was in store for me, but if I did, the terrible evil would live again. Or I could stay... and be the lock that kept the evil at bay. I... I realized that I had been a fool. The evil had used me. Betrayed me to my death. I... stayed at the bottom of the ocean for so long... so long... I would not let it go.

"Then... I met you. You were a corpse. Like I had been. You were sinking... down... down... down... and the evil was going to use you. I could sense it. So I acted first. I needed you to live. So I possessed you, and swam with you to the surface of the ocean. And for days I swam with your body. Keeping you in a state of undeath... until you were close to shore. So much of my power was used... my essence so weak, that the evil was threatening to wake. The sword... I put myself and the evil inside of it and gave it to you. But that was it. I could not speak to you, for every time I did, the evil would pull me away! There was only one place that the evil could gather enough strength to break free. Here... in Barovia. Where we have returned. The Mists wish the evil back... to be a part of them once more. But it still yearns to be free! Its spirit has already diffused into the land. It must be bound again before its power returns! I do not know how, but the Seer can help guide you! If you do not, it will consume our souls, starting with my own, to feed its full resurrection. It is... terrible, Rovana. Ancient, and utterly evil! If it lives, no sea will be safe on any world! It is the sire of the bane of all life at sea! The Father of Krakens! The Curse of the Black Spot! It is Dagon!"

The Shadows became alive and the tendrils whipped around the room. Cracks split the wood of the wagon and the spirit screamed! Jasmina shouted and slapped Madam Eva hard! and the Seer's eyes snapped back into focus.

Immediately, Molly disappeared and once more Madam Eva shuddered. The shadows stilled and retreated, and the lamp light returned to normal.

"So... you bring with you an ancient evil that the Mists have sorely missed. An evil that desires to be free... to rule over the oceans on every world. This is... beyond what even I had the ability to predict," Madam Eva said quietly.

There was a long pause, in which Rovana was free to speak her mind.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
Tser pool, seer tent

Rovana had a slight smirk for Damias words, but was for now mostly focused on the seer.

"Pfah, I've always believed in myself, who else would.." she shrugged slightly, but for a moment she hesitated.. .."This whole surrounding situation might have made me hesitate a few moments sometimes.." She admitted, begrudgingly.

"See, I knew, I just knew when I heard yer title first there'd be half words and half riddles with no head or toe. So the dreams are possibilities I have to chose, but perhaps theres details hidden to trick me? Why you talk as if the mists, not Strahd are the problem here." Rovana growled a bit at the interpretation of her dreams. She grinned at Joe.

"Aye, now he has the best questions." Rovana said, then almost sallivated, staring at the rum, then grinning as she recieved the bottle, visibly relaxing after a deep swig, sinking into her seat.. "Haaah.. finally that takes the edge off.. damn wine ain't good for anything." She exhaled and seemed visibly relaxed, ready for the next story to come.

"Tell through you? She nay'er speaks clearly.. hoi oi oi!" She backed off, looking a bit worried for a moment, before reminding herself.. be the reaver? Heh. She hushed herself at the seers command, a hand half reached out to push open the door of the wagon.

Then, Rovanas eyes wandered to the sword. She took a deep swing. "So thats the two maps we currently have before us." she reached out, taking the sword back. "Don't worry, not going to stab anyone that gave me rum, that'd be bad manners, but I need to keep this on my hands, aye?" She caressed along the sword thoughtfully, pulling it out of its sheath. "That was scary. Seriously, scary as all damnation. Har harrr harrr!" She exhaled.

"The power of Dagon. It most certainly could rival Strahds. If I found a way to make the blade mine without unleashing it, I could be the one to bring terror to the seas. Not every sea, but any sea. I could find a way to wrestle this evils powers for myself, whilest they are still sealed in the blade, siphoning it safely while burning up Mollies soul as a piece of eight.
But getting such an evil back would also strengthen the darkness upon these lands, whereas sealing it away for good, while I was under Strahds watch, would certainly turn the evils of the mists against him, leaving him with 'only' whatever power he sofar amassed, .. and me with a powerless sword but a clearer conscience, am I right so far, seer?"
Rovana chuckled. "Well then, tell me how to be the Reaver, how to deal with this evil, if you even know.. I don't know what outcome to chose, but its clear that everyone will lose if I prove too weak and as I am right now. I admit... I am scared, terrified. Mollie was right, I could be used, I don't want to die yet, but moreso, I don't want to die away from the sea. I didn't keep a calm head when I walked into your camp and you did not even try to provoke me. A mistake like this could mean Strahds victory, or worse, Dagons. So, how do I deal with my blade, how can I be a proper captain without ship or crew to comandeer.. ugh.. I'm not the pirate you need. Maybe in a decade or two." Rovana waved her hands, biting her lips..

"Listen, I try my best, but.. I don't have what it takes, not yet. I've just become a captain! Why couldn't the mists take Captain Crow, or Captain Teach, or Avry or Morgan? It's not fair! Strahd alone was bad enough to try and deal with!" She cupped her head, the sword clattering to the ground by her side. "Damnit.. The Kraken itself is a legendary beast, I never knew they had a daddy." Rovana sighed, looking to the ground. "Theres nothing in the code about dealing with.. ... .. hold on, actually." She took a deep sip of rum, looking at the seer. "You can channel the dead, can you not? This nay be a matter of seers, but of pirates, and captains knowing of the code, I need more practical advice on how to become worthy than what your cards can tell me, no offense, so I beseech the, let me talk to a true captain of old, whoever will hear my calling and respects the code of piracy. One that has lived it all and seen it all and done it all, lived and died a pirate and never regreted it. If you want me to be Captain of the Reaver without the Reaver I need you to show me the ways, but someone more kindred in spirit to give me the strength to walk them. Once I found my heart I can deal with this evil." Rovana requested, taking off her hat which, for her, propably equalled falling to her knees in reverence.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Madam Eva's Wagon

Damia took Rovana by the wrist as the pirate took the handle of her cutlass. Her eyes looked at the pirate's meaningfully, trying to determine what the pirate's reasons for grabbing a weapon were. A grunt and a wave from Madam Eva soothed Damia's fears however, and the younger gypsy girl relented, allowing Rovana to grip the blade.

"Yes. It seems the blade is the key. Put it on the table before you. It is suffused with the essence of Molly, the evil called Dagon, and yourself. Three fates bound to it. Three steps to empower it. The Rule of Three... The rules of magic must be observed."

The crone pursed her lips and shook her head slightly as Rovana's latest idea ran wild from the pirate's mouth.

"Nay girl, stop. Stop! The Reaver is not a ship. It is yourself." She held up a shaking, gnarled hand.

"This is precisely what I was talking about. What could another pirate, dead or living, tell you about being Rovana the Reaver? eh? Nothing. You already know your code. The rest must come from you. Not Crow or Teach or Avry or Morgan or Barbarossa. These are Uncharted Waters, captain!"

The woman hissed, as though weary that Rovana might not be understanding a very important point.

"Besides. Even if you were right in your assumptions that they could help, I cannot channel their spirits. They must be present in Barovia and they must be willing. Neither of these things, your pirate captains be. You are the only follower of the pirate's code to walk in Barovia since before the coming of Strahd. Nay girl... you'll need more than pirates to deal with Dagon. This be a problem for us all. Vistani, Barovian and Outsider, pirate or no pirate. We all will suffer should this evil be loosed. What you need is the Tarroka!"

Madam Eva indicated the fanned cards in front of her.

"Time for you to open your mind, Captain Rovana. The power of the Vistani and Mother Night are real. The pirate's code is a guideline to survival... and survival is about adapting. Adapt to your environment. Recognize the power in others who are not pirates. Do not reject such powers as inferior. Use them! Your mind's been too long in the sea, you've forgotten the mysteries of the land. The power is real. Now... your question. How to deal with this evil and become Rovana the Reaver?"

The crone hummed to herself and let her eyelids droop. Her hand hovered over the fanned deck of extra large Tarokka cards. She stopped suddenly and drew a card, placing it face down in front of Rovana, slightly to the pirate's left. She then put her hand back to the deck and repeated this procedure, four more times, creating a cross of cards in front of Rovana.

She then pointed to the first card.

"This card tells of history. Knowledge of the ancient will help you to better understand your enemy. Its true nature must be learned in order to bind it."

7 of Swords - Hooded One

"I see a faceless god. He awaits you at the end of a long and winding road, deep in the mountains."

She then pointed to the second card, at the top of the cross.

"This card tells of a powerful force of the sea. A medallion from primordial time, that will grant you command of a ship that can lead you to the heart of darkness... and perhaps also to your freedom."

Master of Glyphs - Priest

"You will find this treasure in the castle. In a place of supplication.

She pointed to the third card at the right portion of the cross pattern.

"This is a card of power and strength. It tells of a jewel that can be set within your cutlass, to realize the blade's true potential."

9 of Glyphs - Traitor

"Look for a wealthy woman. A staunch ally of the devil. She keeps the treasure under lock and key, with the bones of an ancient enemy."

Madame Eva indicated the fourth card, the one closest to Rovana.

"This card sheds light on one who shall help you greatly in the battle against darkness."

The Broken One

"Your ally shall be a wizard. His mind is broken, but his spells are strong."

Finally, the crone indicated the card in the center of the cross pattern.

"Your enemy is a creature of darkness whose powers are beyond mortality. This card shall lead you to it!"

Artifact

"The creature lurks behind a locked door. In a grotto beneath the water of a lake."

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
Tser pool

Rovana obliged reluctantly, placing the blade on the table, adding: "It let me control the winds and waters. I wished for a blade to rule the seas, seems I got my want and then some it seems.. it ne'er be all that powerful, only enough to herd a group of unruly sailors and overcome an empty sail on a darker day.." Rovana mused.

"Aye, they be, but.. ye're telling me I've got not one but two way powerful evils on the horizon, on stranger tides and with no one to guide me? I don't ask for a hand holding but.. Listen.. there be things that nay make sense in the code. Tristrams sacrifice, Molly, the code nay be worrying about 'em and yet that don't feel right to me." She crossed her arms, lookinga t the tarrot cards not too happily.

"Truth be told I'm used to spiking cardgames involving me." She had a suspicion that that might be a bad idea this time around. "That said, I can see nay pirate walked these lands, everyone seems willing to scare me off, rather than the opposite, its quite infuriating in a way." She nodded.

She sighed, focusing on the cards. She -liked- the sea. Not that she couldn't respect other powers.. the nightmother had shown herself more.. practical than the morninglord already, a pirate could respect practicality.
"Go to the mountains, find his homeport."
"Heh." Rovana grinned at the second card. "I planned to rob the castle blind to teach Strahd to respect a captain anyhow, if there be a ship there.. I need to be going twice over."

She looked on. "The potential of me blade? Ye know, I've been wondering if there could be more to it.. a rich ally of the Baron? That could be the red dressed bride, or someone I never met." She grinned at the next card.

"I already expected that one." She looked to the last card.

"So... travel to the mountains, sneak into the castle, steal a ring from.. his chapel, rob his friend, meet up with the wizard, find a key.. or be my blade the key, unlock the door, deal with an unspoken evil, interesting.. I do have to do these in the right order right?.. Well, I guess a ship would be of little help in the mountains anyway." Rovana rubbed her hands together.

"Either way, you should've told me there'd be such treasures involved from the get go, ship and blade should help deal with a lot of problems, just need a crew. Humnn.." She looked over to Joe.

"That reminds me, the blade and Joe both came to me alike.. Joe, ye nay be another ancient evil, aye?" She chuckled.
"Oh, before I go, it'd help to know more about the one thats been getting in my way so far. Strahd is a necromancer, Aye? He commands the beasts, all of them? He also commands his brides, how does that work? Surely if they be unwilling and he be uncaring, such a connection could be severed, if only once before he notices and prepares, nay?" She inquired, remembering her dream. "If the enemy be too powerful, weaken them and if they could, I'm sure they'd be starting a mutiny soon."

"Either way. I can't do any of these things on an empty stomach. If you see Vita and the cleric, tell them their distraction of Strahd is much appreciated." Rovana chuckled.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Madam Eva's Wagon

"Listen.. there be things that nay make sense in the code. Tristrams sacrifice, Molly, the code nay be worrying about 'em and yet that don't feel right to me."

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Rovana, than are dreamed of in your philosophy." Jasmina countered, from where she sat with her arms folded, her gaze looking hard at the cards on the table. The elf had never seemed more otherworldly for some reason.

Joe squawked after the half-accusation from Rovana, and the bird stretched its head to its full height in indignation.

"Rawwrk! Blistering blue barnacles! Rawwrk! Walk the plank! Wee Woo!"

Madam Eva pursed her lips at the final questions about Strahd.

"There were two others who have the ring of destiny about them. The horned one, Vita, and the nun, Esvele. You have met them. They are touched by the power of the Morninglord. Something you have disdained thus far. It is the power of the Morninglord that can be wielded to release Strahd from his curse, and thus save this land - but that is not your destiny. You may, in your wanderings, meet those two ladies again and when you do you may be needed to help them confront Strahd. But I must guide them when they come to ask their own questions.

"The Count Von Zarovich commands the creatures of the night. The direwolves and the bats are his unshakeable servants, and his necromancy allows him to create the undead in many a terrible shape and size. The werewolves serve him, but they are not bound to him by magic, in the way that his consorts are. Beware the bite of Strahd, Captain Rovana. To be made into one of his spawn is to be under his spell. Indeed, nearly all of his vampiric minions resents him, yet at the same time, they are forced to love him as their absolute master. Those who are starved of blood for a long time become little more than insane beasts. Those who are well fed retain the personality they had in life - but twisted. Once the curse of the vampyr has struck, evil itself gnaws at your desires. You are the worst part of your old self. And there is no cure. Not even the death of Strahd would remove such undeath - though his death would grant independence. Only divine intervention, such as Mother Night or the Morninglord could give, would be able to remove the curse. That, or extremely potent magic."

If there were any lingering questions, Madam Eva would wait to answer them patiently. With her card reading done however, Damia would guide Rovana to the center of the camp where they could sup on some roasted game meat. Rovana was given back her weapons. Though the Vistani were understandably suspicious of her, and only Damia would speak with the pirate.

"A jewel from a wealthy woman. A medallion from the castle. And some.. history from the mountains... well, there are only two mountains that I can think of. Mount Baratok to the north of Lake Zarovich, and then Mount Ghakis to the south. Nothing but roving bands of savages that way... and no one lives on the heights of Mount Baratok. The mists form a wall at its base... Say... are you all right? That was, quite intense in there..."

Last edited:

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
Tser pool

(eep, didn't realize the elf snuck in too!)

Rovana raised her hands in a calming gesture at Joes reaction, a crooked grin on her lips. "I was never much of a morning person, ya keen? If they want to redeem the vampire so be it, I rather rob him blind. The horny one was nice, the cleric.. a cleric." She leaned over, advising: "Don't let her proselytize yer."

Rovana crossed her arms, listening on, sparing a sharp remark over having no intent of being nibbled on by Strahd either way. "Hmnn extremly potent magic... I'll keep this in mind for if the Mother Night comes to owe me a favour down the road. Or perhaps the archmage has a crazed idea..." she looked at her blade thoughtfully, getting up. "Things to worry about later. Thanks for the reading and somesuch." She gave a slight bow, getting up.
----

"Hmnn.. Perhaps there be a reason for this wall then. My blade might be able to cut a wall of mists, if it can't, that makes that way a short one and I can try the other mountain. A travel to the mountain will also give me time to plan a raid on the castle. Do you have an idea about the wealthy woman allied with Strahd? There can't be that many that fit that description around here. I'm not alright, I'm starving, what time is it anyway? I should eat something, pack lunch, and make my way away from the castle to the mountain before it gets dark.

Oh, and apologies, it seems I accused you lot a tad hastily, though the situation in its entirety is not alltogether pleasant to me... Oh you mean if I'm alright moodwise? Eh, T'was quite the intimidating display.. but think of the treasure! A medallion that summons a ship. A proper powerful blade. Sure there be dangers, extraordinarily so, but life is danger, aye? Feeling a lot better than when I was without rum before."
Rovana grinned. "Plus, now that I know what to do I got things pretty much sorted, bar some small riffs along the course.
Say, I had a question, you said something about sending my bracelet to the castle, be it that easy to sent something there?"
She tilted her head, readjusting her blade, looking questioningly at the rest of her equipment.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Tser Pool Encampment

Madam Eva just smiles cryptically at Rovana's advice on proselytizing. It occurs to Rovana that Madam Eva had mentioned having a connection to Mother Night, who was a goddess, much in the same way that priests claimed connection to gods like the Morninglord.

The crone raised a hand and waived off the bow, then collected her Tarokka cards up. Everyone but her in the wagon got up to leave. Joe flew back onto Rovana's shoulder, and they moved over to the middle of the encampment to collect some food and finish more drink.

"Maybe your blade could cut through it," Damia said, eyeing the sword idly. "Then again, more as like the Mists would make you think you were cutting through them, just til you'd wandered far enough to doom yourself."

Damia made a knife appear from her sleeve and she cut off a few hunks of wild venison that was roasting over a fire pit.

"It's about midday. You'll have to move quick you you want to make it out of Barovia by dark... and that'd just get you to the other side of the mountains. I'd not bet on you getting to Vallaki before night set in..."

The dark haired girl blew on a slice of deer meat to cool it before popping a piece of it in her mouth and chewed as Rovana spoke about known treasure reviving her spirits. Then when the pirate asked her question about the bracelet, Damia chuckled ruefully.

"You apologized for judging us harshly, but," she lowered her voice to a whisper.

"There was a reason I said it was dangerous to talk openly before. A lot of us do serve Strahd. We just do it for different reasons. Madam Eva talks a lot about how Strahd was once a good prince who was tricked by evil gods, and that we ought to undo his curse. My father thinks that as well. Then there are others who serve Strahd as the dark lord. In serving him, it's a free pass to do what they like, rob and plunder as they will. To them, he's like their pirate captain, as you made some reference to. But... from what I've seen, I don't think Strahd is worth serving. And if he was once a good prince... he isn't that now. And I don't see how anything will ever make him change. Whenever we traveled out of Barovia, I always wanted to stay away... to not go back, but my father won't let me and... even if I hate him sometimes, he is still family."

Damia gripped her hair and started to braid and unbraid it, nervously.

"Strahd sends his minions to us from time to time. His winged bats can take messages from us to him. And at night, sometimes he rides down to us upon his fiery steed which can fly. He speaks to Madam Eva and to my father and to the other Vistani patriarchs. If we don't offer him useful information about what we have seen, he gets displeased and will make an example of us. Something like that bracelet you gave me could be useful to him for tracking you down. My father expected me to take something like that from you, but... I liked you. And you were so sweet when we... well, you know. I didn't want to give you up to Strahd."

"It's this sort of reason why I don't want to simply serve him anymore. My people are living in fear, or worse, on a false hope that someday their old prince will suddenly be there again. It's insane. Strahd has been Strahd since before my grandmother's grandmother's grandmother was just a babe. I want to be free of him. When you told me about your ship, and sailing on the sea, ahh, it sounded like a dream. This is why I want to make things up to you."

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
Tser pool

"So the mountain with the savages it is?" Rovana shrugged, not a fan about dooming herself anymore, the last time had landed her with a bunch of troubles now. She had briefly considered the seer a devout but.. there were no churches and prayers, so she let it slip. Plus, so far the seer had actual power, while none of the morninglords folks had been of much use to her.

"So set quick sails." Rovana nodded, cutting herself off enough slices for a days travel. "I see." She pondered, munching deer. "He ain't worth serving if all he has is fear.. a captains duty is also to keep his crew alive, Strahd seems to fancy the literal opposite... I mean, I guess he does keep them going but.." She shrugged.

"So either way, I shouldn't assume the Vistani are friends, just.. other people." Rovana listened to Damias request and patted her on the back. "I'm afraid I can't be allowed to let myself be tracked by Strahd for a while, as you've seen, I got other things to pursue. But if its just information to give him, I can provide." Rovana smirked cryptically, fishing in her pokets. "Trade you for my weapons? Oh and by the by, I agree, the seer said the curse brings out the worst in people, but clearly it had a lot to bring out in Strahd. Perhaps the good prince was there once, but if he was a lot of him was a facade. His lustful obsessions with the Burgeomasters daughter and many others before her and his disregard of others as peasants, that has to have come from somewhere." Rovana tipped her chin, pulling out a folded piece of paper, weighting it in one hand.

"I don't care about absolving or defeating as much as I do about teaching him a lesson of respect for piracy. Your help is appreciated, but if you want more than appreciation, if you want the respect of a member of my crew I'd sail with and.. plan to sail away from here from, once I figure out how, tell Strahd or his messengers of our talk .. up until the point where you disadviced me from walking to the mistfilled mountain. It nay be a lie, just be you not giving Strahd everything you have. Also, give him this, say I made you take it if that helps." She presented the folded piece of paper.

"DON'T Open It. Don't have anyone BUT Strahd open it, place on his open palm, ideally. It be a threat, it be pirate-magic, it be the Black spot. Drawn upon the site where Strahd killed me short timed matey; It says we are coming for your booty and worse. Its power be in the mind of the recipient, usually but..." She presented the folded paper, touching her sword thoughtfully. "In this circumstance, it may well be more than that." Rovana shrugged, nibbling a bit more meat and bagging the rest.

"Well then.. I should get going.. and people should not see you accompanying me, should they? I'm sorry I can't lend you a keepsake to remember me other than this message, but.. I can keep you out of danger for a while." Rovana shrugged, giving Damia a softer smile, leaning close to her for a moment and whispering, with passsion: "Not on the nose or in the eyes, aye?" Then she leaned back, hesitating for a moment and spat on the ground.

"BWA HA HA HA! You want your bracelet BACK? Too bad! It's pretty, so its mine now. Are you daft or something?" She smirked, taking a few steps around the camp, only to turn and posture before Damia again. "I got what I wanted from you, got me weapons back and no one has pointed any crossbows on me. Has no one told you about pirates? We take what we can and give nothing back! Why would a pirate Captain like I do anything or even care much about a Gypsy wench like you? I care enough to be -annoyed-, thats about it. Joe, tell her what us pirates think of wenches like her!" She commanded, raised a hand and waved it dismissively. "Now get out of my sight and play in the mud or something." The hard part was raising her voice only a bit, if you did it too much it became obvious it was a show. Luckily her.. escapade earlier would aid this act quite a lot. She just had to hope that there were more watchful eyes on her than she could see, with just this little act.

Bluff to act all arrogant in front of the other Vistani:
Roll(1d20)+5:
16,+5
Total:21

For moving out:
(Stealth of 12 to move out of the camp at least a bit unseen, first making her way to the wrong mountain, but circling in the distance to make it towards Vallaki.)

Last edited: