• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mists of the North (A Birthright Tale)

Thorjak the Green
    Council Grove at the Sacred Oak, outskirts of Veikanger
    Tag: Malena, Gretta, Brennor and a whole crowd of people

The Grand Druid Thorjak the Green sat in the Council Grove, in front of the Sacred Oak - the oldest tree of its kind in all of Hogunmark. It was a font of powerful magic, whose leylines stretched from the east, to the old land of the Sorcerer, whose rule now fell to the dreaded White Witch.

Overlooking the Council Grove, within sight of the borders of Veikanger, the capital city, stood the Tower of Winter. A gift for an elven bride from the King Aethelbald, praise be to his name - which was now the holding belonging to Malena Aethelbaldsdottir, the half-elven and only scion daughter of the king.

Due to her specific elven heritage, Malena was a natural born sorceress - a rarity in nature, and an almost impossibility for full blooded humans. Sorcery was feared greatly by all Northerners... and especially so in Hogunmark, for the White Witch was a practitioner of magic and had made war on the men of the west. But before her had been a terrible elf known simply as The Sorcerer, whose malice and hatred of humanity had caused terrible sorrow until he was overthrown by the woman who would become the White Witch with the help of the previous king... King Gunnar.

That Sorcerer had been Malena's grandfather. King Gunnar was her other grandfather. It was an awkward point of contention therefore, that the half-blood princess should be an heir to the throne of Hogunmark... Evil blood ran in her veins. Inhuman blood. Witches' blood.

Sorcery was not well-liked in the North.

---

The Grand Druid cleared his throat. Before him were the many ranks of younger druids, and three rows of human children, dressed in the leaf cloaks and laurels of thistle that marked them as druidic acolytes. This was a rare treat for the locals, to hear the Grand Druid, who had come all the way from his personal grove in Fjoltyr to speak on this day that proceeded the Spring Festival.

Normally the King would attend, but he had fallen ill recently and could not leave the city. And so Princess Malena represented the royalty and looked on from her raised dias in the back. Gretta, her childhood friend and loyal houscarl stood by her side. Most people accepted that Malena was the officially invested protector of the Council Grove and the Tower of Winter, but her elf heritage made people afraid to meet her in the eyes. After all... it was said that witches had power over those who met their eyes...

"Our world is Aebrynis." The Grand Druid began.

"And it was crafted for us, lovingly, by the gods. I do not speak of our current gods of course. Not Erik, god of nature, nor the others of our current pantheon. No.

"I speak of the old gods. Of noble Anduiras, clever Brenna, wise Vorynn, far-seeing Masela, the radiant Basaia, and of course, the most sacred to our people, Reynir, the god of the woods and streams, whose blood flows through our great King... and within our noble princess."

There was a solemn nod from about half of the crowd. For those who did not bow, some seemed nervous. Others seemed rigid and stoic, and perhaps angry.

"These gods gave up their very existence to vanquish the last Old God. The Face of Evil, known as Azrai."

"Him and his bloody elves!" Shouted an anonymous voice in the back of the crowd from the peasantry.

There was an awkward silence, but the Grand Druid rose his staff and slammed it down with an echoing boom that could not have happened naturally.

"If not for the wisdom of the elves, who in the moment of truth realized that they must put aside their hatred of human invaders to their ancestral lands... all would be darkness." Thorjak intoned. The were murmurs from the crowd and heads shifted between the Grand Druid and the princess. So it seemed the Grand Druid had declared for Malena...this was news. But was his hand being forced by her mere presence?

"When the old gods sacrificed themselves to destroy Azrai, the land was shaken, and their divine blood was invested into their mortal followers who stood with them upon the field of battle. On that day, every footsoldier who survived was given divinity... the birthright of a king. A power to change the land for the better, and to guide people into peace and prosperity - and the greatest of the surviving champions became the new gods themselves, who now guide us directly, through grove and temple. Our god of nature, Erik, was once a man, once a druid of flesh and blood, like myself or yourselves... and this is a good thing. The new gods know of our mortality and the struggles we go through. They have given our royal bloodline the power to protect ourselves and forge our own destinies. Never forget the power and the presence of the gods. Erik is now in every tree in every stream, in every rock and gust of wind. He is with us, and he blesses us as he blesses our King... and his daughter."

---
    Spoiler

"THAT could have gone better," Brennor grunted from his horseback. He was the closest thing Hogunmark had to knights, wearing a houscarl's mail and light helm as he rode onward. His cavalry battle axe looped in his belt, his rounded shield slung over his shoulder and his great spear in his hand, resting in the saddle sheath and bearing the Princess' banner.

Spoiler

"How do you mean, Brennor?" Asked Gretta, from her own saddle on the opposite side of the Princess Malena, who was riding her snowy white courser in between the two of them.

"Well we all heard it, the shouting and the lack of support. If this is the sort of backing we can expect in our own province of Gundviir... then imagine how the other 12 provinces will react to the idea of Malena's succession?"

"If she wasn't right in front of us now, I'd smack you across the lip, Brennor." Gretta said flatly.

"What for?"

"For that defeatist attitude, or for bothering Malena with what she's already had to deal with for every year of her life. And also for completely ignoring the fact that Thorjak the bloody Green, the high-tootin' Grand Druid of the Oaken Grove just publicly legitimized her.!"

Brennor clammed up at that for a bit, but couldn't help himself from adding "Yeah, it's good, but... the Oaken Grove sect is only popular in the cities. Most provinces listen to the druids of the Emerald Spiral... and they don't see it the same way that Thorjak does."

"I changed my mind..." Gretta said, holding up her horse and getting it to come around the other side of Melena. "I AM going to smack you! Now hold still and--"

*CLIP CLOP! CLIP CLOP! CLIP CLOP! CLIP CLOP!*

An outrider with leather armor and a lightly armored horse was galloping up the road.

"FIRE AND FOES! A raid from the Bloody Skull Barony! They bypassed our rangers and are headed in the direction of Wjulfsdatter!"

"How long ago was this? And how many? What's their make up?" Brennor asked.

"I've ridden flat out from the outposts four hours ago. It's mostly goblins and hobgoblins. They've got trained wolves and wargs, twice as many as they have riders."

"Blast, it's a slaving raid then. There's not much time either, not enough to rally the city forces before they strike the town. We need to go now!" Gretta said, then turned to Malena.

"My lady, protocol dictates that you seek safety in the Tower of Winter... but... if there's one way to get the province's support, it would be to use your magic in defense of the realm," Gretta said with a gleam in her eyes.

Her oldest friend had seen Malena's spells in action before, and unlike most Hoguns, was not terrified by the power of the spells, merely respectful of it.
    Last edited by BlueSlime; 12th March 2017, 09:38. Reason: Wrong link for Brennor's pic

Re: Mists of the North (A Birthright Tale)

Spoiler

Malena's Aethelbaldsotter The Half-Elven Winter Sorcereress
    Council Grove at the Sacred Oak, outskirts of Veikanger
    Tags: Gretta and Brennor

Standing again in front of the Sacred Oak, Malena felt the pulse of the land. Her mind feeling the tangible prescence of the Land's flow in front of her. Her imaginings likening it to a confluence of rivers flowing all together and merging to become a bigger and mighty river before flowing off to deposit.

This place always filled her with a sense of stillness. A place of respite before the next hunt. Malena opened her cold blue eyes as she looked upon the great oak before her. In front of her, the Grand Druid began with clearing his throat. The attention of the younger druids and rows of children in front made her remember when she turned out years ago as a youngling herself.

She hoped her attire is proper for this. She had been assured by her seamstress and the old nan that her cloth is fine and proper. A hearty cloak of soft grays and blue with her family's symbol emblazoned on her back. A silvered pin on her front with the same emblem and underneath it, a fine dress of green decorated with patterns of vines. Underneath that a skirt with decorated patterns in grays, greens and soft yellows. Her hat she currently held, a wide brimmed dark blue hat with a pointed tip.

(Basis of her outfit in spoiler. Not using outfit in her base picture just yet. Not until I get enchanted clothes.)
    Spoiler

Standing on the Dais, her friend at her side, she watched onwards as the Grand Druid began. His words wafting and tinged with authority as he declared the truth of the worlds making. Malena kept her form rigid, stoic, a form of nervous tension as she heard his declaration. Her heartbeat just faster at the mention of Reynir. Her blood sang at the mention of him.

Her eyes zeroed in on where that voice came from in the back of the crowd. She didn't incline or move her head but tried to find who shouted in the crowd. Planning to take note of who is angry enough to disturb the Grand Druids words.

(Perception Roll: 15 (13 + 2))

Malena heart thumped in time with that boom as she turned her attention back to the grand druid. Thorjak's intoning words the suspicion of him being forced with her being here. There had been pauses in his speech, a beat of time before declaring about from whom her blood flowed. At least his finishing words were nice. She prayed inwardly to Kriesha and Erik for strength.

---

Malena remembered the name of her courser, she call her mare Heleg or Ice in Sidhelien. She thought of calling her mare Snow but that sounded like Loss in Rjurik.

"Did either of you see which amongst them shouted out?" Malena's softer words coming out after Brennor's grunt as she rode on horseback. Her hands holding the reins skillfully. "I wish to have a talk with that person. To learn his grievences with me." She didn't look back to the Sacred Oak, instead looking at the Tower of Winter. Her keep.

Malena kept her composure at Gretta's spirited defense of herself. "Brennor, your words hold the weight of truth." Malena allowing leeway for her housecarl's rudeness. "The people, my people, know the tales. Some of them still remember the times of The Sorcerer. While all of them know of our neighbors to the east. I just need to prove to my people that they are holding wrong knowledge of me." Malena's simple assertation, as if all she needed to do IS showcase her skills as a ruler and her people would begin to trust in her.

Malena smiled softly, a small smile, as Gretta brought her courser closer to Brennor's, to give her other housecarl a smack. Only to be interruppted as an outrider rode up.

"Sound suggestion Gretta. Brennor any suggestions? Outrider, is the raid from that direction?" Malena motioned with her hand pointing at the way he is coming from. After listening some more she breathed in and issued her commands.

(Basic command below. I'm assuming sending Brennor or Gretta off to the tower of winter to grab some of her personal soldiers is going to take too long.)
    "We cannot tarry here and wait then. Outrider, ride ahead and warn the city forces. Get them roused and prepared to reinforce. Brennor and Gretta, lets us go." Malena commanded in sharp tones. Breaking protocol is not good. But leaving her people to be captured and used by the goblinoids is far worse. She snapped the reins on Heleg, pushing her snowy courser into a trot. Malena assuming that following the path the outrider came and his horses track would lead to where they needed to go.
    sigpic

A huge Fan of Adventures of Tara! No link in my signature through, instead look above at her posing while barely able to cover her tits.

Comment

Brennor and Gretta
      Gundviir Province, Woodlands
      Tag: Malena

While at the Council Grove, Malena had attempted to sense where the voice had come from, but without turning her head, she wouldn't be able to focus on the area from which the voice had come. As it was, she doubted that he had acted alone. Likely there were many in the crowd who distrusted her simply for being who she was. She did not fit the Rjurik people's idea of a Hogunmark princess. At least not those who roamed with their tribes in the provinces, away from the major cities of Veikanger and Aaldvika.

She was a known sorceress - which was tantamount to being a blood-drinking, baby-stealing witch to some who knew no other possibility for a practitioner of magic. For some reason, the benefits of magic were not seen in the same light as what the Druids did... but that was how it was in Hogunmark. No one had yet convinced the majority of tribes otherwise, and foes like her own grandfather or the White Witch, or the various tainted bloodlines of Azrai only reinforced their fears.

---

"I doubt you would get much out of speaking to someone like that, other than a potential dagger in your belly," Brennor said referencing the individual who had shouted.

"Those are still Hoguns, Brennor. Some of our finest warriors come from those tribes, and certainly our best trackers," Gretta said.

"Well if their skills are being put to use to weaken our rightful future queen, then I say let them stay in their hovels," Brennor muttered.

Later, when the Outrider had come he listened to the princess and dutifully responded.

"Yes, my lady. In the direction of Wjulfsdatter. It's a fortified town, but it hasn't recovered from the last raid, and there are holes in its defenses. Any help at all might drive the goblin cowards back into the woods... as they will fear more reinforcement."

He pointed in the direction that Malena had already guessed.

Heleg whinnied and galloped away, letting Malena's simple cloak flutter in the wind. Beside her Gretta and Brennor galloped on their chargers, and ten more riders from Malena's personal retinue joined in the race across the countryside.

Spoiler

Comment

Spoiler

Gundviir Province, Woodlands
        Tags: Gretta and Brennor

The shouting of the man reminded her of her lessons she learned at hand and knee of her father. Lessons she learned from the few tutors that were allowed in her prescence. The crowd, many of them would distrust her. She is far from their ideal Princess. Far from being the great hunter or the learnt druidic Princess. She could even be seen as an evil seed starting to blossom, roots unfurling to drink dry the land and curse the Rjurik people. The other druidic sect, the Emerald Spiel would not doubt paint her in that manner.

At least Thorjak is giving her a chance to prove herself. Albeit she still felt suspicion needled at her heart alongside a small worry that she quenched. Not even hotheads and drunken oafs in the crowd would dare strike or harm a druid. Her hand squeezed the side of her dress as she listened and watched.

---

"A dagger into my gut?" Malena said, pausing for a few seconds before continuing "I don't see any of them doing that to me with both of you by my side." As Malena smiled.

She refrained from saying more, listening to the both of them arguing.

"Thank you Outrider, pray tell me thy name." As Malena looked at him, trying to not purposefully stare into his eyes and set fear into him but instead allowing him to look her in the eyes.

"Gretta, you are the captain for this defense. To Wjulfsdatter!" Malena called aloud as she pressed Heleg, sending her white Courser into a trot and then into a gallop once her soldiers had rallied up behind and aside her.

Her cloak fluttered and whipped behind her, her breasts shaking and jiggling against her outfit even as her hair whipped and waved in the wind, her hat bouncing at the side of her horse and saddle.

(Animal Handling Roll: 13 (11 + 2)
        sigpic

A huge Fan of Adventures of Tara! No link in my signature through, instead look above at her posing while barely able to cover her tits.

Comment

Warband
          Outskirts of Wjulfsdatter

The outrider gave his name, Sorund, and made haste to ride on and rally the city. With luck, Malena's band of fighters would hold the raiders at bay long enough for the full force of Rjurik cavalry to hound them all the way to the borders.

---

"Yes, your highness!" Gretta said, acknowledging that she would be given command.

"Your highness, I intend to take us towards the mines at the edge of town!"

"What for?" Brennor shouted above the thundering of hooves. "The battle will be at the town gates. The goblin forces will be pressing our men at the barricades! We should link up with our forces to present as solidified a force as we can!"

"That might be true, but the goblins aren't here to conquer. They're here to bring back slaves! Last time the struck our defenses and to see how we'd react! Our non-fighters ran to the mines, guarded by our spear maidens. That's where the goblins will target while our main force is busy! We'll charge at them, and scatter them before they can rejoin their forces, and we'll steer clear of alerting the enemy's reserves!"

"But you don't know for sure that there'll even be any forces there! Or what if they bring their heavy hitters back to the mines instead?"

"Don't worry! I've got a good hunch!" Gretta said, before urging her horse onward.

---

The Rjurik warband reached the outskirts of the town, whose roofs were ablaze and whose palisades were still in a stage of half repair. The gaps in the walls had been filled with spiked barricades, but they were still open enough to require stalwart fighting from the town's militia.

Leaving the militia to continue to fend for themselves, Gretta led the warband north of the town, heading towards the mine, where as good fortune had it, Gretta's ancticipation proved true. Goblin wolf riders were bearing down upon a trail of spear women who were guarding the old and young alike. The goblins were trying to slay the non-combatants and throw nets onto the spear maidens.

Spoiler

"For Gundviir! For Aethelbald and the Mark!" Brennor roared, tipping is spear down and sending it flying through a goblin, unseating the green scrapper from its wolf, killing it in an instant.

"Hyahh!" Gretta unhooked her great sword and let it fall in an arc, using the momentum of her charger to split open another unwary rider.

Following up with her troops, who were cleaving their way through the unsuspecting goblins, turning their ambush of the weak humans into a rout of their own men. Undisciplined wolves howled and ran off into the woods, Brennor's axe and Gretta's sword felled goblins left and right, and with a few well placed icy cantrips, Malena also took down her share of goblin slavers.

Her icy blasts were noticed by the old, young and fighting fit alike, and thankful for their lives, they cheered as they continued toward the safety of the mind.

Gretta took her horn in her hand and blew it to rally the riders to her. All in all, they had killed perhaps 15 goblins without a single loss!

"To the gate! To the gate! Relieve the defenders! Drive the enemy back!"

The riders of Gundviir rounded the palisades and hurled themselves into the flank of the enemies' main force. Another twenty or so goblins, led by an elite pack of five hobgoblins upon worgs. One hobgoblin with a spear and a larger shield bearing the insignia of the Blood Skull, marking him as a captain.

<<Blue hair! Do you see her?! A bag of gold to the gob who captures her!>> The captain of the hobgoblins shouted in the goblinoid language, pointing his spear towards Malena.

Brennor blew upon his own horn, signalling the call for full attack, and an acknowledging blast came from the palisade. The gates flung open and spear fighters rushed out, engaging the goblins with renewed fighting vigor.

Brennor, Malena, and Gretta could charge towards the hobgoblin captain and his elite, or try to circle the goblins and link up to the defenders. As a third option, Malena might allow her own men to fight up front, and seek to find a place from which she could cast from afar to try to snipe targets...

Spoiler

Comment

Spoiler

Outskirts of Wjulfsdatter
            Tags: Gretta, Brennor and Enemy Warband

Malena nodded, keeping a smile from blooming on her face. She hoped that this is not a mistake. The proper choice should be her more veteran captain, Brennor, but Malena had a hunch that the goblins were not expecting a reckless attack on them. Something that Gretta excelled in.

The horses hooves thundering in the background, her cloak streaming behind her even as her hat fluttered against her saddles side, she acknowledged with a nod. Brennor asking why Gretta planned there.

"A good hunch... heheh." Malena's low whisper caught on the wind with a small giggle.

---

Seeing the town with blazing roofs and the palisades knocked askew or outright broken here and there, Malena saw Wjulfsdatter in a vunerable state. A pang of uneasiness went through her heart even as she saw the Militia presenting a steady resistance to the goblins already there.

Following Gretta, her white course with a small tug, had her mare following Gretta's horse's lead. Gretta's hunch proved more then true, Malena's heart feeling relief and then feeling hardness, steely resolve to protect her people and prevent their capture or death.

"For my father! For my Wjulfs!" She shouted, her high voice pitched to carry as she gathered the cool frostiness. Feeling it surge within her heart and feeling it crash through her veins as a mighty avalanche. "Winter's Fury - [Frost Ray]!" She yelled, watching her icy blue beam soar from her palm. Her arcane focus glowing brilliantly. The inset quartz crystal with hints of blue and carved with blowing snowflakes glowing with light which reflected off of her latched wristlet.

Her icy blue rays aimmed squarely at the goblins torso's to freeze their infernal beating hearts.

The fight fierce. Her eyes glittering, her hair swaying around her head, her palm held outward, icy light flickering in her palm as she looked for anymore goblins seeking to take her people. She looked around, only to hear the horn blow, her head turning as she saw Gretta shouting.

She snapped her reins as she pushed her mare, following behind her housecarl as they pushed their horses and rode quickly back to the gates of Wjulfsdatter and the sight of fierce wargs being ridden by goblins stood stark in her mind.

Shouting loudly back in the rough language of the goblinoids <<Be frozen! [Snilloc's Snowball Swarm]!>> Malena yelled in the rough goblinoid language she learned from her tutors, already casting magic from this far away. Pumping out a powerful burst of energy, feeling her heart thrum! Her aimming at the lead goblin, trying to angle where the attack burst to hit at least the leader and his warg plus one other. (Trying to aim to hit all 5, but otherwise, mostly centering her attack on the goblin warleader.)

(Casting Snilloc's Snowball Swarm. Doubling its range by spending a sorcery point. 2/3 remaining after this cast. Range: 180 (90x2) Used up 1 2nd Spell slot. 1 Remaining.)
            [Spoilers]Dex Save DC: 13 | 3d6 Cold Damage: 9 (4,1,4) / 5 on save. [/spoilers]

"Prepare for their charge! I'll soften them." Malena breathed out after her casting of magic, feeling a tiredness touch her mind. (Long Range attack, trying to bait the goblins into splitting their forces and come towards them.)
            sigpic

Comment

Hobgoblin and Goblin Raiders
              Battle of Wjulfsdatter

Pulling up on Heleg's reins, Malena cast her icy ranged spell, using her sorcery to pelt the enemy leader and his nearby minions with ice, nearly unseating his two nearest lieutenants from their worgs.

With an infuriated battlecry, the Hobgoblin elites rushed towards the oncoming humans, who met the battleline with a clash of spears and shields. The neighing of horses, the growling and snapping of worg jaws, and the shouts of human and goblinoid alike filled the air with the ringing of steel.

Brennor led the way into the fray and was the first to bring his axe upon the hobgoblins. Unfortunately, their shields and armor were thicker than the regular goblin grunts. The diminutive goblins were not reliable troops, but the larger, rust and orange-skinned hobgoblins were another matter entirely. They fought disciplined and relied on each other to fight effectively. One hobgoblin blocked the fall of Brennor's axe, allowing the other to thrust with a sword strike that caught the Hogunmark knight upon his side. He howled, but stayed seated on his charger, sweeping his axe side to side to look for another opening.

The Hobgoblin Captain led from behind his men, shouting orders effectively to guide the flow of battle. His men responded to his urgings and within earshot of this leader, the charge of the humans was being repelled effectively.

Gretta was fighting with two other humans against the two fresh hobgoblins that had not been hit by the snowball spell and were now trying to close the distance between themselves and the sorceress.

A flurry of blows led to no resolution, as shield and armor and parrying blades won out over effective attack on either side. Recovering from her own spell, Malena was ready once again to cast in aid of her friends.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Current situation - battle is met, and we are now zoomed in to this confrontation between warband leaders. How well this personal fight goes will have an effect on the overall battle.

Hobgoblin Captain, only slightly grazed by your spell is behind his men, using leadership abilities to increase fighting capabilities.

Two (very injured by your spell) hobgoblins are fighting against Brennor and have cut him.

Gretta and two normal human soldiers are trying to hold off a pair of healthy hobgoblins that are trying to break through to get at you.

You are safely behind the line of battle. Casting an area of effect spell on anyone other than the Hobgoblin Captain risks hurting your own soldiers.

Comment

Spoiler

Battle of Wjulfsdatter
                Tags: Hobgoblin Raiders

The Hobgoblin captain is strong but his underlings is not. She knew that he is the greater threat here and yet... With battle joined fully by both sides. Thunderous clashes ranging out. Her steed standing calm amidst the storm of steel and shouts, the training is good for Heleg. Allowing her to be as calm as her namesake.

"Haah..." Malena breathed out as she focused inwards, feeling the icy swirl of magic from her. She knew that in a few seconds that she'd be in the thick of it. "The cold in the air, swarm around the goblin captain once more. [Snilloc's Snowball Swarm]." She intoned as she looked at the Hobgoblin Captain. The burst of swarming snow roiling around him and his mount.

She tugged on the air around her to freeze her surroundings, giving her a safety precaution. (Bonus Action: Cold Magic - Making small objects to create difficult terrain. Broken and Slippery ice.)

(Using up Sorcery Point again. 1/3 remaining. Using last 2nd Level spell. Rolls and DC in spoiler)
                Spoiler
                sigpic

Comment

Hobgoblin Captain and forces
                  Battle of Wjulfsdatter

"Hwwraaaaggh!" bellowed the Hobgoblin captain. His worg mount also howled as they were barraged by a flurry of sharp, freezing magical snow that assaulted their skin and eyes. The worg tried to scamper forward and slipped and slid, its movement hampered by the magically created ice.

It made its way slowly, but entered into short range Malena's spells as the Captain entered combat, facing down Gretta. His massive, crude looking sword crashed against her finely forged greatsword, forcing the smaller fighter backwards, her mount rearing up in the face of a mean looking black worg with a hideous scarred mouth. Gretta swung back wildly, but was easily blocked.

Again the two healthy hobgoblins traded blows with the Hogunmark riders, neither side finishing off the other.

With a battle cry, Brennor buried his battleaxe into one of the Hobgoblins' heads while batting the other away for a moment with his shield. He noticed that Gretta was in trouble and outmatched by the fierce, massive Hobgoblin captain, but he couldn't quite disengage from the remaining fighter.

------------------------------------------------------

The hob captain has definitely been injured by the snow spells, but he's still looking tough. He got a nasty hit on Gretta and has forced her back for the time being. If he gets through her, he'll be able to ride directly towards Malena.

The human fighters and other two hobs have been whiffing against each other.

Brennor just killed one hob and only has a very injured hobgoblin fighter left to kill, then he can ride to help others.

The overall battle is still in the balance, but both rank and file sides are very aware now that the two generals are in hand to hand combat, with the princess not far away (roughly 50 feet now from you to the evil captain).

Comment

Spoiler

Battle of Wjulfsdatter
                    Tags: Hobgoblin Raiders

"Haah...haah.." She felt her blood thrumming inside of her, the casting of that second spell. She shan't be able to cast again like that for a while. Not until she had some way to recuperate. Her breathing evening out even as the bellowing cry of the captain echoed across the battlefield. Her eyes noted the enraged captain steadied himself.

Focused and brought himself closer! Striking at Gretta! Her friend's blocking his blade straining greatly before pressing it aside, only for her return swing to catch nothing but erstwhile shield and knocked her blade aside. The two sides, the clash of steel not as great as they all watched the fight between Gretta and the evil goblin captain.

She knew what she had to do. Brennor is strong. He has already taken care of one of the weakened goblins and is now taking care of the other. "Ice within me, heed my call and thrum. Shine upon my foes! [Frost Ray]!" Focus flashing as she held and fired off a ray of frost at the Hobgoblin captain. Blast aimmed central at his body.

(Rolls in spoiler.)
                    Spoiler
                    Last edited by Diagasvesle; 18th March 2017, 05:52. Reason: Edit: Removed final line due to it feeling wrongish.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hobgoblin Captain and forces
                      Battle of Wjulfsdatter

Malena's wintry ray of frost strikes the hobgoblin leader in his arm, slowing his heavyblow just enough for Gretta to duck her head out of the way as he cleaved toward her. A rime of frost covers the enemy's body as he rounds on her, only to feel her blade bite deep into his chainshirt, drawing a bloody gash across him.

He howls and wrenches on his worg's reins. And the semi-intelligent creature speeds him away in the direction of Malena. Prepared for the enemy to dash away, Gretta swung again, this time decapitating the rider, his grimacing face falling from his shoulders and the body tumbling lifelessly the other way off to the side of his mount.

The worg itself rushes maddeningly towards Malena and Heleg, even as the goblins, seeing their leader fall in battle, immediately begin to cut and run. As soon as they do this, the battle is effectively over, as they are either scattered or swiftly cut down as their defenses are dropped.

The beastly, dark-furred worg mount rushes up to Malena, but there is enought time for the sorceress to take action before it is upon her.

"Your highness! Watch out!" Gretta calls, spurring her horse after the worg.

"I'm coming!" Brennor said, having killed the other hobgoblin he had been facing off with and now riding back to rally around his princess.

Comment

Spoiler

Battle of Wjulfsdatter
                        Tags: Crazed Warg

The sight of her ray cooling and slowing the evil captain that offered gold for her pleased her and shamed her in equal measure. PLeased at defeating her foe. Shamed at taking pleasure in the fact. The emotions were shelved as she watched Gretta slice him handily.

The clang of chain against sword and him snapping his reins, she prepared herself only to watch in satisfaction as Gretta claimed his head. Loping it off with practiced ease but! The warg howled, maddened and ran at her. The speed of which the evil creature approached. She pulled on her innerself, coiling heat different from her coldness. Tingling and arcing inside of her blood as she held up her hand above her head!

The spell prepared in her mind! Casting it as the warg entered her range! "BEGONE FROM MY SIGHT! [THUNDERWAVE]!" She shouted loudly! The boom of a thunderstrike echoing out from her!

(Action: Prepare Spell Thunderwave and cast it as a reaction once the warg enters its range of 15 feet. On the safe side, casting it at the 14 foot mark.)

Spoiler
                        sigpic

Comment

The Worg
                          Battle of Wjulfsdatter

The Thunderwave booms out, echoing through the valley and making the trees shift in the resulting sonic wind. The worg is certainly hurt, but it is a big and veteran beast, perhaps tougher even than its former rider was. It keeps its feet by dropping low to the ground, and then once the spell is past, it springs at Malena, ripping her down and threatening to drop her into the snow and mud.

Gretta and Brennor each call out in unison and with dismay, and are dashing towards their princess.

[It barely made its CON save. It hits easily with an 18 and does 9 damage to Malena. She must make a DC 13 STR save or fall prone.]

Comment

Spoiler

Battle of Wjulfsdatter
                            Tags: Crazed Warg

The wave of sound rushing from her upheld hand petered out just after it flared over the warg. The creature hunkering down and letting it flare over it! The blast wave flattening and kicking up the land around the worg. But the vile dog! The vile hound of that goblin! Resisted.

Malena's eyes widened as the fierce claws ripped into her calves, catching and pulling her out of saddle and tearing her skirt and dress. Leaving shredded clothes that revealed hints of pale legs and faint red marks.

"Ungh!" She grunted, hitting the ground and rolling with the blow and gaining herself back up, still in the range of the snapping jaws and fierce claws of the damned worg. The noise around her quieting as she looked her enemy in the eye.

Hands snapping out, thrusting at the worg away, cold light seeping from inside of her. Heart pounding she snapped out "....uck! [Ray of Frost]!" Malena feeling the flash of cold leap from her veins through her focus and out at that worg!

Spoiler

The ray of frost blasted from her palm outwards! Crossing the distance between them in an instant. Smashing into the snapping fangs of the worg, the ice flowing into its open mouth. Her icy powers swirled on the insides of the worg, coating its head in hoar frost and freezing its throat and lungs. The massive worg hacking and coughing before her! "Haaah..." She breathed out as the worg... fell in front of her, cold ice leaking from his mouth.

She looked up, peering to see the battle, already gathering her energies...
                            Last edited by Diagasvesle; 18th March 2017, 07:50. Reason: Edited in Death of Worg.
                            sigpic

Comment

DM
                              Post-Battle
                              Tag: Malena.

With her palm extended, the worg had desperately attempted to bite the sorceress' hand clean off, but this in the end had been its undoing, as the icy blast issued forth, straight down the monstrosity's gullet. Its jaw froze immediately, unable to continue the snapping motion that would have cleanly severed the hand at the wrist. Instead, the beast's momentum now carried it forward and on top of the wounded, but very much alive princess. Its bulk caught on her dress and ripped it down the seam, causing the right shoulder and arm of the dress to split away from the rest. This had the effect of tearing down her cleavage, exposing her bountiful orbs.

Fortunately, the men and women of the militia who had been watching were unlikely to notice this from afar. They were only aware that the princess had helped in the battle with her ice magics and had killed a worg on her own, despite having been bitten and pulled down off her horse. A cheer rose up among the town defenders who weren't busy chasing off the remaining goblins.

Brennor and Gretta however swiftly came to either side of her, and noticed the mishap with the dress. They both heaved the worg's weight off of her and Brennor shifted off his brown bear's fur cloak to drape it over the princess' body.

Both of her captains seemed embarrassed to have seen her like that. But Gretta helped her to feet and adjusted Brennor's cloak.

"Nothing to say, really," Brennor said, looking around. "A good fight, we all picked up a nice scar or two. And the people of Wjulfsdatter are safe."

"Thanks to the magic of the princess and my brilliant leadership!" Gretta grinned, though she winced and held the wound at her side. Brennor had been right, they would all need to have a visit with the town healer to get patched up.

"Har! Well, there's no doubt you had the killing blow. A nice trophy you have for yourself, houscarl," Brennor said, then added "And a warg head for the princess, if she's a mind for it."

Now on her feet, with the danger passed, Malena was able to walk Heleg into the town of Wjulfsdatter. Over the next few hours the fires were put out, and runners were sent to bring the non-combatants home. The rest of Malena's regiment, two score of mounted houscarls, along with another score of outriders arrived after having been alerted in Veikanger. They were relieved that Malena was alive, and that casualties were relatively few.

The chieftain of Wjulfsdatter, Jarl Kohneg, had been injured in the fighting, but his son, Crassus, captain of the militia, saw that the princess and her captains were brought to the longhouse, where druids were tending to the injured and already, plans for a victory feast in Malena's honor were being prepared.

"We were thankful that you came when you did. Your spells are rightly feared, your highness, but the people of Wjulfsdatter will not soon forget that they were used in defense of our sons and daughters," Crassus told Malena with a smile and a bow.

Malena would have time to rest and would be healed fully by a tending druid before the night time and the coming feast. She would be able to do as she pleased. Meeting with either or both of her captains, speaking with the Jarl's son or the Jarl himself from where he was being tended to by healers. She could also walk through the town as well, to see the people. Or anything else that might occur to the sorceress.

Comment

Working...
                              X